• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Finalow

Try setting your character to manual.
I am but it's still so fucking bullshit. even if the chara doesn't guard I still have some protection and I need like 10 hits + 1 to go down, I'm trying to do this shit vs boars and I'm getting 2 restore every 30 minutes.

I am but it's still so fucking bullshit. even if the chara doesn't guard I still have some protection and I need like 10 hits + 1 to go down, I'm trying to do this shit vs boars and I'm getting 2 restore every 30 minutes.

Trees or horses?

Oh! Get rid of Glory on Jude as well if he has it equipped.

Proven

Sounds like someone's not playing on Semi-Auto :p

Can't use Semi-Auto when you have a love affair with mid-range attacks. For an example in Xillia, there are times when I want to quickly do a basic attack and then fire a lot of shots with my pistol. I don't actually want to get up on the enemy right away because it'll take too long to get there (keep combo, do a quick finish before turning to another enemy, etc.)

PKrockin

Man, this game is ONE big trip/hike back to Fennmont. 17 hours in and my objective remains the same...=/
That reminds me, the first 15 hours of Vesperia is
trekking across the world looking for that asshole who stole the town's cheapo aqua blastia. You'd think Estelle could just arrange to get a new one.
lol

FSLink

Banned
Can't use Semi-Auto when you have a love affair with mid-range attacks. For an example in Xillia, there are times when I want to quickly do a basic attack and then fire a lot of shots with my pistol. I don't actually want to get up on the enemy right away because it'll take too long to get there (keep combo, do a quick finish before turning to another enemy, etc.)

Semi-Auto is silly if you want to do stuff like use projectiles from a far (Demon Fist/Fang).

PKrockin

I don't use Alvin but I'm pretty sure Semi-Auto only moves you closer if you're actually out of range for those distance moves. It certainly doesn't move me into melee range for Demon Fist. Have you tried it?

Oh wow they really don't do you any favors for indicating which artes are the one which give you access to MA, I had those artes for the entire battle with
Rachigal and totally had no idea they were the ones needed

It was pretty clear to me, they just don't tell you about MAs until after that battle...

Well I thought it was weird in a game where you could freely chain between any attack and any arte as long as you had AC the concept of an arcane arte seemed out of place. It was kind of an "oh... OOOOHHHHH!" moment for me. Though this does make me sad because whenever I do this game 4 player no one will be able to use MAs :(

Bladenic

Well I thought it was weird in a game where you could freely chain between any attack and any arte as long as you had AC the concept of an arcane arte seemed out of place. It was kind of an "oh... OOOOHHHHH!" moment for me. Though this does make me sad because whenever I do this game 4 player no one will be able to use MAs :(

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there an after battle pop up that days how you use mystic artes after you get an arcane Arte? May just be confusing it with the boss one but I recall a player one too.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there an after battle pop up that days how you use mystic artes after you get an arcane Arte? May just be confusing it with the boss one but I recall a player one too.

I got my arcane artes a few battles before the end of chapter 2, but didn't get the message until my first random battle of chapter 3

Celcius

°Temp. member
You know the part where Ivar
hit the rock with his sword and then it broke and seemed to stab him in the head? (when they needed the wyverns)
How did he not die from that?

You know the part where Ivar
hit the rock with his sword and then it broke and seemed to stab him in the head? (when they needed the wyverns)
How did he not die from that?

It was a trick sword used in Ivar's magic show. He was hoping he could perform that trick before everyone left so that Milla would be worried about him and he'd finally win her favor.

Proven

I don't use Alvin but I'm pretty sure Semi-Auto only moves you closer if you're actually out of range for those distance moves. It certainly doesn't move me into melee range for Demon Fist. Have you tried it?

I was specifically talking about Alvin in my basic attack example. I somehow forgot to type his name when I was talking about the basic attacks.

Man the boss fight against 3 of the Chimeriad is ridiculous, so much free running to not die

Edit: Was the boss fight against
Gaius
supposed to be a lose battle? Seemed WAAAAAY more difficult then anything leading up to it

ohlawd

Man the boss fight against 3 of the Chimeriad is ridiculous, so much free running to not die

Gaius
supposed to be a lose battle? Seemed WAAAAAY more difficult then anything leading up to it

Nah you can win if you're good.

ohlawd

I did win lol I just thought it was weird that the battle acted like I didn't win after I won

I didn't even know you were allowed to lose that battle.

Different dialogue, maybe?

Won: "yeah well you still lose even if you win"
Lost: "yeah well you lost... so you lost"

Damn.

