• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You know what they mean. Drive-by one-liners turning into 30-page derails of the same five posters declaring how they want to have hate-sex with Toriyama, how Perfo should go commit suicide, and how Kitase and Ito and various other Japanese names that aren't Toriyama make flawless, perfect games.

edit: Also, chalk me up for the anti-Teepo squad too. Not sure what they were trying to do with the voice...it needs modulation or something.

Isn't this like backseat modding? You should probably stop.

I just honestly don't understand in this day and age how bad voice acting can exist. Someone sat down and listened to the lines and the delivery, solemnly stroked his chin and said "Yes. That's great."

I highly doubt it. How is this possible?

Is there any point to playing this on Unknown difficulty? I don't see a trophy or anything related to it. I was planning to replay this as Milla and do unknown at the same time.

Is there any point to playing this on Unknown difficulty? I don't see a trophy or anything related to it. I was planning to replay this as Milla and do unknown at the same time.

No trophies or any of that sort.

You can possibly gain more exp in the form of combo exp since enemies won't die so easily.

If you are going to use the grade shop bonuses and carrying over the fell arms, playing unknown mode is the only way to not end battles in 15 seconds.

I just honestly don't understand in this day and age how bad voice acting can exist. Someone sat down and listened to the lines and the delivery, solemnly stroked his chin and said "Yes. That's great."

I highly doubt it. How is this possible?

Poor directing, I think they had this idea to make Milla sound inhuman but they went too far and it just makes the va sound inept

Reveirg

Isn't this like backseat modding? You should probably stop.

Isn't THAT backseat modding kayos? Haha just kidding but it's kind of ironic...

Backseat modding or not, I know it pollutes the GAF experience for me and many others. There's a difference between expressing opinions and discussing a game negatively and pure bashing. Unfortunately, when it comes to XIII games, it tends to fall into the latter more often than not. But anyway that's my opinion and mods are entitled to manage the situation as they see fit.

I personnally just try to avoid those threads more and more--- yeah and I just noticed this is a Tales of thread so why are we talking about this? o_O

Yeah about Tales-- I just finished Chapter 1. The game is amazing so far. I just wish they'd drop Sakuraba now. It's just rehash after rehash and the whole OST feels uninspired. There would be so many fitting options for this series! (ACE+, or the team that composed Arc Rise Fantasia)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Towards the end, the music gets so much better imo. Xillia 2's soundtrack is better somewhat.

Arc Rise Fantasia's team was Yasunori Mitsuda / Yuki Haruda / Shunsuke Tsuchiya. Haruda did most of the stuff I really liked.

Reveirg

Towards the end, the music gets so much better imo. Xillia 2's soundtrack is better somewhat.

Arc Rise Fantasia's team was Yasunori Mitsuda / Yuki Haruda / Shunsuke Tsuchiya. Haruda did most of the stuff I really liked.

Yeah, his world map theme is so beautiful. I remember getting this classic RPG feel that I hadn't felt for a long time upon arriving on the overworld.

I can really see that composer working on the Tales of series.

denshuu

For those of you who've finished a playthrough already, about how much GP did you end up with? I'm not really focusing on gaining titles or anything like that my first time through, but I want to know how much grinding I'm in for if I want to carry over my character levels and fell weapons.

TheContact

Argh this game made me want to play Tales of Destiny 2 but it's not on the PSN, or any other Tales game for that matter. I need a Tales fix on my Vita

FSLink

Banned
Argh this game made me want to play Tales of Destiny 2 but it's not on the PSN, or any other Tales game for that matter. I need a Tales fix on my Vita

The RadiMyth games are on the PSN store, though not sure if they work on Vita.

Honest opinion?

I think if you put Arc Rise Fantasia's voice acting on mute the game is a solid 8/10. I enjoyed it an enormous amount.

That acting though...ugh...

For those of you who've finished a playthrough already, about how much GP did you end up with? I'm not really focusing on gaining titles or anything like that my first time through, but I want to know how much grinding I'm in for if I want to carry over my character levels and fell weapons.

