• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

What does the # of stars next to an Arte mean? It seems like you get 1 star for every 100 uses. Does it make the Arte more powerful?

Dug this up from the thread:
Additionally, I should post this too!

With respect to arte usage:

100 uses - Silver star - +3% crit chance
200 uses - 2 Silver stars - +5% power for it
400 uses - 4 Silver stars - +20% link gauge increase
1000 uses - Gold star - 2/3 TP consumption
2000 uses - 2 Gold Stars - +20% power increase
4000 uses - 3 Gold stars - May not use AC (25% chance) when linked with someone
9999 uses - Mastered - 50% chance that the arte won't consume AC when linked.

There's also additional hits, more healing, an additional move, ability to use in mid-air or knockdown or something that gets added to each arte after 200 or 400 uses that's special to each one.

If you really want to know the gritty details, Aselia Wiki has it all up.

Guys is there a good english sub event guide out there? I think I want to go for the plat in this game (something I don't usually do) but Tales games are always the worst for missable stuff.

Bladenic

I don't want to quote that huge black post but Dark Schala can you elaborate on Leia/Rowen? It's actually not obvious to me haha

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't want to quote that huge black post but Dark Schala can you elaborate on Leia/Rowen? It's actually not obvious to me haha

One of their major character fault is that they don't lead but rather follow. For instance Leia follows Jude and for Rowen it's
failing to take up the reigns on ruling Rashugal and guiding it when it needed him most.
While this isn't the center point for these two it's important to note that Alvin and Elize struggle with self-identity and loneliness, Milla and Jude go through resolve and strong willpower, Leia and Rowen go through individuality and acceptance of reality.

All characters go through the idea of figuring out what their own reasons, goals, and beliefs are by the end of the game.

Bladenic

One of their major character fault is that they don't lead but rather follow. For instance Leia follows Jude and for Rowen it's
failing to take up the reigns on ruling Rashugal and guiding it when it needed him most.
While this isn't the center point for these two it's important to note that Alvin and Elize struggle with self-identity and loneliness, Milla and Jude go through resolve and strong willpower, Leia and Rowen go through individuality and acceptance of reality.

All characters go through the idea of figuring out what their own reasons, goals, and beliefs are by the end of the game.

That's what I was figuring but thanks. Although to be honest I'm a bit disappointed in Leia's development.

Hellix

Aww come ON, the longest anime FMV in the game,
and half of it is completely wasted on idealistic blabbering and standing around? YOU GUYS!!! Though I really liked it after that hand-holding scene, I love these kind of endings where you get to briefly hear what the characters are doing with their lives now. Gives the story and characters this kind of... continuity maybe, you know, that the story was only a small part of their long lives.

So yeah! Finished the game. What a fucking great game, goddamn. Loved every second of it. To do a quick list of the cons, I'd say the worst were the lack of overworld/boring fields, the shop system, the lack of synthesis and all kinds of other sub-systems, the rushed fourth chapter and the bullshit combo-breaking bosses. There were other flaws too, but they aren't worth mentioning.

Other than that, it was all golden. Loved the story overall, most of the characters were absolutely fantastic (hell yea Alvin!) and battling was just a ton of fun.

On my top Tales games list, I'd say it either shares the first spot with Vesperia or is a very, very close second. It's a hard decision. Nonetheless, Vesperia and Xillia are pretty much the best JRPGs I've played on home consoles this gen.

But this being a long RPG, I just can't bring myself to play it again for another year at least. So no Milla's side of the story me for now. Hope I'm not missing anything vital.

Just finished it as well (lv 65 at 36 hours), and you pretty much summed up my thoughts. It was my first Tales game, and I really enjoyed it. The story and the characters were both interesting and fun. I'm gonna need a good break before I start Milla's side, since I been plowing through this game for the past few days.

For NG+, what are the recommended things that I should carry over? I think I only have a bit over 3000 Grade Points.

