• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Aeana

I know everybody's already streaming or watching streams of this game, but I'll probably have the stream running once I start, too. Just have to do a couple of things first, I'll probably get started in 30-40 minutes.

I'm more hyped for this than both Xilla 1 and 2.

I'm kind of weird. When this game was announced I literally had no interest in it at all. I was basically 'lol dragonz' and moved on. For some reason now I'm actually interested in it quite a lot. The odd story spoilers and what little I know about the characters, and the gameplay mechanics have increased my interest a lot. We'll see if my interest holds until the EU release, though.

Xillia 2 is also odd in that I was actually hyped for it from early on and then completely lost interest and ended up skipping it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Don't do it.

Don't trick yourself into replaying PS3 Graces just for the future arc.

I did it last month and I totally regret it. Felt like I actually wasted the time put into the playtrough.

Aeana

Don't do it.

Don't trick yourself into replaying PS3 Graces just for the future arc.

I did it last month and I totally regret it. Felt like I actually wasted the time put into the playtrough.

I'll do it eventually. It wouldn't be a waste of time regardless, since I love the game and playing it is its own reward. I just haven't felt like playing it again just yet.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh who am I kidding I got the plat this time through so the playthrough wasn't wasted at all

!!

edit:
Oh who am I kidding I got the plat this time through so the playthrough wasn't wasted at all

!!

What's the circle dance called you're doing right now? =D

edit2:
What's the circle dance called you're doing right now? =D

it's finally happened

i've finally snapped and started talking to myself via post edits

tales has broken me

I think i've abandonned the idea to fight against dlc when xp dlc arrived in the tales of franchise.

Skit dlc is really stupid however. Thankfully we can youtube this stuff later....

I think i've abandonned the idea to fight against dlc when xp dlc arrived in the tales of franchise.

Skit dlc is really stupid however. Thankfully we can youtube this stuff later....

Skit DLC is free...

I mean the worse case is that it could be time-limited but it is still free.

----------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of which, does anyone know which issue of Famitsu has that Mecha Asbel attachment?

Yes, I might want to order an issue of Famitsu for DLC.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally got to the point where I have 4 party members. The last Tales of which I played for longer than a few hours was Vesperia, so it's hard for me to compare combat systems, but so far the fights are pretty fun and I'm loving the Kamui system allowing for more flashy attacks and taking care of enemies in seconds.
The story is enjoyable so far, although it's nothing too special.
As for what I don't like - fields and the city feel dead, especially coming straight from FFXIV. I understand that they went for the "open world" feel with the field, but they are so empty that I don't really see the point.

Hopefully I'll play some more during the weekend.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the big open fields also has a little to do with the seamless combat transitions.

Xillia-sized fields with toned-down enemy numbers might have already worked, but dungeons in Zestiria would need to accomodate the combat transitions (so no more tiny perpendicular corridors ololo), so they are a lot spacier. And then the fields kinda need to be significantly spacier than the dungeons so they don't look as 'cramped' as the dungeons in presentation.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I think the big open fields also has a little to do with the seamless combat transitions.

Xillia-sized fields with toned-down enemy numbers might have already worked, but dungeons in Zestiria would need to accomodate the combat transitions (so no more tiny perpendicular corridors ololo), so they are a lot spacier. And then the fields kinda need to be significantly spacier than the dungeons so they don't look as 'cramped' as the dungeons in presentation.
I don't want fields to be really small, but right now each enemy has more than hundred square meters to itself, which it hardly needs.

FedEx just fucked my weekend.

They had my game since 06:30 am, and now it's 15:30 and they still haven't gone out to delivery it...now have to wait until monday.

So mad right now!

Finalow

As for what I don't like - fields and the city feel dead, especially coming straight from FFXIV. I understand that they went for the "open world" feel with the field, but they are so empty that I don't really see the point.
and I never saw any ''extraction point'' or whatever in this game, like Xillia had. now that's good but it might also increase that feeling of emptiness.

by the way, does anyone know if ds4 is compatible with this game?

Datschge

Yes. And I find it to be well done so far. It's all spacious in the right way, while having far more environmental clues than Xillia. Sometime the balance is off, seeing cutscenes e.g. right next to a bridge with the camera zooming out makes one notice how small characters actually are relative to the surroundings.

I don't want fields to be really small, but right now each enemy has more than hundred square meters to itself, which it hardly needs.
I feel the more open spacing in Zestiria is a direct response to the more packed spacing in the Xillia games that very few players liked. It also invites exploration that many missed.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I feel the more open spacing in Zestiria is a direct response to the more packed spacing in the Xillia games that very few players liked. It also invites exploration that many missed.
I'm all for exploration. Hell, I'm trying to check every nook and cranny, but the problem (in the fields) is that there's not even that much to discover. Granted I've only visited the first few fields so far, but in most cases I feel as if I've wasted time by searching them thoroughly.

