• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Vanille

The Power of cel/toon-shading. Still not sure why more Tales games didn't use it. Helps cover up the games' technical limitations.

It's really the perfect art style for this series. Vesperia will age wonderfully while Xillia is going to look dated very quickly.

Never played a tales games. Should I get this?
If you enjoy JRPGs, yes! But don't forget Tales of Vesperia for the 360, Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS, and Graces f for the PS3. Xilia 2 and the Symphonia collection is coming out next year. It's nice to have the entire collection!

It's a good time to be a Tales' fan. Bamco is really on a roll lately with these Tales' games, Project X Zone, and Xilia. And it all started with Dark Souls!

FSLink

Banned
Was it this tales game where each character was designed by a different artist?

Tales games usually have their characters done by Mutsumi Inomata or Kosuke Fujishima.
Some that Fujishima has done are Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia. Inomata has done Destiny, Destiny II/Eternia, and Graces.

For Xillia, it was a collaboration.
Fujishima: Jude, Alvin, Elize
Inomata: Milla, Leia, Rowen

Daigo Okumura is another designer and he did Emil, Marta, and Richter for Tales of Symphonia: DotNW, and he also did Ludger and Elle in Xillia 2.

For Legendia it was a special case and done by Kazuto Nakazawa, who's probably known for his work on Samurai Champloo. :p

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
If you enjoy JRPGs, yes! But don't forget Tales of Vesperia for the 360, Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS, and Graces f for the PS3. Xilia 2 and the Symphonia collection is coming out next year.

It's a good time to be a Tales' fan. Bamco really redeemed themselves this year with these Tales' games, Project X Zone, and Xilia. And it all started with Dark Souls!

I don't have a 360 so Tales of Vesperia is out.

What is the symphonia collection?

antibolo

Banned
So is the game dual audio? And if not, any chance that it will get an Asian version with English/Chinese text and Japanese voices like Final Fantasy XIII?

Stuart444

So is the game dual audio? And if not, any chance that it will get an Asian version with English/Chinese text and Japanese voices like Final Fantasy XIII?

No it isn't and no it won't.

Symphonia Chronicles will have dual audio though if you want that with Japanese voices.

FSLink

Banned

No, and doubtful considering the game's been out in Asia territories for 2 years already.

I don't have a 360 so Tales of Vesperia is out.

What is the symphonia collection?
It's the HD remaster of the GameCube game and includes the sequel from the Wii game.

Symphonia isn't considered the best Tales game but probably the most memorable because it was practically the only JRPG on the GC at the time and a lot of people's first Tales game. It was my first a well.

Seda

No it doesn't and doesn't seem that way.

Symphonia Chronicles will have dual audio though.

I'm pretty sure Xillia 2 was also confirmed to not have dual audio when it releases next year.

Tales games usually have their characters done by Mutsumi Inomata or Kosuke Fujishima.
Some that Fujishima has done are Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia. Inomata has done Destiny, Destiny II/Eternia, and Graces.

For Xillia, it was a collaboration.
Fujishima: Jude, Alvin, Elize
Inomata: Milla, Leia, Rowen

Daigo Okumura is another designer and he did Emil, Marta, and Richter for Tales of Symphonia: DotNW, and he also did Ludger and Elle in Xillia 2.

For Legendia it was a special case and done by Kazuto Nakazawa, who's probably known for his work on Samurai Champloo. :p
Wasn't graces something to do with CLAMP?

Rebel Leader

No it doesn't and doesn't seem that way.

Symphonia Chronicles will have dual audio though.

I'm pretty sure Xillia 2 was also confirmed to not have dual audio when it releases next year.

After years of watching anime with subs.. such a bitter pill

Persona7

Banned
I just got the automated call and it said the game will be available in the evening tomorrow. I then called the store and they said wednesday after Noon.

luokyl

IGN just throws darts at a board and that's the number that the game gets. I wouldn't look too much into it.

There is no semblence of consistency in their scores so comparison is worthless

kMljp1f.jpg

Xillia worse than Star Ocean 4 confirmed.

I'm kidding of course but with J RPGs especially, review scores don't affect my purchase or anticipation at all. Having said that, I'm glad IGN reviewed it and gave it a reasonable score, more publicity means more sales means more Tales.

Bladenic

It's really the perfect art style for this series. Vesperia will age wonderfully while Xillia is going to look dated very quickly.

Yup, it's why I think Vesperia is still the prettiest game. I get that they like to change the look for almost every game but I think they could change the art style and still use cel shading.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I guess IGN had an exclusive or something. The press note states that embargo lifts August 6, 2013 9:00 am PST.

antibolo

Banned
Companies like Namco, Atlus and Square Enix are out of touch with their JRPG audience. Providing the original audio should be a given by now. Especially on a PS3 exclusive, which has no crippling storage limitations.

Sorian

Banned
Xillia worse than Star Ocean 4 confirmed.

I'm kidding of course but with J RPGs especially, review scores don't affect my purchase or anticipation at all. Having said that, I'm glad IGN reviewed it and gave it a reasonable score, more publicity means more sales means more Tales.

I can appreciate the written text of a review but 9 times out of 10, that score at the end is just what popped into their head.

Rebel Leader

I stopped using Amazon for the most part because they use dog shit packaging that doesn't protect the games and I was constantly receiving damaged packages.

They used to have excellent packaging.

