• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

there really isn't that much to hate about alvin, its more about how other people think about him.

everyone trusts him after each betrayal, and are somehow still shocked everytime he betrays them the next cutscene.

I thought it was justified for the most part.
After the first betrayal everyone was constantly on edge around him, and I'm pretty sure it was said that if they didn't bring him along he would just follow them, anyway, so they might as well let him help with fights. Plus they could at least trust him to be as dishonest with everyone else as he was with them, like sending the Chimeriad on a wild goose chase to give the group a chance to escape. It seemed like a case where even with the backstabbing, the pros of having him around still slightly outweighed the cons.

The major exception was
when he shot Leia, but that definitely had a different mindset to it. That wasn't so much Alvin being his usual scumbag self as it was being thrown off the deep end after Milla's death. Jude didn't take it much better, so he probably didn't think he had too much of a right to judge, though he did beat the crap out of Alvin for it. Alvin never really gained the party's full trust until the end of the game.

Finalow

I finally did it.
1Lbf6527.png

how many tales games are there where you actually have lost a major party member? Ones that don't feel like temp characters, in terms of skill lists and what not.

how many tales games are there where you actually have lost a major party member? Ones that don't feel like temp characters, in terms of skill lists and what not.

I think this is crazy spoiler territory so I'll just all block spoiler

Leon from Tales of Destiny dies little past the half way point, also in the original release you can only bring 2/4 from Mary, Chelsea, Bruiser, and Karyl to the final third of the game.

Kratos/Zelos from Tales of Symphonia whichever you essentially don't pick

Arguably Asch from Tales of the Abyss, he replaces Luke for part of the plot and has full access to his artes and skills AND has a few spells and moves Luke can never get, he's borderline temp though for how little of the game you can actually use him without cheating

Maybe Richter from Tales of Graces Wii, haven't played that version but I know the f campaign wasn't in the original so once he left you never got him back

That's pretty much it unless there is a Japanese only game I've not played that has more

Is there a good place to grind for the rare monster titles / trophy? That and the link arte chains are going to end up being the only ones I don't get by the time I finish the game and post game dungeon at the rate they are going.

I don't really know why they made the number for required link arte chains so much higher then the link arte number considering they come around far less often. Feels like the required numbers should be switched.

Congrats!

If everyone else has the patience, I see it being an uncommon platinum much like the JP one was.

4GykuXr.png

Kinda surprised it isn't a higher percentage though I guess it's just due to a small sample size.

It's so irritating that Narikiri dolls aren't a series staple yet.

I agree. More Tales games need to have them.

Same. Maybe in the next Destiny styled game they'll be back.
One of the most fun times I've had was having 4 Liliths in a party. Rainbows, fish,and Thunder Swords everywhere.

All my jealously. I really do want to play Destiny R.

Hah, my PS3 would literally (figuratively) melt down.

If they released a Gintama costume pack, I would be forced to buy it. That's my cost, that's my line. Good thing it will never come to pass!

I'm pretty sure Rita OL meteor spam is what fried my launch 360 lol

demidar

I'm pretty sure Rita OL meteor spam is what fried my launch 360 lol

Tales of games love their cool looking spell effects, it's half the fun of being spellcaster.

So while downloading SMT4, I decided to take all my characters through the Grandmaster Coliseum. I've learnt that Elize is remarkably durable, and with a Mystic Emblem or better equipped (faster casting) she is really deadly. She can whether most attacks and Mystic Artes due to Auto Aid, she can cast Revive on herself, Teepo X attacks are extremely powerful and some cause darkness. You'd think Elize couldn't get a spell off but a Teepo Roar can guard break and another would force a down, then you can follow up with a Dark Wings/Negative Gate/Dark Visitor/Ignite Terror which will completely destroy the enemy (faster casting is necessary here).

I didn't know Rowen got spell Glory, jeez as if he wasn't broken enough already.

Apparently doing a Mirage Assault gives super armour/Glory. You can use it to dodge most attacks and get around humanoid characters and land a critical. It's about as strong as a Snap Pivot for non-Jude characters without the built in bonuses Snap Pivot gives for avoiding damage and counterattacking, which is very useful for spellcasters who can't take that much damage and have subpar end-of-attack recovery animations.

