• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Arkeus

I'm assuming the average player isn't playing any of these games on the highest difficulty though. :p
Yeah, that was my point: you don't need to muck with fusion much at all to play as a casual player.
But to use Vesperia as an example, learned skills are retained permanently and usually there was a correlation between the strength of the weapon and the power of the skill, so your collection of skills grew in versatility and quantity simply by getting and equipping newer, better equipment. Or Graces, where abilities learned from Titles were kept, and you unlocked titles by basically just playing the game and doing all kinds of stuff intentionally or unintentionally. Their core character progression system were specifically structured so you're practically guaranteed to build a collection of abilities as you progressed through the game without you even having to put a lot of thought into it.
... If you are talking about Skills, those are Battle Actions in Zestiria. Like, they are literally the same types as the Vesperia ones.

And, you know what? Getting Battles actions is way less obscure in Zestiria than in either Vesperia or Graces:
in Graces you either needed to use a walkthrough, be lucky or have the Titles be linked to the story.

In Vesperia, you need to use a lot of gold and a lot of grinding for ingredients, AND you have issues with knowing where the ingredients are without a lot of work.

In Zestiria... you are told what most of those requirements are, and you then decide if you want to make the effort. Also, you get some via Story too.

In comparison, Zestiria's main skill/growth system isn't as organic with your progression through the game. Not only are the skills not retained permanently, a stronger weapon won't necessarily have "better" skills attached, nor is the game intentionally designed so you're 100% guaranteed to be lead down a path that will give you better skills and bonus skills as you go through the game.
This isn't true though? I mean, if you don't muck a lot with fusion you are guarenteed to get stronger through randomly getting new weapons and fusing them randomly, as well as levelling up.

If you do muck a bit with it, you MIGHT get moments where you get weaker because you are losing a union, but that's all, and that's already "mucking a bit with it".

Battle Actions and Titles kinda exist so you at least have some permanent abilities to use, but your collection of those grows pretty slowly and there's not a ton to begin with. The game isn't unplayable on lower difficulties if you don't use it much, but I'm not saying it's hard to avoid, more about how many previous games the main growth system correlated much more closely with where you were in the game.
This is more untrue for Graces than Zestiria, though Vesperia was not bad about that.

Graces, however, had a lot of titles gated between random activations that severly increased one's power. Same for equipment. So someone with a walkthrough and someone without would have a DRASTIC difference in power really quickly. It was easy, by the time you left the initial Kingdom, to be almost as strong as a player in normal when coming back from the moon.
To me Dualizing in Graces was more of an auxiliary growth system than the main one: useful on the higher difficulties and in the post game, but could be mostly ignored otherwise. Titles were where the bulk of your strength and progression was going to come from for the average player and like most Tales games, it was for that reason that it was made more accessible and developed more organically with story progression than the auxiliary ones. In Zestiria Synthesis appears to be the main growth system, it's the main one they were pushing back before the game released anyway, but it's handled like other games would handle their auxiliary growth systems, not their main one. It's not worse (though I admit I don't like it, lol), but it's definitely a different approach and I can see why people haven't reacted well to it.
That's not what happens at all in Graces though...

Durante

In comparison, Zestiria's main skill/growth system isn't as organic with your progression through the game. Not only are the skills not retained permanently, a stronger weapon won't necessarily have "better" skills attached, nor is the game intentionally designed so you're 100% guaranteed to be lead down a path that will give you better skills and bonus skills as you go through the game. This isn't inherently bad as it gives it a lot more versatility since you have more control over when and where you can get certain things, and when you can do some new trick you clearly know what's causing it.
I would go as far as saying that it's not just not necessarily bad, it's actually a lot more interesting than the usual, quite linear, character and equipment progression in JRPGs.

Played for about 3 hours straight and I have the same opinions as those above.

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING: The story is a clusterfuck. What the fuck IS this shit?! Within the first 30 minutes or so of the game, you are basically told the entire story. [...]
I don't really agree with this. Yes, the story (so far) seems simple, but I feel that works as an advantage to the game compared to other Tales games I played. The big story twists and character betrayals (and un-betrayals) in those were often incredibly ham-fisted and forced, so Zestiria for me is more like realizing your limitations and working competently within those confines. Rather than trying to write and plot beyond your abilities.

