• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Aeana

I just got to my second one and I thought I was in the same place. Haha. Still better than Graces' tiny ones though.

I don't agree that it's better. :\
Maybe as you get further in the game and see how many identical ports there are, you won't either!

gotta love how the very first sidequest is about 'oh noes, monsters at the lake, how will we get water now?'

how about the 50 other monsters you have to fight pass to even get to the lake? :)

There doesn't even seem to be any kind of 'road' that connects towns... I'm climbing up cliffs and shit, so i'm a bit iffy how this nation even works. Is there even trade?

im a weirdo that thinks about that in my rpgs lol.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
gotta love how the very first sidequest is about 'oh noes, monsters at the lake, how will we get water now?'

how about the 50 other monsters you have to fight pass to even get to the lake? :)

There doesn't even seem to be any kind of 'road' that connects towns... I'm climbing up cliffs and shit, so i'm a bit iffy how this nation even works. Is there even trade?

Those areas you're traveling through are trade routes.

Yuterald

I'm 3 hours in, but I'm sort of digging this game. Definitely enjoying it more than Graces f so far. Really liking the party member linking stuff in combat. The upgrade/orb system's alright too. Characters are way more likeable than the cast in Graces f so far as well. Clearly feels more adult.

Just a couple of small complaints so far. I had one of those "game/world feels stupid" moments with this already. During the escape sequence near the start of Jude's path, you're trying to exit a city and there' are guards everywhere. In the central plaza you have citizens standing around saying stuff like, "What's going on? Why are there so many guards around?", etc. You can run up to a bunch of guards standing around or patrolling the area and fight them too. Some of these soldiers are like RIGHT next to some of the people. Fighting guards right in front of people should clearly cause a scene, but after battle people continue to stand around like idiots and say the same stuff like nothing happened. I know, this is total nitpicking stuff, but this kind of shit drives me crazy for some reason, especially in modern games. Although, Graces f was far worse with this kind of stuff.

The giant, empty fields feel weird too. Is there going to be traditional dungeons in this game? I somehow get the impression that there's not. Enemies are HUGE on the map and it just sort of feels/looks funny running around. The first battle track kind of sucks too. Not that I was expecting much from phoned-in-Motoi at this point. The first major field track is nice though.

What's this about a Jude teleport? Am I not far enough in the game to have access to it or did I just skip a tutorial that explained that mechanic?

Aeana

What's this about a Jude teleport? Am I not far enough in the game to have access to it or did I just skip a tutorial that explained that mechanic?

Do a backstep right as an enemy attacks you. You'll teleport behind the enemy.
It was explained in second tutorial battle.

kayos90

People really shouldn't be skipping the tutorial stuff. It's like... sort of there for a reason lol.

Do a backstep right as an enemy attacks you. You'll teleport behind the enemy.
It was explained in second tutorial battle.

Well crap that would have been awesome to know lol oh god that makes Jude ridiculous if you can flash guard into a teleport :O !

People really shouldn't be skipping the tutorial stuff. It's like... sort of there for a reason lol.

I only skipped the first few which seemed to be about basic tales mechanics, I watched all the ones about linking and link arts and other new mechanics. Guess I goofed lol

so yeah... am i the only one that plopped bunny ears on elize right away? They just match.

I am starting to feel the usual tales problem of, reasoning of people joining the party being a bit iffy.

It doesn't seem as bad as graces (no clue why half the party is even around) yet though.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Got to play a few hours last night. Anyone know what all difficulty setting changes? I've been playing on hard, but with the amount of HP enemies have and no real incentive to use combos other than mash X (at least so far), I find I'm spending more time just mashing x over and over. Up attacks for juggling might be useful later, but down attacks for sweeps seem bad since you do so much less damage to a downed enemy.

Some other aspects are interesting like the back dash teleport thing, links, and the link combo moves. The dash and links kind of go against each other though because if I want to bait an enemy into attacking so I can swoop in behind them my partner will just smack them and interrupt their attack. Maybe I need to intentionally unlink, teleport, re-link and begin comboing? I didn't think of that until writing this paragraph.

Does Milla have a special mechanic? Jude has teleport behind, Alvin has his sword charge, what does Milla have?

kayos90

so yeah... am i the only one that plopped bunny ears on elize right away? They just match.