MilkBeard

I did win lol I just thought it was weird that the battle acted like I didn't win after I won

Ha ha yeah it's weird, but you should be used to it by now. I mean, it seems like there is at least one battle like that in every JRPG. You beat the boss, but the cutscene afterwards is all like....your party members all exhausted and the boss goes into beast mode. Seems to happen ALL the time.
Speaking of that battle, yeah, it was harder than the ones before it. I spent most of the time trying to run away because his stupid Mystic Arte is really annoying and he uses it like a billion times. But I still got him. Good battle in the end though. Felt like I accomplished something big. Also, it confirmed for me that
Gaius
is a complete badass. I mean, his sword beam thing is just crazy.

Had to edit that spoiler, ha ha.

So this is my first Tales game, put about 15 hours into it so far and really enjoying it.

I find the cast very likeable. At least until now I don't find anyone annoying (except for the puppet), they have distinct personalities that bounce off each other well which becomes especially apparent in the skits and conversations at the end of the fights which can be pretty funny. Voice acting gets the job done.

I like the game's presentation, the artstyle was the first thing to draw my attention when the game was announced. Without being a technical marvel it's colourful and vibrant, character and enemy designs are mostly good.

Like I said it's my first Tales game and I'm pleasently surprised by the real time battle system. Took me a while to understand it fully and I don't feel like I've mastered it yet.

Anyway, it's the best jrpg I've played on console since Xenoblade (though still not as good) and I think it's highly recommended for fans of the genre. I'm glad the sequel is confirmed for the West.
I've always been interested in Vesperia and now that I'm getting into the franchise and enjoying it I'm even more bummed that the PS3 version wasn't released here. I guess that even Xillia's good sales wont change their minds at this point.

Oh well, back to playing.

So free run is supposed not to be practically usable in manual? ... ... ...

No the point is run around the battle field, usually to get away from bosses in over limit or to weave between big monsters. Once you let go of the button you snap back into your line with the for you are targeting.

Gaius

its actually one of the easier 'lose' battles in the genre imo. Especially for people that have been playing jude all this time and have a good grasp on his pivot step. also, having the elemental guard against him (fire?) and some capes and what not, made the fight kinda simple :)

had bigger trouble with
muzet
. was kinda surprised that fight wasn't a 'must lose'.

I guess an issue i have with this, is that no matter what if you win or not,
every human boss just walks off like its nothing. No real satisfaction from doing anything in this game :/

demidar

its actually one of the easier 'lose' battles in the genre imo. Especially for people that have been playing jude all this time and have a good grasp on his pivot step. also, having the elemental guard against him (fire?) and some capes and what not, made the fight kinda simple :)

had bigger trouble with
muzet
. was kinda surprised that fight wasn't a 'must lose'.

I guess an issue i have with this, is that no matter what if you win or not,
every human boss just walks off like its nothing. No real satisfaction from doing anything in this game :/

I sure would like tailored dialogue when winning a battle you're supposed to lose. Maybe next time. At least it's not like the other guy pulls a Mystic Arte out of his ass when he reaches a certain threshold of health, Hubert.

heiyu

So this is my first Tales game, put about 15 hours into it so far and really enjoying it.

I find the cast very likeable. At least until now I don't find anyone annoying (except for the puppet), they have distinct personalities that bounce off each other well which becomes especially apparent in the skits and conversations at the end of the fights which can be pretty funny. Voice acting gets the job done.

I like the game's presentation, the artstyle was the first thing to draw my attention when the game was announced. Without being a technical marvel it's colourful and vibrant, character and enemy designs are mostly good.

Like I said it's my first Tales game and I'm pleasently surprised by the real time battle system. Took me a while to understand it fully and I don't feel like I've mastered it yet.

Anyway, it's the best jrpg I've played on console since Xenoblade (though still not as good) and I think it's highly recommended for fans of the genre. I'm glad the sequel is confirmed for the West.
I've always been interested in Vesperia and now that I'm getting into the franchise and enjoying it I'm even more bummed that the PS3 version wasn't released here. I guess that even Xillia's good sales wont change their minds at this point.

Oh well, back to playing.

welcome to the "Tales of". I don't think Xillia is one of the best but it's still good. can't wait for Xillia 2. BIBA O PORTO CUARALHU

LuuKyK

Just met
Gaius and his Chemeriad guardians (pretty cool crew he got there, especially Presa :p)
for the first time.

I am not sure I am following the war side of the plot. There are only two kingdoms right? One under
Gaius'
control and the other under
Nacthigal's
control?

