• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

cj_iwakura

Just started this after finishing Deadly Premonition. Wish there was more music, but beyond that, love it so far.

I should've finished Abyss first, but oh well. Just got to the third village.

Picked this up on the Amazon sale. I must say as someone who hasn't really played a Tales game in awhile I was fairly impressed by the first 2+ hours opening sequence. Just enough setup, just enough of a trade, to pique my interest.

The interactions between Jude and Milla have been delightful so far. Jude is also seems to lack the usual bullshit animu MC personality tropes that annoy me.

The first additional character you get (Alvin?) seems pretty cliche but hey can't win 'em all.

Question: Where can you change outfits?

Edit: Just read up on the game being unfinished. Oh my. I'm in for a Xenogears last act huh? That's disappointing.

PKrockin

Keep scrolling down on the equipment screen to find the screen where you customize the character's appearance. Namco cheaped out and made almost all of the costumes DLC, but the attachments are way more numerous and versatile for maximum goofiness in serious cutscenes.

Soriku

Picked this up on the Amazon sale. I must say as someone who hasn't really played a Tales game in awhile I was fairly impressed by the first 2+ hours opening sequence. Just enough setup, just enough of a trade, to pique my interest.

The interactions between Jude and Milla have been delightful so far. Jude is also seems to lack the usual bullshit animu MC personality tropes that annoy me.

The first additional character you get (Alvin?) seems pretty cliche but hey can't win 'em all.

Question: Where can you change outfits?

Edit: Just read up on the game being unfinished. Oh my. I'm in for a Xenogears last act huh? That's disappointing.

Alvin isn't really cliche for the type of character he is.

Also this game isn't like Xenogears lol. It's lacking in post game content but still has around 100 subevents. And not to spoil but there's an area in the game that isn't very expanded, but it's a focus in Xillia 2.

PKrockin

I feel like you took that comment way too seriously.

Some people hate Tales characters a lot...

image.php

isual

just got this in the mail from gamestops sale.

I chose millia instead of jude.

graphically, looks a bit more maturer than graces F.

Soriku

just got this in the mail from gamestops sale.

I chose millia instead of jude.

graphically, looks a bit more maturer than graces F.

Restart lol. You'll be missing out on a good deal of story later on in Milla's side. Jude's events are just better too.

isual

Restart lol. You'll be missing out on a good deal of story later on in Milla's side. Jude's events are just better too.

really? I just started at the sewers. quicksaved, went back to the title screen.

quicksave didn't load.

dafuq ?

you sure it's better to start with jude first ?

really? I just started at the sewers. quicksaved, went back to the title screen.

quicksave didn't load.

dafuq ?

you sure it's better to start with jude first ?
Definitely play Jude's side. If you play Milla's side first you won't understand anything that's going on later in the game.

demidar

I really hated myself for dying to the first boss, even though it's obviously scripted. I felt like I could've taken her.

I think you can defeat her, and you even get an item for doing so. I got wrecked because I instantly set the difficulty as high, and the game is brutal early on.

isual

oh man.

I really like this tales. Didn't like graces F.

dat VA. dat seamless combat. dat mo mature graphics over GraceF's chibi.

shietttt

Updated thoughts:

Up to the part where Rowen joins your team. Characters continue to be pretty good and the best part of the game while the story isnt matching pace; I realize it's small things about it that are bothering me, like why my guys can murder hundreds of monsters but a military checkpoint with 3 guys is intimidating? C'mon son.

Everything about this game aside from the VA seems so low budget. Reused city areas. Low quality visuals. That said I'm still mostly enjoying it.

Question: Is there a reason the LORD OF SPIRITS is called Maxwell? It's not a huge issue but it's like having a pantheon of Greek God's having a member called Bob next to Zeus and Hera.

Thorgal

Updated thoughts:

Up to the part where Rowen joins your team. Characters continue to be pretty good and the best part of the game while the story isnt matching pace; I realize it's small things about it that are bothering me, like why my guys can murder hundreds of monsters but a military checkpoint with 3 guys is intimidating? C'mon son.

Everything about this game aside from the VA seems so low budget. Reused city areas. Low quality visuals. That said I'm still mostly enjoying it.

Question: Is there a reason the LORD OF SPIRITS is called Maxwell? It's not a huge issue but it's like having a pantheon of Greek God's having a member called Bob next to Zeus and Hera.

