• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Ninman

So gaf, I want to buy this on Steam, but im not sure if i can run this, can I get decent framerate on a laptop with a i5-3337U and a geforce 740m with 1gb? also, do I need a gamepad?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I really can't wait to see what the Tales teams do if (when, hopefully) they can just focus purely on current gen systems. Sure, they're always going to be budget limited, but their art styles are really strong. That art could look pretty damn great if they just had a hair bit more tech behind it.

I think if Namco gave them more budget and didnt rush the games it they could be outstanding. I still want them to go back to celshading but they are improving their artstyle.

Stuart444

Ok for anyone who is wondering about this

the PS3 DLC costumes are separate downloads. The VOUCHER is all the costumes together for the PS3 version.

I know it's confusing but that's how they did it. Voucher = costumes for PS4, PS3 = separate downloads for the costumes.

Just going to quote this again for anyone who may be confused by the downloads for the pre-order costumes :)

I really can't wait to see what the Tales teams do if (when, hopefully) they can just focus purely on current gen systems. Sure, they're always going to be budget limited, but their art styles are really strong. That art could look pretty damn great if they just had a hair bit more tech behind it.

Well Berseria is still crossgen and it's not even confirmed for next year in Japan so have fun waiting until the end of the current generation. :p

yami4ct

Well Berseria is still crossgen and it's not even confirmed for next year in Japan so have fun waiting until the end of the current generation. :p

Well, I'm excited about Berseria having a Female MC, so you win some and you lose some. If that game somehow misses next year in Japan, that would seem insane to me.

Well, I'm excited about Berseria having a Female MC, so you win some and you lose some. If that game somehow misses next year in Japan, that would seem insane to me.

Not really, I'd like them to take their time and polish their upcoming Tales games instead, including Berseria. I hope they won't lock the animation to the framerate this time, at least.

PKrockin

Welp, I was wondering why the game wouldn't run in 1080p without dropping frames. Turns out it was running on integrated graphics the whole time even though I specifically changed Zestiria's preferences in the Nvidia control panel to make sure that didn't happen. Plug and play PC gaming! Now I've got everything maxed out and it looks very nice, I just have to switch between Nvidia and auto-select in Global Settings before and after I play.

Falk

that puzzling face
So gaf, I want to buy this on Steam, but im not sure if i can run this, can I get decent framerate on a laptop with a i5-3337U and a geforce 740m with 1gb? also, do I need a gamepad?

You really should have preordered just for free Symphonia. You could always refund if you can't get it to run satisfactorily in 2 hours.

Oh well :| You can still buy/test/refund but no more free Symphonia.

10 hours in, I've gotta say I'm not really feeling it. There's nothing about the game that I particularly dislike, but there's nothing that I really like either. I just feel so... bored when I'm playing. I'm going to give it a few more hours and see it if manages to get my attention. The only other Tales game I've played is Xillia, and I liked it quite a bit so I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe one Tales game per lifetime was enough for me.

aitakute

When will the other costume dlcs become available? I really want those school outfits. Also the blue exorcist too but I don't know if we're getting that.

10 hours in, I've gotta say I'm not really feeling it. There's nothing about the game that I particularly dislike, but there's nothing that I really like either. I just feel so... bored when I'm playing. I'm going to give it a few more hours and see it if manages to get my attention. The only other Tales game I've played is Xillia, and I liked it quite a bit so I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe one Tales game per lifetime was enough for me.

You are making me sad. I've played Xillia I, II and Vesperia which I consider great games. Symphonia on the other hand I didn't like much at all.

Dice//

Banned

I'm happy to say the more I "work" the battle system the more I enjoy it (maybe bump up the difficulty?).
It's lacking in a few ways but I'm at least having a good enough time of it to see it through.

Dice//

Banned
Any pointers? One of the things I loved about Xillia was the battle system, but for some reason I'm just not finding it as fun in Zestiria. It's possible I'm just doing it wrong.

Definitely more satisfying it to look at the weaknesses for monsters. Not only their element, but if they're a ghost-type, armored, apodous, beast, winged, etc. You can hit elemental weaknesses as well as martial-art related weaknesses that hit the specific TYPE on monster. This ensure way more damage, better chains, and faster build up of the Blast Gauge (which means even more ass-kicking options).

