• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

wilflare

Oh, I found a Limited Edition unboxing, Just Push Start.

... Man, that packaging's disheartening to see. Not only a lack of a manual but using the inside cover for all that safety garbage rather than printing art there. Granted at least you get something of a nice initial run package, but that booklet really does look tiny.

hmm guess it's not that worth it.
hmm wonder what's inside the booklet though.. as in it'll be nice if JPS provided some shots

RPGCrazied

Wow, that outer box does look cool, shiny and raised text. But wtf at the art book, it looks even smaller than the CE's, and doesn't even look hardback. I will laugh if the CE gets a 50 page one, and the LE gets a 20 page one. :/ I'm use to no manuals this generation, so seeing it not there really doesn't bother me.

Never change Namco.

Kayos, how long until that avatar leaves? At first it was funny and then it was depressing and now finally scary. lol

That avatar worked perfectly well ..so many requotes , even out of context ..Just impressive :

image.php

Scary avatar bets :)

Necrovex

This is going to be a painful endeavor: I have to finish Xenoblade before I pick up Tales of Xillia.

That avatar worked perfectly well ..so many requotes , even out of context ..Just impressive :

image.php

Scary avatar bets :)

Kayos is the poster child of why not to have avatar bets.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tales of Graces has the better battle system though.

It wasn't nearly good enough to make up for the horrible everything else for me. Vesperia is my favorite Tales and I enjoy the combat a lot either way. Going back to Symponia might be rough but otherwise I'm not very hard to please there.

Bladenic

I don't get the hate for Tales of Graces. Sure, the story and characters are bland (minus Malick and Pascal) but it has the best battle system of any Tales game. And I liked all the characters much better during the Future Arc.

I was actually kind of mad at how much better the story, theme, and characters were in Future arc compared to main arc. That said, I thought the future arc was a little too short, but it's mainly because I wanted more of the good stuff. Skits were great. If the characters were like that throughout the whole game they would have been top 3 for Tales casts. As it stands, I only use Malik (one of my faves) and Pascal, along with a bit of Hubert.

Rhapsody

Banned
I was actually kind of mad at how much better the story, theme, and characters were in Future arc compared to main arc. That said, I thought the future arc was a little too short, but it's mainly because I wanted more of the good stuff. Skits were great. If the characters were like that throughout the whole game they would have been top 3 for Tales casts. As it stands, I only use Malik (one of my faves) and Pascal, along with a bit of Hubert.

Kinda interesting since I thought most people thought Future arc was worse.
I liked the beginning of it kinda since it was neat to see what everyone was doing.

And yeah, skits were pretty great in that. It's the only place where I enjoyed the Graces cast.

Artorias

Banned
I have the CE preordered already, but I've preordered and then canceled the "LE" 3 times now. Why does it have to have such a pretty box? Are the cds identical aside from jewel case vs sleeve?

Kinda interesting since I thought most people thought Future arc was worse.
I liked the beginning of it kinda since it was neat to see what everyone was doing.

And yeah, skits were pretty great in that. It's the only place where I enjoyed the Graces cast.

For the most part I've only seen people who thought L&L was better, except on the Tales Forum where it seems to be the opposite opinion.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought the Future Arc was better, myself, for similar reasons: better skits, a nice tie-up for everyone at the end of the game, and Accel Mode being transferable to the main game.

I can see people disliking it because it's unbalanced as hell, though.

FSLink

Banned
For the most part I've only seen people who thought L&L was better, except on the Tales Forum where it seems to be the opposite opinion.

That's because of shipping I'd suspect. Tales forum has quite a few of those.

EDIT: ^ and the above, the balance is kind of dumb.

solid mike

How come reviewers are already publishing their Dragon's Crown livestreams and early thoughts but I don't see any love for Xillia?

Eusis

Admittedly that's not something I fully understand as I tend not to want to gorge on media leading up to a game, certainly not straight up playing more than a few minutes at most, but the game has been out quite awhile in Japan so there's probably plenty to watch on that front.

Yazuka

I don't know about the embargo for US, but it seems like the embargo in EU is the 6th. So things should start to pop-up soon.

Rhapsody

Banned
The shipping felt almost forced (or rather, blatant), so I thought it would annoy some people. There were hints of course in the main story and then they made a lot of dialogue revolve around it for the Future Arc, but I digress. Battle system was a blast though.

Yazuka

What exactly is shipping? I hear it just about all the time when talking about Tales. But I can't seem to figure out what it means.

Eusis

What exactly is shipping? I hear it just about all the time when talking about Tales. But I can't seem to figure out what it means.
It's a term for fans pairing characters up romantically. Frequently may not make any sense whatsoever.

ohlawd

Putting characters in relationships, usually romantic.

Like uhh... iunno... Ash x Misty. That shit will never happen in the franchise but fandom gonna fandom.

Kuro

Putting characters in relationships, usually romantic.

Like uhh... iunno... Ash x Misty. That shit will never happen in the franchise but fandom gonna fandom.

Excuse me, what? Ash and Misty will be together forever... just you wait!

Never understood why whenever a JRPG has great battle system, the story an characters suffers. Likewise, if the story is better, the battle system is worse.

It's like they decide to focus on one thing and sacrifice the quality of the other.

Why can't we have both!?

Dio

Banned
Never understood why whenever a JRPG has great battle system, the story an characters suffers. Likewise, if the story is better, the battle system is worse.

It's like they decide to focus on one thing and sacrifice the quality of the other.

Why can't we have both!?

My argument for games that have both are Grandia and Tales of Destiny PS2 Remake. Trails in the Sky, too.

