• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Mieu

Thats why I will always call her Flynnsha from now on. Lol

Made me laugh hahahaha! And will get a new MA on the PS4 version.

I now understand the reason
for having two wind tenzokus
in the game. So far, the game is shaping to be good, if not great.

I just don't really dig Rose's character design. Her color scheme reminds me of Rita Mordio and I always think she's a ripoff of her. They should've just given her that cameo costumes LOL.

I'm happily anxious about the cameo battle in the arena. :))

Any impressions so far on the game overall level design?
Imo it was one of the worst aspect in both Xillias, terribly empty repetitive outdoor zones and uninspired "dungeons".
Any improvements?

Falk

that puzzling face
For one thing, it's much less of a series of narrow perpendicular corridors, in no small part due to the seamless battle transitions.

Soriku

OK now that more info on Zaveid has come to light, it's time for retribution.

Just going by his artwork, I'm pretty sure Zabiida will be playable. He doesn't have that villain look.

Plus, he's a long range character, something the party doesn't really have yet.

What about his artwork makes him look playable? Rubs off more like a Gaius character than an Alvin character yo.

Gaius was supposed to be playable in Xillia 1 and he's playable in Xillia 2, so...

Plus he was presented as a new character designed by one of the four artists and I don't think they normally confirm weapons like guns for villains.

I disagree.

Time for an avatar bet.

Done. 2 weeks says that he's not a playable character in the game. another 2 weeks if he's a villain.

By villain you mean permanent villain right? If I were to guess I'd say he starts off as an antagonist but joins your party later.

I'll take you up.

Villain by end game.

What if
he's a party member, but he betrays you and becomes a villain?
You both win/lose?

It appears that Zaveid
is a permanent member by end-game and is not an end-game villain

So that's a month-long avatar change.

Here you go kayos, return of loli-chan. No hard feelings.

9c4RBW6.jpg

Jawmuncher

Was just checking out the OP and I saw this
Downloadable Content
Evangelion - January 22, 463 Yen per character (Lailah, Alisha, Sorey, Rose, Edna)

Shit man I need this DLC for the west. Too bad there's no chance in hell.

FSLink

Banned
RIP Tales multiplayer. Somehow they managed to get back to the state 3D multiplayer was in back in Symphonia GC, only even more annoying...

And I was hoping back in the Symphonia days that we'd eventually get a VS feature (think Star Ocean 3) as a bonus arena or something. :( Like imagine a console Radiant Mythology game with VS.

Bleh.

Also lol, I forgot about that avatar bet.

dramatis

Any impressions so far on the game overall level design?
Imo it was one of the worst aspect in both Xillias, terribly empty repetitive outdoor zones and uninspired "dungeons".
Any improvements?

People watching the streams, what are your impressions on field design so far?
Fields are huge, but a common complaint seems to be that it feels like objects of note are wide apart, leading to the feeling that it's just space to travel. However, they did try to include more individualistic things on the open fields like landmarks, or a burnt out village, and so on.

Dungeons are also pretty huge and include puzzles, so it's not just running through a space full of monsters. One of the dungeons used vertical space in a simple way for puzzling, which was nice. Of course, it helps that Go Shiina's doing the dungeon music.

There's no doubt some areas will feel reminiscent of Xillia's boxy field design, but there's enough variation between the area/level designs that it's not bad to have that mixed in as well.

Datschge

Just noticed tri-Crescendo (which also did the ToSC ports) lists Zestiria on its website having done programming and designs for it.

RalchAC

Wow. So my skeptical self could be right and they've pulled a
Flynn with Alisha?

Damn.

If they're doing a PS4 version, I think this will actually come. I don't think Bamco wants to repeat Vesperia's problem, especially since the game is probably not going to do very good numbers if it's a PS3 only entry.

They may record the PS4 exclusive lines at the same time as the PS3 game so they don't have many problems. Or do the same they did in Symphonia HD Collection. Dual audio with English dub for the stuff in the GC version and JP dub for the PS2 version.

Soriku

I'm not changing shit cuz I'm so mad right now.

Don't be a sore loser now :)

Anyway sorry, but I don't think the conclusion was that hard to glean. If you've looked at a lot of the recent media,
Zaveid constantly appears with the party. It was becoming pretty obvious he was playable
. Many people also speculated a
Kratos/Zelos situation with Dezel/Zaveid
; I don't think it's the same thing here, but nonetheless
he was bound to be permanent or you'd get a choice to make him permanent with two Wind Tenzokus available

If you tried not to think about it too much...well again sorry. I don't think it's that big of a spoiler though. I'm trying to avoid almost everything myself.

dramatis

Thanks Dramatis! How are you liking the story/characters and combat?
Combat specifics are probably best left to people who are playing and not just watching streams. The only obvious aspect in that regard is that in tight spaces, the camera becomes difficult. From looks, system is more Graces than Xillia.

Kayos will probably have a stroke if we talk more about the story. For characters, I guess you can say Sorey is a decent fellow. The other characters aren't particularly offensive (for now lol).

It seems like when you wipe out, there isn't an option to just retry battle. You have to load from save?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Combat specifics are probably best left to people who are playing and not just watching streams. The only obvious aspect in that regard is that in tight spaces, the camera becomes difficult. From looks, system is more Graces than Xillia.

