• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

edit: I think if Xillia didn't have giant fields filled with environmental loot meant to torment OCD people, it'd at least be less of a nuisance to explore new areas.

I'm reading this right? You're saying the fields should be empty instead of encouraging and rewarding exploration? If there was nothing to find they might as well be corridors like FFXIII. How can loot make it a nuisance to explore? Why would you even explore if there was nothing to find?

I'm reading this right? You're saying the fields should be empty instead of encouraging and rewarding exploration? If there was nothing to find they might as well be corridors like FFXIII. How can loot make it a nuisance to explore? Why would you even explore if there was nothing to find?

Heh. FPS-minded gamers playing JRPGs... I don't get it. I enjoy RPGs over all other genres precisely because they're so deep and time-consuming. You really get your money's worth.

Thorgal

Kinda curious about something .

When wingul goes super saiyan the language he speaks is long dau .
is it based on an existing language or just total gibberish ?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

This is a complete guess, but it sounds based on Chinese to me.

WX3

Picked this up Friday night and I am having a good time with it. Jrpgs are really new for me with only having played Ni No Kuni prior to this during this generation. I played the original Final Fantasy and FF2 when they came out many years ago but haven't been interested in the genre until this year while looking to open up to different experiences. After Xillia, what should I delve into? I did try Vesperia a while ago on 360 but didn't appreciate it then. Might grab another copy of it.

Seda

I believe you also get a skill book for each character you solo with it so that could be helpful. Don't know if it is that finals or one of the other arena modes.

That's the advanced singles IIRC.

I think the arena solo challenges are fun enough to do them all.

I just lowered the difficulty down to normal for the others after beating Jude's on hard, no reason to brutalize myself fighting the same 3 fight sets over and over again. And while I know you don't get any bonus items beating solo with anyone after the first I like seeing the little story arc with the announcer as you win with each character.

Bladenic

Finally got off my ass, did the second playthrough in a day, and got the Platinum. Now I wonder if I'll ever get ToGf platinum.

Also hyped for ToX2 in English. All these fields again though, ugh.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Put a few hours in while waiting for FFXIV to hopefully let me play.

Was shocked at the lack of a title screen, was wondering if there was even an intro...made me really worry about the whole "rushed" complaints. I was pretty damned surprised when that eventually got sorted out.

Chose Jude, so far Milla is umm...I dislike both her look and chosen voice. I'm sure her actress is accomplished and fine, but man there is a hint of a lisp going on here that keeps bugging me. That hair though...oh japan. I could say the same about Jude's outfit too. Might actually buy that Destiny DLC outfit just to keep him from looking so stupid for the 40 potential hours I dig in.

Not bad so far. Loved Vesperia, so I hope this delivers similarly.

So is there some trick in the Grand Master Arena to beating
Rowen and Leia
with Elize? The skill
auto magic guard makes the standard Elize spam not work, and she's not fast enough to melee with Leia

I think it's just a reference to Eternia, he's speaking Melnics, the langauge of the Celestians.

demidar

So is there some trick in the Grand Master Arena to beating
Rowen and Leia
with Elize? The skill
auto magic guard makes the standard Elize spam not work, and she's not fast enough to melee with Leia

This is how I did Grandmaster with Elize: Equip a Mystic Symbol, use Teepo Roar to knockdown enemies long enough to get off a spell. Any spell should work. Continue until enemy is dead.

This is how I did Grandmaster with Elize: Equip a Mystic Symbol, use Teepo Roar to knockdown enemies long enough to get off a spell. Any spell should work. Continue until enemy is dead.

Yeah I ended up just spamming teepo roar as Leia ran up to me

Also screw grinding rare monsters, this is one of the most boring things I've ever done in any JRPG ever.

PKrockin

I was trying to beat the advanced singles coliseum fight earlier with Jude. Taking damage wasn't the problem, it's just that it takes so long that eventually I'll accidentally slip off the edge.

I was trying to beat the advanced singles coliseum fight earlier with Jude. Taking damage wasn't the problem, it's just that it takes so long that eventually I'll accidentally slip off the edge.

Take advantage of the edge, beast or shattering demon fang your way to victory, don't pivot snap or square to recover ever or you will snap/flip off the edge -,-

FlipWilson

Neo Member
I know many RPG peeps gave NB hell over localization of tales games but come to think about it the PS3 will be the console with the most tales games released in the west(maybe ever?

Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Symphonia HD collection
Tales of Xillia 2

that's 5 games(if we count Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World

I know many RPG peeps gave NB hell over localization of tales games but come to think about it the PS3 will be the console with the most tales games released in the west(maybe ever?

Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2

that's 5 games(if we count Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World

Don't forget their next game is going to be for PS3 too.

Videoneon

This is a complete guess, but it sounds based on Chinese to me.

I've seen lots of people mention Melnics from Tales of Eternia, apparently
Long Dau is either the same thing or derived in large part from this language.

Don't forget their next game is going to be for PS3 too.

So I guess PS3 is closing out with one last Tales game?

Vesperia 2 get hype.

Graces 2 get even more hype =P

OR...Tales of Symphonia 3

I've seen lots of people mention Melnics from Tales of Eternia, apparently
Long Dau is either the same thing or derived in large part from this language.

So I guess PS3 is closing out with one last Tales game?

Vesperia 2 get hype.

