• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

FSLink

Banned
graces f killed all hype i have for this series forever.

won't lie, only reason i preordered this was because someone on gaf had an avatar of milla pouting and i thought it was adorable.

but this is the last time!

well maybe i want that symphonia collection... (for some reason i feel like that's gonna be a busted hd collection somehow).

2qsh61G.jpg
The bottom one for Milla right? (I wish I could find my collection for Xillia 1 skit images and the battle skit images)

I'm... strangely not as ENTHUSIASTIC hyped for this as I was for Graces. Most of the impressions I've read/seen of the JP version dampens my expectations a bit, especially in regards to the battle system. Still going to pick it up, but it feels weird not being excited for a localized Tales game.

I know the plot's supposedly better than the usual Tales fare, but I don't really play Tales games for the plot, so ehhhh

Battle system is TONS of fun, especially with link artes, and it's incredibly fast paced. It's just not as...balanced as Graces is, and the boss battles are still crap.

The bottom one for Milla right? (I wish I could find my collection for Xillia 1 skit images and the battle skit images)

Battle system is TONS of fun, especially with link artes, and it's incredibly fast paced. It's just not as...balanced as Graces is, and the boss battles are still crap.

yep.

do they still reuse monster polygonal models from the ps2 games?

FSLink

Banned
yep.

do they still reuse monster polygonal models from the ps2 games?

Vesperia didn't even do that, they just use the same designs. But yeah, Abyss monsters still are here (and they reuse Giganto Monsters from Vesperia too. /sigh). I still prefer the Eternia/Symphonia set. Eggbears. :3

FSLink

Banned
Well, that eases my concerns a bit, bosses aside.

Yep, I even said in a different topic that I actually find Xillia/Xillia 2's faster pace more fun to play than Graces' battles overall due to the arte variety (Artes Ball...which lets you equip up to 16 artes at the same time, and the party swap mechanic in Xillia 1), even if it's not as strategic or as well thought out. The bosses really do suck though, so that's probably why I think Graces' battles are better overall.

Bladenic

If there's one thing Tales 15 needs, it is to abolish the Abyss monster designs and give us new ones. The series tends to have cool bosses, but the enemy designs used to be kind of split Destiny/Symphonia teams. Now it's been mostly Abyss designs. KILL THEM ALL

FSLink

Banned
If there's one thing Tales 15 needs, it is to abolish the Abyss monster designs and give us new ones. The series tends to have cool bosses, but the enemy designs used to be kind of split Destiny/Symphonia teams. Now it's been mostly Abyss designs. KILL THEM ALL

I cringed when I played Narikiri Dungeon X and some Abyss monsters were there in sprite form.

FSLink

Banned
How should this be pronounced?

Tales of -

-Zilla
-ExZilla
-Zeelea

?

2nd one. But I think if they had a better grasp of the English language (the developers), it'd be the first one, since it's supposed to resemble the English word "zillion".

Also, too bad the English games aren't getting a charm for preorders (I'd rather have them than a statue) so I can try to get Milla. :( Here's my Jude one below:

Also I suppose there's no chance for a Teepo plush here...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember when I was waiting for my game and hoping that I'd get a Jude charm a long time ago.

Now I'm pretty happy that I got the Milla charm instead. Haha.

While I play a lot of JRPGs Tales series is one of those I never got into.

I played Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny(i think?had redhead MC) but that's all.

Would this be good re-entry point?

Sorian

Banned

I played Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny(i think?had redhead MC) but that's all.

Go get Tales of Vesperia. If that doesn't do it for you then none of the new ones will.

FSLink

Banned

You played Eternia, also known as Destiny II in the states.
Either this or the upcoming Symphonia Chronicles (which is a HD port of Symphonia 1 and 2) would be a good entry game. Vesperia and Graces too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd say Xillia, Symphonia, and Vesperia are decent starting points, yes. Many people used Symphonia as a springboard. Others used Vesperia.

I'd love to throw Graces in there, too, but I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea, haha.

watching the videos on the front post... is jude as boring to play as he looks in the video?

seems like a monk... fighter? Enemies don't seem to react much to hits... which is probably why i tend to stay away from melee dudes in tales games.

Rpgmonkey

watching the videos on the front post... is jude as boring to play as he looks in the video?

seems like a monk... fighter? Enemies don't seem to react much to hits... which is probably why i tend to stay away from melee dudes in tales games.

Jude is pretty fun. Can do a little of everything, in addition to rather high speed and power.

Combat in Xillia is kind of "light". Enemies (usually) react to hits, but the animations and sound effects don't give it a lot of impact.

FSLink

Banned

In my opinion, he's one of the best characters to play as in the entire series due to how fast some of his later artes is and his overall speed is ridiculous later on. He has great Link Artes with the rest of the cast, and he's a healer, where you can do some neat stuff like heal yourself while linked up to a party member to heal them too. Works with buffs as well (Coil).

He also has that dodge move where you teleport behind the enemy if you backstep right before an enemy hits you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS11l8OEeeI

Here's an "all artes" combo video of Jude.

Dio

Banned
Japanese speaking friend told me not to buy it because the game's unfinished and lacks a ton of content normally par for the course in a Tales game.

Since Xillia 2 also appears to recycle a lot of content from 1 because they made Xillia 2 instead of a Xillia Director's Cut, is it feasible to just skip the first game and play 2? I'm not made of money and I don't want to buy a bad game.

FSLink

Banned
Japanese speaking friend told me not to buy it because the game's unfinished and lacks a ton of content normally par for the course in a Tales game.

