• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks a lot! Hmm I swear I saw the most right icon in the menu is the settings to load a game and change the game settings.

Will look for it properly the next time I play!
Yep, the one with the settings is on the main menu, while the one with the DLC is a sub-menu inside the Items menu.

R0ckman

I had an a new hidden arte in que from a title equip and now its somehow gone and all my titles have a fire move in que,
this happened when I became shepard
. What the hell happened to my other move?

aravuus

There are a bunch of systems in this game that I like. Support talents and battle actions, for example, are really cool.

Shame the most important stuff, like skill, equipment and leveling systems are terrible. Thankfully the game is super easy on normal already since I really can't be arsed to tinker with my equipment, trying to get the best bonus skills. I just get new stuff now and then, fuse them around a bit and equip them on my characters. Don't give a fuck what bonus skills I get.

The skill system also ruins the equipment for me. I've always liked how all weapons, armor pieces, accessories etc tend to be unique in JRPGs. Every single piece of equipment is unique in name and stats, there are no tiny variations. If I already have Broadsword equipped on my character, I most likely won't come across another one ever and even if I did, it's the exact same, can sell it without another thought. Here I find myself choosing between five different Calcite Swords with tiny differences, which is something I simply don't find fun at all. Some people don't like the linear progression you get with your equipment in JRPGs, I like it.

And leveling being practically useless is stupid.

Thank god the game is still a lot of fun to actually play, cause as it stands, ToZ has like the worst skill and equipment system in the whole series. It's not game-ruining, but it's a lot worse than what other Tales games have to offer.

Paznos

My copy won't get here til Friday :|. I guess I waited to long and Best Buys release day shipping changed to standard free shipping even though I ordered last week.

man the camera is ass. But yea I agree that the game throws a lot at you especially a new player in terms of how the battle system goes.

Also do I want to fuse items all the time or do i want to wait till theyre at five stars to fuse

Vaettir

I just can't get over this weird feeling playing it on PC, like it's somehow wrong.

Only thing I can't get over on PC is how it handles saves. At work right now so I don't have any pictures at hand. Might be a bug or something, but the most recent save is always the second option by the noted time. I have to double save to make sure it's recorded.

Flarin

Played about 2.5 hours on PS4 last night. Some initial thoughts:

+ While not a visual powerhouse Zestiria has seen some nice upgrades since Xillia. Everything looks more saturated and less muted. Pleasant color palette as well.
+ Music is excellent, one of the best soundtracks in quite a few entries.
+ Load times are practically non-existent. Love it.

+/- This might just be me, but there's something off about how the dialogue is delivered. It's not like characters are having a real conversation but simply have a string of lines put together. For example, a character will pose a question and the other's reply seems like they're answering a different question.
+/- The skill system seems needlessly complicated but I might not understand it quite yet.

- That camera in battle.

Personally, Xillia 2 was a low point in the series for me and Zestiria is already delivering. Can't wait to dive in for more!

Khilandros

lol. Everyone in my party is now wearing the sunglasses, makes the cut scenes that much better/cooler, thanks for the info on where to get it.

Flarin

Xillia 2 is a low point? Compared to the first? Hmmm...

Well... anyway, my PS4 copy of Zestiria should be here today. I think.

Especially compared to the first. Silent protagonist, the entire game is almost all recycled enemies and areas from Xillia 1, needlessly gating off the story until you complete tedious side quests. I could be wrong, but I remember it being shorter as well.

Elle is Xillia 2's only redeeming aspect. She's pretty awesome.

aravuus

Xillia 2 is a low point? Compared to the first? Hmmm...

Well... anyway, my PS4 copy of Zestiria should be here today. I think.

The later parts of Xillia 1 were rushed, but it was still a pretty good gaming, even with the boring characters.

ToX2 was just terrible. So far the only Tales game I didn't finish.

Shame the most important stuff, like skill, equipment and leveling systems are terrible. Thankfully the game is super easy on normal already since I really can't be arsed to tinker with my equipment, trying to get the best bonus skills. I just get new stuff now and then, fuse them around a bit and equip them on my characters. Don't give a fuck what bonus skills I get.

I have a feeling that's the way I'll be playing as well. Good to know others are too. Played about an hour last night before bed via Remote Play (PSTV). Tried to get a grasp on the equipment building stuff but my tired mind wouldn't let me lol

Loving the music so far. And I appreciate the seamless transitions into battle.

Question for those further along or who may have even beaten the game. Are there a lot of "missables"? I bought the Prima guide and debating returning it. I bought the guide with Xillia 2 and it was helpful for maps that showed where treasures/spoils were
(and for navigating that last dungeon, ugh)
. Not really looking to Platinum this game though.