Datschge

I'm all for exploration. Hell, I'm trying to check every nook and cranny, but the problem (in the fields) is that there's not even that much to discover.
I don't think you should go check every nook and cranny though, you wouldn't do that in real life either. ;)

RalchAC

I'm more hyped for this than both Xilla 1 and 2.

Impressions seem quite good this far. I'm with you. After playing Xillia (which was just good to me and battles weren't as exhilarating as Graces, I wasn't that hyped for the sequel, even if I'm a big fan of Xillia 2 now.

Reading the newer comments yeah. I did look at every damn crane of those damn fields... in Xillia. In Xillia 2 I was too tired of them to do that again lol

I know everybody's already streaming or watching streams of this game, but I'll probably have the stream running once I start, too. Just have to do a couple of things first, I'll probably get started in 30-40 minutes.

Oh, nice. Can you drop a comment here when you start playing the game? I'd like to watch the part covered by the OVA to see the differences and how the battle system works.

How does Graces battle system with a WiiMote work? Is it cool? Being quite curious about how it worked.

Yes. And I find it to be well done so far. It's all spacious in the right way, while having far more environmental clues than Xillia. Sometime the balance is off, seeing cutscenes e.g. right next to a bridge with the camera zooming out makes one notice how small characters actually are relative to the surroundings.

Were there many complains about how Xillia was designed? I never was a big fan on its design. There just were empty valleys that you had to traverse doing zigzag in order to get the materials and stuff there, which made them "longer" than they should.

I like the direction Zestiria is taking (even the no battle transition thing, since I would have missed the post-battle comments :p) and I'd like to see how the improve upon that formula in the future. Even if it needs some work, they are the natural evolution of the traditional world map + dungeons approach Tales always used.

It'll probably look better and better once they start messing around with the PS4.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man I didnt get the Alisha keychain thing. D: Got Edna instead so I suppose thats second best.

Aeana

Oh, nice. Can you drop a comment here when you start playing the game? I'd like to watch the part covered by the OVA to see the differences and how the battle system works.

How does Graces battle system with a WiiMote work? Is it cool? Being quite curious about how it worked.

Oh, I've already been playing.

http://twitch.tv/aeana

As for the Wii remote, A style was triggered with the A button, and B style was triggered with the B button. It was very natural.

I played it with a wiimote+nunchuck combo. I don't think you can play it with wiimote only.

Either way, it was fine. The nunchuck was used for movement, side-stepping and such and it felt pretty nice. Attacks were on the wiimote.

I liked it.

Jiraiza

Doh, Fedex left a note. Need to remind myself to put a paper on my front door next time... Hopefully, I can get it delivered/picked up tomorrow.

RalchAC

I played it with a wiimote+nunchuck combo. I don't think you can play it with wiimote only.

Either way, it was fine. The nunchuck was used for movement, side-stepping and such and it felt pretty nice. Attacks were on the wiimote.

I liked it.

You swing the WiiMote and pressed A or B in order to perform Artes, right?

I have problems with Aeana's video, it freeze from time to time. Camera seems a bit to slow to move.

Datschge

Nope, no motion control. Graces is plain classical button presses, but elegantly designed and mapped around the Wiimote + Nunchuck layout. Very comfortable to play. Liked it much better than the traditional controller mapping.

Aeana

I have problems with Aeana's video, it freeze from time to time. Camera seems a bit to slow to move.

No, Graces does not have motion controls. You press buttons to do attacks.

And sorry about the stream, is anybody else having problems?

RalchAC

Aeana's stream is perfect. It's not Twitch or her.

Yeah, I guess it's me. For some reason my father really, really likes Emule and it gives me quite some problems. It doesn't matter how much I complain about it, he just keeps using it even if I've explained him better alternatives lol.

Pop in doesn't seem as bad here as it was in Xillia, right?

Nope, no motion control. Graces is plain classical button presses, but elegantly designed and mapped around the Wiimote + Nunchuck layout. Very comfortable to play. Liked it much better than the traditional controller mapping.

No, Graces does not have motion controls. You press buttons to do attacks.

And sorry about the stream, is anybody else having problems?

I don't know where I got the idea that there were motion controls there.

RangerBAD

Yeah, I guess it's me. For some reason my father really, really likes Emule and it gives me quite some problems. It doesn't matter how much I complain about it, he just keeps using it even if I've explained him better alternatives lol.

Pop in doesn't seem as bad here as it was in Xillia, right?

I don't know where I got the idea that there were motion controls there.

I'm surprised emule is still around.

Silver trophy already?

Top Bottom