I always receive things with good packaging materials. Weird.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Companies like Namco, Atlus and Square Enix are out of touch with their JRPG audience. Providing the original audio should be a given by now. Especially on a PS3 exclusive, which has no crippling storage limitations.

Storage isn't always the issue. Licensing issues come into play as well.

Persona7

Banned
I always receive things with good packaging materials. Weird.

Last time it happened to me they just shoved three games and a bluray in one of these but with the longer side :

nQPuFlN.jpg

Every single game was smashed and one game was sticking out where it folds. Before that they were using those really cheap DVD bubble mailers.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Looking forward to your review Jason :)

Also the IGN review has a lot of positive points but the rating is 8. Seems a bit off IMO especially when the only negative is "Sub-Par Graphics"

Translation of Western review scores for JRPGs:

9+ = this game is good and non-animey. Maybe from a major/beloved franchise!
8-9 = this game is good but either anime-y or we don't know what to say about it!
7-9 = this game is flawed
<7 = boo-urns

the review's text is more important anyways

Eusis

Storage isn't always the issue. Licensing issues come into play as well.
I actually suspect that despite my worries about Microsoft sticking with DVD9 holding back multiplatform games from Japan getting dual audio, in the end the most damning thing was always licensing, followed by other technical considerations like if the code will support a VA toggle easily or if they feel like they need to lipsync. There were always options on 360 that were used like putting VA on a second disc or as DLC so while maybe Microsoft's weird and will do something like not allow VA to be on disc for PS3 but download on 360 (even though the end difference for 60%+ of potential customers is the same) in the end raw storage space isn't THAT insurmountable like on CD or cartridges, at least DS and earlier cartridges.
Translation of Western review scores for JRPGs:

9+ = this game is good and non-animey. Maybe from a major/beloved franchise!
8-9 = this game is good but either anime-y or we don't know what to say about it!
7-9 = this game is flawed
<7 = boo-urns

the review's text is more important anyways
I seem to recall quite a few decent ones managed to get 7. It's 6 and under that are usually reserved for ones people really don't like, though 6 sometimes overlaps with "this is hardcore, archaic, and/or niche."

jschreier

Looking forward to your review Jason :)

Also the IGN review has a lot of positive points but the rating is 8. Seems a bit off IMO especially when the only negative is "Sub-Par Graphics"
Not me! Fahey's reviewing it. I've got Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Review scores are arbitrary and meaningless. The text is all that really matters.

FSLink

Banned
I actually suspect that despite my worries about Microsoft sticking with DVD9 holding back multiplatform games from Japan getting dual audio, in the end the most damning thing was always licensing, followed by other technical considerations like if the code will support a VA toggle easily or if they feel like they need to lipsync. There were always options on 360 that were used like putting VA on a second disc or as DLC so while maybe Microsoft's weird and will do something like not allow VA to be on disc for PS3 but download on 360 (even though the end difference for 60%+ of potential customers is the same) in the end raw storage space isn't THAT insurmountable like on CD or cartridges, at least DS and earlier cartridges.

You have to consider that digital licensing is often separate from retail licensing too. It's too much effort + money for something that only a handful of fans would enjoy.
I do think the Tales games should be dual audio though because its audience is a lot of anime enthusiasts, they'd be more of the market that Namco should be targeting...which is what they seem to have figured out advertising at cons and stuff.

Rpgmonkey

The graphics are worse then Vesperia that came out many years ago? How? The character models are obviously better.

I feel Vesperia uses a style and technical level that they were more capable of working with.

Xillia tries some things that have greater potential than Vesperia in terms of scope and detail, but I feel that overall its visuals aren't as polished and consistent in regards to art and how it affects performance. The next game will probably (hopefully) be better, but Xillia has a lot of rough patches.

No Tales game is really going to be a showcase, so it helps a lot if they use an appealing style with a good level of consistency throughout the game. Aside from things like animations, Vesperia's visuals may end up having better longevity.

Eusis

Not me! Fahey's reviewing it. I've got Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Review scores are arbitrary and meaningless. The text is all that really matters.
If I'm not feeling like reading a full review I tend to at least read the closing paragraph/summary as that usually gives me enough of an idea, especially if I either want to avoid spoilers or feel the review gets into nitty gritty I won't fully comprehend without hands on time anyway.
I really want to give this a shot but was bored to tears with Ni No Kuni.
Way more action focused than Ni no Kuni, Ni no Kuni was like some smaller scale, instanced version of something like Xenoblade or FFXII, whereas this is almost like a fighting game really. Not that you use special moves via specific inputs (though some games DO have accessories for that) but it still plays somewhat similarly. The closest alternative is Star Ocean and that's with semi-auto combat on.
You have to consider that digital licensing is often separate from retail licensing too. It's too much effort + money for something that only a handful of fans would enjoy.
I do think the Tales games should be dual audio though because its audience is a lot of anime enthusiasts, they'd be more of the market that Namco should be targeting...which is what they seem to have figured out advertising at cons and stuff.
True, and I do think it matters more for Tales. Makes it look somewhat absurd it took this long for an undubbed, non-instrumental song and that it'll be the next release with full on Japanese VA, but it definitely is the series that may be most aimed at the anime crowd.

Of course, part of that IS because of the talent they hire, which I imagine makes for a more costly dub than many games, but they still manage it for many anime so something must be doable more often than not, if not the vocal songs then at least for the main game.

Top Bottom