• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

R0ckman

Hey guys, I played for a few hours last night and have a couple of questions.

1) I noticed that you can only chain up to 4 actions in combat instead of as much as your resources allow you to like in Graces, Destiny, Hearts, and the Xillias. Is there anything that will let me extend my actions?

2) For difficulties, how much XP am I losing for picking hard mode? And do I also get the drop rate bonus that moderate mode gives?

Hold down R2, on the third action and it can extend into another 4, but it takes a full BG charge.

Rhapsody

Banned
What do level ups do then? o_O

I'm a little confused about stat/skill/etc progression in this game so far. Methinks they made it a wee bit too complicated.
The game says that the higher your stats are (including equipment) during a level up, the more your base stats will go up.

But equipment really takes a higher priority. So be sure to update and fuse when you can.

artsi

a bit late, but what's general GAF consensus on this game so far?

Personally I love it, but it's quite mixed here I think.

Camera can be quite bad sometimes in indoor battles, and the skill system isn't great, but I like the story/characters/music/world so much that they don't really matter to me.

Hugstable

Banned
a bit late, but what's general GAF consensus on this game so far?

I'm really liking it so far, though I don't think I'm that far yet that I can really make an informed opinion on things, just got Artemization or whatever it's called in the sewers. Then again I really like all Tales games and it usually takes alot for me to just straight up dislike a game, hell I even really enjoyed Graces, even if I wasn't hot on the story I really liked the characters (Pascal, Hubert and Crablettes (Sophie)). I think the only Tales game I didn't finish out of the ones I've played was Abyss, played it on 3DS, but the sub quests drove me insane on that one.

Fauve

Make sure you have the battle support skill equipped for it. There's one for the first hit and second hit as well in case you're running out of SC.

Gotcha. But one quick question, how exactly do I learn more of those battle actions? Do they come from those tablets laying around?

The game says it's better early on to focus on getting more skill links (horizontal and vertical, I don't know if it works diagonally) then grinding for specific skills on your weapon. Get more skills which reveals them on the Skill Chart once you get them.

Gotcha. But one quick question, how exactly do I learn more of those battle actions? Do they come from those tablets laying around?

I think they get unlocked as you progress through the story. The ones in your Battle Skill Menu that say ???? require special conditions to unlock like doing 50 Blasts or whatever it says in the description when highlighted.

I actually like the Seraph system. I've managed to save myself and my party members multiple times with the switching.

Also everyone should know about the orders on the Right Analog Stick.

Up = Charge Foward > Focuses on attacking

Down = Prioritize Defense > Focuses on evading/blocking enemy attacks and healing.

I may have the next two switched up but I think they are;

Right = Focus > All party members focus on your selected target.

Left = Spread Out > All party members attack different targets.

R3 = Cancel any given commands.

This is pretty useful depending on the situation, like getting your party members to pull back and heal up while you attempt to stagger the boss for example. Or spreading out when you have multiple pesky magic users taking huge chunks out of you.

Fauve

The game says it's better early on to focus on getting more skill links (horizontal and vertical, I don't know if it works diagonally) then grinding for specific skills on your weapon. Get more skills which reveals them on the Skill Chart once you get them.

I think they get unlocked as you progress through the story. The ones in your Battle Skill Menu that say ???? require special conditions to unlock like doing 50 Blasts or whatever it says in the description when highlighted.

Ah ok. I just took a glimpse into that menu and didn't notice anything. Thanks!

So, i'm on PC, and i have some weird stuttering, like FPS drops, but fraps doesn't indicate that at all, its stay locked a 30 Fps!

What's up with this game? (GTX 980ti here, tried in 4k and 1080, same problem)

Taruranto

The towns are really nice, too bad you can't enter anywhere. :(

Also fuck off with this omniscient map Namco, let me explore the damn dungeons.

Skill/equipment system gets worse and worse the more stuff I get.

RPGCrazied

Finally got it. Man the CE is so beatiful, I really hope going forward all Tales CE keeps this structure. Though I do find the outer box quality dropped a little bit from the ToS CE, but I can overlook that. :) You actually get a color manual in the game case! And guess what else, CE DLC vocher. It includes the classic costume pack and other things, thing is I already got a code from gamestop. So what could I do with this other code?

100_1142.jpg
100_1146.jpg

100_1147.jpg
100_1148.jpg

Bladenic

Finally got it. Man the CE is so beatiful, I really hope going forward all Tales CE keeps this structure. Though I do find the outer box quality dropped a little bit from the ToS CE, but I can overlook that. :) You actually get a color manual in the game case! And guess what else, CE DLC vocher. It includes the classic costume pack and other things, thing is I already got a code from gamestop. So what could I do with this other code?

Give it to me cuz I didn't get one (even tho I pre-ordered last year lmao). Please :)

Flarin

The towns are really nice, too bad you can't enter anywhere. :(

Also fuck off with this omniscient map Namco, let me explore the damn dungeons.

Skill/equipment system gets worse and worse the more stuff I get.

