• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

If you see a boss go in overlimit, link up with someone if you haven't already and lead them away from the boss. Bosses won't use a mystic arte as often (in my experience) if the player you're controlling isn't getting hit. But if they do use a mystic arte, there's a chance that the boss will only hit one character if you spread your characters out, which isn't too bad. A couple bosses from the point you're at tend to go overlimit crazy so just follow what I said. It's a little annoying but still very manageable.

Also if you upgrade your armor shop frequently enough, you shouldn't have to be forced to use all your life bottles just for a single boss battle.

Most bosses haven't required that many items at all. Just this one.
But when I dealt with at least ten mystic artes before succumbing (almost all of which killed the two linked AI members), I'm not sure how I could have used less items. Too much HP, too much damage, way too many overlimits.

I think my armor is pretty decent for this part of the game (Armor shop ~60). He was still hitting like a truck, to the point I felt it was necessary for me to play as Elize to keep everyone alive (he would easily kill anyone on the field with one combo, so Nurse spam is what kept people standing).

Oh well. From what I've read, it isn't worth the time, trouble, or items to beat him. Just seems to be setting a really lame precedent for the second half of the game.

Soriku

Most bosses haven't required that many items at all. Just this one.
But when I dealt with at least ten mystic artes before succumbing (almost all of which killed the two linked AI members), I'm not sure how I could have used less items. Too much HP, too much damage, way too many overlimits.

I think my armor is pretty decent for this part of the game (Armor shop ~60). He was still hitting like a truck, to the point I felt it was necessary for me to play as Elize to keep everyone alive (he would easily kill anyone on the field with one combo, so Nurse spam is what kept people standing).

Oh well. From what I've read, it isn't worth the time, trouble, or items to beat him. Just seems to be setting a really lame precedent for the second half of the game.

Ten mystic artes sounds like...much. He definitely didn't use that many on me.

Lvl 60 armor shop sounds good...

I don't know, I beat him pretty handily on my first try, though it was a longish battle. Didn't grind or anything. Maybe if you redid the battle he wouldn't be as mystic arte happy.

I put my girlfriend on a controller and told her her job was to run around during overlimits.

She got hit every time but once, but there were still far fewer overlimits. I'm guessing just because damage went out much quicker with a person at the helm instead of AI. Still four overlimits, and still stupid, but not too bad.

Classic Tales move after the fight. Sad it is something to be expected (not that I guessed the specifics), but those twists are what grabbed me about the series in the first place so there's some nice nostalgic appreciation.

Is there any kind of release schedule for the costume DLC or have we got all were getting?

We probably got all the Xillia 1 DLC costumes we'll ever get.

Unless they put up the preorder costumes, we will have to wait for Xillia 2 to get released for more costumes.

Star Driver ;_;

Uthred

We probably got all the Xillia 1 DLC costumes we'll ever get.

Unless they put up the preorder costumes, we will have to wait for Xillia 2 to get released for more costumes.

Star Driver ;_;

I suppose I can put any hope of the Star Driver ones coming out to bed and buy the rest/finish the game

Proven

So I finished Tales of Xillia last weekend with my full co-op party and I'm still not sure what I really want to stay about it. It was fun, I guess. But by the end I was getting really annoyed by issues both unique to Xillia and common to Tales games as a whole. Thanks to one of my friends playing the Milla side on his own in his spare time, and even preparing some save spots so we could see a majority of the differing scenes, I pretty much got the full story experience. And story wise, it was structured very differently, which I haven't decided whether it was a good or bad thing yet.

So I liked the game, but I'm not happy with it, and I don't really want to rant about it because beyond the game system/mechanics stuff I wouldn't really have much of a conclusion. And I can already envision the counter argument being "that's Tales games!" or "that's because of previous Tales games!"

Whatever they do, if the next mothership title is going to keep using a LMBSystem, they need to take the movement from Graces and not from Vesperia/Xillia. If they figure out an actually good 3D system instead of another psuedo one, I'll be happier. And I'm praying (although I'm losing hope for this one) that they won't build another system that forces someone to sit out in order to build Overlimit if you're playing with a full four-players.

But whatever. I'm just a market edge-case. I don't know why they keep the option for four player co-op other than because it's super easy to code in or something.

isual

gonna pick this up maybe at midnight or early morning at gamestop for 20 bucks.

do you guys think it'll get sold out ?

So I finished Tales of Xillia last weekend with my full co-op party and I'm still not sure what I really want to stay about it. It was fun, I guess. But by the end I was getting really annoyed by issues both unique to Xillia and common to Tales games as a whole. Thanks to one of my friends playing the Milla side on his own in his spare time, and even preparing some save spots so we could see a majority of the differing scenes, I pretty much got the full story experience. And story wise, it was structured very differently, which I haven't decided whether it was a good or bad thing yet.

