• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Soriku

What a shame, the game-changing twists have always been my favorite thing about the stories, and I consider story to be almost as important as gameplay when talking about most RPGs.

Oh well, still buying day one. Actually good to know beforehand, even Graces' story was enjoyable in some weird way when you knew how bad it was gonna be.

More recently I don't recall Xillia 2 having any 'dumb' twists either.

Falk

that puzzling face
Twists are also pretty subjective, I guess. Playing Xillia, when the Elympions busted in, I was like "oh, ho hum, it's the 'other world' trope". A friend was all "holy shit that's the best twist ever" because it was his first Tales game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Twists are also pretty subjective, I guess. Playing Xillia, when the Elympions busted in, I was like "oh, ho hum, it's the 'other world' trope". A friend was all "holy shit that's the best twist ever" because it was his first Tales game.

The twist for me wasn't the fact that there was another world but the fact that people didn't have Mana Lobes. lol.

Soriku

lolz. What did he think of
Alvin trying to kill Jude
?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also someone tell me we see more of this guy:

eOJad.jpg

What did you exactly do for the "fighting with a lot of characters" trophy? And does it include Alisha? :p

Alisha is not included. For the character use trophy, seems you can just set all characters to semi-auto and play with only Slay/Sorey and get it. Not sure how many fights are needed for that, since I did it the "old fashioned way" (switch to all charcters using the out of battle menu, fight with each character for 150 fights)

If anyone is interested, here is the trophy guide I wrote most of. All volunteer, so hopefully it's okay to put this up.

http://trophies.ps3wiki.net/E3-83-8...-B9-E3-83-86-E3-82-A3-E3-83-AA-E3-82-A2-.html

It took me about 120 hours, but that's because I was writing the guide and left it on overnight alot to make the おやつ for the trophy... which doesn't actually work.

I would say that now that we know how to get the trophies, it should really only take about 60 hours maybe,

aravuus

I didn't enjoy ToX2 much anyway. I recall it having a mild one, though.
Alternate dimension Ludger being the girl's father
or something like that? Of course, it's not nearly as big as something like ToX1's other world twist. Speaking of which...

I don't know what it is, but I enjoyed that twist immensely. I've already seen it a ton of times in different games so it wasn't exactly that surprising but when it happens, it always opens a bunch of fun new directions for the plot to go. Usually the most interesting part is seeing how different the other world is.

I suppose it's the same with, say, time travel stories. Seems like almost every time there's the twist that has the protagonist travel back in time towards the end of the story and interact with past-protag. Like, steer him towards the path that leads to him traveling back, etc etc. It's never really surprising, but it's always a ton of fun to see how they interact.

Weiss

Banned
I thought the Elympios twist was great, if only because the actual world was freaking cool. "Two opposing worlds" is a cliche for Tales but Elympios is genuinely one of the best uses of the trope in the entire series.

Rpgmonkey

Unlocked the water Kamui. So far I'm enjoying the game, playing on hard and outside of it taking a second or two longer to kill enemies with rather low HP than I'm used to in a Tales game, it hasn't been that difficult.

Not sure how to feel about the auxiliary systems yet. My impression so far is that it's quite different, in that progression is split up into like six different things that progress at drastically different rates and it feels like a matter of balancing everything so things are continuously leveling up and you're making progress. When something gives diminishing returns and starts growing slowly (or just plain grinds to a halt) you either have to ignore it for a while and focus on other stuff, or make some changes so you're progressing again. It's a jarring concept though when most Tales games have progression systems that are more centralized, more linear, and friendlier to people who aren't into so much micromanagement and want something that's better at working itself out.

Korigama

While I don't consider it dumb, as someone still playing through Xillia 2, I thought that its take on
the concept of parallel worlds in Fractured Dimensions was distinctive in how returning to your own world didn't simply involve resolving the situation and being sent along your way with everything being okay for everyone, but rather meant essentially committing genocide every time since you were destroying entire worlds to preserve your own

It's a jarring concept though when most Tales games have progression systems that are more centralized, more linear, and friendlier to people who aren't into so much micromanagement and want something that's better at working itself out.
I can understand people being caught off guard by this, but both my brother and I agree involving the player in the level up process is always a plus. Many times JRPG leveling systems are on automatic it seems, with no perceived agency as far as progression goes. Hearts R's soma leveling system is one of the reasons I think that game has some of the best gameplay in the series IMO. That was probably a simpler progression system though, less room for confusion. Has anyone who has played both Zesty and Hearts R comment on how they compare.
Haven't had a chance to play all week, just did Fire Dungeon and man, that music was so good!
I was listening to it basically nonstop for a few days last week. Its awesome. Dungeon music plays the whole time you are in the dungeon right? Doesn't stop for the normal battle music for fights?

Despite the game being "rough around the edges" I really am looking forward to playing it. Hope whatever technical issues can be worked out when everyone else gets the game.

