• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Alboreo

I've had this preordered for a while but I'm starting to consider just waiting until Xillia 2.

I love Tales games but I keep hearing negative things about this. Sigh.

Who am I kidding, I'm still going to get it. :| I'm whipped.

Aeana

I've had this preordered for a while but I'm starting to consider just waiting until Xillia 2.

I love Tales games but I keep hearing negative things about this. Sigh.

Who am I kidding, I'm still going to get it. :| I'm whipped.

If you want to play Xillia 2, then you should play Xillia 1.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I want the box of the CE more than I want everything else in it. Something must be wrong with me. Also, good title change.

I think you should play this first, because P4 will most likely be better and you'll spoil yourself going from the better game to the worst game.

Have to agree here. I have SMTIV as well and it's not as good as P4 either. So my recommendation would be SMTIV which is a solid jrpg, then Xillia, which I make no promises on as opinions seem to range pretty wildly regarding it. Then bask in the GLORY of the jrpg done right in P4: Golden and realize why so many of us pine for more from this genre so vigorously.

Aeana

Have to agree here. I have SMTIV as well and it's not as good as P4 either. So my recommendation would be SMTIV which is a solid jrpg, then Xillia, which I make no promises on as opinions seem to range pretty wildly regarding it. Then bask in the GLORY of the jrpg done right in P4: Golden and realize why so many of us pine for more from this genre so vigorously.

All kinds of sadness.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I dream more about SMTIV and I enjoy playing the game but I appreciate how many of the systems work really well together in P4. Both games are good but I would say that the presentation and the designs in P4 are much more appealing to me than SMTIV. I have problems playing SMTIV purely because I don't want to be annoyed and instead babied.

But do you need to play Xillia 2 if you play Xillia 1?

No, but you'll be missing out on one of the greater JRPG narratives in this generation.

Wow, had to post just to say: fantastic OP. I've got my collector's edition pre-order ready, so I've done my part to support the series.

Looking forward to the story being less infuriating than Graces f though.

Cheska

Poor Schala, she hasn't even posted in here yet.

Time has really flown by these past few weeks with SMTIV to keep most of us busy. It's so relieving to hear that the cast and story are better in Xillia than Graces. I'll never get tried of hearing that lol.

kayos90

There isn't that much of a difference between Jude and Milla's playthroughs right?

From the OP

Q: Why are there two characters to choose from the beginning? Does it matter which?
A: The main story for the game is the same regardless of which character you choose. The option in the beginning allows you to choose which character’s perspective you will see through as the game progresses. Additionally, certain events will separate Jude and Milla apart and you will only see the respective chosen character’s cutscenes and actions. In the end it doesn’t really matter but going through both character’s perspectives will give the game’s narrative depth.

I'll try to look through the OT later for any more information, it looks good.

Not sure if anyone asked this question yet but, is their lots of replayability in this game like past Tales Of's? I know both Graces and Vesperia had the grade shop which I loved to do. It was always fun doing the grade shop to make the game more fun and up the difficulty at the same time. I know their's a Millia and Jude story but I think I might just stick with Jude.

So is their a grade system or some other kind of feature for after end game? If it does I can see myself sinking a lot of time in this no matter the length

The wait's finally almost over. So far I've played through Symphonia, Abyss 3DS, and Graces f, and I really enjoyed each of them. Here's hoping Xillia follows that trend.

kayos90

I'll try to look through the OT later for any more information, it looks good.

Not sure if anyone asked this question yet but, is their lots of replayability in this game like past Tales Of's? I know both Graces and Vesperia had the grade shop which I loved to do. It was always fun doing the grade shop to make the game more fun and up the difficulty at the same time. I know their's a Millia and Jude story but I think I might just stick with Jude.

So is their a grade system or some other kind of feature for after end game? If it does I can see myself sinking a lot of time in this no matter the length

Grade exists, however, it works off a quest/objective system. You'll get a certain amount of grade for beating the game with certain objectives finished rather than off of fights.

ChrisG683

Loved Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia, but I couldn't bring myself to even get halfway through Graces F.

Maybe I'll try to sit down and finish Graces sometime soon, but I'm eagerly awaiting my Xillia CE :)

I dream more about SMTIV and I enjoy playing the game but I appreciate how many of the systems work really well together in P4. Both games are good but I would say that the presentation and the designs in P4 are much more appealing to me than SMTIV. I have problems playing SMTIV purely because I don't want to be annoyed and instead babied.

