• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Question about shop levels... If you say, level the weapons shop up to level 30... Does that mean the shop will carry weapons suited to level 30-ish characters, or is the shop level non-indicative of the equipment level?
The shop level just dictates what items will be available for sell

Do you guys enjoy grinding as much as I do? I know that sounds odd but I love the Tales battle systems so much I don't mind fighting every single battle to gather material, increase arte usage, and practice all the characters/combos. Just got Rowen any advice on how to use him? He seems like a mage archtype but the last few Tales games have done a better job of melting classes together.

Oh God level-up sphere grids =/
Ah well minor annoyance...
Do you guys enjoy grinding as much as I do? I know that sounds odd but I love the Tales battle systems so much I don't mind fighting every single battle to gather material, increase arte usage, and practice all the characters/combos. Just got Rowen any advice on how to use him? He seems like a mage archtype but the last few Tales games have done a better job of melting classes together.
Tales grinding is one of the better grinding, especially given the option of auto-battle. But the max level of 255 for most of the series is OTT XD

Karol's good in TOV though. >_> Especially if you level up the Stamp skills. (Nice Aid Smash and such)

If your controlling him he's really good, but if you leave it up to the AI he isn't that good. I mostly catch the AI doing weird moves like his bag smash hit that doesn't have a good reach, or Bug Breath on some non bug enemies. I know you can turn off those artes, but it was still a hassle to have him as an AI controlled partner. If I'm controlling him, I can do all kinds of combos and he's really hard hitting.

The only good thing about the Karol AI was that it always healed others, and it always healed status affects. That was about it.

I haven't been watching the AI controlled partners in this game that much, but I think almost everyone is decent as the AI. Except when there linked because they try to run around enemies to attack, and it doesn't work out all the time.

chrono01

OH GOD YES!

I'm a sick fellow, so I enjoy grinding in all RPG's. However, it's especially enjoyable in Tales of... games due to the battle system. I'm always over-leveled at the end, but at least I have fun doing so!

aravuus

Grinding fucking rocks dude! No seriously, I fight pretty much every single enemy I run into unless they're some super weak ones that give me 20exp when I need 1000 for the next level.

Oh God level-up sphere grids =/
Ah well minor annoyance...

Just auto-level every time and pretend it's not there. You should end up fine. I personally love the system very very much.

Just auto-level every time and pretend it's not there. You should end up fine. I personally love the system very very much.
Oh did not realise thanks, tbf my dislike of these system is based on I like named characters to have their own stats progression. If it was a player created character/blank slate class character I don't really mind.

Oh did not realise thanks, tbf my dislike of these system is based on I like named characters to have their own stats progression. If it was a player created character/blank slate class character I don't really mind.

Each character his or her own unique board so it's not like FFXII's board where you could make everyone exactly the same.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I really regret putting this game down originally... it really picked up after chapter 1 and I can't seem to put it down for long.

Jiraiza

I have a thing for grinding myself although not so much recently. Tales isn't all that grindy when you play games like Phantasy Star Online 2 and stuff. Tales just makes it a lot more fun with the battle system. That and potential skits that may come up after grinding for so long.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That boss in the Bermia Gorge area
Nameless Anomaly
was hoooooooorrible. Wow.

Haven't had issues in the game until then but that boss just kept wiping my party out of nowhere and it seemed like I could barely hurt or put a stop to it moving around even using earth based artes. I shamelessly went down to easy and proceeded to kill it in a single link combo chain, lol.

I did mess around with auto item setups but for some reason nobody would ever use them like I set despite it being active.

Bladenic

I always end up grinding in Tales but it's always a side effect of me just fighting a lot of battles because they're so damn fun. Not many RPGs have that effect on me. People can trash the series all they want but at the end of the day it's the most fun RPG series to play, in my opinion of course.

Grinding in this game is fun and easy because you can pop a +30, 60, or even 100% EXP increase item then fight a 3 way link and really rake in EXP. Food effects work on bosses too, pretty sure.

