• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

FSLink

Banned
the only tales game i played is symphonia and i loved that.

are the battles 1-4 player co-op?
Co-op battles are a series staple outside a few exceptions (legacy titles, portable titles, and Legendia).

Also after some consideration I'm cancelling my preorder for the CE. The IGN video makes it look underwhelming and I'm not interested in the statue. Would have ordered two if it was a Teepo plush instead. Still getting my LE.

Sagitario

And the in-battle skits where they can sometimes be chatting away at the enemy or with each other.
nct7tRd.jpg

One of the little neat things I have always loved about Tales: conversations between the party and the bosses during the figth. I find them amusing and immersive.

FSLink

Banned
The other Tales will blow your fucking mind, then, because Symphonia is one of the worse Tales games.

Disagree, though I do think it falls short due to its age now. Mainly the battle system.

But in a series with Phantasia GBA, Versus, and Tempest, and considering most of the great titles weren't localized here (Rebirth, Destiny remake), it's decent.

It also helps its one of the few Tales games where the sidequests don't make me want to rip someone's head off.

Dio

Banned
Disagree, though I do think it falls short due to its age now. Mainly the battle system.

But in a series with Phantasia GBA, Versus, and Tempest, and considering most of the great titles weren't localized here (Rebirth, Destiny remake), it's decent.

Well, when I say 'worse', I'm stacking it against Hearts DS, Destiny Remake PS2, Hearts R, Vesperia, Graces F (yes F is better at actually being a game), Eternia, Rebirth, and even Innocence R as being better than Symphonia.

FSLink

Banned
Well, when I say 'worse', I'm stacking it against Hearts DS, Destiny Remake PS2, Hearts R, Vesperia, Graces F (yes F is better at actually being a game), Eternia, Rebirth, and even Innocence R as being better than Symphonia.

Yeah, I agree that those titles are better.

Yes! Cant wait for this. Playing Ni No Kuni right now and hopefully I'll be able to get through it before this comes out (doubt it though).

FSLink

Banned
Is that bad or pretty spot on?

I'd say if you are a fan of the series, it's more of an 8 or maybe even a low 9 depending on what you're looking for (story or battles?); otherwise sounds about right. I haven't read the review yet though. Keep in mind it is Edge, a 7 is good coming from them iirc, whereas it's average elsewhere.

jimi_dini

that's the Collector Edition right
I'm referring to the Day One Limited Edition (first print)
unless the artbook and CD in that video is what I'll get too

Music CD is supposed to be exactly the same.
Artbook is supposed to be almost the same (50 pages instead of 100). I guess size is exactly the same.

Danj

Wow so this is out next week? Wonder if I can free up some money in my budget to get hold of it, where's the cheapest place in the UK to get a standard edition/Day One Edition/whatever they're calling the one that isn't the collector's edition?

RPGCrazied

Sadly, the difficulty levels have no effect on your battle rewards, unlike other Tales games, which is super stupid.

Is there a beat "final boss" on harder mode type trophies? If not, no real reason to play at a higher level of difficulty.

so if I thought tales of abyss was about an 8... I guess i'll probably dig this a bit?

so how does milla play? videos make her seem a bit different from your typical 'magic knight' in the series who more often then not have 2 distinct skillsets of melee moves or slow casting spells and not many moves that combine both.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
so if I thought tales of abyss was about an 8... I guess i'll probably dig this a bit?

so how does milla play? videos make her seem a bit different from your typical 'magic knight' in the series who more often then not have 2 distinct skillsets of melee moves or slow casting spells and not many moves that combine both.

Milla's a bit... different from your average Magic Knight in the fact that while she does have physical Artes she also has Magic Artes. However, there are two ways to use her Magic Artes. You can either hold them down to make them spirit artes, which are your typical magic artes, or make them in to melee-ranged magic artes. you'll have to try it out to get it.

You can combine both because mila as a fighting character has no weaknesses.

She is excellent close range or long range , can bind ennemies for you , and you can start a sword combo , and go magic as close range if you wish , given that you're linked to another character. Easily one of the most broken magic knight in the tales of franchise.