If you played Graces, combos work the same, the good news about Zesty is that it takes out some of the thinking for Artes. Attacks can be chained to target multiple enemy weaknesses.

Also: Timely dodges (this game is pretty generous with them) will help you SC gauge replenish.

Xillia is fun, but it's pretty 'lite' as far as the expectations of Graces/Zestiria which asks players to create combos and avoid enemy attacks to keep momentum going.
This game consciously prevents players from button mashing to victory. Even armitization gets weaker the longer you use it.

What the? Why do the items no longer have illustrations?

For a game so dependent on equipment, it's a real shame. :(

I'm not a jpop fan, so when I heard that Zestiria would not vocals in the intro theme, I was not fazed. But after actually listening to the theme without vocals, I checked out the jap version. Damn, it really blows that we didn't get that version.

Dugna

Heh the lightbar on the DS4 changes colors when you armatize, just did it with lailah and the bar turned whitesh pink.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Played for about 3 hours today and I'm mostly enjoying it so far. Decent premise, characters are tolerable not great, and the game looks nice while not giving me any errors or glitches.

My only complaint is that the opening is sooooooo slow. There must've been only 4 battles in the first 2 hours and the Arte system is quite slow to open up. People were not joking about the battle camera being god awful. I don't know how they could've messed this up but in door fights are just annoying. The item system is somewhat interesting and I want to see how it opens up.

I'm not a jpop fan, so when I heard that Zestiria would not vocals in the intro theme, I was not fazed. But after actually listening to the theme without vocals, I checked out the jap version. Damn, it really blows that we didn't get that version.

If you're on PC you can easily mod the Japanese intro theme into your game. However, Bamco has already patched the game so the file is now missing on PC as well. Fortunately, lots of people have already mod it and you can easily find the Japanese intro file on the internet.

Droplet

Played a little bit more, now have the Seraphim fuse thing. Still really shitty at fighting and spent for fucking ever fighting the water spirit dude, probably because he could regenerate health but I also felt like I was missing something.

How can I be not shitty at fighting? I'm pretty used to the not-Graces fighting system of spam and run away, and now I'm not really sure what's going on. My understanding is I can actually combo well somehow? And I should be guarding a lot and running away (but not free-running or side-stepping) in order to build up the combo meter thing?

Kensuke

Played a little bit more, now have the Seraphim fuse thing. Still really shitty at fighting and spent for fucking ever fighting the water spirit dude, probably because he could regenerate health but I also felt like I was missing something.

How can I be not shitty at fighting? I'm pretty used to the not-Graces fighting system of spam and run away, and now I'm not really sure what's going on. My understanding is I can actually combo well somehow? And I should be guarding a lot and running away (but not free-running or side-stepping) in order to build up the combo meter thing?

First of all make sure you are exploiting weaknesses. When you do, it shows as it as a 'power hit' in red. Every hit after that is a power hit for a while, including those of your team members. You can rack up big damage that way really quickly. Make sure you're using the right element armitization too, and all hits will be power hits. Exploiting weaknesses is also important because of status effects. Enemies weak to fire get the 'burn' status effect for example.

For combos you should be doing 3 hits, which you can then chain into an arte. So a basic combo would be circle, circle, circle, X (melee, melee, melee, arte). Use an arte the enemy is weak against so your next combo is full of power hits.

To keep doing combos you need to keep your SC high (the blue meter). Blocking gives you SC and depletes enemy SC. Same holds true for the reverse, don't hit a an enemy that's blocking, it will deplete your SC. Blocking gives you 5 SC for every hit.

Quick-stepping is an even better way to keep your SC high, if you can get the hang of it. If you dodge just before the enemy connects you get 30 SC. Dodge too early and you get nothing and spend SC instead. Sounds hard, but all enemies (even bosses) telegraph their hits in an obvious way. You can get the hang of it fairly quick.

Seven hours in and enjoying the game more than I thought I would. The fusion system is pretty cool and the gameplay is pretty much what I expected from a Tales game. Loving the preorder DLC costumes as well.

BONKERS

You're welcome to disagree.

edit2: Although a completely different culture, Bollywood falls into this categorization. It's far easier to appreciate Bollywood movies for what they are when left in their original language, whether Tamil, Hindi or whatever. Subs are fine. Dubbing... really turns them from something amusing and cultural into downright hilarious.

