• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly I fear: They better don't. As soon as the PS3 install base in Japan becomes inactive the console market may as well be dead as I just can't see the still active PS3 players upgrading to PS4 all of the sudden.

Console generations don't 'die off' unless they're supplanted by something new.

The fact that handhelds and mobile have a stronger foothold and market share in Japan (and Korea) honestly speaks more about lifestyle (commuting, etc) rather than taste in games. Granted, I'm not saying Japan doesn't have a different taste to begin with (moe, etc) but I think the PS3->PS4 transition is a little stunted by that, all else being equal.

That being said though, like I said PS3 isn't going to 'die' in Japan for no reason. I'm pretty sure many mid-tier developers are still going to pump out games for both it and Vita, and I'm not even talking about the VN crowd.

That's why I said the transition is going to be interesting to watch. Aside from the projects with $$$ and ambition to throw around (which, non-coincidentally, are also banking on the international fanbase, e.g. MGS and FF/KH) and can 'deal' with a lagging domestic market, I'm foreseeing a lot of PS3/PS4 cross-releases announced in the next two, maybe even three or four years.

Heck, there's historical precedent for that, especially with Bandai Namco itself. Even on the handheld front, GE2 released both on PSP and PSV, and the PSV version had enough going for it to merit the cross-generation straddle.

Vesperia sold 200k on a platform wich had at the time of the release an install base of 600k. They can push the next game as the biggest exclusive on PS4 (if FFXV doesn't release before :lol) with bundles and it can end up with pretty decent sales, I think. It depends whenever the game releases, but it's perfectly possible to reach over 400k sales with an install base of 2 millions.

Yeah, the reverse is also plausible. When there's a vacuum for relevant content the rate of adoption for titles near the top of the pile are pretty damn high.

3Kaze

And what do you expect Tales to sell on an install base of around one million currently?

Vesperia sold 200k on a platform wich had at the time of the release an install base of 600k. They can push the next game as the biggest exclusive on PS4 (if FFXV doesn't release before :lol) with bundles and it can end up with pretty decent sales, I think. It depends whenever the game releases, but it's perfectly possible to reach over 400k sales with an install base of 2 millions.

Datschge

I'd be careful to use Vesperia 360's legs as an example what Tales could do on a system with low install base, usually Tales releases have some of the worst legs in the industry (and BN never did anything against that, on the opposite considering all the pre-order exclusives). Vesperia sold around 100k first week on Xbox 360, and the big question is how much of that was due to favorable circumstances (Xbox 360 being fairly well supported with JRPGs and having a really dedicated if small customer base thorough its life).

Console generations don't 'die off' unless they're supplanted by something new.
They are being replaced by portables since the better part of a decade now. Please look at the console hardware sales and install base trajectory, it's a massive downward slope.

I'll just give my impression of Sorey. Short and sweet one.
He's the typical Tales hero... but done right this time.

He's got a sense of humor and got that super bros relationship with Mikleo (very heartwarming), he's naive but not dumb. He's also, of course, all about following his moral code and enjoys helping people.
All around enjoyable character but still kind of 'bland'. Written very "safe" but as implied, nothing really to complain about.

So he's He-Estelle? I can rock with that.

Watching MasterLL's stream he instantly moved the camera pretty far away. <3 <3 <3
Camera movements funky in tight places indeed, but the view is fantastic.

And what do you expect Tales to sell on an install base of around one million currently?

MasterLL is good, smart peeps.

But, that rock and a hard place...Japan is lukewarm for PS4, PS3 everywhere is on borrowed time, and let's just say PC and Tales won't be allowed to be the fit it could be, (and that's discounting Japan's relative disinterest in large-scale PC gaming.

Innolis

I haven't played a tales games since Graces F, have they improved their characters / story lately? Or they're still a collection of anime tropes?

The combat system looks interesting on this one, but I'm not sure I can stomach another 50 hours of anime cliche...

Falk

that puzzling face
By the way, the Go Shiina music is fantastic, and the Motoi Sakuraba music is Motoi Sakuraba music.

Still can't believe we're getting TWO soundtracks with music from Go Shiina in the space of a few months.

granted they sound pretty similar but that's besides the point

I haven't played a tales games since Graces F, have they improved their characters / story lately? Or they're still a collection of anime tropes?

I think the year Tales stops subsisting on anime tropes is the year Tales loses its way.

Mifec

My biggest fear is that I'll like the import so much that it makes me open my closed vesperia and play it without the trans patch...

raven777

the AA problem seems a lot worse than I imagined going by the stream...

I heard people complaining about it as well....looks a lot worse than Xillia (AA wise)

RangerBAD

wait.. this game was actually confirmed for the west for 2015?

They're aiming for a six month localization even.

Some people are saying a PS4 version would fix a lot of things, and it probably would, but I think the camera is more a design issue. The only way I can think of that would solve it is by making the wall see through in battle. ToZ has the same problem character action games have.

Sakura

I really really hate this Lailah chick. I hope she is not the main heroine because I like Alisha way more.

Holmes

My biggest fear is that I'll like the import so much that it makes me open my closed vesperia and play it without the trans patch...
I played and platinumed Vesperia because I was tired of waiting. Use the SA playthrough for the script and Kouli's sidequest guide. Do it!

Mifec

I played and platinumed Vesperia because I was tired of waiting. Use the SA playthrough for the script and Kouli's sidequest guide. Do it!

If they don't trans it by summer I will, also I'm in the UK atm so I can't cave in haha

I can wait since I finished it 3 times on xbox.

I'll be streaming more scrubby play later tonight if anyone wants to tune in. Still super early in the game and only just got Lailah as a character.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, what the crap is this thing where to register a pre-order code you now have to make a stupid Bandai account to get the PSN code.

Why do they make games so many freaking time wasting steps.

Soulkay

Neo Member
Okay so the games is already out ?!
I might import it and use that new Google Trad app to understand the game (I wish they would've made that before).

I can't wait wait for it to be localized and frankly I can't stand non Japanese voice in my JRPGs.

Watched stream since yesterday, i think Rose is great...

Then i go 2ch to see the discussion...the fuck? Alisha
is gone forever if you make a wrong choice, even you make a right choice, she just temporarily back to the party

One day late, but my limited edition was announced shipped a few hours ago. As always, expecting it in two weeks now.

The waiting game begins.

LuuKyK

Watched stream since yesterday, i think Rose is great...

Then i go 2ch to see the discussion...the fuck? Alisha
is gone forever if you make a wrong choice, even you make a right choice, she just temporarily back to the party

Thats why I will always call her Flynnsha from now on. Lol

Top Bottom