Depends on how many tasks you get done. I think with finishing all the sidequests I could do and knocking out the easy tasks in the titles list, I ended up with about 2000 to 3000 grade out of a possible I believe 10,000 grade.

I will say carrying over the character's levels is probably one of the least worth things in the grade shop.

It'll be cheaper to get the x2 exp and the x5 exp to get x10 exp from battle and you'll easily hit level 99 in no time.

Reveirg

Honest opinion?

I think if you put Arc Rise Fantasia's voice acting on mute the game is a solid 8/10. I enjoyed it an enormous amount.

That acting though...ugh...

Yeah I really really enjoyed that game. I just put the voice acting to off after 5 hours and I enjoyed a solid classic RPG with a great turn-based system, intriguing story and great music. It's on the level of recent Tales of games IMO.

Sora_N

So...I finally watched a youtube video, I really really don't like Milla's English VA (and I'm a fan of Miyuki Sawahiro), how tolerable is the English Milla as your progress the game? Just want to hear some of your experiences. I could import but I don't really have the willpower to finish an RPG in Japanese right now (lazy). I'm considering trying to import anyways, not sure if I can stand the voice lol.

I haven't opened my copy yet since I had some schoolwork and stuff, it's just sitting there in front of me.

Persona7

Banned
So...I finally watched a youtube video, I really really don't like Milla's English VA (and I'm a fan of Miyuki Sawahiro), how tolerable is the English Milla as your progress the game? Just want to hear some of your experiences. I could import but I don't really have the willpower to finish an RPG in Japanese right now (lazy). I'm considering trying to import anyways, not sure if I can stand the voice lol.

I haven't opened my copy yet since I had some schoolwork and stuff, it's just sitting there in front of me.

I don't know what you mean by tolerable. I like her voice a lot.

aravuus

Alright, it unlocked! At 1am, for whatever reason. No matter, it's been a long while since I've got to play a Tales game I actually expect to be something, Graces F was... Okay, but nowhere near most of the earlier games.

chrono01

Anybody have sample screens of what this looks like?
Here's a sample image [sorry that it's so small].

ib0HzZLts2fBXp.jpg

I love it since I absolutely adore the art-style, and it's a static image meaning it doesn't cycle through characters each time the console is booted up. To some that might be a negative but, to me, I like knowing that it'll be constant.

Depends on how much like you hearing HISSSSSSSSSSSSS

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

ib0HzZLts2fBXp.jpg

I love it since I absolutely adore the art-style, and it's a static image meaning it doesn't cycle through characters each time the console is booted up. To some that might be a negative but, to me, I like knowing that it'll be constant.

Looks pretty good.

FSLink

Banned

ib0HzZLts2fBXp.jpg

I do think it's kind of disappointing that a 15th Anniversary theme doesn't feature other Tales games.
However, it looks nice, but I'll probably stick with my Xillia 2 theme even if it is very pink. I really like the art for that theme.

aravuus

Holy shit lol, you can customize so much about attachments, this is way too awesome! I'm totally going to be spending way too much time with this stuff

chrono01

Looks pretty good.
Indeed, I'm very happy with it.

It's even more appreciated when I wasn't aware I'd even be receiving it until a few days prior to release. As many already know, there was no mention of these being included as bonus DLC in the Collector's Edition until those that ordered them starting receiving/unboxing their orders.

It was definitely a pleasant surprise as I needed a new theme. I've been using the Tales of Graces F theme for far too long. -_-

I do think it's kind of disappointing that a 15th Anniversary theme doesn't feature other Tales games.
Yeah, to be honest I thought it would cycle between the cast of previous Tales of... games upon each reboot [similar to other dynamic themes]. However, it doesn't.

