• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Haha. You didn't believe us when we told you, or what?

I wasn't expecting it to be 100% the same (well, the hues are different though).

Got to play a few hours last night. Anyone know what all difficulty setting changes? I've been playing on hard, but with the amount of HP enemies have and no real incentive to use combos other than mash X (at least so far), I find I'm spending more time just mashing x over and over. Up attacks for juggling might be useful later, but down attacks for sweeps seem bad since you do so much less damage to a downed enemy.

Some other aspects are interesting like the back dash teleport thing, links, and the link combo moves. The dash and links kind of go against each other though because if I want to bait an enemy into attacking so I can swoop in behind them my partner will just smack them and interrupt their attack. Maybe I need to intentionally unlink, teleport, re-link and begin comboing? I didn't think of that until writing this paragraph.

Does Milla have a special mechanic? Jude has teleport behind, Alvin has his sword charge, what does Milla have?

Milla can charge her artes for a different effect. Like her small fire explosion will become a fireball, or something along those lines.

I am curious about the difficulty as well. I'm wondering if there's even a point to playing on Hard.

kewlmyc

Do you get any at the get-go? I absolutely loved dressing my characters like idiots in Vesperia and Graces F, but if I recall, the accessories were fairly hard to get or you got them very late in the game. Hats, glasses and such make cut scenes tons better lol

You get some from sidequest and whatnot.

You won't be making things difficult for yourself no matter what you choose.

I've said it several times in this thread but I seem to be ignored each time: due to the way that the required node moves around with each expansion, you're going to end up getting most things whether you want them or not.

seems so, especially when you start getting more gp per level.

I've never found stats to be too useful in tales games... so in this i just try to find skills that i want, and climb my way to there.

Oh and another question, depending on who you pick at the start with their battle themes only play? Because if possible it's probably best to run Jude the first time but I really would prefer to battle to Daring Sword.

RPGCrazied

Oh yay, another confusing Tales of dungeon. The fort of already forgot the name, lol.
Right after Millia gets kidnapped.

Jude uses a computer when he examines that patient at the very beginning, doesn't he?

Not sure exactly what qualifies as "high technology"...

Graces had firearms and carriages, too.

That was also weird. Asbel's country is clearly stuck in the 1700s, then these Nazis show up from nowhere driving mechs...I was like, da fuk?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sheesh, you guys are right. The audio mixing in this is really weird! Milla doesn't have a lisp; it's the audio production in this that's not very satisfactory. That polish just isn't there. :/

And they made the right choice in making Jude's voice deeper. He doesn't really seem to be ticking me off as much. But then I remember that he does an assortment of things that can add up to make the experience with the character kinda bleh.

The giant, empty fields feel weird too. Is there going to be traditional dungeons in this game? I somehow get the impression that there's not. Enemies are HUGE on the map and it just sort of feels/looks funny running around. The first battle track kind of sucks too. Not that I was expecting much from phoned-in-Motoi at this point. The first major field track is nice though.
There some traditional dungeons in the game, yes. You probably feel that way because even the forest dungeon seems to be similar to the large empty fields with very little to do. I suppose you can argue that the other dungeons are like that in that they're pretty streamlined and they don't have as many puzzle mechanics as other Tales dungeons do. So if you're looking for that aspect of dungeon design, you're not usually going to find it outside of looking for this object to unlock this place, etc. There is one dungeon way later on in the game towards the end that might satisfy your itch somewhat with respect to that sort of dungeon design.

Simply, the giant, empty fields exist in order to give the game a sense of spectacle and scale while plopping down duffel bags and sparklies everywhere as grinding materials. Not much else. They don't serve that much purpose and that's pretty much why I generally dislike them. They do nothing. They exist simply for the sake of existing.

seems so, especially when you start getting more gp per level.

I've never found stats to be too useful in tales games... so in this i just try to find skills that i want, and climb my way to there.
Speed stat basically breaks the game anyway. But you seem to be doing what I did. Find skills/artes that I want and fill up the whole thing anyway.