But yeah she is fun to play as.

kayos90 told you about spirit artes and magical artes, right ? she has also advanced magic artes later in the game that allow for a mix of close range magic almost at no downside ( it's fast, powerful ,cancellable, comboable )

Bladenic

I'll probably be trying to platinum the game as I did Graces (except I never finished getting the plat :( ). Anything noteworthy I should know? Missable side quests are still around? Should I use a guide for those? Dark Schala you've platinumed the game like a dozen times, what do you recommend? :p

Stuart444

I'll probably be trying to platinum the game as I did Graces (except I never finished getting the plat :( ). Anything noteworthy I should know? Missable side quests are still around? Should I use a guide for those? Dark Schala you've platinumed the game like a dozen times, what do you recommend? :p

be prepared to use every character at least once. Meaning you need to use each characters special ability (ie Judes backstep -> warp ability) 150+ times. It's a bit of a grind so it might be worth switching the characters around while you play to try and get some of those trophies out of the way during the one playthrough.

Aeana

be prepared to use every character at least once. Meaning you need to use each characters special ability (ie backstep -> warp ability) 150+ times. It's a bit of a grind so it might be worth switching the characters around while you play to try and get some of those trophies out of the way during the one playthrough.
This ability is amazing, by the way.

RalchAC

I'm expecting a 7.5 from metacritic so this is about right. Also, Edge is harsher towards JRPGs so I'd say this is more positive than negative.

I think at least spanish websites will rate it above average due to the fact that it is Multi-5, specially Vandal. The 3 most important game portals here (Vandal, 3DJuegos and Meristation) reviewed Ni no Kuni with 9+ (when it scored 85 in Meta).

Well, the hardest difficulty is unlocked when you beat the game, so people should be aware of that if their only experience is with Graces.

It's just like with the other games for people familiar with past games localized from the previous generation.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Why does this flaw keep happening? It waters down the difficulty as you've played thru it once already too.

Dragoshi1

Graces felt short and small compared to Vesperia.

Vesperia had tons of skits, funny characters, fun gameplay, and tons of things to do, plus the best overworld map I have ever explored in a Tales game. And best story IMO, since Vesperia was the first tales I beat completely.

I also went into Vesperia after watching the prequel movie, so I had some familiarity with Yuri, Flynn, ect.

I hope Xillia is just as good for me, from that one English skit with the bazongas from that con, I can see the humor isn't lost with this one.

graces was pretty much, we made an awesome battle system, huzzzah!

ohhh... i ate some bad,

*shits out the rest of the game*

Is this a 8-4 joint?

I just have this weird tendency to quit playing J-RPGs at the very end of it. I got to the end of Persona 4 but didn't beat the final boss until about 4 years later, and I'm sitting at the final boss of EO4, and I have FE:A at the final chapter (or thereabouts, 25 or something) and then I realize I haven't started SMT4 yet and halp ;_;.

Wow, I suffer from this same affliction. Never met anyone else. Took me 3 years to beat ff7, even though I got to the end in a week. I just left it there. I was 36 hours into FFXII when I stopped and it's been seven years. I think my most egregious so far is 63 hours into Xenoblade(EU release, one of only 4 games I've ever imported) when I stopped playing. It's weird, but at least it isn't just me.

Chake

Banned
Wooo, so much ToG hate here. Is the game even worth to be finished? I bought it full price, and am not sure since i have tons and tons of game that i want to play first.

MilkBeard

I guess I'll be playing on easy.

I guess the real point of the adjustable difficulty, for me, is that everyone can tailor the experience to their liking. With my experience with Graces, I started the game out on normal difficulty, and then after I became accustomed to the battle system, I bumped it up one notch harder. I didn't do it simply for experience but just to have a good fight, but yet not be too difficult. Graces f would have been a complete pushover on easy. But that's the beauty of it, if you want that sort of thing, you can do it.

EDIT:
Wooo, so much ToG hate here. Is the game even worth to be finished? I bought it full price, and am not sure since i have tons and tons of game that i want to play first.

It depends on taste, really. I bought Tales of Graces f day one, full price, and I played through to the end and had a blast. The story does get pretty weak, but it does have its moments. However, the battle system and extra stuff was enough for me to keep playing and enjoy it.

SaintZ

I don't get the hate for Tales of Graces. Sure, the story and characters are bland (minus Malick and Pascal) but it has the best battle system of any Tales game. And I liked all the characters much better during the Future Arc.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, this game is pretty easy to plat. A little tedious mostly due to making sure you don't miss out on sidequests and skits, but still easy.

Is it easy to miss quests? I will do all of them I see, the NPC's with ! over their head. I always play a skit when I see it.

Whats the most annoying trophy to get in this game?

Wow so this is out next week? Wonder if I can free up some money in my budget to get hold of it, where's the cheapest place in the UK to get a standard edition/Day One Edition/whatever they're calling the one that isn't the collector's edition?

Pre-ordered from Amazon today for £33.99, same at Tesco.

Top Bottom