• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Does this game get a little more interesting? Gameplay and story is a little dull... I've just done the dungeon after reaching Sharilton. That mountain, bergia or something.

Also linking artes seems hard as the window of opportunity is so short when link chance appears. Also I'm having trouble remembering which artes can link with which characters. Is this a common problem people have? i just use the same one linkable arte and have gotten by fine so far. Chains are too complicated when you max that meter on the left. They are far too fiddly in terms of button presses.

So when link chance appears I can only ever link one or two artes that all that's possible usually. The rest of my mapped artes aren't linkable with the character I'm linked with. Battle system is deep but not wholly necessary to have all this fluff. its pretty confusing and all over the place in terms of trying to do all these things. It seems like its more trouble than its worth when I can just as easily get by 98% of the time using my own artes without all this linking, sidestepping and link specialties. I mean its good but id have preferred if they dialled it back a bit in terms of pointless systems.

Bladenic

What the hell does Elize say during Scary Go Round right before she calls out the MA name? Sounds like iHome or "I'm home" lmao

Atlantis

What the hell does Elize say during Scary Go Round right before she calls out the MA name? Sounds like iHome or "I'm home" lmao

I think it's Teepo saying that. Something like "I'm home!" or I'm here!" as he returns to Elize's side after creating the black cylinder.

Seda

Does this game get a little more interesting? Gameplay and story is a little dull... I've just done the dungeon after reaching Sharilton. That mountain, bergia or something.

I didn't really get interested in the story until Xian Du which is the start of the 2nd chapter. Yes it gets more interesting. And gameplay got more interesting for me by turning up the difficulty.

Also linking artes seems hard as the window of opportunity is so short when link chance appears. Also I'm having trouble remembering which artes can link with which characters. Is this a common problem people have? i just use the same one linkable arte and have gotten by fine so far. Chains are too complicated and far too fiddly in terms of button presses.

So when link chance appears I can only ever link one ir two as that all that's possible usually. The rest of my mapped artes aren't linkable with the character I'm linked with. Battle system is good but pretty confusing and all over the place in terms of trying to do all these things. It seems like its more trouble than its worth when I can just as easily get by 98% of the time using my own artes without all this linking, sidestepping and link specialties.

I never had a problem with linking artes in general. As for chaining, timing isn't important - I just remembered which artes were linkable and after the first one I would repeatedly input the command for the second arte during the animation of the first arte until the second arte activated, and then I would repeatedly input the command for the third arte, etc.

PKrockin

Also linking artes seems hard as the window of opportunity is so short when link chance appears. Also I'm having trouble remembering which artes can link with which characters. Is this a common problem people have? i just use the same one linkable arte and have gotten by fine so far. Chains are too complicated when you max that meter on the left. They are far too fiddly in terms of button presses.

So when link chance appears I can only ever link one or two artes that all that's possible usually. The rest of my mapped artes aren't linkable with the character I'm linked with. Battle system is deep but not wholly necessary to have all this fluff. its pretty confusing and all over the place in terms of trying to do all these things. It seems like its more trouble than its worth when I can just as easily get by 98% of the time using my own artes without all this linking, sidestepping and link specialties. I mean its good but id have preferred if they dialled it back a bit in terms of pointless systems.

Er, I don't know what you're talking about, the game is quite generous in terms of timing button presses. But like Seda said you can just repeatedly input the next command if timing is an issue. Also in overlimit you can chain link artes between different link partners. Like as Jude you can do Demonic Chaos with Alvin, switch to Milla while the animation is going and input Demon Fist and you'll continue the chain with Final Gale.

Woo, finally have the game and it's installing. I would have got it on amazon but it wouldn't let me get the one day shipping so instead I bought it digitally. Missed out on the two DLC outfits, but no big deal. Definitely better to have to put up with a 6 hour download than wait a week for the game to get here lol.

Gonna be starting with Milla's side since I've been watching a bunch of LP videos of Jude's side since it came out.

Been like 6 minutes and it's only at 58% installed, really hope this shit it gone next gen...

This optional fight against the servants is stupid, they can drain your health so freaking fast with that rain attack

Edit: Who were they referencing as
the lord of darkness
? Is that a Xillia 2 thing, bonus dungeon thing, or a reference to
Pluto from Phantasia/Eternia

SaintZ

The game becomes a lot more interesting yes.

Also, as you progress, there are some skills that allow to extend the time of the Over Limit. I usually chain around 7 artes.

Also, If you have trouble remembering which artes can be linked, you can open the menu and check them while the animation of the linked arte is going on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You could drink a glass of water everytime Graces mentioned friendship and still somehow die of alcohol poisoning.

MilkBeard

I didn't really get interested in the story until Xian Du which is the start of the 2nd chapter. Yes it gets more interesting. And gameplay got more interesting for me by turning up the difficulty.

I never had a problem with linking artes in general. As for chaining, timing isn't important - I just remembered which artes were linkable and after the first one I would repeatedly input the command for the second arte during the animation of the first arte until the second arte activated, and then I would repeatedly input the command for the third arte, etc.

Same here, never really had an issue, once I found out for myself which artes are linkeable. In my experience, Jude and Milla provide a really good number of links to practice with.

And as for timing, I would literally just hold down the next combo until the current link arte finishes and that seems to work too. It's really not picky with button inputs.

Neki

I find that while Millia and Jude have the most linked artes, the two linked artes I use the most are with Jude + Leia. Tempest Pirouette is like the best one ever, as long as they don't resist it, and I was spamming Tempest Clash before I got Tempest Pirouette. It's so awesome when you Aqua sweep + steal from Leia, then you do Tempest Pirouette and wipe out all the enemies lol. There's also a cyclone with Millia, but I haven't spammed that one as much.