The spell part of spellsword for Milla is okay, although her spells are extremely powerful in both damage and stuns getting them off is hard solo. Perhaps she would do better with a Mystic Emblem. Otherwise her attack artes and summons are excellent. Her spirit shifted artes are also great, multi Flare Bombs, Lightning Rondo and Wind Blades deal lots of damage, gives loads of mobility and covers huge range respectively. If I do have problems with her, it's that one direction of her Mirage Assault is grounded and the other sends her up in the air, and I can't really abide by these asymmetries. Same thing with Rowen, one direction uses his sword, the other throws his dagger.

Alvin's biggest downfall is his terrible recovery animation time which feeds into his slow normal attack animations. This can be somewhat fixed by your normal chains with a Mirage Assault though, since it grants super armour. His artes come out fast though, but relying on them will burn through his TP like crazy, requiring a Spirit Emblem or something. I wish the charge finishing animation was cancelable too, it breaks flow having to wait for it to finish, same with the animation of retrieving his gun from his sword. At least he can guard break with ease.

Yeah Elize is ridiculous with an accessory that auto heals her, especially if she's your slave and Teepo is feeding off the enemies

When I play Alvin my goal is to never lose charge due to the cool down leading to him getting hit. You always have to keep count of your charges.

And yeah Rowen in human hands is also godly, he does so much damage with his spells.

RangerBAD

So I have a question for people who completed the game (both sides):
As a spirit, was Milla male or female? Alvin made a comment in a skit as to Jude asking if he would prefer the male model. That's leaving me confused. And did they make a yaoi joke in one of the skits in regards to a "catcher"? o_O

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jude's palm strike is so goddamn ridiculous. It can usually destroy bosses just by constantly using that, as it'll stun them, milla will bind them, and you can get off a lot of hits.

SaintZ

So I beat the
Golden Mage Knight.
That was an awesome fight! Bless Elize for being quick with Resurrection.

I'm 5 sub events away from that trophy, argh.

Slightly OT but was there any news of the new Tales game that asked the question "will you destroy the world for the girl?"?

Here's the link
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/15/next-tales-of-game-asks-would-you-destroy-the-world-for-a-girl/

Any ideas if this will be a current or next gen game? I hope next gen as the PS3 already has 2 Tales games coming out next year in NA but if its ready for a 2014 release I wouldn't be surprised if its PS3 only.

Edit: judging by the date was it
Tales of Xillia 2? Please answer in spoiler tags.

FSLink

Banned
Slightly OT but was there any news of the new Tales game that asked the question "will you destroy the world for the girl?"?

Here's the link
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/15/next-tales-of-game-asks-would-you-destroy-the-world-for-a-girl/

Any ideas if this will be a current or next gen game? I hope next gen as the PS3 already has 2 Tales games coming out next year in NA but if its ready for a 2014 release I wouldn't be surprised if its PS3 only.

Edit: judging by the date was it
Tales of Xillia 2? Please answer in spoiler tags.

Answer to your question:

*spoiler filler text* Yes it's Xillia 2. *spoiler filler text*

Videoneon

Tales of games love their cool looking spell effects, it's half the fun of being spellcaster.

Yes. It's why I ran Asbel, Pascal, Cheria, and Malik in Graces in my story playthrough and had lots of fun setting preferences to B. Flood the screen with colors and sound effects and all sorts of overstimulation. A player-controlled Asbel is enough to manage aggro, most of the time. Cheria is a healer too, just in case. It's not an ideal party otherwise, but fun to watch.

I can't wait to be able to handle the Coliseum in Xillia. I'm not there yet....

I think I may have made a boo-boo with my New Game+...

I only had so much grade to work with, but I took half-levels, items, 2x EXP and.... Devil's Arms. Now everything dies in one hit. Which is fine... but it's really boring toward the beginning of the game.

demidar

Yes. It's why I ran Asbel, Pascal, Cheria, and Malik in Graces in my story playthrough and had lots of fun setting preferences to B. Flood the screen with colors and sound effects and all sorts of overstimulation. A player-controlled Asbel is enough to manage aggro, most of the time. Cheria is a healer too, just in case. It's not an ideal party otherwise, but fun to watch.

