• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Yuterald

Xillia and Xillia 2 together have the best story/chars out of all the Tales games to me.

Only one I'd personally rank close to it overall is Tales of Destiny/Remake. Some of the others would get nods in individual areas.

Hmm...my favorite Tales games are from the PSone era (Destiny & Eternia). Really wish I could have gotten the chance to play Remake. Well, I'll be begrudgingly picking up my copy tomorrow with Dragon's Crown. Took time off from work this week (mainly for Pikmin 3, which is incredible) so we'll see how long this Tales game will fair. I couldn't make it through Graces so I wonder how long I will last with this one, lol!

Shouta

Not really an issue since in Vesperia it was pretty easy to just run near the boss save point, and use it for heals. I don't disagree that Vesperia's combat was probably more challenging outside of Overlimit spam, but I don't really consider having less supplies and having to decide whether or not to buy some Orange Gels "depth" either.

Destiny remake did the CC system better imo since it was a bit more of what you're talking about. That probably would have been more to your liking. Graces uses the Critical Gauge which rewards you on correct blocking/dodging/etc, while Destiny was more of a resource management thing (but within battle).

Destiny Remake's implementation of the combat system also used CC really well because most of the other actions required it like Air Dashing to your opponent, as I recall. Even in a 1-player situation managing when to stop your combo and fill up your CC bar was pretty important for keeping opponents juggled the entire time. Air combos in general being what you want to do helped keep CC management relevant.

Destiny Remake's implementation of the combat system also used CC really well because most of the other actions required it like Air Dashing to your opponent, as I recall. Even in a 1-player situation managing when to stop your combo and fill up your CC bar was pretty important for keeping opponents juggled the entire time. Air combos in general being what you want to do helped keep CC management relevant.

That sounds alot more appealing to me then how Graces handled it, aside from just being crazy powerful in general for avoiding damage, around step pretty much ensured I never had to pay attention to my CC meter since it was constantly refilling through the normal gameplay I would already be doing. This was the part that really made me long for the resource management from the TP system since I didn't have to pay attention to my CC. If it was a more limited amount of CC that required actual effort to refill to keep a combo going then I would have enjoyed it alot more I think.

FSLink

Banned
That sounds alot more appealing to me then how Graces handled it, aside from just being crazy powerful in general for avoiding damage, around step pretty much ensured I never had to pay attention to my CC meter since it was constantly refilling through the normal gameplay I would already be doing. This was the part that really made me long for the resource management from the TP system since I didn't have to pay attention to my CC. If it was a more limited amount of CC that required actual effort to refill to keep a combo going then I would have enjoyed it alot more I think.

You also started out with a lot less CC in Destiny remake. Your max was about 4 CC and without New Game Plus stuff, your min and max should be about 10-15. Graces gave you a lot of CC immediately.
With less CC at the beginning, at most you can do with Stahn is like Attack->Swallow Dance->Backstep for positioning (special movement takes up CC too)

Sorian

Banned
I know everyone hates gamestop but just got my order confirmation and UPS says will be delivered tomorrow before closing.

Umi88

That's almost tiny compared to what I was expecting lol. I may have to opt for the digital version here, though I doubt it matters as I wouldn't sell a Tales of game anyway.

taking a look again at the preorder it might need 3GB more for installation/save.. so more likely 9.2GB to get the game running.

Odd thing they dont put the size of the installation added to the file size like with Ni no Kuni.

aravuus

taking a look again at the preorder it might need 3GB more for installation/save.. so more likely 9.2GB to get the game running.

Odd thing they dont put the size of the installation added to the file size like with Ni no Kuni.

Ah yeah, good point. Still, should fit my 40gb hdd just fine, at least after deleting Last of Us

jrcbandit

I haven't had time to play the game much, but the combat seems very spammy, I am just mixing up between regular attacks and artes without really paying attention to what artes I am using other than making sure they can be linked. Sometimes link attacks go off but I can't really control it (of course I press R2 when the symbol appears), do I need to be adding the linked partners attacks to my right stick to ensure she casts appropriate spells?

I take it the combat gets a little more tactical when you get to tougher enemies that require you to pay attention to enemy weaknesses and use artes with that elemental attribute?

I haven't had time to play the game much, but the combat seems very spammy, I am just mixing up between regular attacks and artes without really paying attention to what artes I am using other than making sure they can be linked. Sometimes link attacks go off but I can't really control it (of course I press R2 when the symbol appears), do I need to be adding the linked partners attacks to my right stick to ensure she casts appropriate spells?

I take it the combat gets a little more tactical when you get to tougher enemies that require you to pay attention to enemy weaknesses and use artes with that elemental attribute?

I'm guessing you're only playing on normal :D

FSLink

Banned

There's a green Link symbol next to an arte and you can press a button to reveal all available Link Artes.

