• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks, okay I just talked to him but then didn't bother buying anything. Does he actually take the feathers from you? What category do they fall under, valuables? Because I don't see any in my inventory anymore

Yeah, it's under valuables. Talk to him and the guy stores all the feathers for you. If you don't, you can only hold 255 at a time in your inventory.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
what do, get those level 99 trophies in the ng+ or in the current run where I'm at level 85-90.
uhm, it takes forever in this run to level up even at the EX dungeon and you can finish ng+ with all those bonuses in like 5 hours.
I did it in the first playthrough, that extra 1200 GP helped me out.

what do, get those level 99 trophies in the ng+ or in the current run where I'm at level 85-90.
uhm, it takes forever in this run to level up even at the EX dungeon and you can finish ng+ with all those bonuses in like 5 hours.

Depends if you'll want the extra grade points for new game+.

demidar

Hmmm... Alvin with Aviators and Ten Gallon or Aviators and sideburns...

I gave him half-frame glasses when I got them. He seems so... trustworthy with those on.
lol

I've had Jude dress up as a kid going to his first day at Wizarding School with a party hat, a backpack and a snot bubble. Also gave Leia a tophat and a pipe w/ mustache, and I should put the monocle on her as well.

Holmes

Level 99 trophies in NG+ if you don't wanna buy pay to win level up DLC. Much faster and less annoying, you'll need to two playthroughs for platinum anyway.

Hmmm... Alvin with Aviators and Ten Gallon or Aviators and sideburns...
Aviators + Hat (+ Swimsuit).

I hate how they did bosses in this game.

1. You can't combo bosses beyond like 5 hits before auto counter bullshit.

2. When they go into overlimit they spam one move over and over again non stop until they hit then do a mystic arte.

When I hear ELEMENTAL HYMN ELEMENTAL HYMN ELEMENTAL HYMN ELEMENTAL HYMN repeatedly there is something wrong.

Please don't tell me the bosses are the same way in Xillia 2.

FSLink

Banned

2. When they go into overlimit they spam one move over and over again non stop until they hit then do a mystic arte.

When I hear ELEMENTAL HYMN ELEMENTAL HYMN ELEMENTAL HYMN ELEMENTAL HYMN repeatedly there is something wrong.

They're the same in Xillia 2.

chrono01

Yeah, it's under valuables. Talk to him and the guy stores all the feathers for you. If you don't, you can only hold 255 at a time in your inventory.
The question is, what do I spend all of the feathers on!? I have around 175 and I don't know what to do with them so I'm just stock-piling them.

Bladenic

The question is, what do I spend all of the feathers on!? I have around 175 and I don't know what to do with them so I'm just stock-piling them.

I've never spent them lol. However the last item on the list, some type of ore, sells for 10k so it could be useful for some quick gald.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I was wondering when someone would complain about that one. It grated on me, and it enforces that the player do something that I genuinely don't like doing in Tales at all.

And that's the boss design in Tales games since Tales of Hearts, right into Tales of Xillia 2. Unless someone starts to learn how to design bosses better, it's probably going to stay this way. Regular fights are fun, but bosses are just squandered.

chrono01

I went for omega elixers mostly because I knew they would be helpful in some of those boss battles.
Thanks, I'll keep that in-mind!

I'm a bit wary on purchasing items like that, though, since I have my non-playable party members on "Auto Item" and I'd be afraid of them wasting a great item like that. As for why it's on Auto Item? I'm going for the trophy. ~_~

I've never spent them lol. However the last item on the list, some type of ore, sells for 10k so it could be useful for some quick gald.
Yeah, I might just keep em' sitting there. I'm not really hurting for Gald, or anything else really [since Food, especially ones that increase EXP and Gald, are easily purchasable].

Thanks, though. I'll have to remember that should I find myself with a Gald-shortage!

Neki

I was wondering when someone would complain about that one. It grated on me, and it enforces that the player do something that I genuinely don't like doing in Tales at all.

And that's the boss design in Tales games since Tales of Hearts, right into Tales of Xillia 2. Unless someone starts to learn how to design bosses better, it's probably going to stay this way. Regular fights are fun, but bosses are just squandered.

Well how do you make a challenging boss fight without it getting extremely cheap? One on one fights are easy to control, but if it's 4v1, how can you balance it so a boss can't be chain combo'd to death.