Layell

Man... Do I build this bridge asap or not? Such decisions.

When I looked it up I was told the same cut scene plays, and no matter what one particular person will watch the building get done. Doing it right away apparently causes some grumbles of discontent by some NPCs.

Vex_

Banned
I got the
Fusion Talent

And lol @ Lailah

lailah is hilarious overall. <3 her.

Her blank stare is the funniest thing. I thought it was an animation mistake at first, but once I saw everyone else animating properly, I was like "lol why is she looking like that?"

I don't really agree with this. Yes, the story (so far) seems simple, but I feel that works as an advantage to the game compared to other Tales games I played. The big story twists and character betrayals (and un-betrayals) in those were often incredibly ham-fisted and forced, so Zestiria for me is more like realizing your limitations and working competently within those confines. Rather than trying to write and plot beyond your abilities.

Well you're a lot farther in the game than I am, so maybe I just need to play a bit more. I just dont understand what this story is trying to show me right now. I am a god who can command angels to fight with me? iunno. I just feel it could be written better/communicated better.

EDIT: OH! I wanted to mention another positive about this game! There are multiple ways to solve small quest things! That knife from you know who, that sword you could sell, that 1000 gald YOU COULD pay....or not.

Dope. Didnt expect to have to use my brain. Genuinely surprised a game like this had that. With jrpgs, there is usually only one way to solve things. Neat.

Kind of lost with lords of the land. Found the one by the old hideout, but apparently need to find a worshipper. Game gives no indication on where to do that. Next city
Lastonbell
, Rose is saying that I should look into sidequests to get the blessing restored but there isn't really a sidequest... just some rumors that HP nowhere.

When can I get these sorted? Feel like I'm wasting a bunch of time running around looking for these things.

Vex_

Banned
I'm on the fence here. Wanting to buy it, but keep hearing how its the worst in the series.

Whats so bad about it?

I am waiting to hit that bump I heard about the japanese release. Have yet to hit it. I am unsure what they are talking about. If it is the Alisha thing, I was prepared for it.

There is nothing else so far that I have come across that makes this the worst. I can only tell you based off of the tales I HAVE played that Graces F is by far the worse. While combat felt faster, everything else was ass ESPECIALLY the VA and story OMFG!

*I have played Symphonia, Graces F, Abyss, Eternia, Radiant Mythology, and now a bit of this. So my opinion may not be worth much.

I'm on the fence here. Wanting to buy it, but keep hearing how its the worst in the series.

Whats so bad about it?
It has to fall of a serious cliff to be the worst in the series. Nowhere near as annoying as Graces, not even comparable to Tempest, not as uninspired as Xillia, or a lazy as Xillia 2. I'm sure there are plenty of bad ones I haven't played as well. Zestiria is very average with a better than average main (sometimes).

Whats so bad about it?

I definitely don't think it's the worst in the series. My impressions after 22 or so hours are that it's very solid. I'd rank it at least above the original Xillia.

Abylim

It has to fall of a serious cliff to be the worst in the series. Nowhere near as annoying as Graces, not even comparable to Tempest, not as uninspired as Xillia, or a lazy as Xillia 2. I'm sure there are plenty of bad ones I haven't played as well. Zestiria is very average with a better than average main (sometimes).

I loved Graces f, loved Xillia, havent played Tempest, hell I even liked Legendia. I havent played Hearts yet, but own it.

I loved Graces f, loved Xillia, havent played Tempest, hell I even liked Legendia. I havent played Hearts yet, but own it.
Forgot to mention Legendia lol. Don't get me wrong, I like most of the series (not so much Tempest or Legendia, lukewarm on Graces) but there are shortcomings, or differences between titles. Like I said, Zestiria seems pretty average. I can believe something happens to turn opinion against it, but I would be surprising if anything worse than the flaws other games have crops up. If you've played so many of the other games in the series, I might think this would be a no brainer regardless, unless you've got enough other console RPGs to keep you busy. The field is only getting more crowded next year.

Anteater

I've only played vesperia but I love the sense of adventure in this one (so did I in ToV), I don't really give that much of a shit about the story and the lore so far, like I'm not looking for much but I just enjoy what the game takes me, and meeting new characters that are very likeble so far, it's pretty fun, maybe at some point it might get dull but I'm still looking forward to traveling to the next location.

I'm liking the group so far.

