• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Yes, dodging counts as one of the places (I know the first one does, I don't know how it works mid combo). Like if you sidestep and then start attacking, you'll start from the second martial arts column for example

I'm really liking this game a lot, like most Tales games. I know what I'm getting when I play them. I have little to no problems with the characters or plot

The pacing however is really odd. It's gotta be the most egregious amount of "cutscene -> walk five feet -> cutscene" I've ever seen. I think it has to do with the map size and less battles that feels weird.

You should just follow this guide. SGSSAA would probably be better, but at the bottom (and throughout the post) there are various recommendations.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5175770&postcount=3204

Not too many it seems, you'll get some though as you progress. The game world also slowly opens up to optional exploration areas.

Thanks for the follow up, I will have to try the dsr mid range card I think with the gtx 760.

That is the native nvidia option correct? I am curious as to how it will handle. Also if I have the nvidia suite installed are there any other tuts on what to enable in game/ disable in game if I attempt this?

Yes, dodging counts as one of the places (I know the first one does, I don't know how it works mid combo). Like if you sidestep and then start attacking, you'll start from the second martial arts column for example

Oh, this is why Sorey sometimes stands there like a dope. Is this mentioned in-game somewhere? How long do you have to wait after a sidestep before the combo resets?

Oh, this is why Sorey sometimes stands there like a dope. Is this mentioned in-game somewhere? How long do you have to wait after a sidestep before the combo resets?

not sure, but now that you made me think of it, i wonder what quickly hitting block does? that might be a quick way to reset the combo to default, hmm...

Edit: dont know if it is mentioned in game, but i first noticed it looking up a move list for one of the characters on youtube because i wanted to see what he played like, and the person was showing off the attacks one by one by going attack, then dodge - attack for the second move, dodge - dodge - attack for the third, etc.

Arkeus

Edit: dont know if it is mentioned in game, but i first noticed it looking up a move list for one of the characters on youtube because i wanted to see what he played like, and the person was showing off the attacks one by one by going attack, then dodge - attack for the second move, dodge - dodge - attack for the third, etc.

Yeah, the game actually tells you that Doge-Doge-Doge-Spell is a nice thing, as each Dodge counts as an attack and so reduce the cast time.

My buddy thinks I am Crazy but does anyone think that Sorey got a small pair of breasts when he
first Armitized with Lialah?

Sorry for a poor picture it's a screen cap from a YouTube lets plays.

x4FAGvL.jpg

Kyougar

My buddy thinks I am Crazy but does anyone think that Sorey got a small pair of breasts when he
first Armitized with Lialah?

Sorry for a poor picture it's a screen cap from a YouTube lets plays.

x4FAGvL.jpg

I also first thought that he was getting female features when fusing with
Layla

Um, I think it's just pecs and the cape buckles cover the upper part (°_°)

He just doesn't have that Pectoral definition in his normal outfit haha. Also if you look at the red dots on his outfit in the chest there is a definate difference in how far the second from the bottom red dot comes out from the bottom and third from the bottom one.

Crevox

Does the dodge/sidesteps count as one of the 4 combo? ie.

Dodge -> Martial -> Dodge -> Hidden?

Should I also be using Armatization more? They say it takes up 1 BG but I didn't notice it.

Yes, it counts. So if you do:

Martial -> Hidden -> Martial -> ...

You have one action left. That can either be an attack, or, you could use it as a backstep to make yourself safe. You can also do:

Dash forward -> Martial -> ...

To instantly do the second attack of your martial combo. This can be very useful if the enemy is weak to it, so you instantly get power hits and a high stagger rate.

There are other uses as well, you just have to be creative. For example, dodging counts as an action in the combo, which means you can do:

Dodge -> Dodge -> Seraphic Arte

...which will greatly reduce the cast time of the Seraphic Arte, because each action preceding it reduces the cast time by -20%. The dodges are faster than attacking, and you can get the spell off much safer in many situations. Make these things work to your style.

For armatization, yeah, it takes 1 BG off of Sorey. If Sorey is dead, it takes it from the seraph he is partnered to, and it will revive Sorey. It's strong, and you can get a lot of grade from getting a high "total damage" in the top right of the screen with it, or by killing enemies with the Banish Blast. I personally don't use it often in regular fights, but it's a preference thing.

It's very powerful, but you don't always need it. The BG is great for Chain Blasts and eventually Mystic Artes, which offer even larger grade/drop rate bonuses. There's a lot that goes into when to decide to armatize. Find what works for your play style, and what will get you more grade/win fights easier. I personally don't use it very much, only when it comes to a tough fight as an emergency power boost, or when I feel I need to be stronger to handle the fight better. Since I primarily prioritize A-ATK because I exclusively play the seraphim characters, I make use of the spells of those forms often because that is my party's strong suit, which in itself has strong positives/negatives (great aoe clearing).