Okay so I just got Rowen, now I can't decide who to use

I'd like to put him in, but I'm using Jude, love Alvin, and Elize heals, so that just leaves Milla, but I feel bad not putting her in, especially cuz I'm always linked with her and she has a link for pretty much every Jude Arte...

Does everyone get the same exp and stuff whether they are in or out of battle?

chrono01

I'd like to put him in, but I'm using Jude, love Alvin, and Elize heals, so that just leaves Milla, but I feel bad not putting her in, especially cuz I'm always linked with her and she has a link for pretty much every Jude Arte...

I use Jude [playing as him], Milla, Alvin, and Elize. I do not need anyone else, although I really do like Leia. ;_;

I have Jude paired with Milla since they're amazing together, Alvin is great for breaking guards [and I enjoy his personality], and Elize is a healing/status-improving battle machine. Wuh-HEY! There's no way I'm going to let anyone die, little buddies!

As for the XP question, those in your party still gain XP although, supposedly, it's at a slightly lower rate. I haven't really noticed a drastic difference so far, though.

MechaX

Okay, I think I got to the part in the game that fuels the dislike for Jude.

Warning: Late game spoilers for a certain event in Hamil.
Holy fucking shit at Jude channeling Edge Fucking Maverick in terms of having depressive fits. I'm actually kind of glad that it was relatively short-lived, because I don't think I could have taken more than 30 minutes of Jude acting like that while Leia assumes the Reimi role of "kinda has to call the shots because her boyfriend is in full Shinji Ikari mode."

Also, I know there is absolutely zero evidence for this, but I'm going to assume that Jude somehow used his concentration shit and knew that Leia was not grievously injured by Alvin's shot. I'm going to give Jude the benefit of the doubt, because I would hate if I was playing as a sociopathic character who could not give two shits about an assumed death of his oldest, and possibly one of his closest friends even one fucking time in that cutscene and is like "dur hur letz be friendz again traitor man" to the person who possibly killed said friend. That would just be silly.

scarlet

my team: jude, elize, leia link with jude, rowen .. sometimes i change leia/rowen with milla to link her with jude

i rarely use alvin.

there's a skill to share bonus exp if you're in the bench.

Rhapsody

Banned

It's slightly lower if they don't participate in battle, but not enough to really matter. There's a skill that lets you get bonus EXP for not being in your party too though.

Edit: I'm currently at the end. Just spending all this time doing boring subquests.

I'm trying to prep for the special skills titles so I've been switching around people and links fairly regularly. I have a feeling the partner skills are going to be a real pain in the arse, apart from Elize's, her's was maxed out ages ago. Teepo was draining like a motherfucker.

Also the perfect guard should have been the default activation for Leia's elongating staff. Since getting the skill for it, I've spent most battles with her staff extended. For some reason her backstep activation seemed to have a much smaller window than Jude's shifting manoeuvre.

MechaX

So you hate
Alvin
too right?

Truth be told, I still don't know what to make of Alvin in that scene. Like, I understand his overall frustration, but his motivations and actions just don't line up for me. Okay, killing Jude (and I guess Leia) can get him back home... as if Muzet would actually help him do that, and Exodus doesn't even have a leader anymore. Okay, he kills Leia and laments that he "did not mean for this to happen." Uh... so what was the point of this entire altercation again?

I really just don't know what to make of that scene, let alone the character as a whole at this point.

FSLink

Banned
I use Jude [playing as him], Milla, Alvin, and Elize. I do not need anyone else, although I really do like Leia. ;_;

I have Jude paired with Milla since they're amazing together, Alvin is great for breaking guards [and I enjoy his personality], and Elize is a healing/status-improving battle machine. Wuh-HEY! There's no way I'm going to let anyone die, little buddies!

As for the XP question, those in your party still gain XP although, supposedly, it's at a slightly lower rate. I haven't really noticed a drastic difference so far, though.

I believe reserve members don't get bonus EXP and that's it.

I always used Jude/Elize/Leia/Milla or Rowen depending on the enemy weakness or if I'm going for more Link Artes. Alvin was decent for normal enemy battles too.