I can't wait to be able to handle the Coliseum in Xillia. I'm not there yet....

The coliseum in this game is pretty disappointing, so don't get your hopes up. Although I think this is the first localized Tales game to feature coliseum battles against your own party members, so there's that.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

I only had so much grade to work with, but I took half-levels, items, 2x EXP and.... Devil's Arms. Now everything dies in one hit. Which is fine... but it's really boring toward the beginning of the game.
Unknown difficulty?

Just don't use devil arms. If you do, you are gonna be op no matter what you do. (Jude in my new game+ has 5000+ p_atk with his devil arm and I'm not even done with chp2 yet)

Bladenic

Auto Aid on Elize is insanely broken. It heals a ton, kicks in a lot, and in Grandmaster Arena it would kick in and actually change her position in mystic artes (like Final Fury) and prevent some of the attacks from connecting. I love her. Wish I had played as her more. She's probably the 2nd or 3rd most broken character, behind Jude and flip flopping with Rowen.

Auto Aid on Elize is insanely broken. It heals a ton, kicks in a lot, and in Grandmaster Arena it would kick in and actually change her position in mystic artes (like Final Fury) and prevent some of the attacks from connecting. I love her. Wish I had played as her more. She's probably the 2nd or 3rd most broken character, behind Jude and flip flopping with Rowen.

Gotta agree on Jude and Rowen being pretty broken. Plus playing as Rowen is boring as hell since I can just nuke everyone as soon as the battle starts.

Started playing as Leia recently and I'm actually really enjoying it. Just wish they gave her better aerial control. And activating that elongated staff is a bitch. I always get hit during the back-step.

I've been playing mostly as Leia since I got her, she's fun. I have a hard time remembering the inputs for each arte when I'm constantly switching characters lol.

Bladenic

Gotta agree on Jude and Rowen being pretty broken. Plus playing as Rowen is boring as hell since I can just nuke everyone as soon as the battle starts.

Started playing as Leia recently and I'm actually really enjoying it. Just wish they gave her better aerial control. And activating that elongated staff is a bitch. I always get hit during the back-step.

Leia would have been a lot better had she gotten Milla's aerial skills and some skills to improve her buffs, duration times especially.

Try playing as Leia and making Jude the slave character, his speed shared abilities help her a lot

Bladenic

You also get a skill for Leia where a flash guard activates her elongated staff, it's awesome and way easier to do than back step. Should have been the default IMO.

Finalow

Rowend and Jude are broken indeed.
I played Jude a lot so when I tried other party members they felt so fucking slow. with Rowen you just spam fireball and everything is dead.

MechaX

I feel emasculated for doing this, but I have to turn the difficulty down to easy for this Ex Dungeon Boss.

It's not because he's too hard, but sweet jesus, why did Namco give the boss that much health?

Yuterald

That Coliseum scene was probably the best directed/choreographed cinematic I've seen in the game so far. It was pretty well shot with good camera pans and cuts, etc. Was the first time in the game where I actually felt interested in the characters and what was going on.

MogCakes

The devs REALLY like Jude. Aqua sweep, the fastest attack recovery times, fastest running speed, and snap pivot. Doesn't make sense considering he's just a teenage med student. Maybe it's his
creeper abilities

Just finished the game and it was certainly a good game. Not amazing by any means but very solid. Great gameplay, solid story and characters and decent soundtrack. Graphics were pretty awful and it really looked like that the development of the game started on Wii... for jrpg most of dialogue were also at least bearable (before this last jrpg I had played was XIII-2 so maybe that affects things too lol). Voice acting was decent too after you got used to it. Milla had by far the worst dub though. Even after getting used to all other voices her voice still sounded out of place in some cutscenes. I also thought at least three times that the game ends here but then it continued =D
(after first battle against gaius, after battle against gilland and after battle against maxvell)

Top Bottom