I am starting to feel the usual tales problem of, reasoning of people joining the party being a bit iffy.

It doesn't seem as bad as graces (no clue why half the party is even around) yet though.

With the exception of Leia, everyone else's reasons seemed pretty valid imo.

damn this game has a lot of save points

It's kinda funny that most towns have a save point right at the entrance to the outskirts of the town, and then once you cross to the outskirts there's one literally in front of you. They really added a ton of save points in this game.

My copy has been shipped, the moment it arrives I hope to put like five hours into in one sitting. How do you get attachments in this game, subquests?

Played about 30 minutes, really liking it so far. I though Mila was a typical tsundere so I was really taken aback when she started talking, wasn't expecting her to be so calm and collected, pleasant surprise there.
Love the battle system. Game looks really nice.

haven't really been paying attention to this game, but yeah i was a bit shocked when jude got out of scrubs into his 'casual outfit'. None of my med school friends dress remotely like that lol.

is there some strategy tweaks im missing? I set elize to keep her tp at 75% and to prioritize healing, but she still seems to be spaming faerie circle even when my guys are like mostly healed up. Wish she had 'first aid' or something thats single target.

she drains her tp too fast lol.

haven't really been paying attention to this game, but yeah i was a bit shocked when jude got out of scrubs into his 'casual outfit'. None of my med school friends dress remotely like that lol.

is there some strategy tweaks im missing? I set elize to keep her tp at 75% and to prioritize healing, but she still seems to be spaming faerie circle even when my guys are like mostly healed up. Wish she had 'first aid' or something thats single target.

she drains her tp too fast lol.

All of the ai minus the person you're linked to use their tp like its a use it or lose it if you don't put then at least to 50% conserve tp. Also unless I'm in a really hard fight I generally tell the ai up to you I find they're more useful that way. Telling them to do anything specific and all they'll do is that one thing the whole battle.

PKrockin

Yep. I laughed and thought "oh, right, this is a fantasy JRPG."

It's funny how NPCs dress somewhat normally and then the main characters dress like Elvis or have multicolored hair and a miniskirt with straps over the midriff.

chrono01

Is it recommended to use Auto Level? I've read that it's possible to completely fill out the Lilium Orb at Level 99 anyway, so it's not as though you can permanently mess up your stats. I am aware, however, that you gain GP at a slower rate in the higher levels, so that might prove to be an issue.

I'm not sure exactly what stat increases I should go for each character. That's why Auto-Level would be such an asset to me. -_-

kayos90

Is it recommended to use Auto Level? I've read that it's possible to completely fill out the Lilium Orb at Level 99 anyway, so it's not as though you can permanently mess up your stats. I am aware, however, that you gain GP at a slower rate in the higher levels, so that might prove to be an issue.

I'm not sure exactly what stat increases I should go for each character. That's why Auto-Level would be such an asset to me. -_-

Alvin benefits from physical and tanky like qualities.

Jude for physical and agility and hp.

Milla is well rounded for everything

Elize and Rowen for intelligence and magic related stats

Leia is well rounded.

chrono01

Alvin benefits from physical and tanky like qualities.

Jude for physical and agility and hp.

Milla is well rounded for everything

Elize and Rowen for intelligence and magic related stats

Leia is well rounded.
Awesome, thanks!

I'll definitely keep this in-mind for my future level-up's. >:)

kayos90

Awesome, thanks!

I'll definitely keep this in-mind for my future level-up's. >:)

If you want to know how I built LLOs then I focused on expansion and skills that would benefit me most along the way while considering what attributes helped the most.

chrono01

If you want to know how I built LLOs then I focused on expansion and skills that would benefit me most along the way while considering what attributes helped the most.
Thanks again!

I'll definitely keep both stat increases as well as specific artes/skills in-mind as I develop my characters. It is re-assuring to know that I can't permanently miss out on anything, but I'd rather not make things more difficult than they need to be!

Aeana

Thanks again!

I'll definitely keep both stat increases as well as specific artes/skills in-mind as I develop my characters. It is re-assuring to know that I can't permanently miss out on anything, but I'd rather not make things more difficult than they need to be!
You won't be making things difficult for yourself no matter what you choose.