R0ckman

Now as I play more I can kind of see why fans are mad, despite me thinking Alisha is boring, there were a lot of jokes about Alisha being replaced by Rose and comparing them. I wonder if something happened later in development, this feels weird.

demidar

You can straight dump on someone if you're playing as a caster. You can dodge->dodge->spell then hold RT/R2 to spend a BG and reset your combo and gain 50 SP back, but you still keep your faster cast speed. You can get off 10+ spells in rapid succession.

You can straight dump on someone if you're playing as a caster. You can dodge->dodge->spell then hold RT/R2 to spend a BC and reset your combo and gain 50 SP back, but you still keep your faster cast speed. You can get off 10+ spells in rapid succession.

mwhahahaha
mwhahahaha
MWHAHAHAHAHAHA
yes i love borderline broken spell casting
did that alot in Xenoblade

squadr0n

Where do I get the Cowboy Hat if I didnt sell the pipe or knife to Rose before the ceremony? I read there should be a chest next to her that its in after getting the Shepard clothes but theres nothing close to her.

Or am I just out of luck?

Where do I get the Cowboy Hat if I didnt sell the pipe or knife to Rose before the ceremony? I read there should be a chest next to her that its in after getting the Shepard clothes but theres nothing close to her.

Or am I just out of luck?

You're fucked until NG+

Also, I'm pretty sure you only get the cowboy hat for the Pipe, not the knife.

Now bear the mark of shame forever that you don't look like THIS:

ff64378032.jpg

And I've since upgraded my appearance with the Sideburns attachment.

zulux21

i'd read through the thread but I am avoiding spoilers... so I appologize if this has been recently asked.

with the Alisha's Story Additional Chapter DLC, none of the links in the op work for the ps4 and I can only find it on the psn for the ps3 version in my NA PS store.

is there a way to get the ps4 version of this?

i'd read through the thread but I am avoiding spoilers... so I appologize if this has been recently asked.

with the Alisha's Story Additional Chapter DLC, none of the links in the op work for the ps4 and I can only find it on the psn for the ps3 version in my NA PS store.

is there a way to get the ps4 version of this?
IIRC the DLC is crossbuy or something. Should work for either.

At least I would assume so since the VIP corner codes seem to work for PS3 or PS4.

heiyu

for some reason i find myself being 30 lvls bellow every boss from now on, boss battles are like 10 minutes, is this normal? (playing on insane)

for some reason i find myself being 30 lvls bellow every boss from now on, boss battles are like 10 minutes, is this normal? (playing on insane)

Harder difficulties gives you way less EXP.

Easy, Normal, Moderate, Hard, Intense, Chaos.

EXP: 1x 1x 0.9x 0.75x 0.6x 0.4x
Gald: 1x 1x 1.1x 1.2x 1.3x 1.4x
Grade: 0.5x 1x 1.1x 1.2x 1.3x 1.4x
Item use cooldown: 2s 4s 5s 8s 10s 16s

heiyu

Harder difficulties gives you way less EXP.

Easy, Normal, Moderate, Hard, Intense, Chaos.

EXP: 1x 1x 0.9x 0.75x 0.6x 0.4x
Gald: 1x 1x 1.1x 1.2x 1.3x 1.4x
Grade: 0.5x 1x 1.1x 1.2x 1.3x 1.4x
Item use cooldown: 2s 4s 5s 8s 10s 16s

here i was thinking it was "insane"
still 0,6x is very low, no wonder i feel left behind in lvls
i dont remember the need to grind in a tales game before, oh well...

People shouldn't neglect charging.

You need the Battle Skills for them, which you unlock by charging in battle.

There are 3 levels once you have the Battle Skills unlocked.

Hold guard for 1 second to double the effectiveness of your next attack.

Hold guard for 1.5 seconds to increase your Blast Gauge by a certain amount.

Hold guard for 2 seconds to increase the stagger on your next attack.

This also gives you an opportunity to regain your SC while you're charging.

The 2 second charge is incredibly useful for staggering tanky bosses who don't really react to uncharged attacks most of the time.

I may have gotten the times wrong but whatever it tells you in the description anyway.

RPGCrazied

Played a couple more hours... man, the new systems just wont stop. Blast gauge, Armatization.

A question about new arts. I noticed that Sword Harrier is the only title that will gain proficiency? If I try to put it on Shepard it won't gain anything.

PKrockin

Title proficiency only increases when you level up with that title equipped, or by eating certain food at inns I hear.

And yep, charging is pretty useful.

Also, if you're having a hard time quick evading attacks, remember that you don't have to evade the first hit in an attack for it to count. Blocking one hit and quick evading the next can be a lot easier to time.