I would assume it's less of 'focusing on one' and more 'this team has great writers and this team doesn't' or something.

My argument for games that have both are Grandia and Tales of Destiny PS2 Remake. Trails in the Sky, too.

I would assume it's less of 'focusing on one' and more 'this team has great writers and this team doesn't' or something.
You're probably right. I was just thinking about how the dev team could've just easily copied/paste Graces battle system and call it a day, but instead made something worse.

Sometimes it's hard to understand why that happens especially with sequels.

Ugh, I'm too old for this shipping discussion.

Let's not do this. -_-

I see you've yet to play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, SMT4, or Digital Devil Saga. Go do that.

Yes, these are things that need fixed.

I'm not really against shipping though, I just find it amusing. People are free to do as they like.

If too many do it, they tend to drag the quality of the character design and development down or burn out the creators (who backlash, and it ain't never pretty).

Rhapsody

Banned
You're probably right. I was just thinking about how the dev team could've just easily copied/paste Graces battle system and call it a day, but instead made something worse.

Although it is kinda nice that Tales try to experiment every so often. Xillia might've had some flaws, but it's a step in the right direction for a "Symphonia" styled game.

demidar

If too many do it, they tend to drag the quality of the character design and development down or burn out the creators (who backlash, and it ain't never pretty).

I don't see how that works. Besides, new games always have a new cast, excepting obvious sequels. Even so, it's up to creators to filter out why people like [insert character here] and whether it should be implemented into future designs.

Eusis

I see you've yet to play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, SMT4, or Digital Devil Saga. Go do that.
Seconding this.

Although, it DOES seem odd to me with Tales of Xillia how apparently the core of "Team Destiny" apparently got story duty, whereas the core of "Team Symphonia" got battle duty. That sounds kind of backwards, though given that when the two Xillia games are put together you get the best story in the series it really does call into question why Destiny games suffered. Or maybe there was more crossover in creative direction and somehow we had a peanut butter and chocolate effect here for story, while gameplay... Uhhh, I think someone said it was better than Vesperia at least?

FSLink

Banned
Seconding this.

Although, it DOES seem odd to me with Tales of Xillia how apparently the core of "Team Destiny" apparently got story duty, whereas the core of "Team Symphonia" got battle duty. That sounds kind of backwards, though given that when the two Xillia games are put together you get the best story in the series it really does call into question why Destiny games suffered. Or maybe there was more crossover in creative direction and somehow we head a peanut butter and chocolate effect here for story, and gameplay... Uhhh, I think someone said it was better than Vesperia at least?

Haha I remember when Xillia was first announced people were baffled at this. It mostly worked out though. Xillia 2 has a lot of Graces' style touches to the Xillia 1 battle system, and the story in that is phenomenal from what I've read about it (I haven't finished it yet).

It's not really a case of sequels though, they had multiple teams working on different games because Namco couldn't stop farting out so many Tales games (in Japan of course). If you look at the series like:

Destiny 2 JP->Rebirth->Destiny Remake->Graces

and

Symphonia->Abyss->Vesperia

There's a clear progression and reuse of certain design decisions. It just so happens one style is better at battle systems/subsystems, the other is better at plot.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if a lot of people are cancelling CE pre-orders. I've been reading that everywhere.

I wonder if they could end up with a bunch of extra stock and then never bother with a collectors edition in North America again.

MogCakes

I wonder if a lot of people are cancelling CE pre-orders. I've been reading that everywhere.

I wonder if they could end up with a bunch of extra stock and then never bother with a collectors edition in North America again.

It IS pretty expensive, heh. Anywho, I really liked Graces F's combat, so much so that I could overlook the entirely crap plot. It's rare that an RPG does that, I'm looking forward to this game.

Azusa

CE is very expensive and bonuses are bad, very bad. Figure is ugly by comparing it with Alter figure of Milla. Artbook is small and additional pages also aren't worth the price they are asking. Day 1 edition + Alter figure is much better choice.

luokyl

Oh, I found a Limited Edition unboxing, Just Push Start.

... Man, that packaging's disheartening to see. Not only a lack of a manual but using the inside cover for all that safety garbage rather than printing art there. Granted at least you get something of a nice initial run package, but that booklet really does look tiny.

Disappointed :\

I've got the PAL version pre ordered, a manual would be good.

Esura

Banned
CE is very expensive and bonuses are bad, very bad. Figure is ugly by comparing it with Alter figure of Milla. Artbook is small and additional pages also aren't worth the price they are asking. Day 1 edition + Alter figure is much better choice.

Getting Day 1 edition + Alter figure not only nets you a smaller artbook but it increases the price even more than the CE. Alters aren't cheap at all (tis why I don't have one yet... :( ). That said it is absolutely gorgeous though.

kewlmyc

I really want to get an Alter someday, but they haven't made any characters that I'm really really want yet.

EDIT: Changed my Collector's Edition to Limited Edition. Needed the $40 for something else. Not that big of a loss, don't really feel like having a figure for a character I might not even like.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
kayos90's avatar will forever be etched in history thanks to the OT.

Bladenic

The shipping felt almost forced (or rather, blatant), so I thought it would annoy some people. There were hints of course in the main story and then they made a lot of dialogue revolve around it for the Future Arc, but I digress. Battle system was a blast though.

Hubert/Pascal was definitely weird and left field but it was kind of cute and funny too.

Anyway for Xillia I'm pre-shipping Jude/Alvin, Milla/Teepo, Leia/Rowen, and Elize/Jiao. Come at me. :p

Top Bottom