• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

kyoakuma

Banned
You would get a complete intro but not a complete picture of the overall plot since they split up again quite a few times into the game so you would basically have to play both sides almost all the way to see everything. It's better to play one side first then the other with grade shop bonuses.

From what videos I seen, it looks like you could cheese fights even easier than how this game is through spamming Crag Waltz or something similar.

So jude would be the best first play through?

So newegg just emailed me basically saying my CE "supposedly" was damaged, so here have 10% off the LE version. That's just awesome right? I call bullshit and they ran out.

tsT8ahV.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jude would be best to play through first, yes.

is the plot worth playing again twice?

There isn't some NIER level of crazyness right?
Not like Nier at all, nope. Sometimes the characters will separate for a little bit of a time, and you'll get to see a smidge of events from either Milla or Jude's perspective at that time. This lasts all the way until Act 4.

What I did on my second playthrough was that I skipped all the scenes I'd seen on the first playthrough and just watched the Milla playthrough-exclusive scenes instead. For the most part, they see the same stuff outside of the bits when they split up. But Milla's scenes seem to generally be supplementary (ie: the intrigue in Jude's side of the story isn't there because Milla sees some things that Jude doesn't), versus Jude's whose scenes are mostly tied to the main plot and delivers the right amount of intrigue for the player, and it introduces the player properly to Rieze Maxia.

Milla's side tends to be kind of weird for introducing the player to the world, and thus people felt that they should've started with Jude's side first back when the game was first released in Japan.

I refuse to play Jude first =\ He looks terrible. I'm gonna play Milla first and use that as my main save file and just have an alt save and replay on easy just for Jude's extra story crap. >.>

Sorian

Banned
I refuse to play Jude first =\ He looks terrible. I'm gonna play Milla first and use that as my main save file and just have an alt save and replay on easy just for Jude's extra story crap. >.>

You can play as whoever you want throughout the game. The choice just dictates which character you follow during very very short story splits.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You can play as whoever you want throughout the game. The choice just dictates which character you follow during very very short story splits.
Well, there is one rather long one, but I'll leave that up for players to find on their own.

You know that you can still control Milla on Jude's playthrough, right? Like any other Tales game.

Well, there is one rather long one, but I'll leave that up for players to find on their own.

You know that you can still control Milla on Jude's playthrough, right? Like any other Tales game.

Choosing Jude doesn't change any of the story telling or dialog during the game then? I thought it would change a lot o.o

Shouta

Choosing Jude doesn't change any of the story telling or dialog during the game then? I thought it would change a lot o.o

It affects what you see you when the story splits. Jude is a more complete picture for a single playthrough so it's recommended that you do that one and just skip through the same stuff until the Millia specific things in a second playthrough.

Bladenic

I refuse to play Jude first = He looks terrible. I'm gonna play Milla first and use that as my main save file and just have an alt save and replay on easy just for Jude's extra story crap. >.>

Jude is awesome though... To play anyway. Milla is super fun too but I slightly prefer Jude due to him being a martial artist.

Kuno

Polygon's Justin McElroy: "Hey, I can't say what it is yet, but one of the best games of the year is being released this week. Get psyched."

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/364392571620954112

Could he be talking about anything but Tales of Xillia? Polygon already reviewed Dragon's Crown, and the embargo is over for that game anyway.

I'm really on the fence with this game, so I want to read some reviews.

Mr.Fresh

Are there any good Sub event / Skit guides out yet? I hate missing things lol. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. Gonna finish Persona 4 tonight.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Polygon's Justin McElroy: "Hey, I can't say what it is yet, but one of the best games of the year is being released this week. Get psyched."

Could he be talking about anything but Tales of Xillia? Polygon already reviewed Dragon's Crown, and the embargo is over for that game anyway.

Wat? lol. No way.

Embargo ends tomorrow morning. Look for my video and written review on rpgsite.net =D

Cheska

I wonder if we should make the first post of every page say something along the lines of playing Jude first is the recommended route.

Psi

He's probably talking about the Mario+Luigi game.

Chake

Banned

It's Payday 2. No way it's xillia, it haze no gunz.

Jude would be best to play through first, yes.

Not like Nier at all, nope. Sometimes the characters will separate for a little bit of a time, and you'll get to see a smidge of events from either Milla or Jude's perspective at that time. This lasts all the way until Act 4.