Since Xillia 2 also appears to recycle a lot of content from 1 because they made Xillia 2 instead of a Xillia Director's Cut, is it feasible to just skip the first game and play 2? I'm not made of money and I don't want to buy a bad game.

It's not a bad game, but it reuses some assets within the game itself, like all ports looking identical, and end-game content is really lacking, along with the final dungeon feeling "rushed". Storywise you'd get much more out of Xillia 2 after beating Xillia, and Xillia 2 isn't expected to come out until late next year in English.

Aspiring

oh wow totally forgot I had this game on pre order. Have the Millia Maxwell edition and cant wait! hope its as good as Vesperia. That's all I ask.

Dio

Banned
It's not a bad game, but it reuses some assets within the game itself, like all ports looking identical, and end-game content is really lacking, along with the final dungeon feeling "rushed". Storywise you'd get much more out of Xillia 2 after beating Xillia, and Xillia 2 isn't expected to come out until late next year in English.

Well, he told me I'd enjoy Xillia 2 way more if I actually DIDN'T play Xillia 1 because of stuff like 90 percent of the fields and 'stages' where you fight are recycled from the first game. I suppose I'll just look up a synopsis or an LP or something.

kiryogi

Banned
graces f killed all hype i have for this series forever.

won't lie, only reason i preordered this was because someone on gaf had an avatar of milla pouting and i thought it was adorable.

but this is the last time!

well maybe i want that symphonia collection... (for some reason i feel like that's gonna be a busted hd collection somehow).

Who me?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The game isn't unfinished at all. It just ends abruptly, but even then all of the loose ends are tied up, and the game is competently made.

See, when I think "unfinished game", I think something like Maka Maka, Sonic 06, or Hoshi wo Miru Hito or something. Stuff that's released in beta state or something.

matmanx1

With this one, Dragon's Crown and Hatsune Miku Project Diva f all in dropping in August my wallet is going to be hurting. Still, I almost always find Tales games to be really meaty and satisfying to play over many hours and days so I am very much looking forward to Xillia and to having it in a proper Collector's Edition.

Rpgmonkey

Wow, that is quite a bit less. Long, do you mean like 15 minute skits or something?

The Long Skits are traditional Tales skits.

It also has short skits and battle skits, where you'll get some dialogue while traveling in fields/dungeons/towns, or during a battle.

Should also note that Vesperia has around 500, for the sake of a more broad comparison. But that game has an excess of like, everything. :p

Dio

Banned
The game isn't unfinished at all. It just ends abruptly, but even then all of the loose ends are tied up, and the game is competently made.

See, when I think "unfinished game", I think something like Maka Maka, Sonic 06, or Hoshi wo Miru Hito or something. Stuff that's released in beta state or something.

Given that they literally rushed the game to meet a release date, I would say it's 'unfinished'. Well, maybe not in the sense you're talking about, but Baba did say that they cut a shitload of content out of the game and then instead created the second game out of it.

I feel so conflicted, the game looks so good but everyone I know is telling me to just play the second game instead. I don't have the money to buy both, goddamn, they are doing a great job at making the game look great in promo material though.

I don't want to force myself to have fun or justify my purchase or whatever, and since 'Xillia 2 is what 1 should have been' then I might as well just get that.

RPGCrazied

There's long skits (traditional ones):

Short skits, which are little character conversations while you're traversing in town:

And the in-battle skits where they can sometimes be chatting away at the enemy or with each other.

The Long Skits are traditional Tales skits.

It also has short skits and battle skits, where you'll get some dialogue while traveling in fields/dungeons/towns, or during a battle.

Should also note that Vesperia has around 500. But that game has an excess of like, everything. :p

Interesting! That's new, battle skits. Can you turn off the little portrait while in towns in dungeons?

RangerBAD

I feel this OT title should have been the Dragon Crown's OT title. lol I'm getting Xillia with Dragon's Crown, so I'll be playing it after that.

Eusis

This sounds closer to realizing they have to get it out at X time and spent enough time on the game already, so wrap it up and recycle the work for another game to be made quicker, versus running out of time/money and literally just realizing whatever they have.

FSLink

Banned
Given that they literally rushed the game to meet a release date, I would say it's 'unfinished'. Well, maybe not in the sense you're talking about, but Baba did say that they cut a shitload of content out of the game and then instead created the second game out of it.

I feel so conflicted, the game looks so good but everyone I know is telling me to just play the second game instead. I don't have the money to buy both, goddamn, they are doing a great job at making the game look great in promo material though.

I don't want to force myself to have fun or justify my purchase or whatever, and since 'Xillia 2 is what 1 should have been' then I might as well just get that.

Almost every single Tales game has cut content...:p Just that instead of a Director's Cut or being forever gone, we got a sequel.
Well if you only have money for one, go with Xillia 2 anyway because it's probably one of the best in the series, especially story wise.

FSLink

Banned
hope to see an unboxing of the Limited Edition.
wonder what's inside the Character Profile booklet

Already posted earlier:
Unboxing of Collector's Edition is up on IGN (found by foobary81 from Cheap Arse Gaffer thread).

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/07/29/unboxing-tales-of-xillias-special-edition

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1N1q4_DC1Y

Maybe it's actually really the same as in Day 1. I guess size is definitely exactly the same. In any case it's laughable.

At least the OST selection says "Music CD", so hopefully that's an actual CD-DA and not a CD-ROM with WAVE files (again).

Does the story actually make sense in Xillia? I found the story in Vesperia to be totally nonsensical (I did only get 10 hours in, but yeah).

Top Bottom