Which I fully do. :D

People are way too over critical and over analytical with VA way too much when it comes to games and anime. In both English and Japanese.

Got my stuff today. wooo

Nice. I decided not to order the CE after I got a bad seed with Tales of Symphonia. I didn't get all 4 figures. I ended up with 2 Collette's somehow...

Steam? Set V-sync to on, APPLY SETTINGS, then restart the game completely.

:(

Doesn't work. AT ALL. For me.

Forcing vsync doesn't work either as it creates constant judder.
EDIT: OK so, finally got it to work. I had to do this, but quit using the in game "Quit" button and not Alt-F4 my way out.

Thanks! Will update the PCGWiki with this.

Also:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5175770&postcount=3204

Full AA comparison for Nvidia cards is up.

Falk

that puzzling face
Doesn't work. AT ALL. For me.

Forcing vsync doesn't work either as it creates constant judder.
EDIT: OK so, finally got it to work. I had to do this, but quit using the in game "Quit" button and not Alt-F4 my way out.

despite contrary opinions you're secretly me

I was bad and that caught me the first time. In that I changed it to "on" then alt-F4'd.

I'm loving it so far. Just unlocked Armatization before bed.

I thought the game was going to be a lot worse based on all the nay saying.

Even the equipment stuff didn't turn out to be bad like people were saying imo. People made it sound like you would gimped since equipment only have a certain number of skills on them but they are just stat boost and passive/support effects.

All the additional battle functions you got from skills in the older games are in Battle Skills menu. And they are shared amongst your entire party as far as I can tell.

BONKERS

despite contrary opinions you're secretly me

image.php

Is probably true.

PKrockin

For combos you should be doing 3 hits, which you can then chain into an arte. So a basic combo would be circle, circle, circle, X (melee, melee, melee, arte). Use an arte the enemy is weak against so your next combo is full of power hits.
I've been finding that starting my combo with a hidden arte (X) or two and then following up with martial artes (circle) is pretty solid for dealing with crowds though since you don't stagger against martial artes when using hidden artes.

I'm playing some more right now and as I learn some of the many nuances of the battle and armatize system it's growing on me. And the bad camera angles I get every so often are still just solved by sidestepping once. It's not affecting me very much.

Mendrox

This is btw. the easiest coop Tales of. The game isn't made with two human players in mind that can coordinate attacks. As soon as you have two characters that can go Kamui (fusion) you are able to kill anything by spamming certain artes in rotation.

PKrockin

92 hit combo, hell yeah. I'm starting to get this game.

Mascot-looking character introduced, aw hell no please don't be a permanent party member please just be a side character please

This is btw. the easiest coop Tales of. The game isn't made with two human players in mind that can coordinate attacks. As soon as you have two characters that can go Kamui (fusion) you are able to kill anything by spamming certain artes in rotation.
That's every Tales game though? I mean in Symphonia for example I don't know what's stopping a Lloyd and Kratos from just alternating their three hit standard combo forever, or until the boss hits overlimit if they have one.

Layell

I do really wish Tales games would get their shit together with multiplayer and co-op

Xillia and now this games are quite limiting the full features you have once you go over two players. I did play Symphonia on gamecube with 4 players and it was a blast. Some extra AI and not limiting the combat mechanics with linking crap would be a serious boon.

EDIT: Also when do I get the cameo costumes, steam user here.

For those that have finished the game, I understand that you have to unlock the battle actions by performing a particular action X number of times. Are there any amazing Battle Actions that I should be actively working towards unlocking? Most of the ones I've unlocked so far are a bit helpful but none are really amazing outside of reviver. I'm about 20 hours in
currently exploring the depths of the Shrinechurch. Characters are level 32

Mendrox

92 hit combo, hell yeah. I'm starting to get this game.

Mascot-looking character introduced, aw hell no please don't be a permanent party member please just be a side character please

That's every Tales game though? I mean in Symphonia for example I don't know what's stopping a Lloyd and Kratos from just alternating their three hit standard combo forever, or until the boss hits overlimit if they have one.

Well it's just easier because the new big cc artes (like Blazing Storm? I don't know, that Lailah/Sorey arte which casts a huge firestorm) literally wrecks the enemy (bosses, gigantos) with ease. Now your coop buddy can just cast Arrow Rain all the time and everything is dead.