I've said it several times in this thread but I seem to be ignored each time: due to the way that the required node moves around with each expansion, you're going to end up getting most things whether you want them or not.

denshuu

Anyone know if there's a way to play as other characters in battle? I want to give Alvin a shot, but when I put Jude on auto and Alvin on semi-auto or manual, I'm not able to control him. He basically just stands completely still in combat and none of my inputs do anything.

Aeana

Anyone know if there's a way to play as other characters in battle? I want to give Alvin a shot, but when I put Jude on auto and Alvin on semi-auto or manual, I'm not able to control him. He basically just stands completely still in combat and none of my inputs do anything.
L1+dpad switches character in battle.

kayos90

I've said it several times in this thread but I seem to be ignored each time: due to the way that the required node moves around with each expansion, you're going to end up getting most things whether you want them or not.

Oh yeah. This is definitely true and it's a common complaint with nearly all of the importers of the game, myself included. However, I think people do want to take advantage of the illusion and if they want help I think it's best to give it in this instance.

You need to put Alvin in slot 1 on the menu, what you're doing is putting played 1 on auto and putting probably player 3 on semi auto

Alvin and the old guy are just comedy gold in this game. They are definitely my favorite characters so far. Elize is pretty cool too. I'm also starting to warm up to Jude a little bit, it wasn't that I didn't like him. It was more of that I didn't understand what his personality was until later game.

Right now I'm currently going to some
swamp or something to get to Ode Jule or something.

kayos90

Alvin and the old guy are just comedy gold in this game. They are definitely my favorite characters so far. Elize is pretty cool too. I'm also starting to warm up to Jude a little bit, it wasn't that I didn't like him. It was more of that I didn't understand what his personality was until later game.

Right now I'm currently going to some
swamp or something to get to Ode Jule or something.

I think you mean
Fennmont.

chrono01

Thanks! So it's the illusion of choice, but not really?

So it seems to be one of those "would you like it now or later" kind of deals. You'll eventually make your way around and get everything anyway, it's only a matter of "when".

Well, I guess that takes some of the guess-work out of it for me! :)

Aeana

Sheesh. Teepo's voice is just not right. The Japanese voice has a strained quality to it that I really liked. The English one just sounds like a kid.

There's high technology everywhere and guns, but everyone uses fucking horses and buggies to get around, or hikes hundreds of miles. This bugged me in Xenoblade too

aravuus

I'm having far more fun playing dress up than I should be. More Tales games need this absurd amount of assessories.

Do you get any at the get-go? I absolutely loved dressing my characters like idiots in Vesperia and Graces F, but if I recall, the accessories were fairly hard to get or you got them very late in the game. Hats, glasses and such make cut scenes tons better lol

Aeana

There's high technology everywhere and guns, but everyone uses fucking horses and buggies to get around, or hikes hundreds of miles. This bugged me in Xenoblade too
The guns and pretty much everything else runs on the power of the spirits. But they lost the ability to do serious heavy lifting with the spirits. This is actually part of the story.

I like Alvin's playstyle a lot. He reminds me of Yuri's fighting style but wielding an axe instead of a sword so it feels heavier.

Out of curiosity, if you control Alvin can you guard break enemies yourself? Or is this more of a link skill that only the AI can use.

I think you mean
Fennmont.

Yup that's it. I always get city names mixed up in this game.

kayos90

Jude uses a computer when he examines that patient at the very beginning, doesn't he?

Not sure exactly what qualifies as "high technology"...

Rieze Maxia is divided into Rashugal and Auj Oule. While Rashugal has technology, it's far from what I would consider advanced. Not only they but it's through the usage of mana iirc. Much of the world is still very developing. Not high technology really.

I like Alvin's playstyle a lot. He reminds me of Yuri's fighting style but wielding an axe instead of a sword so it feels heavier.

Out of curiosity, if you control Alvin can you guard break enemies yourself? Or is this more of a link skill that only the AI can use.

Yup that's it. I always get city names mixed up in this game.

Well... the location you cited wasn't even a city. LOL. It's a nation.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I find it amusing how they reused the port graphics and layout, but each city is very unique looking.

Top Bottom