Oh and another question, depending on who you pick at the start with their battle themes only play?
Yes. Pick Jude, his three battle themes will play throughout the course of the game. Same goes for Milla.

Aeana

Now that I'm playing the game for a third time, I don't even care about the materials on the map. And I know exactly where every Aifread's Treasure is, and which ones are good, so I have been going a lot faster than even last time, which I think was pretty quick overall. But I'm still running out of steam with the game. It's only been a year since last time and I think that just isn't enough time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Now that I'm playing the game for a third time, I don't even care about the materials on the map. And I know exactly where every Aifread's Treasure is, and which ones are good, so I have been going a lot faster than even last time, which I think was pretty quick overall. But I'm still running out of steam with the game. It's only been a year since last time and I think that just isn't enough time.

Aren't you glad they add the dash feature in Xillia 2?

damn this game has a lot of save points

Too bad there isn't a title for finding every single save point.

Have I mentioned Rowen is awesome in battle? Can't believe I ignored him in Xillia 2.

He's awesome. I really like his conductor ability.

The ports are literally the same...

But they sound slightly different!

Sheesh. Teepo's voice is just not right. The Japanese voice has a strained quality to it that I really liked. The English one just sounds like a kid.

Yeah, makes it hard for me to like English Tippo. It just doesn't feel the same.

Haha, I'll probably feel that once I actually start playing someday. Maybe I'll just abuse grade shop bonuses and speedrun through stuff.

Bladenic

Another 10 minute boss. Ugh these bosses suck :( the combination of breaking out of your combos like it's nothing and calling reinforcements all the time is just the worst. Xillia 2's sucked too so I shouldn't be surprised.

Jiraiza

Finally got my CE but I don't feel like opening it up, lol. What to do, what to do.

I should just go play the JPN version and look up subtitles for parts I don't understand on YouTube in English.

Persona7

Banned
I liked Teepo at first but not so much now. Terrible voice.

Finally got my CE but I don't feel like opening it up, lol. What to do, what to do.

I should just go play the JPN version and look up subtitles for parts I don't understand on YouTube in English.

I wasn't going to open mine and instead just play the Limited Edition I bought but I couldn't wait for it to be delivered so I just ripped the CE open.

Shouta

3 times in two years? You're cwazy!

Jinjo

So... after seeing the different DLC costumes the Japan release got I only have one question: When are we getting the Tales cameo costumes? I want that Leon/Dhaos/Kratos goodness. Now.

About 4 hours in, hope it picks up steam soon. I miss the normal overworld. Aside from that it definitely is a Tales game. I like it so far.

So... after seeing the different DLC costumes the Japan release got I only have one question: When are we getting the Tales cameo costumes? I want that Leon/Dhaos/Kratos goodness. Now.

About 4 hours in, hope it picks up steam soon. I miss the normal overworld. Aside from that it definitely is a Tales game. I like it so far.

It started to finally pick up at about 8 hours imo. That's without doing side quests or wasting much time.

Zafir

Sigh, my CE is still tracking in France. Hope it's just not up to date and it has made it to the UK already. If it hasn't it may not come tomorrow. :(

No real idea. Namco has no precedent on their DLC release schedule since for Graces we didn't get costumes till a couple weeks later I believe and now we got two sets right at release.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Another 10 minute boss. Ugh these bosses suck :( the combination of breaking out of your combos like it's nothing and calling reinforcements all the time is just the worst. Xillia 2's sucked too so I shouldn't be surprised.

Still better than FF 13 lol

Sandfox

The fights in this game were taking a really long time so I lowered the difficulty lol. Everything is easy now but it was worth it.

Wow, yeah. I was wondering when the Tales of Boss Wall would happen and damn, that occurred early on. I lucked out and dropped a Chain of Artes with Jude and Milla that almost KO'd it in one flurry thank heavens, because it's constant life drain and bullshit grab attacks were starting to piss me off.