1 . Cutscene Incompetence

2 Well the game was rushed for its 15th anniversary so i wouldn't say that is really a surprise .but . yes . it is still enjoyable .

I tend to think they went with Maxwell because it sounds a fitting name for a divine being that rules and watches over humans and spirits .

That and the name is almost a stable to the series that keeps coming back .
It's the same thing as having Ifrit and Bahamut in every Final fantasy game .

Oh, yeah I understand. I'm just giving some musing thoughts. I also like how they walk everywhere. Chasing a Carriage? Walk and catch up. ;) Get some horses guys. There are some in every village.

I'm loving Elize in battle. Her link ability to regen your TP makes it so I can almost spam special moves.

Updated thoughts:

I'm chalking it up to the Tina/Terra thing until I know better.

RPGCrazied

After the Zestiria announced I got hyped, so decided to play more of this. Already beat it of course, but am now trying to do the secret dungeon. Having a hard time, specially the red flowers that pretty much gives you every status alignment. Can you get only one amulet? If not, how do I get more? I'm only around level 65.

Soriku

After the Zestiria announced I got hyped, so decided to play more of this. Already beat it of course, but am now trying to do the secret dungeon. Having a hard time, specially the red flowers that pretty much gives you every status alignment. Can you get only one amulet? If not, how do I get more? I'm only around level 65.

If you haven't upgraded your accessory shop a lot, do so. Especially to at least 55 to get Spirit Symbols for everyone (super fast TP recharge). You don't really need status ailment amulets. Just try to keep your distance when those enemies are attacking and go in hard when you see an opening.

If you're playing on Hard I'd recommend being lvl 80 for the boss (just level up using EXP food and fight the enemies at Magnus Zero) as well as buying the food that gives you the highest % increase of P.Def and M.Def for the boss. Also get your weapon and armor shop to lvl 100 to get the best armor and weapons before your Devil Arms are powered up (you can do this easily by gathering the materials at Magnus Zero which give you a lot of points for your shops). If you're playing on a lower difficulty you should be OK with a lower level/slightly worse equipment though.

RPGCrazied

If you haven't upgraded your accessory shop a lot, do so. Especially to at least 55 to get Spirit Symbols for everyone (super fast TP recharge). You don't really need status ailment amulets. Just try to keep your distance when those enemies are attacking and go in hard when you see an opening.

If you're playing on Hard I'd recommend being lvl 80 for the boss (just level up using EXP food and fight the enemies at Magnus Zero) as well as buying the food that gives you the highest % increase of P.Def and M.Def for the boss. Also get your weapon and armor shop to lvl 100 to get the best armor and weapons before your Devil Arms are powered up (you can do this easily by gathering the materials at Magnus Zero which give you a lot of points for your shops). If you're playing on a lower difficulty you should be OK with a lower level/slightly worse equipment though.

Thanks, that helped a ton. But how big is this place? I just keep going into green portals going into new environments. Is there no bosses in here?

Soriku

Thanks, that helped a ton. But how big is this place? I just keep going into green portals going into new environments. Is there no bosses in here?

There's a boss at the very end. There's like 20 floors initially then you can go through it again once you beat the boss the first time with 5 more floors and the boss is more powerful. Then you can go through it a third time with 5 more floors and you can fight the most powerful version of the boss there. That's as far as it extends. If you plan on going through it a second or third time, just run past everything so it doesn't get too tedious. Doesn't take very long to get to the boss.

Just checking in cause I loved this game a lot when it came out. I got a plat and did EVERYTHING in game during the first 2 weeks after launch, have they released any new dlc or content since then? Besides costumes I mean. I want a reason to play it more =[

Soriku

Just checking in cause I loved this game a lot when it came out. I got a plat and did EVERYTHING in game during the first 2 weeks after launch, have they released any new dlc or content since then? Besides costumes I mean. I want a reason to play it more =[

Just costumes. Tales games don't get additional gameplay DLC. But at least there's an Xillia 2.

Chris R

Finished chapter 1 tonight, been great so far.

Could someone answer a question for me though?
When do I get my "final" party setup? IE when nobody will be joining/leaving ever again. Hope it isn't too far away...