Bebpo

Banned
I can understand people being caught off guard by this, but both my brother and I agree involving the player in the level up process is always a plus. Many times JRPG leveling systems are on automatic it seems, with no perceived agency as far as progression goes. Hearts R's soma leveling system is one of the reasons I think that game has some of the best gameplay in the series IMO. That was probably a simpler progression system though, less room for confusion. Has anyone who has played both Zesty and Hearts R comment on how they compare.

I was listening to it basically nonstop for a few days last week. Its awesome. Dungeon music plays the whole time you are in the dungeon right? Doesn't stop for the normal battle music for fights?

Despite the game being "rough around the edges" I really am looking forward to playing it. Hope whatever technical issues can be worked out when everyone else gets the game.

Yeah, dungeon music keeps playing in battles for certain dungeons like that one.

Rhapsody

Banned
Finally played some Zestiria. I really like the battle system. A lot more fun than Xillia, imo. Definitely has more of that Graces feel which makes it enjoyable for me. The frame rate not being at a solid 60 didn't feel as bad as how Symphonia was. I knew the camera was awful, but I didn't know how bad it was in 2 player. There were times when both of us would be completely off screen.

The fields were ok. They were huge, but really really empty.

Mendrox

So is it normal that my level doesn't match it all with the enemies? Example I was level 22 when fighting level 25-32 monsters. Leveling is also very slow on normal.. Guess that is normal? I try to dualize my equipment by keeping the skill points in mind and I don't really have problems in battles (well other than fighting 5 spirit artes user that cast spells at the beginning of a battle lol)

Fisico

So is it normal that my level doesn't match it all with the enemies? Example I was level 22 when fighting level 25-32 monsters. Leveling is also very slow on normal.. Guess that is normal? I try to dualize my equipment by keeping the skill points in mind and I don't really have problems in battles (well other than fighting 5 spirit artes user that cast spells at the beginning of a battle lol)

Yes it's normal, unless you do some crazy levelling the ennemies will always be levels above you.

Shouta

Okay. I just got
Zaveid
and that felt more forced than anything. teh fuk?

Yeah, that's one of the issues I was referring to. lol

His introduction, reasons, and all that are bizarre at the time. They make more sense in retrospect but you shouldn't need to finish the game to understand that, lol.

3Kaze

Alisha is not included. For the character use trophy, seems you can just set all characters to semi-auto and play with only Slay/Sorey and get it. Not sure how many fights are needed for that, since I did it the "old fashioned way" (switch to all charcters using the out of battle menu, fight with each character for 150 fights)

If anyone is interested, here is the trophy guide I wrote most of. All volunteer, so hopefully it's okay to put this up.

http://trophies.ps3wiki.net/E3-83-8...-B9-E3-83-86-E3-82-A3-E3-83-AA-E3-82-A2-.html

It took me about 120 hours, but that's because I was writing the guide and left it on overnight alot to make the おやつ for the trophy... which doesn't actually work.

I would say that now that we know how to get the trophies, it should really only take about 60 hours maybe,

Thanks I got it. I mostly played with Slay and Rose during the playthrough, and started playing with Lailah with everyone one semi-auto. Less than 100 battles and it popped up. What a random trophy. At least the "hardest" one is out of the way :D

kayos90

Okay. I'm at the memory orb part and I'm about to just drop this game. It's pretty infuriating having to translate everything right now. Audio. That's fine. Reading with backtracking especially when teleports aren't cheap. What. The. Fuck.

Yes it's normal, unless you do some crazy levelling the ennemies will always be levels above you.

That's only true if you only fight single encounters, which is not a very smart thing to do. Dangerous encounters give a crazy exp bonus and are much more fun. You fight less, but every battle is much more challenging, and you'll never end up under-levelled. I felt pretty stupid for having wasted so much time on normal battles after realizing that you go from getting 50 exp to like, 500 exp per battle if you clump enemies together.

Fisico

装甲悪鬼村正;151176539 said:
That's only true if you only fight single encounters, which is not a very smart thing to do. Dangerous encounters give a crazy exp bonus and are much more fun. You fight less, but every battle is much more challenging, and you'll never end up under-levelled. I felt pretty stupid for having wasted so much time on normal battles after realizing that you go from getting 50 exp to like, 500 exp per battle if you clump enemies together.

Yes that's worth mentionning, but even with that ennemis will still be above you in term of levels, just that it will be by a few instead of a dozen (or a few dozens at the end lol).

I'm level 32 right now and I haven't seen enemies way above mine (apart from the occasional purple monster or the random level 101
Helldarf
on the field) until now.

I may have spent more time than you all on leveling though (especially on two occasions where soldiers keep coming). I fight almost every enemy I encounter, more so if I'm in a dungeon.

Datschge

Doesn't the enemy level depend on battle acts and/or equipment skills? Recall reading something along that line before in this thread but can't find the post again right now.

kayos90

Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I may or may not drop the game until the English release.

To sum up how I feel about the game so far. And this is me having roughly 36 hours in.

Story
- There is just no building up for important climaxes. Shit just happens. That's about it
- Characters are likeable. Edna is easily the best and Lailah is just fucking annoying.