Graces 2 get even more hype =P

OR...Tales of Symphonia 3

It could be 2-3 games, they said they'd move over to PS4 once it had a big enough install base of Tales fans

demidar

If these games are gonna continue to put in missable sidequests, they should put in a Time Ball or something that allows the player to revisit previous chapters - complete with the same story beats, bosses and area flow - to get the ones the player missed the first time around.

luca1980

Banned

Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2

hopefully next tales of....it would be great to see it at this tgs yet I fear it's coming later.

yet it's great to see NB localization schedule finally consider Europe and us.
sadly NB now it's and exception yet its better than nothing

So i am near the end of the game and i just don't feel like playing anymore.
I guess the more i play the more i realize that that i not going to play the sequel ( so i won't know how everything ends with the characters) .
That along with other stuff i read about part 2 that i know i not going to like .
O well will still buy part 2 to support the tales games in NA .
Still this is the second jrpg i not going to finish i wonder if i getting tried of playing them .

luca1980

Banned
So i am near the end of the game and i just don't feel like playing anymore.
I guess the more i play the more i realize that that i not going to play the sequel ( so i won't know how everything ends with the characters) .
That along with other stuff i read about part 2 that i know i not going to like .
O well will still buy part 2 to support the tales games in NA .
Still this is the second jrpg i not going to finish i wonder if i getting tried of playing them .
why? spoiler free please?
I stopped playing graces which didn't click on me. I have yet to play xillia but I am hopefull to enjoy it

MilkBeard

Put a few hours in while waiting for FFXIV to hopefully let me play.

Was shocked at the lack of a title screen, was wondering if there was even an intro...made me really worry about the whole "rushed" complaints. I was pretty damned surprised when that eventually got sorted out.

Um, there is a title screen. It's just not there when you start your very first playthrough.

EDIT: Also, IMO, the rushed complaints are overblown. Xillia is a fully featured game with plenty of extra content. It may not be as much compared to Vesperia (that's what people say, anyway; haven't played that one). But it took me about 80 hours to beat Xillia. That was on Moderate difficulty with many of the trophies and all sub quests completed for Jude's side.

Xillia does have a lot of side content that helps to flesh out the characters, it just doesn't have a lot of the fan pandering side quest that are series staples like a hot tub/beach scene for costumes or a gambling hall or mini games.

Xillia does have a lot of side content that helps to flesh out the characters, it just doesn't have a lot of the fan pandering side quest that are series staples like a hot tub/beach scene for costumes or a gambling hall or mini games.

I can only assume that they wanted to focus more attention on the character's personal stories to help flesh them out in exchange for those things. Maybe as an anniversary game, they wanted to make the characters as complex as interesting as possible, but they didn't want it to drag the story out any longer, so they pushed it into side quests.

And I think the no gambling hall was intentional as there's an entire skit in the game about how gambling can screw you over.

demidar

I can only assume that they wanted to focus more attention on the character's personal stories to help flesh them out in exchange for those things. Maybe as an anniversary game, they wanted to make the characters as complex as interesting as possible, but they didn't want it to drag the story out any longer, so they pushed it into side quests.

And I think the no gambling hall was intentional as there's an entire skit in the game about how gambling can screw you over.

Nah they just ran out of time.

So I'm not that far into it, right at the waterfall. I'm doing Final Gale and Spirit Spiral. I feel like a noob since that's the only link artes that I'm using. I like the customization with the outfits. Reminds me of Resonance of Fate with their crazy outfits.

branny

What part of searching high and low for glowing specks of trash meant only for pumping into vendors is rewarding? Other games encourage meaningful exploration with far more interesting loot in much less tedious ways. The addition of camera control for Xillia just made getting around maps a lot more time-consuming for people who don't want to miss anything. It's bad enough that the battle system and progression mechanics are underwhelming compared to previous Tales games.

Rhapsody

Banned
Jude wouldn't get an idol master costume. He should have now that I think of it.

He could've gotten a Ryo Akizuki one.
So I'm not that far into it, right at the waterfall. I'm doing Final Gale and Spirit Spiral. I feel like a noob since that's the only link artes that I'm using. I like the customization with the outfits. Reminds me of Resonance of Fate with their crazy outfits.
Usually it's best to just remember which of your techs can become link arts so you can chain them. If you don't do a chain, your OL bar will drain another chunk.

LuuKyK

There is only one Devil Best left for me to beat, the one on the last floor of the Heliosborg Fortress
(where you beat Volt earlier)
, but I cant reach it since the pathway is blocked by debris and people trying to fix it. :( Will I be able to fight it afterwards?

There is only one Devil Best left for me to beat, the one on the last floor of the Heliosborg Fortress
(where you beat Volt earlier)
, but I cant reach it since the pathway is blocked by debris and people trying to fix it. :( Will I be able to fight it afterwards?

I think you went the wrong way in the fort, it's the second floor from the top you need to go to for the roof access not the top floor it's weird like that

Kasumin

When I saw that this game had the nice Event List in the menu and skits that give you hints on where to go for sub events, I thought I'd play without an faq. But now that I've finished chapter 2 and gone to look at spoiler-free walkthroughs, I realized I've still missed more than I'd have liked. And I've been making a point to make a sweep of areas I've been to before after every major-ish event. Feeling pretty annoyed now, but I suppose I can just make it up in an NG+ run. It's still not nearly as bad as some of Vesperia's sidequests were. I haven't had to sleep at an inn 3 times in a row yet, lol.

Top Bottom