So if you're controlling Jude, and you're linked to Milla, you can use Demon Fist once the Link meter's up to use Final Gale.

I'm guessing you're only playing on normal :D

Honestly it's pretty spammy even on harder difficulties.

khaaan

What was the Ni no Kuni fiasco? Those are some really bad features. But, ugh, I'm desperate.

Lit6rTe.gif

At this point it's a bit of a blur, but what basically happened is that the collectors edition of Ni No Kuni was oversold...by alot. There was an initial deadline where you could pre-order, that deadline got extended. After the deadline there was also an additional day where they were taking extra orders. Many people, I believe especially (but not exclusively) the ones who ordered later during the selling period received a cancellation from Namco with the reason being "other". Some people complained and they were given a special link that allowed them to place orders even though you couldn't do so anymore via their website. That person posted the link publicly, more people placed orders and there was even more confusion/cancellations.

Digital River does ground shipping via UPS, I received a slightly battered product but I at least got it. There were many other people who had their orders cancelled very close to release, while there was one guy in the thread that someone linked who ordered one but was given three. There was also some controversy because the item was one per customer but you could place multiple orders with the same address/credit card. There's a fairly well known eBay seller (can't remember the name) who was selling Wizards Edition for an additional $100 before the game was even released.

I can look back and laugh a bit at the whole thing because I ordered early and got mine. Others didn't fare so well. Those who didn't get one were offered a $20 coupon for the Namco store (had to be redeemed that month) and one of those Prima guides.

zroid

Banned
arg so annoying this is coming out two days after Pikmin and the same day as Dragon's Crown. Being the longest of the three by a large margin means I'll probably have to keep it for last. Oooooh well.

Seda

IGN posted their review early I guess.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/06/tales-of-xillia-review

Colin Moriarty said:
The Tales series has a long history, and some games in particular – think Phantasia, Destiny, or Symphonia – hold a special place in my heart. Xillia isn’t better than any of those entries in my estimation, but it certainly is a worthy addition to the storied Tales franchise. Indeed, it’s no surprise that its sequel was so quickly green-lit and released in Japan (with a western localization coming in 2014).

Xillia’s ability to nurture Tales’ traditions while adding its own flavor to the mix is perhaps its greatest strength, and while it suffers from occasionally corny moments and a subpar graphical look, its weaknesses are overwhelmed by its complex systems, fun combat, interesting stories, and a compelling party of characters, not to mention its dueling protagonists.

Tales of Xillia is a must-play for Tales fans and JRPG freaks alike.

2Q9KN8f.png

I certainly wasn't expecting the only negative they gave it to be Subpar Graphics, I know it doesn't look as nice as vesperia graphically but I definately don't think it looks poor enough to deduct points for it.

Oh well, a good number score and it seemed like the reviewer enjoyed the game which is more then enough for me.

aravuus

8.0 is great, definitely starting to get that tingly hype feeling now. Still not sure if I'll get to play the game this weekend but I sure hope so.

Flarin

Watching the IGN review now... holy fuck is Milla's voice acting awful. Like... wow....
Game looks awesome though. Can't wait to start playing tomorrow.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Our embargo is definitely tomorrow. Good ol' exclusive reviews.
I'm not even sure what the point is of an exclusive Tales of review.

Very nice! That's a higher score than I was expecting, especially considering how JRPG's are generally received.

Not really. IGN's past scores:

Symphonia -- 8.5
Legendia -- 7.7
Abyss -- 8.3
Vesperia -- 8.2

All they did was round down from their usual score :p

Synless

The graphics are worse then Vesperia that came out many years ago? How? The character models are obviously better.

Seda

Reading Colin's review, it is quite positive. His criticisms are namely the visuals, Milla's voice (the video review says the rest of the VA is quite good), Alvin's part of the story, and some corniness overall. He doesn't really criticize much specifically in terms of gameplay.

They mentioned in the review that the VA is high quality except for Milla but I remember someone mentioning before that she's supposed to be like that in the beginning.

Even if it doesn't improve what I heard in the review video wasn't so bad as to make me cringe at least.

Although only one character has ever managed to make me do that.

I'll give you one guess as to who that character is, kay?

FSLink

Banned
The graphics are worse then Vesperia that came out many years ago? How? The character models are obviously better.

They're not, Vesperia just has an artstyle that many people prefer (including myself). Xillia's cutscene direction for example also blows Vesperia's out of the water.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

The Power of cel/toon-shading. Still not sure why more Tales games didn't use it. Helps cover up the games' technical limitations.

Not bad, the game encourages two playthroughs. I usually don't ever replay a RPG twice but this is pretty good.

So the story is the same with either character only some differences with cutscenes and side quests?

Edit: "Subpar graphics?" What?

Top Bottom