Just finished it as well (lv 65 at 36 hours), and you pretty much summed up my thoughts. It was my first Tales game, and I really enjoyed it. The story and the characters were both interesting and fun. I'm gonna need a good break before I start Milla's side, since I been plowing through this game for the past few days.

For NG+, what are the recommended things that I should carry over? I think I only have a bit over 3000 Grade Points.

Depends on how much you want to trivialize your second playthrough.

It's cheaper to get the multiplier options than actually carrying over of your levels, store levels, items, etc.

So you can get x2 gald, x2 item drops, x2 material worth, x2 (or x5 or x10) exp.

Oh, getting 99 item limits is a great thing to get too. As well as artes usage count.

Carrying over attachments and special items are helpful. It's costly (at 2000 grade) but carrying skill related items means you can actually use the skill books you get at the end of the game.

If you want to make battles over in a flash, double damage, triple critical rates and double overlimit works as well. Carrying over the fell arms makes everything easy.

In reality, just get whatever you can. It all depends on how easy and quickly you want the second playthrough to be.

MilkBeard

Holy shit SPOILER (seriously don't read if you haven't gotten to fort Gandala yet)
Lord Cline was shot through the heart. Then Alvin turned around and one shotted the assasin. That was sick!

I never felt any sort of hatred towards the cast in Abyss. I found Jade to be hilarious with his cunning nature. The rest of the characters were kind of boring though but nothing really hate-worthy.

Young Magus

All I know is that she dislikes the Abyss cast. I do too. Anise is the worst Tales character ever, probably my least liked in any RPG.

I wanna read the post(s), giving that Dark Schala goes into deep analysis when it come to this stuff. It will be a good read to say the least.

I never felt any sort of hatred towards the cast in Abyss. I found Jade to be hilarious with his cunning nature. The rest of the characters were kind of boring though but nothing really hate-worthy.

Hey at least Guy was somewhat decent. I agree about Jade. The Hate is mostly directed at the actions of the party when it comes to key events and the dealing of the MC as a whole. For what its worth I actually like Luke a bit.

aravuus

Guy and Jade were fantastic iirc

But yeah, maybe if I played the game now, my opinion of it would get more negative. My tolerance for idiotic and/or whiny and/or naive characters has been steadily going down for the past few years.

Depends on how much you want to trivialize your second playthrough.

It's cheaper to get the multiplier options than actually carrying over of your levels, store levels, items, etc.

So you can get x2 gald, x2 item drops, x2 material worth, x2 (or x5 or x10) exp.

Oh, getting 99 item limits is a great thing to get too. As well as artes usage count.

Carrying over attachments and special items are helpful. It's costly (at 2000 grade) but carrying skill related items means you can actually use the skill books you get at the end of the game.

If you want to make battles over in a flash, double damage, triple critical rates and double overlimit works as well. Carrying over the fell arms makes everything easy.

In reality, just get whatever you can. It all depends on how easy and quickly you want the second playthrough to be.

Also skits if you're aiming for platinum trophy

Hey at least Guy was somewhat decent. I agree about Jade. The Hate is mostly directed at the actions of the party when it comes to key events and the dealing of the MC as a whole. For what its worth I actually like Luke a bit

I think they're referring to that one key event in Abyss where
Van tricks the party into sinking an entire city and they all blame Luke. I don't remember any other bad things the party did to the MC for the rest of the game.

Also skits if you're aiming for platinum trophy

Buying skits is only needed if you are planning to view them all, get the trophy and do it all over again.

The game carries over all the skits you have already seen, the only caveat is that you need to view them all again, through the library to actually have them count plus whatever new skits you find in your new playthrough.

Since there are route exclusive skits for both sides, you can probably meet the required amount by doing both routes normally.