Bladenic

When do I get my "final" party setup? IE when nobody will be joining/leaving ever again. Hope it isn't too far away...

Start of chapter 2, everyone is together. Except there will still be parts when certain characters are unusable, most notably the beginning of chapter 4.

Soriku

You'll have all the characters most of the time, but the point at which no characters ever leave again won't be till near the end.

LuuKyK

Well, done with college finals and I left my work (lol) so now I have some free time and decided to try and plat this. I am already on a new game plus on Milla side (just reached Hamil - very early). Any recommendation? The only trophies left are the character specific ones (what a pain, I will have to grind these don't I?) and the sub-event one that I managed to miss. ~_~

Then the fatigue may already set in during the first playthrough of Xillia 2 though!

Well I first felt fatigue during my first run for plat on my second playthrough. Hell, even after finishing that I swore off ever playing the English version.

And then, two months after it came out, I went off my brother's file to get a plat for the English version.

I'm also planning on playing Xillia 2 in Japanese before it comes out in English so I'm looking forward to that! Maybe.

sasuke_91

I started playing yesterday. I picked Jude for the sake of story and just reached the opening scene. The song is cool imo, although i prefer the opening from Abyss and Symphonia (especially Symphonia, Starry Heavens is great).
The combat system is nice, graphics are okay.

I'll have a lot of time these next few weeks, so I'll probably play the shit out of this game :3

LuuKyK

Finally got the sub-event superhero trophy. Jeez. No wonder I missed many of these sub-events, you literally have to go out of your away to find them. They are everywhere, lots of traveling needed.

Now I just need the 99 level for each character (I almost have them since I got the 10x exp from the grade shop). Two more shops to max out, the Rowen magic defense title and the staff one from Leia. There is also the rare monsters one and the item and monster catalogue thing. The monster one is almost complete, but I still need like 80 items or so. What the hell? Where are these that I've missed. I will just buy everything from the stores I guess.

Weird part is that I read that this plat just takes 60 hours to get on average, and still I have more than 130 hours and I have quite a bunch of trophies left. Maybe I am just way slower than the average gamer? Eh. Whatever.

Edit: Ok, character trophies done. Shop trophies done. Reached 91%. Now I just need to grind for more gold on Magnus Zero for the items one, and in the process I need to get the Sous Chef one for using food. And then comes the boring trophies, Monster Sage and Rare Monster ones, I have no idea what monsters are left and its a pain to find rare ones. Oh well. So close now I just have to do it.

Edit: Ok, character trophies done. Shop trophies done. Reached 91%. Now I just need to grind for more gold on Magnus Zero for the items one, and in the process I need to get the Sous Chef one for using food. And then comes the boring trophies, Monster Sage and Rare Monster ones, I have no idea what monsters are left and its a pain to find rare ones. Oh well. So close now I just have to do it.

Did you participate in the colosseum? It will provide unique entries for your Monster Book. Rare Monsters can be farmed easily by going back and forth between Deepwood and Sapstrath entrances.There's a youtube video about it that you can easily search.

LuuKyK

Did you participate in the colosseum? It will provide unique entries for your Monster Book. Rare Monsters can be farmed easily by going back and forth between Deepwood and Sapstrath entrances.There's a youtube video about it that you can easily search.

Thats exactly what I did! There were 17 entries left. I just beat all the classes in the colosseum and it worked. Not only that but joke weapons you get as prize got me the item trophy as well! :D

And yeah I read about the rare monster tactic... But its so boring. God. I have around 40 and I need 75. It will take forever. :|

LuuKyK

Sorry for the double post, but after a very tedious session of rare monster search I finally got the Platinum! Just my second one ever (Xillia and FF XIII-2). Really happy with it! Had lots of fun with the game. I am ready for Xillia 2! :)

Bladenic

Sorry for the double post, but after a very tedious session of rare monster search I finally got the Platinum! Just my second one ever (Xillia and FF XIII-2). Really happy with it! Had lots of fun with the game. I am ready for Xillia 2! :)

Xilia 2 is far and away the better game with a far more tedious Platinum.

Bladenic

>_> Thats not so good to hear. Whats so tedious about it? If it doesn't include spoilers of course.

Most of the trophies you got in Xillia? You have to do them again in Xillia 2, except the number of times you have to repeat something is doubled or even tripled. Yay.

Top Bottom