Anyway, seen all the mystic artes. They're honestly a bit weaker than most Tales games, even the ones like Vesperia 360 that only had one per character. Ranking them for me would be:

Milla (Except for the awkwardness at the end) > Alvin > Kind of a three way tie for Jude, Leia, and Rowen > Elize

Elize's the only one that's pretty meh. I like their names too, though Expendable Pride > Terminus

suzu

I just started the game for a bit today, and finished the first little dungeon.

I wish I didn't read that post about the lisp thing (although it isn't really that bad). lol

Trying to juggle SMT IV and Xillia at the same time. Ahhhh--

Negator

I'm at 80%-ish skits and sub-events before entering what I believe to be the final dungeon.

I hope I'm not missing too much for the trophies.

I do like grinding as long as the exp in a given area is decent. Otherwise it can be the most monotonous thing ever.

I just started the game for a bit today, and finished the first little dungeon.

I wish I didn't read that post about the lisp thing (although it isn't really that bad). lol

Trying to juggle SMT IV and Xillia at the same time. Ahhhh--

I read nothing on the lisp but can hear it XD, and is it me or the audio feels slighty badly recorded, feels like some compression problems or something =/
Just dropping in to say I dislike Milla's default hair in game. I just don't like the way it looks when running around.

That and I understand why they don't release all the dlc at once, I am kind of sad they don't. I'll be done with this by the time it is out, guess it'll save me money though.

The hairs like it's using antigravity hair gel XD, and as for the DLCs I don't get why they don't release some of them as batch and cheaper =/ Seriously 12 costume DLCs nearing £29 =S

Hubb

Just dropping in to say I dislike Milla's default hair in game. I just don't like the way it looks when running around.

That and I understand why they don't release all the dlc at once, I am kind of sad they don't. I'll be done with this by the time it is out, guess it'll save me money though.

Rhapsody

Banned

I feel like they probably get more sales out of doing it this way. Some people that want to buy costumes will have some they plan on getting that'll come out way later, so those people might get restless and buy some of what's currently available in the mean time when they wouldn't have bought those if all the choices were out.

Of course, this can definitely backfire and get people to not care for DLC if it takes too long.

Aspiring

I have yet to open my PAL Millia Maxwell edition, and before I do, do we know if there was 10,000 made or if that was per region or how many were made? If I know its going to be a collectable, I will buy a regular edition.

Hubb

Of course, this can definitely backfire and get people to not care for DLC if it takes too long.

That's where I am. I haven't bought anything, but I am kind of interested in what other packs are coming over. There are only 1-3 that I would actually buy (specially because they carry over to Xillia 2), but If I am done with the game before they are out I wont be buying them.

yami4ct

As someone who's first tales game was Graces F and really enjoyed it for the battle system, skits, and Pascal, it's fair to assume I should just go ahead and buy this, right? Seems like this one has even better battles with a less terrible story from what I'm seeing.

What should I be doing with the Jet Black Feathers? Keep or trade em' for something in particular?

Get 100 of them. When you reach a town where they talk about efreet tea cups in the beginning there is a guy in the beginning tehre who will take your feathers.

IF you have 100 he will give you the Artes Ball which lets you set up to 16 arts.

Hellix

Get 100 of them. When you reach a town where they talk about efreet tea cups in the beginning there is a guy in the beginning tehre who will take your feathers.

IF you have 100 he will give you the Artes Ball which lets you set up to 16 arts.

Yeah, I found him but I only had 60 at the time. Can I still go back later to get that when I get 100? I didn't know really what all that stuff he was trying to trade me, and I didn't want to waste them.

Yeah, I found him but I only had 60 at the time. Can I still go back later to get that when I get 100? I didn't know really what all that stuff he was trying to trade me, and I didn't want to waste them.

Get 40 more from random bags and glowy spots and go back to him. I don't know if that area gets cut off later on or not so I'd recommend doing it soon.