Gameplay
- The battle is really fun when you're just wrecking shit because it's actually difficult to aggro and maintain stagger in the beginning of the game.
- Auxiliary systems become absolute shit and more noticeable as the game goes on
- Fields look better but is empty as shit. It's also fucking huge and that's not good.
- Teleports cost way too fucking much
- I absolutely hate how the cities look and how shitty they are.

Sound
- Voice acting is fan-fucking-tastic. I love it. All of them. They are ALL good.
- Audio design is absolute shit. It just sounds very basic and stuff doesn't have umph.
- Soundtrack is fucking amazing. Even the Sakuraba stuff is good. So... yeah.

Visuals
- This game needs AA real bad. Also, the textures are flat and that's not good.

^this post is supposed to sound exaggerated.

kiryogi

Banned
Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I may or may not drop the game until the English release.

To sum up how I feel about the game so far. And this is me having roughly 36 hours in.

Story
- There is just no building up for important climaxes. Shit just happens. That's about it
- Characters are likeable. Edna is easily the best and Lailah is just fucking annoying.

Gameplay
- The battle is really fun when you're just wrecking shit because it's actually difficult to aggro and maintain stagger in the beginning of the game.
- Auxiliary systems become absolute shit and more noticeable as the game goes on
- Fields look better but is empty as shit. It's also fucking huge and that's not good.

Sound
- Voice acting is fan-fucking-tastic. I love it. All of them. They are ALL good.
- Audio design is absolute shit. It just sounds very basic and stuff doesn't have umph.

Visuals

I sometimes wonder if it's a gamebreaker to adapt a teleport design like an MMO such as Xenoblade did it. Especially in games featuring vast open worlds. It's kinda like dealing with MP/TP management, it's a hassle nowadays.

kayos90

I sometimes wonder if it's a gamebreaker to adapt a teleport design like an MMO such as Xenoblade did it. Especially in games featuring vast open worlds. It's kinda like dealing with MP/TP management, it's a hassle nowadays.

Xenoblade teleporting is better than Zestiria's. Like... way better. lol.

kiryogi

Banned
Xenoblade teleporting is better than Zestiria's. Like... way better. lol.

That's what I'm saying, remove costs period and giving you absolute freedom with it. I mean I imagine some of the game design balance is based around the teleports in terms of costs in Zesty. I don't know. Just musing.

kayos90

That's what I'm saying, remove costs period and giving you absolute freedom with it. I mean I imagine some of the game design balance is based around the teleports in terms of costs in Zesty. I don't know. Just musing.

I know. I'm saying that even if Zesty's teleports didn't cost money it still sucks because you can only teleport to save points and save points suck in Zesty for teleport.

Bebpo

Banned

Story

Gameplay

Sound

Visuals

How is teleporting expensive? It's like 1,000 gald and I'm usually rolling around with like 40k+ Also they have save points near every exit/entrance on the map and before bosses, where else would you want them?

kayos90

How is teleporting expensive? It's like 1,000 gald and I'm usually rolling around with like 40k+ Also they have save points near every exit/entrance on the map and before bosses, where else would you want them?

In the middle of the map? Why at just the exits?

3Kaze

It's scaling with your money. I have 800k and I must pay 40k with both blessings for cheap travel equipped.

Shouta

They have saves near most important landmarks as well. That's usually fine actually. I never had problems with it not being one in the middle of the map. If anything, I hated that they locked warps when there was a specific event they wanted you to use forcing you to run there instead of designing the events with warps in mind.

Shouta

And yeah, it's scaled. So it's best to use up as much money as you can before travelling around. Kinda silly.

Mh, got
Mikleo's
field action yesterday just before going to bed.
Are they really telling me to
spam this on fields filled with a malevolent presence
? I seriously hope we'll be able to
purify those zones later because exploration is going to be hampered a lot in there.

Zankou

Wow funny how different everyones pacing is... We were at hour 8 when we got Dezel. :D And we also grinded some equipment and levels and got lost in Lady Lake lol
I've played 16 hours when I got Dezel. Now I'm in the final dungeon and am at hour 49. And that's mostly main story. Didn't even touch much of the side content :D

I always take my time :)

Shouta

Mh, got
Mikleo's
field action yesterday just before going to bed.
Are they really telling me to
spam this on fields filled with a malevolent presence
? I seriously hope we'll be able to
purify those zones later because exploration is going to be hampered a lot in there.

That one is the leas used one in the game.

Bladenic

Watched a full Hi Ougi exhibition. As always I couldn't control myself, big spoilers. However, they're pretty awesome and probably the best mystic Artes since Graces and (although the dual ones in Xillia 2 were amazing). Also (secret hi ougi spoilers)
Sorey and Rose get a dual hi ougi, and it's Ultimate Elements!

kayos90

Alright. This game is officially dropped until Q2. Sorry guys. I'll stick around the thread but I'm bailing in terms of the playing portion.

Top Bottom