Linking artes also got a lot easier when I got that skill that extended the time window.

MilkBeard

I find that while Millia and Jude have the most linked artes, the two linked artes I use the most are with Jude + Leia. Tempest Pirouette is like the best one ever, as long as they don't resist it, and I was spamming Tempest Clash before I got Tempest Pirouette. It's so awesome when you Aqua sweep + steal from Leia, then you do Tempest Pirouette and wipe out all the enemies lol. There's also a cyclone with Millia, but I haven't spammed that one as much.

Linking artes also got a lot easier when I got that skill that extended the time window.

Actually yeah, there is one link arte from Jude + Leia that I always use when there are a large group of enemies. It literally mows them over. I forget what it's called, but it's based on Whirlwind snap.

EDIT: Yeah, just looked it up, it's Tempest Pirouette, the same one you were talking about.

FSLink

Banned
Actually yeah, there is one link arte from Jude + Leia that I always use when there are a large group of enemies. It literally mows them over. I forget what it's called, but it's based on Whirlwind snap.

It's Tempest Pirouette. Whirlwind Snap + Staff Rain.

Neki

It's a Tempest Pirouette party! I think I'm just going to try defeating a boss only using that link arte, woot.

Arthea

echo skit got me (><) Alvin is funny, a great character.
The game itself isn't very interesting so far, hopefully it'll get better.
And I do like linking, well so far I like it.

I actually don't recall hearing anybody talking about mutton either. Perhaps I am deaf.

You can't be serious lol. You just can't.

There's actually some pretty good VA here, Rowen and Alvin in particular. Milla's voice has really grown on me too.

All they need to do to fix Milla's voice is to do some actual work on it. Like, her voice in the final cutscenes is miles better than anything before it.

MilkBeard

Depending on how far you are, linking gets better as the game goes. Basically, the more skills you get (plus the artes ball) the more combos you have. It's always fun to be able to pull off a string of 3-4 link artes.

By the way, what is the max number of link artes you can do? It's limited by time, but with the skills that extend the time, I'm wondering how many people can pull off in one go.

Arthea

Depending on how far you are, linking gets better as the game goes. Basically, the more skills you get (plus the artes ball) the more combos you have. It's always fun to be able to pull off a string of 3-4 link artes.

By the way, what is the max number of link artes you can do? It's limited by time, but with the skills that extend the time, I'm wondering how many people can pull off in one go.

skits extend time? That's good to know. So far I can do only 2, but I'm still at the beginning of a game, some 4-5 hours in.

skits extend time? That's good to know. So far I can do only 2, but I'm still at the beginning of a game, some 4-5 hours in.

That would be awesome.

But yeah, there are skills to extend the time window for link artes.

I've never pulled off switching characters during arte linking. I wish this game had a practice mode like fighting games.

MilkBeard

Actually I should have clarified. I said skills, but I meant artes. So the more artes you get, the more potential combos. But yes, there are skills that extend the Overlimit meter, and also skills that add a second to the meter every time you use an arte. The key of course with link artes is to do them in succession without repeating two artes in a row. Then you have the mystic arte later in the game, which is a nice finishing touch.

Woo, just finished up my first session of playing. Almost 7 hours straight, haven't done that since graces came out (which I think was well over 10 hours the first sitting lol).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does anyone know when the bonus conditions for the shop change? I guess it's after x number of battles, but how many exactly? Or is it random?

Seda

You can't be serious lol. You just can't.

There's actually some pretty good VA here, Rowen and Alvin in particular. Milla's voice has really grown on me too.

Nope, I never noticed it lol.

And yes, Rowen's VA and character was easily my favorite in this game.

MechaX

It's one of those things where if you're not looking for it, you'll never be able to pick it out amidst all of the background noises.

Once someone tells you about it and you look for it... hoo boy, you won't be able to unhear it.

At first I thought fresh mutton was kind of cool to make the city feel more alive, then I realized it was the only clip of its kind and then I began to groan

demidar

Rowen's VA was excellent, and so was Alvin. Elize's VA did a really good job, it's just that I don't generally like little girl characters. Jude and Leia was fine to good, and Milla I feel like was script/story constrained (having to speak pseudo-emotionless) so the best I can say is that she did good, with the possibility of being a lot better.

evilalien

At first I thought fresh mutton was kind of cool to make the city feel more alive, then I realized it was the only clip of its kind and then I began to groan

If you walk into one of the medical school buildings, there is a voiced conversation between some students that startled me because you don't hear anything like that anywhere else outside of that damn fresh mutton.

Auskeek

I'm at a similar point and having the same issue, I'm not really engaging with the characters or the plot. Had a similar issue with Graces and Eternia.

I used to think I was a big "Tales fan", but I've pretty much only liked Destiny, Symphonia, Vesperia and Xillia 2 yet I keep buying every game that comes out in the series...

PKrockin

That is physically impossible. Did you play it muted? :p

I've noticed at least two or three more, but they aren't as loud or prevalent throughout the world as mutton man.

I'm at a similar point and having the same issue, I'm not really engaging with the characters or the plot. Had a similar issue with Graces and Eternia.

I used to think I was a big "Tales fan", but I've pretty much only liked Destiny, Symphonia, Vesperia and Xillia 2 yet I keep buying every game that comes out in the series...

Huh? Are you playing this after Xillia 2?

demidar

I honestly thought the game got more interesting the further in you get, things start speeding up more and more until the end.

Bladenic

Tempest Piroutte is definitely OP and awesome. Tornado Blade is cool too but it's much weaker than Tempest Piroutte.

A lot of the spell link artes are really powerful too especially when they hit a weakness.

Top Bottom