So I liked the game, but I'm not happy with it, and I don't really want to rant about it because beyond the game system/mechanics stuff I wouldn't really have much of a conclusion. And I can already envision the counter argument being "that's Tales games!" or "that's because of previous Tales games!"

Whatever they do, if the next mothership title is going to keep using a LMBSystem, they need to take the movement from Graces and not from Vesperia/Xillia. If they figure out an actually good 3D system instead of another psuedo one, I'll be happier. And I'm praying (although I'm losing hope for this one) that they won't build another system that forces someone to sit out in order to build Overlimit if you're playing with a full four-players.

But whatever. I'm just a market edge-case. I don't know why they keep the option for four player co-op other than because it's super easy to code in or something.

I think it's more likely you'll find people here agreeing with your complaints. Nothing wrong with liking a game and noting its faults at the same time.

Just ordered this on Amazon for $20 since it seems like Tales games don't drop below $40. Super pumped!

Although by the end of this year, I'm gonna have Ni No Kuni, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, FF13 and this. I think I'm set on JRPGs for a long while. Hopefully I can get to this one sooner than later. I think I'm gonna abandon FF13 though. 17 hours in and I kinda want to just get to other JRPGs with better stories.

isual

Just ordered this on Amazon for $20 since it seems like Tales games don't drop below $40. Super pumped!

Although by the end of this year, I'm gonna have Ni No Kuni, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, FF13 and this. I think I'm set on JRPGs for a long while. Hopefully I can get to this one sooner than later. I think I'm gonna abandon FF13 though. 17 hours in and I kinda want to just get to other JRPGs with better stories.

got this from gamestop for 25. that included tax and shipping.

decent price. what's a few dollars more for getting it shipped to me.

can't wait.

ps3 is still going strong !!!

got this from gamestop for 25. that included tax and shipping.

decent price. what's a few dollars more for getting it shipped to me.

can't wait.

ps3 is still going strong !!!

Yep! And there are a couple more coming to PS3 in 2014. Gonna be a game filled year. Hopefully I'm gonna have enough time to finish them.

AAK

I'm not a big JRPG guy... but I have 2 friends who really like them. Is this game worth a purchase if I'm ONLY going to play this 3 player couch co op?

Datschge

Multiplayer in Tales is generally a lot of fun (and ignored way too often), but in Xillia it clashes with the battle system so you'd have to voluntarily avoid more powerful attacks (linked artes which set the linked character to computer controlled) or organize when and whom to link to not to cause confusion.

ohlawd

holy shit don't plan on playing anything else other than those ones for a while.

holy shit don't plan on playing anything else other than those ones for a while.

Heh, yeah I'm gonna be pretty busy. I still haven't gotten Pandora's Tower or the Last Story, so I might hold off on them. I just don't want them to run out of stock and become rare like Xenoblade.

SlickVic

Got in on the $20 Amazon price as well. First Tales game so excited to see the series. Have a feeling I'll enjoy it if there isn't too much grinding required to progress the plot.

Soriku

Got in on the $20 Amazon price as well. First Tales game so excited to see the series. Have a feeling I'll enjoy it if there isn't too much grinding required to progress the plot.

No grinding needed at all. Game's not that hard (plus you can switch difficulty on the fly).
Xillia's a pretty good entry point I'd say.

Thorgal

Try this attachment combination on Rowen.

Rabbit ears + sidekick mask+ lazy dog tail ( max size) +Rowen's butler suit (optional)

You will laugh . :)

Yawnier

Banned
This is my first Tales games (I played a bit of Symphonia but that was years ago so I don't really count it), and man do I suck at combat. I can't dodge or properly block against enemies' attacks with Jude for the life of me and all I do is press x x x x x x over and over to attack like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors lol.

Labadal

Reached Charilton. Fields and dungeons are still bland and lol at the same looking ports. Not hard to see this was a rush job. Cities look nice, though. Music is also much better than Graces.

I have only been using Jude in combat, but finally decided to play as Alvin. Both have really fun playstyles.
Although I rate the combat in Graces a bit higher, I still enjoy it very much in this game. The disappointment is with the skill development, stores and such.

There should be an Alvin x Yuri Tales game.

Ricker

Bought this yesterday,new,from Gamestop,it was 20 bucks...still need to finish Graces f though,I am still at the kid part...or maybe I will start this instead...? is it better then Graces...?

This is my first Tales games (I played a bit of Symphonia but that was years ago so I don't really count it), and man do I suck at combat. I can't dodge or properly block against enemies' attacks with Jude for the life of me and all I do is press x x x x x x over and over to attack like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors lol.