That being said, it seems like it's pointless to link with anyone else if you want to chain arte because Milla/Jude have like 30 and everyone else has 2 or 3 at most. Hell, my Elise still has 1 with Jude somehow...I only really link with Alvin to break guard, then right back to Milla. Sorta waste of a decent system (even though I constantly forget which direction I put all my artes because I apparently am a senile old man).

Still enjoying it, and if Jude gets annoying later, he certainly isn't showing it now. I actually quite like him, especially how he's the one who keeps formulating these plans and shit in bad situations and he doesn't really hem and haw all that much. I don't see much to dislike about him thus far.

But you know who needs to die in a ditch and be wiped out of existence? Fucking Teepo. I have never been more irritated at a voice in an RPG since like...Star Ocean 4. He has the worst voice that has ever existed and the stuff he says is absolutely useless and mind-bogglingly retarded or repetitive. I love his design and was wondering if he'd be sarcastic, or a cool older type to Elize's innocence, or anything but the most irritating part of this game.

Seriously.

That being said, liking the big maps full of random stuff to look for. Miss that in a lot of RPGs.

FSLink

Banned
Well crap that would have been awesome to know lol oh god that makes Jude ridiculous if you can flash guard into a teleport :O !

I only skipped the first few which seemed to be about basic tales mechanics, I watched all the ones about linking and link arts and other new mechanics. Guess I goofed lol

Yeah one thing I liked about this game is that it explained all the normal mechanics in the first tutorial.

Aeana

But you know who needs to die in a ditch and be wiped out of existence? Fucking Teepo. I have never been more irritated at a voice in an RPG since like...Star Ocean 4. He has the worst voice that has ever existed and the stuff he says is absolutely useless and mind-bogglingly retarded or repetitive. I love his design and was wondering if he'd be sarcastic, or a cool older type to Elize's innocence, or anything but the most irritating part of this game.
Sadly, he's just that in Japanese. The way he's translated and his English voice just aren't right.

chrono01

OPEN IT! The 15th Anniversary Tales of Xillia PS3 theme is amazing.

In addition to that, you get a lot of nice bonus items. Even if you're not a fan of PVC figures [although I am] I'm sure you'll like the Milla figure, and the artbook [while small] is at least hardcover with decent-quality pages. The CD actually comes in a case *gasp!*, although the track listing could be more in-depth.

In my opinion, you have the Collector's Edition, you might as well open up and enjoy it [as well as the game]. You'll get more worth out of it that way than simply sitting untouched. At least, that's my view on things. >:)

Thoraxes

Man,
having my main healer forcibly removed from my party
is like my biggest pet-peeve in gaming.

I think i'm just gonna turn this from hard to easy for it so I can carry on.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
The only tales game I played is vesperia, is xilia that good?

Eusis

I was thinking more along the line of thread derailment. It's become a meme at this point. It's fine to dislike XIII but discuss it in an appropriate thread.
I think there's times when it's relevant though, especially as that arguably should've been the tentpole JRPG of the generation, rather than being a cautionary tale to the rest of the genre's developers, if not the industry on a whole.

That DID seem to be sort of a random way to bring it up though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was afraid that English Teepo wouldn't be as good as Japanese Tipo. I really liked that quality to his voice. Really made the character for me.

Is the pirate guy's treasure and devil arms easily missable?

Is sword dancer in this?
No and no. No Sword Dancer.

You can go back and fight the Fell Arms bosses whenever you please. Aifread's treasures aren't missable, either.

What should the ban message be? "You're not allowed to dislike FF13"?

You know what they mean. Drive-by one-liners turning into 30-page derails of the same five posters declaring how they want to have hate-sex with Toriyama, how Perfo should go commit suicide, and how Kitase and Ito and various other Japanese names that aren't Toriyama make flawless, perfect games.

edit: Also, chalk me up for the anti-Teepo squad too. Not sure what they were trying to do with the voice...it needs modulation or something.

Top Bottom