Edit: Actually, I remember now that they mentioned there were more than two... was it four or seven?
Clive
was a King to, no? Ugh, its confusing... so
Gaius declared war because Hamil was invaded
, which means
Hamil
was under his control? Or its just a reason he found to
begin the conflict?

Anyway,
why in the world are they even considering Alvin being back in the group? He already lied to them so many times. If I had the power to choose I would never accept him back. Also, Jude is so dumb... and cant make a decision for his life. Its starting to annoy me.
I am liking the story regardless.

Trying to get these battle trophies is kind of stupid though... Milla is a retard. Why cant she bind the enemies as much as Leia steals items from them or Teepo eats their mana? It took me forever to get her trophy because she just did it like one time in every three fights. >_>

Also, when is the bazongas skit going to appear? I already heard teepo talking about it but it never showed up as a skit. I am mid chapter two btw.

PKrockin

Gaius united the seven (?) warring factions of Auj Oule into one nation sometime in the last 20 years I believe.

IIRC Clive's nation Sharilton is an independent state technically/previously under King Nachtigal, but Nachtigal has been pressuring them to rejoin the kingdom.

As for Milla not being able to bind often... well, it would be broken if she could bind every five seconds. You're fighting speed type enemies, I assume?

The bazongas are coming. Have patience.

TripleSun

I honestly don't think the best points of ToX came until around
Around the time of the war on Rieze Maxia between the two countries. I just hit Elympios and the story has been phenomenal lately, but before the war started the game was kind of dull. People hate Alvin to death, but to me he was one of the main reasons I like this game. His characteristics aren't just paper thin, he's a complex character so I like him. :p

Peff

I sure would like tailored dialogue when winning a battle you're supposed to lose. Maybe next time. At least it's not like the other guy pulls a Mystic Arte out of his ass when he reaches a certain threshold of health, Hubert.

They actually do that with
Alvin's fight
. It doesn't happen elsewhere, but you do get an item and a lot of experience.

I honestly don't think the best points of ToX came until around
Around the time of the war on Rieze Maxia between the two countries. I just hit Elympios and the story has been phenomenal lately, but before the war started the game was kind of dull. People hate Alvin to death, but to me he was one of the main reasons I like this game. His characteristics aren't just paper thin, he's a complex character so I like him. :p

there really isn't that much to hate about alvin, its more about how other people think about him.

everyone trusts him after each betrayal, and are somehow still shocked everytime he betrays them the next cutscene.

I'd rather that, if I'm meant to lose for the plot I don't want to win and have the story act like I didn't

TripleSun

there really isn't that much to hate about alvin, its more about how other people think about him.

everyone trusts him after each betrayal, and are somehow still shocked everytime he betrays them the next cutscene.

Yeah, it is always interesting when he keeps betraying them and they keep taking him back, especially after shooting Leia, I just have friends who claim they HATE him, but he's not a character you can just write off as good or bad.

That's also why I don't like a lot of the characters in this game, because they aren't complex and characters like Leia (Love her to death though) but she's so paper thin story wise.

demidar

They actually do that with
Alvin's fight
. It doesn't happen elsewhere, but you do get an item and a lot of experience.

Now that's pretty cool. When I got to that fight he instantly went into Overlimit and used his Mystic Arte and one-shot me :/

Japanese Alvin is Gintoki, that is so awesome. I knew I heard that laugh before.

Jiraiza

Now that's pretty cool. When I got to that fight he instantly went into Overlimit and used his Mystic Arte and one-shot me :/

Japanese Alvin is Gintoki, that is so awesome. I knew I heard that laugh before.

Yep, it was truly an all-star cast on the Japanese side.

MogCakes

Isn't that a plot point actually? She feels useless because she doesn't bring anything to the table.

She redeems herself after
saving the moron's life from being killed off in his milla-drug-induced catatonic state. Seriously, fuck you Jude

Alvin is the best developed character in the entire game. Just about every reason why is a spoiler though. And it really is on the party for letting him stay after selling them out multiple times.

still better than graces though, where i don't know why most of the party members are even there... even less why anyone would follow asbel as a leader.

TripleSun

She redeems herself after
saving the moron's life from being killed off in his milla-drug-induced catatonic state. Seriously, fuck you Jude

Alvin is the best developed character in the entire game. Just about every reason why is a spoiler though. And it really is on the party for letting him stay after selling them out multiple times.

I wish more characters had more complexity to them like Alvin does. Him and Rowen still rank as my favorite people in this game.

Top Bottom