Kayos will probably have a stroke if we talk more about the story. For characters, I guess you can say Sorey is a decent fellow. The other characters aren't particularly offensive (for now lol).

It seems like when you wipe out, there isn't an option to just retry battle. You have to load from save?

I'm fine with story stuff. Just spoiler tag the stuff. People should know better.

Aeana

From this point forward, I'm going to be deleting posts that spoil things without tags at minimum. I thought my warning yesterday was pretty clear.

Falk

that puzzling face
Spoiling story for what's potentially the greatest Tales game in a while calls for more than deleting posts.

Tagged at minimum, really.

Avatar bet for example really could have... you know... waited till kayos actually gets the game and plays through that part.

Aeana

Well, not wanting to be spoiled myself, I don't know exactly what happened above. If it's really severe, I'll do something more. Or ask another mod who doesn't care to take a look at it.

Aeana

In other news,

ywwkgyJ.png

Zestiria weekend engage~
Notice that it's the JP version. You don't want to know how much it cost to make this happen. (._. )

In other news,

ywwkgyJ.png

Zestiria weekend engage~
Notice that it's the JP version. You don't want to know how much it cost to make this happen. (._. )

Congrats! I recall the saga of a a few pages back.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion(s) on the game.

Datschge

Starting to think most party limitations are designed to work around hardware limitations, e.g. Sorey you control and the second human that visibly tags along while exploring, the rest of the party is Tenzokus that always fold into Sorey. On a current gen system they could probably go full out MMO with the engine if they wanted.

As for the battle camera issues in tight spaces it's kinda odd that they didn't tackle it in any way. Past 3D Tales games already did a fine job making objects between PC and camera translucent, extending that to the environment should be the obvious next step. Probably also a hardware limitation that was too much work to work around... But forgetting other players in multiplayer is inexcusable, whatever the camera setting.

Spoiling story for what's potentially the greatest Tales game in a while calls for more than deleting posts.
What's the circle dance called you're doing right now? =D

Looking forward to hearing your opinion(s) on the game.
Same here!

Falk

that puzzling face
What's the circle dance called you're doing right now? =D

I dunno, separate spoiler thread or not my stance on all spoilers being tagged hasn't changed.

Completely different from saying to someone very specifically "hey hey, come here and look, look at this spoiler I won our avatar bet lol!"

demidar

In other news,

ywwkgyJ.png

Zestiria weekend engage~

I'd like to know what kind of devilry you pulled to hasten those shipping times. Could prove useful in the future.

Unless all you did was pay for another copy :V

Aeana

...There are DLC skits?
C'mon, son.

I'd like to know what kind of devilry you pulled to hasten those shipping times. Could prove useful in the future.

Unless all you did was pay for another copy :V

Yes, I ordered from somewhere else with express shipping. But it would've gotten here at exactly the same time had I not gotten tricked into FedEx Economy shipping from P-A rather than the regular FedEx.
So I'd say if you want something this fast, normally all you'd do is order from Play-Asia and choose the regular FedEx shipping option.

Datschge

I dunno, separate spoiler thread or not my stance on all spoilers being tagged hasn't changed.
I know I know, and fully agree wrt this case. Just found it funny to see the variety of output you had on this topic within the last 24h. ;)

...There are DLC skits?
C'mon, son.
Aren't they free? I thought that may be a rather good idea preventing at least some players from selling their completed copies again right away.

RPGCrazied

I won't stay long in this thread due to spoilers, but when someone completes this game, please tell me how many in game costumes there are, or if they are all going to be DLC?

dramatis

I think having one person run after you is probably the best they can do because of the environment. While you're running around on the field there's actually quite a good deal of pop in bushes/rocks, same goes for npc.

I guess we wouldn't know what they can ease up on unless/until they port up to PS4.

Tommy DJ

I've been watching some streams out of curiosity. To be honest, I think the game is perfectly fine graphically. Of course Twitch is probably the worst way to judge this but it definitely doesn't look like a PS2 game or significantly worse than Tales of Vesperia in my mind.

More importantly, animation and transitions between different animations are notably better than past Tales games. Cutscene direction also seems much better, at least for major cutscenes.

The OST is a lot better than past Tales games where Sakuraba basically phones it in.

So all things considered, this actually looks like a solid effort from Namco. Dunno why people are so damn bitter about this game.

Still waiting for the tales game that comes with a credit card swipe attachment in the case.

Well I mean these DLC skits are free though.

The version of Graces I played (Wii) didn't have them, I don't think.
Still haven't gotten to Graces F since I played it through on Wii two times already.

Oh yeah, probably not on the Wii version. They were for Graces F and it was mostly fun stuff like about Christmas or 47 Ronin.

Tommy DJ

Damn bitter? Who? Where? Discussing details they neglected does not equal being bitter about the whole game. ;)

Oh I didn't mean here, people here are generally realistic about their complaints. Literally everywhere else is an absolute salt mine and I find it hilarious and confusing at the same time.

Datschge

Oh I didn't mean here, people here are generally realistic about their complaints. Literally everywhere else is an absolute salt mine and I find it hilarious and confusing at the same time.
Oh that, right. Well, in that regard it's Tales for better or worse. Tales just completely clashes with common expectations (graphics!) for console games.

I'm more hyped for this than both Xilla 1 and 2.
Yeah, exploration looks to be more fun again.

Top Bottom