• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

damn, he's right guys, we all got hoodwinked hard

I'm just curious, are people really that impatient that they'll go through a WHOLE jrpg reading a faq to translate every piece of story dialogue? Unless you can read and understand Japanese then nevermind, but the former seems like such a fucking chore. I just don't see how anyone could enjoy a jrpg that way.

Sakura

I'm just curious, are people really that impatient that they'll go through a WHOLE jrpg reading a faq to translate every piece of story dialogue? Unless you can read and understand Japanese then nevermind, but the former seems like such a fucking chore. I just don't see how anyone could enjoy a jrpg that way.

Er I can understand it just fine in Japanese. Though I don't know if the game would be any fun to people that can't understand any.

Aeana

...Maybe they can understand Japanese? Why are you being so rude?

Falk

that puzzling face

I don't know which is the stupider assumption here: that the people importing all can't read japanese, or that we don't know there's an English version launching later this year.

edit: Or 3) that there's gonna be a translation FAQ for the game the day the Japanese version comes out.

if that's how you play japanese games, more power to you.

Er I can understand it just fine in Japanese. Though I don't know if the game would be any fun to people that can't understand any.

Yeah that's why I said it makes sense for those that understand, but I just find it odd for gaijins that have not a single clue how to translate Japanese at all to play a JRPG. Japanese games are fine to import but for software to boast nearly 100+ hours of gameplay? I'd rather wait the 6 months to play it in a language I can understand. I'm a bit envious by the way. The only thing holding me back from importing is my lack of Kanji knowledge. I'm not sure how to go about learning that.

if that's how you play japanese games, more power to you.

It won't be out in those regions until much later. 6 months at least.

...Maybe they can understand Japanese? Why are you being so rude?

I said nevermind to those that can read and translate Japanese. I'm only baffled at how those with 0 knowledge of it would import the game.

FSLink

Banned
As someone who isn't Japanese proficient, I also just really enjoy the gameplay of these games. Being someone who plays fighting games competitively, it also scratches that itch of figuring out combos while putting it in a JRPG package. I've played enough of the series to usually know what's going on mechanics-wise. Most of the modern Tales games are pretty linear too.

Tales of games also don't come over all the time (at least until recent years), and while this game is confirmed to come over, it's just kind of tradition for me to grab the latest game asap.

Tohsaka

Yeah that's why I said it makes sense for those that understand, but I just find it odd for gaijins that have not a single clue how to translate Japanese at all to play a JRPG. Japanese games are fine to import but for software to boast nearly 100+ hours of gameplay? I'd rather wait the 6 months to play it in a language I can understand. I'm a bit envious by the way. The only thing holding me back from importing is my lack of Kanji knowledge. I'm not sure how to go about learning that.

I said nevermind to those that can read and translate Japanese. I'm only baffled at how those with 0 knowledge of it would import the game.

You could probably play this game without knowing much if any kanji, as long as you know the kana and have a decent grasp of the spoken language. Tales games aren't really that complex, usually.

I don't know which is the stupider assumption here: that the people importing all can't read japanese, or that we don't know there's an English version launching later this year.

edit: Or 3) that there's gonna be a translation FAQ for the game the day the Japanese version comes out.

Nice Edit ..your number 3 is clearly the funniest of the lot , lol

Plenty of Japanese learning websites feature kanji-a-day, why not bookmark one of those? Besides, in my experience with the Tales games, the kanji was never frequent or difficult enough to pose much of a problem. (Granted, I come from a Chinese background and both languages share a lot of characters)

Mifec

Wouldn't say it's 0 for me but yeah.

Worst case scenario it doesn't have dual audio, I rip both my NTSC-J and PAL discs and do a replace the English sounds/cinematics with Japanese ones in a "legal" for lack of better word way and there I have my Japanese audio full subbed game.

It has dual audio, well I spent 60 euros on a double dip instead of idk alcohol or whatever else.

You could probably play this game without knowing much if any kanji, as long as you know the kana and have a decent grasp of the spoken language. Tales games aren't really that complex, usually.