I generally hate being healer, and I just know there will be parts of the game either without Jude or without any healers except Jude, so I made it a point to learn to play as Milla. As someone who hates spellcasters, she's actually pretty fun to play as.
Haven't really messed with milla because I plan to mostly use her on the second play through.

She does seem potentially broken with how she has access to most elemental attacks fairly early.

Proven

I called Tales of the Abyss, "Tales of the Assholes" until I got into Act 2. Every single character was an ass at some point or in some way, even Jade with his smug "I'm too good for this party" nature.

I called Tales of the Abyss, "Tales of the Assholes" until I got into Act 2. Every single character was an ass at some point or in some way, even Jade with his smug "I'm too good for this party" nature.
Kinda felt bad for the protag ( forget his name lol).

The lore of that game was totally retarded and needlessly overcomplicated.

RPGCrazied

Couple questions. I'm near the end, I can now
switch between worlds
. About side quests, a lot of them that I have say to be continued and I don't know how to make them go further. Like the fort gondala one. I have to give some letter to a guy that is at the west gate, but no guy is in sight. Is that a missable quest? And how do you do the L1 shortcut artes? Was it an item I accidentally sold? Is it a skill to equip? Cause when I try and do them they never work.

Bladenic

I'm like, totally alone, but I always hated Jade. I hated his constant overbearing smug snarkness, his constant withholding of information and thoughts which lead to many of the bad things in the game happening. Like it would always be "I have a theory but I'm not sharing. Oops now that theory turned out true and bad things happened. Nobody gonna call me out? Alright cool." Fuck off.

And as far as Tales casters go, he sucks :p

Young Magus

What isn't there to dislike about that cast? Most of them are self-righteous, jerkbags!

*highfive*

The only ones that are decent are Luke and to a certain extent Guy. Even then they have a share of flaws.

I think they're referring to that one key event in Abyss where
Van tricks the party into sinking an entire city and they all blame Luke. I don't remember any other bad things the party did to the MC for the rest of the game.

For me its a bit more then that,
even after the events that transpired and learn about what exactly he is they are still cold and treat Luke in a disrespectful manner

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oooh! Now I know what Bazongas are :p!

Quick question... if I donate to one shop, does it apply to ALL shops or only that one?

Couple questions. I'm near the end, I can now
switch between worlds
. About side quests, a lot of them that I have say to be continued and I don't know how to make them go further. Like the fort gondala one. I have to give some letter to a guy that is at the west gate, but no guy is in sight. Is that a missable quest? And how do you do the L1 shortcut artes? Was it an item I accidentally sold? Is it a skill to equip? Cause when I try and do them they never work.

For the letter one, are you at the right gate? :p

There are two gates and maybe one of them you can't fast travel to.

Voror

Largely agreed, though I'd say Ion and perhaps Guy would be the exceptions there. Luke I can sort of cut slack on to a degree given how his life was, though he's still incredibly annoying in the first part.

RPGCrazied

For the letter one, are you at the right gate? :p

There are two gates and maybe one of them you can't fast travel to.

Well, when I get into the dungeon and look at the map the west gate won't open. What zone connects to that map? And holy hell were those golems hard.

Do you know the answer to my other questions?

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Just finished the final battle on Hard for first playthrough, took me 30 minutes......NO boss should have the ability to heal themselves to that degree and waaaaaay too much MA spamming.

SaintZ

Oh we haven't talked about the game.

How far are you? Do you like it? Who are your faves? Have you seen the mystic artes? What are your faves there?
I returned to Fenmont
and beat Agria last night.
I haven't seen any Mystic Artes yeT.

I like everyone but Rowen is so slow (when I try to use him) and they kill him too easily lol. His tuning ability is cool tho. And yes, Leia is devoid of flaws. Truly a legend.

I played the game during the whole weekend til my head hurt RIP.

You should return to the twitterverse tbh.

RPGCrazied

Gaius and Gilland are the best voices in this game. Need more of them like that. They sound so familiar, Gilland in particular.

Top Bottom