What I did on my second playthrough was that I skipped all the scenes I'd seen on the first playthrough and just watched the Milla playthrough-exclusive scenes instead. For the most part, they see the same stuff outside of the bits when they split up. But Milla's scenes seem to generally be supplementary (ie: the intrigue in Jude's side of the story isn't there because Milla sees some things that Jude doesn't), versus Jude's whose scenes are mostly tied to the main plot and delivers the right amount of intrigue for the player, and it introduces the player properly to Rieze Maxia.

Milla's side tends to be kind of weird for introducing the player to the world, and thus people felt that they should've started with Jude's side first back when the game was first released in Japan.
sucks to hear because milla is just so cool, wanted to choose her first, but then I read stuff like this and it makes it seem like Jude is the no brainer.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What actually comes out this week? I'm like 90% sure he's not talkign about Xillia unless I'm smoking something really weird.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What actually comes out this week? I'm like 90% sure he's not talkign about Xillia unless I'm smoking something really weird.
Man, I miss when GAF used to have release week threads. It was easier to keep tabs on stuff.

Consoles;
- Disney's Planes (3DS/Wii U)
- Steamworld Dig (3DS)
- Dragon's Crown (PSV/PS3)
- ibb and obb (PS3)
- Little Acorns (PSV)
- Superfrog HD (PS3)
- Tales of Xillia (PS3)
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (360)

PC:
08/06
- Divinity: Dragon Commander
- Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
- The Sims 3: Dragon Valley

08/08
- Guacamelee! Gold Edition
- Spelunky

08/09
- Guncraft

haha really?

time and eternity didn't scratch your timing based jrpg itch? :)
>:|

I'm at the end now, and can beat the final boss. Finishing up some sidequests and then it's time to end this shit.

In all seriousness, I really enjoy the Mario & Luigi games. I think they're generally pretty solid and they're pretty adorable. I don't know much about Dream Team because I didn't keep up with media and reviews much on purpose, so I hope I enjoy it in the end. I've been told to keep my expectations low, though.

A spoilered yes or no would be great.

Does Xillia have a post-game dungeon like Vesperia and Gracesf?
Yes.

That's all I'll say about the EX dungeon because I really dislike it, but I won't say why.

kewlmyc

So newegg just emailed me basically saying my CE "supposedly" was damaged, so here have 10% off the LE version. That's just awesome right? I call bullshit and they ran out.

tsT8ahV.png

Never preorder games from Newegg. They're godlike when it comes to computer parts, but suck when it comes to games.

Also, only $6 off? Douchebags.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
All that love. Keeps doing sidequests and all.
KuGsj.gif
Well, it's actually because you get the game's equivalent of Ability Points when you do sidequests, and AP/money isn't very plentiful from the game's battles at all (it's rather poorly balanced in that respect... hell, everything's half-baked in this). So if I wanted to get some passive skills that work better with the playable character, I'd have to do some sidequests. It's kind of dumb, really. The job tree is just stupid.

I'll write impressions about the game, then, when I'm finished in that game's OT.

Well, it's actually because you get the game's equivalent of Ability Points when you do sidequests, and AP/money isn't very plentiful from the game's battles at all (it's rather poorly balanced in that respect... hell, everything's half-baked in this). So if I wanted to get some passive skills that work better with the playable character, I'd have to do some sidequests. It's kind of dumb, really. The job tree is just stupid.

I'll write impressions about the game, then, when I'm finished in that game's OT.

Wow metacritic is really low on Time and Eternity (not that the absolute score matters, just the relative review comments).

Gaming Age gave it zero:

Gaming Age 0 If you see this game on the shelf, don’t touch it, don’t even look at it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I get the feeling me means Brother or whatever it is that releases on XBLA.

So people always said that Graces had the best combat but some of the worst characters, while Vesperia had soem of the best characters but slow combat.

How does Xilia rank with the other games in the franchise in terms of characters, overall story, and combat system?

FSLink

Banned
So people always said that Graces had the best combat but some of the worst characters, while Vesperia had soem of the best characters but slow combat.

How does Xilia rank with the other games in the franchise in terms of characters, overall story, and combat system?
Great cast, decent story, battle system that is fun paced and better than Vesperia's (outside of bosses) that doesn't quite reach Graces's strategic depth.

chrono01

From what I've read it has a better battle system than Vesperia, but not as good as Graces. The characters, on the other hand, are better than Graces, but doesn't quite beat the cast of Vesperia.

Basically, it's the "in-between" both of them. Not the best at either, but not the worst either. If you enjoyed Graces and Vesperia, it sounds as though you should enjoy Xillia as well.

I'll find out for myself tomorrow [although I probably won't start it until I dedicate some time to Dragon's Crown first -_-].

Top Bottom