Knurek

I don't know, I play it on the same display as earlier Tales games, and with the same controller. Just with fantastic IQ, extremely consistent performance, and basically no loading times :p

We need Dual Shock buttons mod.
This is one series where Xbox prompts just feel weird.

TraBuch

Banned
It's weird how people shit on Xillia 2 now. It seems like people pretty unanimously said it was better than Xillia before it was released in the US. Kinda like how people said Type-0 was the best FF game in years and then it came out and everyone shat on it.

It's weird how people shit on Xillia 2 now. It seems like people pretty unanimously said it was better than Xillia before it was released in the US. Kinda like how people said Type-0 was the best FF game in years and then it came out and everyone shat on it.

MtZ9N.gif

This shit has been happening forever. I remember people who said that Morrowind was a "dumbed down piece of shit", who proceeded to revere it as the best Elder Scrolls game ever made after Oblivion came out.

General rule of advice though. Never trust import impressions. The opinions in them tend to be... Tainted and biased. Someone who goes through all the effort of learning Japanese and spending a fuckton of money on importing is probably the type who already has their mind set on what they think about a game, and any further judgement clouded by how much money they've spent. Look at Bravely Default, so many people saying it was the "Best JRPG since FF6!!!"... And, well, it turned out to be a total piece of crap. Sure, it had the spirit of classic Final Fantasy, but I can assure you it didn't have the quality.

If you REALLY are dead set on listening to import impressions, watch out for the words "Best JRPG since [PS1/SNES Era JRPG]!!!", those words are a massive warning sign in my experience.

LegatoB

Really wish that using GeDoSaTo to downsample didn't break mouse menu controls for me. I know I could just plug in my Dualshock 4 and then go setup a 360 controller emulator again so it would properly detect all the buttons and play the game that way, but, that's a huge pain.

Falk

that puzzling face

This shit has been happening forever. I remember people who said that Morrowind was a "dumbed down piece of shit", who proceeded to revere it as the best Elder Scrolls game ever made after Oblivion came out.

General rule of advice though. Never trust import impressions. The opinions in them tend to be... Tainted and biased. Someone who goes through all the effort of learning Japanese and spending a fuckton of money on importing is probably the type who already has their mind set on what they think about a game, and any further judgement clouded by how much money they've spent. Look at Bravely Default, so many people saying it was the "Best JRPG since FF6!!!"... And, well, it turned out to be a total piece of crap.

I usually agree with your posts, but really

1) The people who seesaw between extremes are in a healthy minority
2) Delving a little into your example BD turned out to be a total piece of crap to some, and the best JRPG since FF6 for others, and both for a lot of people, just because of how the game was structured. I mean quite a few opinion posts make that pretty clear.

It's not possible to concisely convey an opinion in a few paragraphs (this is why reviews can be pages long), nor is it really meaningful to summarize multiple opinions, or a plethora of opinions, especially conflicting ones, into a single generalizing sentence.

edit: removed gif from quote lol

squadr0n

Not afraid to say it, Best Tales of game on the PS4!

But seriously I dont agree with the people saying the story is shit. I really like the setting and themes this time around. The bad guys are actually pretty cool and not just mindless evil doers.

Stuart444

I still think Xillia 2 is better than 1 personally. Even though Ludger is 'silent', I still think he displayed plenty of character throughout the game and he really made me feel for him by the end of the game.

I also feel all the characters were better in X2 (though I liked them in X1 but still), I thought the story was better and while there was a lot of asset reuse (tbf, it's a sequel so reusing assets shouldn't be a surprise), I found the world interesting.

My main complaint was the debt system. I could handle the debt system but Nova calling up so much when I was saving money for shop stuff just pissed me off.

Still I loved Xillia 2 more than Xillia.

Well... there is a reason for that :p

Anyone else playing on PC and totally unable to do those arena fights (they look like red save points)?

Every time I try to load it up, it hard locks the game when it say "(monster name) appears".

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

But seriously I dont agree with the people saying the story is shit. I really like the setting and themes this time around. The bad guys are actually pretty cool and not just mindless evil doers.

So far I don't think the story ain't bad but at the same time its not that memorable. Better than Tales of Xillia 1 for sure and fuck tons better than Graces F. We'll see if there is not a shit twist like Xillia 1 that makes the decent story it had take a nosedive.

R0ckman

The hell? The story is great! Very simple, not overly complicated with world concepts.

Top Bottom