Tales game are like Ys games:

Story? Oh yeah, that thing... skip

Falk

that puzzling face
Actual answer:

Importing JP Zestiria on PS3, waiting on EN Zestiria on PS4. If that doesn't happen, I'll just shrug because replaying the game again in English isn't something I'm going to clamber over myself for.

Tales game are like Ys games:

Story? Oh yeah, that thing... skip

You realize you're not representing how everyone feels? That's such a ridiculous thing to say. If you don't care about story either, is it fun to spend 10-20 minutes of trial and error finding out what menu does what and which artes do what? Yours and anyone else that thinks like you have a terrible definition of fun.

Actual answer:

Importing JP Zestiria on PS3, waiting on EN Zestiria on PS4. If that doesn't happen, I'll just shrug because replaying the game again in English isn't something I'm going to clamber over myself for.

I'm also kind of waiting for a possible PS4 release.

Mifec

You realize you're not representing how everyone feels? That's such a ridiculous thing to say. If you don't care about story either, is it fun to spend 10-20 minutes of trial and error finding out what menu does what and which artes do what? Yours and anyone else that thinks like you have a terrible definition of fun.

Pretty sure the person was not serious.

FSLink

Banned

You realize you're making a bunch of silly assumptions when they were making a joke?

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the stories either. A good story in a Tales of game is a nice bonus but it's not why I play the games (battle systems + subsystems like Eres Pot and such).

Also even if you don't attempt to read the menus, there's so many visual indicators of what stuff is that there's no way it'd take 10-20 minutes unless you're new to the series. Apple Gummis still look like Apple Gummis and so on.

I know a good Proctologist who can help you get that stick out of your ass, if you're interested.

:lol

I mean sure if you never played a Tales game before.

I know a good Proctologist who can help you get that stick out of your ass, if you're interested.

It was just a joke. I just meant that even if you miss most of the story, you aren't missing much in the grand scheme of things, since gameplay is king in Tales games.

NolbertoS

I can'f wait for this Tales game. So will this be PS3 only?? Or a PS vita version too?? My Tales of backlog is getting bigger each year :(

btw, does this game allow you to take in-game screenshots from the PS3's XMB like Xillia 2?

Or has anyone found out if you can or can not? That was one of my favorite features in Xillia 2.

Aeana

It seems that ordering the Asian version actually did bite me in the butt. P-A told me they haven't received it yet.

Aeana

wait, what

packing.png

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

I'm also kind of waiting for a possible PS4 release.

Do us all a favor and stop shitting up the thread with stupid eh? the OT clearly states this is the import thread therefore means people here will want to discuss both the fame in general and the import (jp language) version.

As pretty much for the most part your recent posts add nothing useful to the discussion here.

People have various reasons for wanting to import something and who are you to judge that.

Parakeetman

It's weird. I guess the support team and the warehouse guys aren't exactly in sync.

Man that sucks weird too considering seems like when there is a jp & asia release at the same time asia usually gets it pretty quick too.

Thing like this is why I no longer to care to link folks to PA when it comes to people asking about imports

hope i can make it home in time to get my copy delivered (´・ω・`)

Do DLC costumes usually come out for Western version as well? Even the anime collaboration ones?

Half and half success rate.

For Graces f: We didn't get Asbel's .hack costume, Sophie's Miku costume nor the idolmaster costumes.

For Xillia 1: We didn't get the Star Driver outfits but did get idolmaster.

For Xillia 2: No Code Geass Akito nor the Madoka ones.

Ok, it's more like pretty unlikely we'll get any collaboration ones unless they are a Bamco property. And that's still a maybe.

Aeana

Man that sucks weird too considering seems like when there is a jp & asia release at the same time asia usually gets it pretty quick too.

Thing like this is why I no longer to care to link folks to PA when it comes to people asking about imports

It seems like it's fine now, since they're packing the order.

I usually use P-A for games at release because they can ship it to me faster than anybody else. If it's a product that is already out that I want to buy, I'll usually try somewhere like HMV JP.

Parakeetman

It seems like it's fine now, since they're packing the order.

I usually use P-A for games at release because they can ship it to me faster than anybody else. If it's a product that is already out that I want to buy, I'll usually try somewhere like HMV JP.

oh nice! HMV JP also does international shipping? how are they?

Top Bottom