The Artes Ball is really convenient. I can't recommend moving on without it.

Anyone else laugh when
the mayor died and avin just shoots the sniper with his pistol like it was nothing?

I'm starting to get why he's a favorite around here ;)

They really should figure out how to get damaged models into their engine though, cheapass tales folks.

So I just beat
those three henchmen of Gaius.
I gotta say, I'm having a lot more fun with these bosses than I am with Graces' bosses. For one thing, the warning before they strike is more clear, and they can't easily break your guard, allowing me to make a comeback. It took me like 20 minutes to win, but damn it was such a fun 20 minutes that I saved the game in a different file to do the boss fight again if I wanted to.

Clocking in at about 21 hours at this point IIRC. How can I tell which chapter I'm on, and how many chapters are in the game? I'm at the part after
Jude gets swept away.

As someone who's first tales game was Graces F and really enjoyed it for the battle system, skits, and Pascal, it's fair to assume I should just go ahead and buy this, right? Seems like this one has even better battles with a less terrible story from what I'm seeing.

You really should. This game is ten times better than Graces in terms of story and characters. I'm also finding the battle system to be a lot of fun as well.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So I just beat
those three henchmen of Gaius.
I gotta say, I'm having a lot more fun with these bosses than I am with Graces' bosses. For one thing, the warning before they strike is more clear, and they can't easily break your guard, allowing me to make a comeback. It took me like 20 minutes to win, but damn it was such a fun 20 minutes that I saved the game in a different file to do the boss fight again if I wanted to.

Clocking in at about 21 hours at this point IIRC. How can I tell which chapter I'm on, and how many chapters are in the game? I'm at the part after
Jude gets swept away.

You really should. This game is ten times better than Graces in terms of story and characters. I'm also finding the battle system to be a lot of fun as well.

You're on 3 now iirc.

Reveirg

Any tips to pull off Elongating Staffs with Leia?

Every other special ability is easy to get to 150 for their respective trophies but that one is a pain for some reason :/.

TraBuch

Banned
Just defeated
Nachtigal
, how far in am I? Don't wanna go too far before I start collecting fell weapons and stuff.

Holmes

I'm at 80%-ish skits and sub-events before entering what I believe to be the final dungeon.

Have you been using link artes a lot? Chain link artes? Eating food? Having the AI use auto-item? Picking up as much loot as possible/black feathers?

With the exception for sidequests, if you are planning on doing the other story, you'll probably be able to get all the trophies stuff since your progress on those will carry over.

Your viewed skits will carry over too but you'll have to spend the 20 minutes of watching them all again.

Any tips to pull off Elongating Staffs with Leia?

Every other special ability is easy to get to 150 for their respective trophies but that one is a pain for some reason :/.

Don't know the English name, but she'll learn a skill that'll allow her to extend her staff with Flash Guard as well. You can easily gain counts for that by spamming guard against multi-hit attacks and such.

Really liking this game.

Also, contrary to...some people (? I dunno, I just remember a couple posts, dunno if it's general sentiment) I actually quite like Jude and Milla. I apparently have not reached the place where they become annoying or whatever. Also quite like Leila, which is odd since I normally hate childhood friend tropes. Maybe because she's...like the best character in battle. Or cause she's the thief in the game, since I never take the thief out of my party in any RPG.

Must say, I like the majority of the cast way more than Graces.

Also, I really like
how Jude and his father are so antagonistic towards each other. I really really enjoy in Eastern media when a family situation is shit and that's just how it is, there's no "Oh man, we now understand each other and hug and love" and it's just...nope, he's kind of a shit father. It doesn't need a story arc, it's just a characteristic.

chrono01

Well I think I'm done for the night. Two nights in a row that I ended up playing past 12PM. That rarely happens to me these days.

I think it's pretty clear to see that I'm having a great time with Tales of Xillia. :)

Top Bottom