While it is more consistent, as I mentioned earlier, it would have been nice to have the Tales of Destiny, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Vesperia, etc. cast included in the theme [since it's the 15th Anniversary]. :(

FSLink

Banned
Holy shit lol, you can customize so much about attachments, this is way too awesome! I'm totally going to be spending way too much time with this stuff

I finished my first playthrough in Japanese with everyone in top hats and monocles. A classy way to end a classy game.

aravuus

I finished my first playthrough in Japanese with everyone in top hats and monocles. A classy way to end a classy game.

Haha I bet, shame the only attachment I got for pre-ordering I think was Cress' sword, which is a bit boring. Oh well.

Anyway, are new side quests (sub events?) added to the event list after I talk to people who give them or automatically when you're close to the quest giver or something? And I gather you'll pretty much end up doing everything as long as you talk to most people you run into? Want to do as much as possible on my first playthrough.

People's talk icons turn grey when you've heard what they have to say? I love little conveniences like this

MechaX

I think I'm starting to warm up to Milla's voice acting a little bit more. She definitely excels when she's doing dead-pan humor though, rather than just talking exposition.

FSLink

Banned
I think I'm starting to warm up to Milla's voice acting a little bit more. She definitely excels when she's doing dead-pan humor though, rather than just talking exposition.

Yeah, she definitely shines in skits. Story wise she's kind of iffy. :/

Stuart444

With Millas VA, it seems like the most split thing when it comes to Tales of Xillia.

Half the people love her VA, some hate it and some hate it at first and then warm up to it.

I look forward to hearing more since all I've heard is her battle video (from the character videos we got), the bazongas skit and the very first scene with her in Judes game because I couldn't resist watching the first 10 or so minutes of the English version XD.

The most popular opinion is how awesome Alvin is, I look forward to seeing/hearing him in it :)

Stuart444

Yeah, there was an elevator I missed to put a block on. I just now passed chapter 1! 15 hours. I thought this game had lots of anime scenes? I've only seen 1 and that was the intro to the game.

It does, just keep playing and you'll see. :) most of them are saved for important scenes which there is quite a few of.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, there was an elevator I missed to put a block on. I just now passed chapter 1! 15 hours. I thought this game had lots of anime scenes? I've only seen 1 and that was the intro to the game.

15 hours? Wow... I think I'm going too fast then... only at 10 hours in and a bit of ways past that. Helps that I played the original I suppose.

RPGCrazied

It does, just keep playing and you'll see. :) most of them are saved for important scenes which there is quite a few of.

Oh cool. I feel the story is just now getting good. It was a bit slow at the start. For me anyways.

15 hours? Wow... I think I'm going too fast then... only at 10 hours in and a bit of ways past that. Helps that I played the original I suppose.

I fight every monster on field maps, I try and find every glittering spec for materials. I do every single quest. I talk to every npc in towns. Yeah, I'm a freak. lol

I was afraid that English Teepo wouldn't be as good as Japanese Tipo. I really liked that quality to his voice. Really made the character for me.

I agree .tippo is an anomaly in japanese , but the more time you spend with it , the better he gets.
By the end of the game you're loving him.

At least that how it was for me.

MilkBeard

Yeah about Tales-- I just finished Chapter 1. The game is amazing so far. I just wish they'd drop Sakuraba now. It's just rehash after rehash and the whole OST feels uninspired. There would be so many fitting options for this series! (ACE+, or the team that composed Arc Rise Fantasia)

I do like the music in Arc Rise Fantasia, and I have an ear for Mitsuda as well. But I'm gonna have to disagree about Xillia's music, I think it sounds great, and totally fits the game. Loving the atmospheric vibes, and the Chinese themed songs as well.

If there was one song that I'm not too keen on, it's Jude's battle theme. It's just too hard rock for me.

kewlmyc

MUTTON

FRESH MUTTON

Please, please stop. I don't want any dammit.

EDIT:
Why did they decide to make Alvin so fucking obvious that he's going to betray us. It's kinda weird that everyone trusts him so much when he has "traitor" flags popping up every scene that he's in. He's still a fun character.

Top Bottom