Ketkat

In case you didn't know, the mutant Hellions (glowy odd colored ones) drop Anomalous Orbs once they die. So be sure to go back and kill them whenever you can

Finally got to start this earlier today, really liking it so far. I met Edna and did the thing and now I'm in that other town.

I keep forgetting the equipment skill sheet thing even exists. Is it something I really really really have to bother with?

Sarcasm

Did they just allow DLC on family share?

I think so. I started the game and a new menu option popped up. Alisha's story. I was like odd. Than I check my steam library and I see a bunch of DLC!

Yes!

** Yep I see the items ingame!! omg! yes!

The fields in Rowlance area are pretty huge. :eek:
I kinda get a little Xenoblade vibes at times, tbh.

Also, I still didn't get Rose. She's kinda charming (I LOVE the English VA), but annoying at times too.

I've been generally okay with the AI so far, but the fight in the waterway after going to the palace was pretty frustrating. I was doing okay until she got to about half-health and started spamming Screw Driver. For some reason, Alisha was avoiding it pretty much every time, but Lailah somehow got stuck in a corner and just kept taking it to the face every time I revived her. Ugh.

Rpgmonkey

You can though. I mean, you can't do it on Chaos, but playing on hard is perfectly fine just fusing Haphazardly until postgame, and on a NG+ you'll quickly be able to have much more effective fusions.

Which is... the same as for Graces: you also DO need to fuck around with fusions rather heavily if you want to play on Chaos on your first playthrough.

I guess there is a big difference, and that's Graces' system was made so that going up a difficulty both increased your level and gear, which made each higher difficulty much less of an impact once oyu got used to it than in Zestiria, but that's more "Graces was a really easy game" than anything.

I'm assuming the average player isn't playing any of these games on the highest difficulty though. :p

But to use Vesperia as an example, learned skills are retained permanently and usually there was a correlation between the strength of the weapon and the power of the skill, so your collection of skills grew in versatility and quantity simply by getting and equipping newer, better equipment. Or Graces, where abilities learned from Titles were kept, and you unlocked titles by basically just playing the game and doing all kinds of stuff intentionally or unintentionally. Their core character progression system were specifically structured so you're practically guaranteed to build a collection of abilities as you progressed through the game without you even having to put a lot of thought into it.

In comparison, Zestiria's main skill/growth system isn't as organic with your progression through the game. Not only are the skills not retained permanently, a stronger weapon won't necessarily have "better" skills attached, nor is the game intentionally designed so you're 100% guaranteed to be lead down a path that will give you better skills and bonus skills as you go through the game. This isn't inherently bad as it gives it a lot more versatility since you have more control over when and where you can get certain things, and when you can do some new trick you clearly know what's causing it. But people who are more used to, or interested in, their characters getting better without too much tinkering on their part won't really get as nearly as strong a sense of progression from the game unless they bite the bullet and use it. Battle Actions and Titles kinda exist so you at least have some permanent abilities to use, but your collection of those grows pretty slowly and there's not a ton to begin with. The game isn't unplayable on lower difficulties if you don't use it much, but I'm not saying it's hard to avoid, more about how many previous games the main growth system correlated much more closely with where you were in the game.

To me Dualizing in Graces was more of an auxiliary growth system than the main one: useful on the higher difficulties and in the post game, but could be mostly ignored otherwise. Titles were where the bulk of your strength and progression was going to come from for the average player and like most Tales games, it was for that reason that it was made more accessible and developed more organically with story progression than the auxiliary ones. In Zestiria Synthesis appears to be the main growth system, it's the main one they were pushing back before the game released anyway, but it's handled like other games would handle their auxiliary growth systems, not their main one. It's not worse (though I admit I don't like it, lol), but it's definitely a different approach and I can see why people haven't reacted well to it.

Rhapsody

Banned
You can straight dump on someone if you're playing as a caster. You can dodge->dodge->spell then hold RT/R2 to spend a BG and reset your combo and gain 50 SP back, but you still keep your faster cast speed. You can get off 10+ spells in rapid succession.

I definitely do love casters in this game. It always confuses me when people complain that the casters are all sluggish characters.
They're not really all that clunky.

11 hours in and just found out who
the assassins are. I mean I kinda figured it was them but still.
The events leading up to that point were surprisingly gripping. This game's plot is really good. I don't remember liking the Xillia games this much... I liked them, sure but this one actually has my attention. If I didn't have work tomorrow morning I'd keep on playing lol.

Cornbread78

The game is really smooth to play, but something is off with my PSN copy, there is no way the textures are this bad, I mean, they are PS2 shiny bad right now. Seriously..

Top Bottom