Truth be told, I still don't know what to make of Alvin in that scene. Like, I understand his overall frustration, but his motivations and actions just don't line up for me. Okay, killing Jude (and I guess Leia) can get him back home... as if Muzet would actually help him do that, and Exodus doesn't even have a leader anymore. Okay, he kills Leia and laments that he "did not mean for this to happen." Uh... so what was the point of this entire altercation again?

I really just don't know what to make of that scene, let alone the character as a whole at this point.

I always thought that Alvin just wanted to go after Jude but didn't seriously want to harm Leia. After he saw what he did he clearly had some regret.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Completely understandable; I feel like the game really falls apart starting from that cutscene. If it's not falling apart it's going in some odd direction it shouldn't have.
I have yet to play Milla's side though; not sure if it gets better.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Yeah, this was the weirdest scene in the game. My interpretation is that
both Jude and Alvin had lost any real reason to live, and had no idea where to go, what to do, or what to believe. Alvin clung to the idea of being able to go home (his original intention) regardless of how shady it was that Muzet (the recently-homicidal maniac) is the one who offered the opportunity to him because he had nothing else to believe in or live for. Jude is still a fifteen year old kid and has gone through a lot of nonsense for his age. He's gone from being an honors student at the top of his class, complete with a promising future, to becoming a wanted criminal and losing both his mentor (Haus) and his newfound role model/reason to live (Milla) and having literally no direction or purpose or guidance in his life. I think both Jude and Alvin were at the end of their rope, and not thinking clearly, hence the emotional outbursts and irrational actions/thinking on their parts.

That being said, I feel like that entire scene could have used more exposition or build-up. It seemed very sudden and awkward.

Finalow

Depends if you'll want the extra grade points for new game+.
mh, I should check if I need those extra grade points then.

elemental hymn?

anyway there is no real strategy, just grind or lower the difficulty.
and yeah, you can't combo them that much until the blue exclamation point of death comes.

Rpgmonkey

The bosses do a lot of the same crap, but I felt Xillia 2 was much better at giving you enough tools to handle and get around all the BS. At least some of the bosses also seem to have a little more variety in Overlimit, though connecting with their Mystic Arte attack is usually still their main priority.

It starts out annoying and similar to Xillia 1 with ridiculous nearly unpreventable spamming, but as the game went on and I got more or upgraded abilities I actually felt like I was capable of fighting bosses in a normal manner. Around the latter half I actually started to find some of the bosses fun. :p

ohlawd

beat the game the second time on Milla's route.

Game is now my second worst of 2013, it used to be first so it moved.... down? Bamco must be happy by this outcome.

Funny how the only way I can derive any sort of fun is by being tremendously overpowered. The battle system is garbage but better than Graces F's, there's only like three good songs, plot sucks but is it ever good?, overworld design sucks, almost all the towns sucks.

Cast is fucking great, though. Skits are only good if the characters are good as well and thankfully, we got that. Level 99 on the hilarious meter, little buddies!

Driselle and Leia are my waifus, Rowen is mai husbando~

It's up to you. Definitely make sure to grab that thing for 100 feathers that allows you to equip 20 artes. Beyond that, get whatever sounds good.

BY2K

Membero Americo
beat the game the second time on Milla's route.

Game is now my second worst of 2013, it used to be first so it moved.... down? Bamco must be happy by this outcome.

Funny how the only way I can derive any sort of fun is by being tremendously overpowered. The battle system is garbage but better than Graces F's, there's only like three good songs, plot sucks but is it ever good?, overworld design sucks, almost all the towns sucks.

Cast is fucking great, though. Skits are only good if the characters are good as well and thankfully, we got that. Level 99 on the hilarious meter, little buddies!

Driselle and Leia are my waifus, Rowen is mai husbando~

It's your second worst game of 2013 and you still beat it twice?

Bladenic

I'll show myself out the door :(

We can at least agree on Xillia having a better battle system than Graces F, right?

....right?

ok I'll off myself with this shotgun.

Haha it's your opinion. :) no biggie. If its one thing that I think most Tales games have is great battle systems, but it's fine if you don't agree.

FSLink

Banned
We can at least agree on Xillia having a better battle system than Graces F, right?
Definitely not. Even if you like TP management over CC, Xillia is not as well balanced both in its bosses and party members being broken. Graces is better designed, even if I did enjoy Xillia's battles more at times. That doesn't even include additional systems like the cooking systems that complement the battle systems, where Graces easily wins free.