Vashzaron

Been playing on PC for like 20 hours total now, ran into 2 technical probs that I was wondering if anyone else has.

Sorey sometimes rarely T-poses for a split second in combat. Like when doing the Chain extension thing or when activating a mystic Arte.

The game "randomly locking up" after loading a sub section inside a City area, happened 3 times now. By that I mean I go through a section inside the city that requires loading, it loads the next part like everything is fine and music keeps playing but the game has stopped responding. (exe has stopped working.)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Whats so bad about it?

it' definitely nowhere near the worst of the game, in-fact, a subpar story aside the game is quite fun.

-NeoTB1-

Whats so bad about it?

As a long time Tales fan, I've found this entry to be FAR from the worst. It probably falls somewhere in the middle for me so far. Of course, YMMV.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yeah, I was going to say while I have less experience with the series as some, the game is much better than I thought it was going to be from some importer impressions. My general stance is I actually like the combat (playing on hard difficulty, it requires strategy while not being too difficulty and has some nice change-ups to the battle system than other Tales of), I like the characters (I think the main is up there for the entries in the series I've played, and I like all the supporting cast, with a few favorites, and unlike the other Tales of Games there's no member in the party I dislike more than the rest by a margin personally), the English voice acting is actually quite good in my opinion and I think the localized script is good (not a direct translation, but I feel that's perfectly fine in this instance and think the localization is good), the actual story is pretty average but is strengthened by likable characters, and I agree with the poster who talked about the sense of exploration. I like the locations and themes that have been cropping up the deeper I've gotten in.

Also, I think the music, some of the tracks especially, is up there with some of the best in the series.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, I was going to say while I have less experience with the series as some, the game is much better than I thought it was going to be from some importer impressions. My general stance is I actually like the combat (playing on hard difficulty, it requires strategy while not being too difficulty and has some nice change-ups to the battle system than other Tales of), I like the characters (I think the main is up there for the entries in the series I've played, and I like all the supporting cast, with a few favorites, and unlike the other Tales of Games there's no member in the party I dislike more than the rest by a margin personally), the English voice acting is actually quite good in my opinion and I think the localized script is good (not a direct translation, but I feel that's perfectly fine in this instance and think the localization is good), the actual story is pretty average but is strengthened by likable characters, and I agree with the poster who talked about the sense of exploration. I like the locations and themes that have been cropping up the deeper I've gotten in.

Also, I think the music, some of the tracks especially, is up there with some of the best in the series.
That's because Go Shiina is actually composing some of them.

Dusk Golem

That's because Go Shiina is actually composing some of them.

Yup, the Go Shiina music is amazing, but also I feel the other music tracks even not by them is quite good as well, with some stand-out tracks. I've noticed more of the music in the game than I have in the other Tales of Games I've played (I've only played Symphonia, Vesperia, Graces, and Dawn of the New World, and a bit of Abyss, however) and heard (I've listened to some of the other soundtracks out of curiosity before). I know this one was done by multiple composers from the series history, as well as artists for the characters, but I feel the game has an overall strong sountrack all-around, with some stands-outs being of course the Go Shiina music, but like... Some of the Overworld/Dungeon music, or cutscene music, has also been very, very good.

Bladenic

Sorey is actually a pretty great protagonist thus far. I don't recall really hearing much about him import wise, positive or negative. I like him more Asbel, Luke, and Jude so far. He's no Yuri but nobody is.

Fisico

Whats so bad about it?

I can't see any metric where Zestiria could be the worst of the series, people saying that (if they exist ?) probably didn't play much outside of a few titles.
It's far from stellar and I don't think anyone would rank it as the best episode so far either though.

Dusk Golem

Sorey is actually a pretty great protagonist thus far. I don't recall really hearing much about him import wise, positive or negative. I like him more Asbel, Luke, and Jude so far. He's no Yuri but nobody is.

I didn't either, I'm partially wondering if maybe there's some big difference between Japanese him and English him or something. I know in Japanese he's voiced by a fairly common Japanese VA (I don't know who he is but even I recognized his voice immediately as someone I've heard before), while in English he is actually voiced by a relative newcomer to the VA scene with this being his first major role. He voices him well, and the character from my perspective is likable in the sense that he's the "Innocent Protagonist from the Country", but he's not dumb or super slow or anything, he catches onto things pretty quickly actually, but feels the weight of his responsibility and takes it serious, while understanding others pretty well and cares for others, and for better or worse wants to help carry others burden's with them. Also is enthusiastic for his interests and can talk excitedly about it. And the relationships he forms with the other party members is fun to watch as well.