Maffis

If you pre-ordered, go to the rightmost section of the Items menu. They should be there as usable items for you to activate:
Am I stupid or what but i cant find a equip button. I can see the dlc but I cant see how to equip it.

kewlmyc

I hope it doesn't come out next year. I want them to take their time on a Tales game for once. They haven't done that in years.

Sarcasm

So where/how do I add a config for GeDoSaTo? Anybody wanna share? Is it really those two lines posted back a bit that enables downsampling?

Heyt

Banned
Problem: I redeemed/downloaded the artes DLC on PS4 while the game was running. Even if I restarted it they don't appear anywhere in the game or my downloads list. Any suggestions? I live in EU if that helps.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
About 10 hours in taking my time, playing on Combat Hard Difficulty, at the point where I'm about to go fix a bridge by climbing a mountain. I'm enjoying this a lot more than I expected, I kind of lowered my expectations before playing because of various word of mouth things I had heard from importers, but at least 10 hours in I'm quite enjoying it so far. It's a bit different than the Tales of Games I've played (I've only played Symphonia, Vesperia, Graces, and Dawn of the New World), the combat sort of 'stamina' system, the lack of things like magic points, the fact elemental usage actually plays a huge role in combat, and a lot of other minor and bigger things, is making it feel quite a bit different than the other entries I've played. But I don't dislike it. I think so far it's not the best of the series I've played, but I also am enjoying it and think it's a different sort of game from the entries I've played.

But I actually am liking the characters, they've grown on me personally the last few hours, English dub on, they're tropey but then the whole Tales series characters are, and they have some good developments and growing relations with each other, and I could see some being annoyed by some of the character quirks, but I've found them endearing. I also suspect this may play a role either, I know a lot of Japanese players were upset at the lack of Alisha in the game, but while she party hops in and out at times, so far she's actually played a pretty big role and has been in my party for extended periods of time. Also, personal opinion, of the Tales of games I've played, this one has my favorite soundtrack by far thus far.

Story is kind of basic thus far, but the characters have been carrying it for me well enough. Graphical quality ranges from some areas having very good art direction and some areas not looking great, but I like it overall. The game also has gotten more enjoyable the more it's opened up. I'll say the last four hours I've played have been more enjoyable than the initial six, but I didn't dislike the initial six hours either (but think it picks up after your first 'real' dungeon, and you learn the ability of how you can combine).

My thoughts will continue to develop, and I still know there's a lot I haven't encountered, but so far, from all of the complaints about Zestiria I had heard before it came to the West, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

In other words, I think the game is pretty cool.

0F0B4562DC062E9D6649058C3C2A066D676166C8

aravuus

Uhhh what the fuck, I've suddenly started using the field skills when I'm trying to move, like the game thinks the left stick is both the left stick and the d-pad. Gotta have something to do with how Win 10 works with DS4Windows, anyone got a fix?

e: wow i feel like a fucking idiot, i had the stick = d-pad profile on jesus christ lol

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also, I am sure it's been mentioned, but if you pre-ordered the game on Steam, switch around the character costumes for battles since each costume has a song set to it from previous Tales of games so it changes the battle and victory themes to the themes from that game. Is fun mix-up.

Fisico

I hope it doesn't come out next year. I want them to take their time on a Tales game for once. They haven't done that in years.

Except we have no idea how much time and staff are spent on each episode, for example Xillia 2 barely had half the staff Xillia have, meaning Zestiria was probably already in full production back in 2012 (and it was already mentionned that they began working on the game in 2011).

Seeing the credits of Zestiria, the lack of many key names usually credited and the amount of outsourced works, it's more than likely than Berseria began development way before the release of Zestiria (could be as far as early 2013).
"Taking their time" doesn't mean much, what matters is a tighter project management which oversees the whole development process and knows what to prioritize at which time.
My opinion is that it hasn't been done properly since Yoshito Higuchi left and the Bandai-Namco management are still unsure of how to do it ever since.

I do agree that Berseria announcement was way too early though, I can't see the game being released before late 2016 at best (and that's the deadline if they want this game to celebrate the supposed "20th anniversary" of the series).

Top Bottom