• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

I was actually holding off on Dragon's Crown in favor of this.

However, with the reviews from Dragon's Crown being great so far, along with the kind of disappointing unboxing video for the CE on IGN, I think I'm going to switch over to the LE this afternoon and grab Dragon's Crown as well on Tuesday.

Still pretty hyped about the game, just more hyped about Dragon's Crown than I was.

Proven

Hubert/Pascal was definitely weird and left field but it was kind of cute and funny too.

Anyway for Xillia I'm pre-shipping Jude/Alvin, Milla/Teepo, Leia/Rowen, and Elize/Jiao. Come at me. :p

They had little things throughout the story so I was expecting it, but I like more how they handled it
as almost nearly unrequited love.

Eusis

Well apparently stores are starting to receive their shipments, so no "day after street date" debacle with this game (though it has been years since I last remember that happening)

https://twitter.com/flamfas/status/363028769885261824
Hopefully someone gets their hands on a CE and actually opens the damn game case itself so we can see whether they got an identical copy or premium treatment. I'm thinking it's the former despite Ni no Kuni's precedent, but nevertheless.

RPGCrazied

Hopefully someone gets their hands on a CE and actually opens the damn game case itself so we can see whether they got an identical copy or premium treatment. I'm thinking it's the former despite Ni no Kuni's precedent, but nevertheless.

The artbooks do look different. The CE looks hardback with 50 pages, the LE looks softcover or cardboard stock with 20 or so pages? Looks pretty dang small from those LE unboxing pictures.

Flamfas

The artbooks do look different. The CE looks hardback with 50 pages, the LE looks softcover or cardboard stock with 20 or so pages? Looks pretty dang small from those LE unboxing pictures.

I think he means what's actually inside the game case (not the cardboard, the case that holds the disc)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
uggh... not convinced the CE is worth it, but it shipped from Best Buy today... so whatever.

unfortunately the LE isn't very convincing as an alternative.

This new "get the very bare minimum out the door" is just cheap. It makes it blatantly obvious that companies are forcing us through shoddiness to head towards digital download. SMTIV was REALLY cheap aside from the first print goodies. If I paid $50 for a later print run and just got a case and a cart.. oh man...

Persona7

Banned
Well apparently stores are starting to receive their shipments, so no "day after street date" debacle with this game (though it has been years since I last remember that happening)

https://twitter.com/flamfas/status/363028769885261824

I talked to a friend I know at gamestop and they are apparently going to get the regular edition of the games tomorrow and the CE editions on monday.

In my experience it is mainly the small niche publishers that ship their games on release date and they are delayed by a day. All of the games I pre-ordered at gamestop this year were a next day pickup except for Anarchy Reigns which was published by Sega. Everything else was by a smaller publisher.

Flamfas

I talked to a friend I know at gamestop and they are apparently going to get the regular edition of the games tomorrow and the CE editions on monday.

In my experience it is mainly the small niche publishers that ship their games on release date and they are delayed by a day. All of the games I pre-ordered at gamestop this year were a next day pickup except for Anarchy Reigns which was published by Sega. Everything else was by a smaller publisher.

Ah, that probably has to do with it.

But, as pictured, you can see my store already got their Collector's Editions in (or, at least one of them lol). Guess it depends on location (and I'm in North America - maybe things are different in Europe)

RPGCrazied

Wouldn't Amazon have to ship out before the weekend if it wants to get to people with release date shipping? My estimated delivery date is the 6th.

Eusis

I think he means what's actually inside the game case (not the cardboard, the case that holds the disc)
That's what I mean. NnK got different treatment for the Wizard's Edition versus the Standard so it's not out of the realm of possibility, even if it looks less likely this time.
This new "get the very bare minimum out the door" is just cheap. It makes it blatantly obvious that companies are forcing us through shoddiness to head towards digital download. SMTIV was REALLY cheap aside from the first print goodies. If I paid $50 for a later print run and just got a case and a cart.. oh man...
That's what's most frustrating about minimizing the packaging. First print run goods helped make up for it with SMT4 (though I do wish it was a FULL strategy guide and not a starter guide...) and I don't mind a bit extra for a meaty game, especially a niche one that needs to profit more per copy anyway, but I do hate how they practically go for minimum costs rather than try to make the package somewhat nice, even without a manual. It's not like we're buying $5-10 DVDs or something where I kind of expect being that cheap requires cutting corners, but rather ostensibly premium goods that should get a little extra put in within reason. Ideally physical would be about getting those "feelies" while digital would be just about getting the damn game, but instead it feels more like going physical's more about trade-in rights or lending at best, and the likes of Microsoft WANTED to wreck that too.

Admittedly these day one versions are something of a consolation prize, but it does drive the notion to just wait on price drops further if I don't get it soon enough.