Super big bummer. Let me raid random strangers' underwear drawers, Bamco!

Jobbs

Banned
I'm really liking it so far, though I don't think I'm that far yet that I can really make an informed opinion on things, just got Artemization or whatever it's called in the sewers. Then again I really like all Tales games and it usually takes alot for me to just straight up dislike a game, hell I even really enjoyed Graces, even if I wasn't hot on the story I really liked the characters (Pascal, Hubert and Crablettes (Sophie)). I think the only Tales game I didn't finish out of the ones I've played was Abyss, played it on 3DS, but the sub quests drove me insane on that one.

I am a huge fan of Symphonia and Vesperia, and those are the only two tales games I've finished (although I own several others, I've yet to play them).

I am a huge fan of Symphonia and Vesperia, and those are the only two tales games I've finished (although I own several others, I've yet to play them).

It might be worth mentioning that Zestiria's combat system is quite a bit different from the ones in Symphonia and Vesperia.

RPGCrazied

Anywho, the game is awesome so far. Finally a Tales game in 1080p with some AA, hard to go back now to the PS3 brethren. Only played like an hour maybe. In the first dungeon. But that skill system, yikes. I liked the other Tales games better, this looks confusing.

The american boxart is much nicer than the EU one & you get a hardcover artbook :( although, we got some cloth thingy ¬_¬.

bobohoro

9 hours in, the skill/equipment-system is horrible. And gets worse by the minute.
But Edna is pretty fun and the rest of the cast holds up as well for now. Battle system also opened up slightly and feels a bit better now. Went in with real low expectations and, while not blown away, Zestiria is pretty solid so far.

Sadly most Tales games are solid to good on their first half and more of a mess later on, so I'll remain skeptical.

RPGCrazied

Enjoying this a lot so far. Edna is great. Battles are fun, reminds me a lot of Graces which is fine because that was the best thing about that game.

Also, every time I watch the opening I get pumped to jump back in.

I hate reading OTs on GAF Because I always run into unmarked spoilers. Like the whole Alisha thing.

Agreed. I enjoy playing the game on one monitor and F5ing the OT on my other monitor to see how others are finding the game and to get other opinions and findings as I go along. There's something pretty cool about just playing the game in unison with many others, even if we're all playing single player.

That said, I was spoiled with that too and it's pretty annoying. I always find it a bit risky reading these threads, even if I don't click on the spoiler tags.

Bladenic

Well, I don't know if it would work for you, since you have the PS3 version? On the back of the voucher says PS4, so I don't know if its a cross platform code.

Oh DUH sorry I'm tired. And a peasant with the PS3.

Anyway, the one thing they need, I mean ABSOLUTELY NEED, to add next game is the ability to toggle costume music on or off. I want to wear the swimsuits but the battle theme is kinda annoying and I prefer the regular one. On the other hand it's kinda nice they got a swimsuit theme haha. I wonder if the school battle theme will be anywhere as amazing as Xillia's was.

Falk

that puzzling face
Lightning 2.0

I can think of a certain other female FF character which better fits this analogy.

EHEHEHE

I say as much in the article, but what really impressed and surprised me most in this port were the mouse/kb controls.

I still prefer playing this type of game in the "couch ecosystem" (which includes a controller and a huge screen), but they did a great job on the controls.

It's right up there with HDNReBirth/FFf/etc.

I'm forcing myself to play this to 100% cheevos this time around with M&KB just because of the novelty.

edit:

Oh man, I was laser-tunnelling on Sorey's shadow and wondering what I was missing hahahaha.

Fauve

Oh DUH sorry I'm tired. And a peasant with the PS3.

Anyway, the one thing they need, I mean ABSOLUTELY NEED, to add next game is the ability to toggle costume music on or off. I want to wear the swimsuits but the battle theme is kinda annoying and I prefer the regular one. On the other hand it's kinda nice they got a swimsuit theme haha. I wonder if the school battle theme will be anywhere as amazing as Xillia's was.

I think you can turn off the costume music. Next to the costumes is a music note and if you press L2 (or R2?) I think, it gets crossed out.

Stuart444

I really like the box of the EU CE.

But that smell on that cloth. Wow. It's rather strong. Even after being put away for a few days.

squadr0n

2 hours in and I have to restart completely. Fair warning, when you need to get into the festival you only get one chance to talk to the guard at the back door before needing to sell something important.

Peff

How exactly does one trigger the "sanctification" boon for items +10 or higher? I don't see anyplace to activate it.

First you need to get if from the Lord of the Land at level 4 IIRC and after activating it in the menu you had to physically visit the guardian in their city/village in order to use it.

2 hours in and I have to restart completely. Fair warning, when you need to get into the festival you only get one chance to talk to the guard at the back door before needing to sell something important.

I think in that case you get it back later on? I'm sure I mentioned others also sold it and it was later given back to them?

Droplet

If you sold the knife, you get it back later. Not sure about the other stuff.

artsi

Something important that you get back 5 minutes later. No need to restart.

Top Bottom