Are you saying that no one has complained about this yet? It completely invalidates the combat system and reduces it to punch punch punch backdash x infinity because if you try to combo you just get knocked down due to blue exclamation bullshit. I don't see how this is an improvement compared to previous games where some bosses had soft counters that could be broken through.

elemental hymn?

anyway there is no real strategy, just grind or lower the difficulty.
and yeah, you can't combo them that much until the blue exclamation point of death comes.

Elemental Hymn is
Muzet's
arcane arte that is spammed in Overlimit.

I'm not having a problem with difficulty, I just think it's stupid that I'm forced to reduce how I play instead of being able to use the combat system creatively.

The bosses do a lot of the same crap, but I felt Xillia 2 was much better at giving you enough tools to handle and get around all the BS. At least some of the bosses also seem to have a little more variety in Overlimit, though connecting with their Mystic Arte attack is usually still their main priority.

It starts out annoying and similar to Xillia 1 with ridiculous nearly unpreventable spamming, but as the game went on and I got more or upgraded abilities I actually felt like I was capable of fighting bosses in a normal manner. Around the latter half I actually started to find some of the bosses fun. :p

That's kind of disappointing to hear. I had hoped they would listen to feedback (I'm assuming JP players complained about it) and removed it for the second game.

So I guess when I look up combo videos for this game after I'm done my playthrough it will most likely be versus normal enemies since bosses neuter the combat/combo system unless there's a glitch or exploit that someone has found to circumvent it.

One thing I liked in Graces over Xillia is how all your artes are mapped automatically.

Even with the artes ball I still struggle with what artes to cut out.

I wonder what kind of system their next game will be. They said it was going to be for next gen consoles right?

Finalow

i think im near the end game. besides the devil arm stuff, are the best weapons unlocked from the store, or are there sideevents that get those?
you get only an Elize weapon from a sidequest and it's really good, I think it's even better than her level 100 weapon you unlock at the shop.

Rpgmonkey

That's kind of disappointing to hear. I had hoped they would listen to feedback (I'm assuming JP players complained about it) and removed it for the second game.

So I guess when I look up combo videos for this game after I'm done my playthrough it will most likely be versus normal enemies since bosses neuter the combat/combo system unless there's a glitch or exploit that someone has found to circumvent it.

It's not completely removed, but the weakness system makes it easy enough to combo bosses. Characters like Ludger and Milla who have an attack of every element are especially good at building combos for lots of damage.

The combo breaking isn't really random or completely unavoidable anymore, they don't break out of attacks unless the weakness gauge is completely empty, you're not hitting them with a weakpoint attack, or you don't connect attacks quickly enough and they recover. And once you get a certain skill, you can make it so your first attack counts as a weakpoint hit and start a combo with almost any arte you want. Not perfect, but I found it flexible enough to be acceptable.

And yeah, I think the Xillia combo videos are all on normal enemies. :p

demidar

I'll show myself out the door :(

....right?

ok I'll off myself with this shotgun.

I disagreed with that in the Project X Zone thread and I'll disagree with you in this thread. That stance is literally unfathomable to me, and I mean literally in the strictest sense of the word.

Edit: Regarding to what to spend black feathers on, I recommend either Red Savories (increase TP by 20) or the one right below it (Rosemaries I think, increases SP by 2). Both of these costs 25 feathers mind you, the stat up herbs are 15 apiece. The reasoning is as follows: Stats such as Agility, Strength, etc. reach such high numbers that +2 isn't gonna mean much. Same thing with HP, +20 doesn't mean much when you're in 4 digit numbers. However +20 TP is a huge benefit especially to the non-casters since that's easily a 5-20% increase as TP works up to 999 as opposed to 9999 for HP. TP is also recovered in battle by hitting enemies, and it seems to recover on a %percentage basis (about 0.5% to 1% per hit as far as I can eyeball it) so increasing max TP also increases TP recovery. Getting SP up herbs should be pretty obvious, it's an alternate, infinite way to gain SP and +2 points makes a fairly large impact on what skills you can equip, and there's no other ways to increase your SP outside of the Lilium Orb.

Top Bottom