No, but you'll be missing out on one of the greater JRPG narratives in this generation.

Eh, I don't really mind. Not too bothered about story stuff myself, it's more for a friend who I'm giving the game to after I'm finished. Guess he'll need to buy part 2

But if the gameplay is fun enough I'll consider it myself

Telaso

Banned
So for all those who have played the Japanese version, does this game include the multiplayer capabilities that the previous Tales of games have?

Just wondering if I'll have to play this with my roommate or if I can hide away and play by myself :D

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So for all those who have played the Japanese version, does this game include the multiplayer capabilities that the previous Tales of games have?

Just wondering if I'll have to play this with my roommate or if I can hide away and play by myself :D

Has multiplayer.

Phenomic

Q: Why are there two characters to choose from the beginning? Does it matter which?
A: The main story for the game is the same regardless of which character you choose. The option in the beginning allows you to choose which character’s perspective you will see through as the game progresses. Additionally, certain events will separate Jude and Milla apart and you will only see the respective chosen character’s cutscenes and actions. In the end it doesn’t really matter but going through both character’s perspectives will give the game’s narrative depth.

Q: Why do people say to choose Jude over Milla in the beginning?
A: Certain cutscenes shown in Jude’s story explain and cover many important plot details that are left implied in Milla’s. As a result, choosing Jude’s will give players a more fleshed-out story.

I've got a question regarding this one. I was thinking of playing them both sort of simultaneously to get the full effect. Is this something I should bother with or do I just pick Jude knowing that really I won't miss much without seeing Milla's side?

I want to see them both if it's worth doing, but if it's really not I figured I will just save the time, skip it, and ask Import / Japan GAFs opinion on this. Thanks.

I guess to further clarify and make it simpler. Is it different enough to warrant this or will it just make me go insane to the point where it's a really bad idea.

Aeana

I've got a question regarding this one. I was thinking of playing them both sort of simultaneously to get the full effect. Is this something I should bother with or do I just pick Jude knowing that really I won't miss much without seeing Milla's side?

I want to see them both if it's worth doing, but if it's really not I figured I will just save the time, skip it, and ask Import / Japan GAFs opinion on this. Thanks.
If you try to do them simultaneously, you'll see mostly the same stuff. I recommend playing both, but maybe one after the other (using the EX game bonuses) rather than simultaneously.

ironcreed

Banned
The battle system looks interesting and the world is very pretty. I may check this out at some point, but it has not really been on my radar.

kayos90

I guess to further clarify and make it simpler. Is it different enough to warrant this or will it just make me go insane to the point where it's a really bad idea.

Playing simultaneously is a bad idea as you'll get easily tired. Just play through one and NG+ the other as Aeana mentioned.

Grade exists, however, it works off a quest/objective system. You'll get a certain amount of grade for beating the game with certain objectives finished rather than off of fights.

That sounds terrible considering if the game has enough sidequests or not. In TOV you could make it a goal to farm grade points just to get that extra exp or to get the extra gald, which actually was pretty fun in itself. Seeing that I'll just be doing sidequests doesn't sound so great.

Hopefully their's enough sidequests for this then. I know sidequests in previous Tales Of games were various and different enough, so I think in hindsight this might be good.

Welp, I guess any grade system is better then no grade system. I'm still hyped for the game regardless. I replay Tales Of games mostly just for the heck of it anyways, but the grade system was always just the icing on the cake.

Aeana

The new grade system is sooo stupid. Graces suffered from a similar problem. I don't even know why they call it "grade" anymore.

Dragoshi1

Picking it up next week, can't wait.

My brother and I have gone through Vesperia and Graces F together, so we're stoked for this game. Vesperia is so far my favorite of all the Tales games I played, so I'm curious to see if Xillia can knock it from the pedestal I keep it on.

RPGCrazied

I really like the sphere grid type thing. Do they all have their own? Or is it one giant board? Is it easy to earn points to use on it?

So hyped. Can't believe I'll be playing this in a week.

Let's see if I can finally finish up Eternia by Monday. Been meaning to get that one out of the way for a long time!

Also, does anyone know what songs play when you use the Cress/Stahn costumes? I assume it's the traditional battle themes from their respective games?

Top Bottom