Ding ding ding! This is a deeper, Fighter-esque action system which requires control over your movements, even though this one is looser and simpler than some others in execution and timing.

Soriku

You'll get the hang of it. Even having played a bunch of Tales before this I needed time to adjust. Especially coming off Graces F.

Bought this yesterday,new,from Gamestop,it was 20 bucks...still need to finish Graces f though,I am still at the kid part...or maybe I will start this instead...? is it better then Graces...?

Yeah it's better than Graces.

Yawnier

Banned
Ding ding ding! This is a deeper, Fighter-esque action system which requires control over your movements, even though this one is looser and simpler than some others in execution and timing.

You'll get the hang of it. Even having played a bunch of Tales before this I needed time to adjust. Especially coming off Graces F.

Yeah, I figured as much that the combat would take getting used to and that there is a learning curve to it (I'm playing on normal). Thanks for the input.

Chris R

Picked this up on BF, 2 hours dumped into it tonight. Going to be the first Tales game I beat I think... I only played Vesparia for like 10 hours and tried to play Graces F some more tonight only to get my ass handed to me by a boss in some glacier like 20 hours in.

Can I ever get to a point where I can cook the items found in the food store? Some of those bonuses look good, but not for the $$$ they want!

Soriku

Picked this up on BF, 2 hours dumped into it tonight. Going to be the first Tales game I beat I think... I only played Vesparia for like 10 hours and tried to play Graces F some more tonight only to get my ass handed to me by a boss in some glacier like 20 hours in.

Can I ever get to a point where I can cook the items found in the food store? Some of those bonuses look good, but not for the $$$ they want!

You can't cook in this game. You can only get food from the shops. If you pump materials into the food shop you'll decrease the prices. Money is tight for a while but that loosens up eventually.

I wouldn't worry too much about buying food (you can only hold like one of each anyway, much of it not that useful). EXP/Gald food isn't all that necessary, and the food that gives you some nice defense bonuses like 25% increase in Physical/Magic Defense mainly help for bosses. So just buy one and hoard it till you reach a boss.

Bladenic

Nope, you'll always have to buy them. You'll be able to easily afford them later, and I highly recommend using EXP boosting food before bosses. And of course, if you want the trophy, start eating food early.

Chris R

Ah ok, and just one more question. Do any characters ever end up having more grid spaces than available points to allocate? IE do I really need to play ahead on the grid or can I just work my way around it little by little every time I level up?

demidar

Ah ok, and just one more question. Do any characters ever end up having more grid spaces than available points to allocate? IE do I really need to play ahead on the grid or can I just work my way around it little by little every time I level up?

Are you talking about the Lillium Orb SP? There's a slow but infinite way to get SP but I think (could be wrong here) you will get enough SP to fill out the Orb naturally at max level (99/100).

Nope, you'll max out everything at their max level, 99.

There's no real long term benefit of planning your move around the grid space either since you'll get everything in the end. Maybe if you see something you want a little earlier but it's not as important.

Yawnier

Banned
About 6 hours into now, great game so far and I'm getting a hang of the combat a bit now. Also, for a game I've seen some people rag on for not looking that great I think the scenery looks fine especially in that beach area on the way to Nia Khera (the name escapes my mind).

Thorgal

About 6 hours into now, great game so far and I'm getting a hang of the combat a bit now. Also, for a game I've seen some people rag on for not looking that great I think the scenery looks fine especially in that beach area on the way to Nia Khera (the name escapes my mind).

The scenery is great but there are places ( mainly some of the open plains in the game ) that looks bad nothing eye burning bad mind you .

overall for a game that was rushed it is certainly passable .

On another note. i love the Christmas suits DLC .

MIGkD87.png

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Been playing Hard with Jude but havent really been doing anything too crazy combo wise. Just been abusing his knockdowns and relaunches. Am I doing it right? :x

Soriku

Been playing Hard with Jude but havent really been doing anything too crazy combo wise. Just been abusing his knockdowns and relaunches. Am I doing it right? :x

Well you can spruce your combos up with the Artes Ball (16 equippable artes). Get your accessory shop up to lvl 55 too and get a Spirit Symbol for super fast TP regen.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well you can spruce your combos up with the Artes Ball (16 equippable artes). Get your accessory shop up to lvl 55 too and get a Spirit Symbol for super fast TP regen.

Ohh thanks I'll do this as soon as possible. Havent come across Artes ball yet

You get more skills later on that'll help with TP and AC recovery in battle so you'll have more options to do stuff.

PKrockin

Honestly Snap Pivot and the TP bonuses from mixing physical attacks and Artes gave me plenty of AC and TP even at the beginning of the game.

Top Bottom