Hubert/Pascal was definitely weird and left field but it was kind of cute and funny too.

Anyway for Xillia I'm pre-shipping Jude/Alvin, Milla/Teepo, Leia/Rowen, and Elize/Jiao. Come at me. :p

looool Some very right and some very wrong ...

nice picks BTw

jeebus, ships already before the game is out?

am i the only person around who tries to go in blind as much as possible for most games as in terms of characters? I might read up on some battle mechanics and maybe basic character info on protagonists, but that's about it :/

btw: what difficulty should i play this on? i usually enjoy tales games on normal, but graces was a bit too easy on normal, so idk.

Normal difficulty is alright.it's not like you can't change the difficulty if you want ( at any time ) Up or down and then again the game give you the option to retry the boss fights if you lose

Rpgmonkey

btw: what difficulty should i play this on? i usually enjoy tales games on normal, but graces was a bit too easy on normal, so idk.

Harder difficulties in Xillia are basically there if you think the battles at a lower difficulty are too short.

There's almost no changes to enemy attacks or AI, and there aren't any significant bonuses or changes to the game mechanics. I would just do Moderate if you think the fights on Normal are too short, it gets pretty annoying past that.

actually, the main reason i play normal in tales games because the only real difference ive found in difficulties is battles take longer and i need to waste more time revive the dumb ai.

They really do needa rethink ai control. Cancel all actions and retreat, motherfucker is about to hi-ougi! should be a button press.

The End

Ugh, why is this coming out the same day as Dragon's Crown.

Sigh, I guess I'll have to live without the LE costumes when I pick this up in September at some point.

Rpgmonkey

actually, the main reason i play normal in tales games because the only real difference ive found in difficulties is battles take longer and i need to waste more time revive the dumb ai.

They really do needa rethink ai control. Cancel all actions and retreat, motherfucker is about to hi-ougi! should be a button press.

Yeah that describes the harder difficulties in a lot of Tales games pretty well. Some of them rely more on changes to the mechanics than large stat multipliers, but most of them basically just multiply stats.

Eternia actually let you command the AI to Jump or gather together, but they never really expanded on it past that.

This game really intrigues me but I've never played a Tales Of game and I'm worried I'll be disappointed if I make the $ investment and it fails to be satisfying :(

Guess I'll wait for reviews or someone on here

This game really intrigues me but I've never played a Tales Of game and I'm worried I'll be disappointed if I make the $ investment and it fails to be satisfying :(

Guess I'll wait for reviews or someone on here
Pick up vesperia for cheap if you have a 360. Or abyss 3ds.

Pretty sure graces f is probably kinda cheap these days too.

The shipping felt almost forced (or rather, blatant), so I thought it would annoy some people. There were hints of course in the main story and then they made a lot of dialogue revolve around it for the Future Arc, but I digress. Battle system was a blast though.

This was basically my problem with all the skits, plus the fact that by concentrating so much on who's shacking up, it made every character seem even more one-dimensional than they already were.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So something happened and I'll have my copy tomorrow. I hope to still have the review out by Tuesday but... who knows. lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So something happened and I'll have my copy tomorrow. I hope to still have the review out by Tuesday but... who knows. lol.
You can beat the game incredibly fast by now anyway.

Aeana's time of 30 hours is actually reasonable. I'd say 30-40 hours.

Voror

I just remembered; I really wish we were getting the Star Driver costumes.

Aww, I forgot about those. I was kind of bummed about never getting the Code Geass costumes as well for Graces f.

Speaking of, this all reminds me that I never finished Graces. I probably should, but I'm likely incredibly rusty at combat and it would take a while to learn again. I'll probably just play Xillia first then go back.

Oh, and thanks to the advice from those who have played it about trophies. I'm not too big on them, though I do like getting them nonetheless if that makes any sense. I'll probably just do as much as I can but save anything I don't get for the second playthrough.

Kind of sad the trophies don't seem too based on actual skill or anything though and that it carried over to Xillia 2. Same on the highest difficulty not being unlocked till a new game +. I rather liked playing on Chaos on Graces once I got it. Except for Kurt who I had to turn it down for.

You can beat the game incredibly fast by now anyway.

Aeana's time of 30 hours is actually reasonable. I'd say 30-40 hours.

I'm glad someone posted an average length of the game because I was just about to ask that question. 30-40hrs sounds pretty good. I'm guessing if you play the new game+ and try to complete all the sidequests, this game is considerably longer.

Unless this Aeana person did all the sidequests in their playthrough. Did they?

Persona7

Banned
Wouldn't Amazon have to ship out before the weekend if it wants to get to people with release date shipping? My estimated delivery date is the 6th.

They always ship the day before release using overnight delivery for release day delivery. At least in my experience.

Top Bottom