Stuart444

Whats so bad about it?

Yeah, I've not heard anyone say it's the worst in the series. Even ignoring spin-offs (along with the demoted Tempest).

It's a mixed title, that's for sure, some like it, some don't but I've not heard anyone outright say it's the worst in the series.

As someone who plays a lotta Tales games, yeah this is nowhere close to bad. But then again I disliked Symphonia and Abyss is my favorite so take my opinion with a gram of salt

I like it a lot better than The Abyss. But to be fair, I mostly played the choppy/low frame rate version on 3DS and didn't get terribly far.

The battle system is among the best, IMO. Armitization is really fun, and it opens up a lot more room for strategy. It's also the first Tales game where switching characters actually makes sense and doesn't feel like a "cheap" move you can do to win battles.

However, I kind of feel like Tales games became steadily more low budget since Graces. I really miss the item pictures. :( Also, overworld and dungeons feel like sparse areas and corridors that might as well be randomly generated, more so than Xillia. I didn't get far into the game enough, though, so maybe I'll feel differently later.

That said, the battle system is enough to make me really enjoy the game a lot.

Lexad

NOTHING will be as bad as Legendia. That was a lazy ass game

Nearing the end of the game, about to enter
Camlan
. The soundtrack is so good. It still has the problem where a lot of the music sounds like Generic Tales of Music #1000, but there are some real stand outs. The trials music and endgame
Glaveid Basin and onwards
being real standouts. Sorey is a great protagonist as well, don't have many complaints about him. Cast overall is good too. Even Dezel who is by far the least interesting character has gotten some good moments. Edna is the best.
Most of the problems I have with the game are the equipment skill system and how you don't get stat boosts when you level up. Also with how stupidly transparent the game is regarding LATE GAME CHARACTER SPOILER
Dezel leaving the party and Zaveid taking his place. Zaveid himself says that he'll fit the "Dezel shaped hole in your group"
I can't hear Symmone as anything other than Nepgear doing a creepy evil voice. It's pretty amusing.

What is the name of the side-quest that
allows you to stop paying for the fast-travel
?

Also, game started VERY slow for me, but the game is really good now :) Battle system fusion system is so great and actually adds depth to it. I'm still not a fan of the skills/equipment situation though, so I just decided to just buy whatever the highest weapons/equipment for my characters and not stress out with the skills system.

^ I'm not going to quote you to avoid spoilers, but yes, Motoi Sakuraba has one of the most distinctive sounds ever.

I watched a friend play Star Ocean 4 several years back and was like, Why does this sound like a Tales game? Sakuraba.

I played Mario Golf once, and half the time I was wondering why I kept thinking of Tales of Destiny, and it turned out, yes, Sakuraba. It's uncanny. I listened to the music in all the Mario Golf and Tennis games after that, and track after track, I was blown away by how they basically reminded me of JRPGs instead of sports games...

But it turns out that he's still really good, at least IMO. He has some of the best music in Smash 4.

Bladenic

^ I'm not going to quote you to avoid spoilers, but yes, Motoi Sakuraba has one of the most distinctive sounds ever.

I watched a friend play Star Ocean 4 several years back and was like, Why does this sound like a Tales game? Sakuraba.

I played Mario Golf once, and half the time I was wondering why I kept thinking of Tales of Destiny, and it turned out, yes, Sakuraba. It's uncanny. I listened to the music in all the Mario Golf and Tennis games after that, and track after track, I was blown away by how they basically reminded me of JRPGs instead of sports games...

But it turns out that he's still really good, at least IMO. He has some of the best music in Smash 4.

Well yeah, most composers have a distinct sound that's their own. Sakuraba does have some reusage issues but when he brings it, he brings it hard. His Tales comps are usually samey because they don't allow him much flexibility nor time, although I think every game tends to have some standouts from him.

I like it a lot better than The Abyss. But to be fair, I mostly played the choppy/low frame rate version on 3DS and didn't get terribly far.
IIRC the 3DS version runs better than PS2

NOTHING will be as bad as Legendia. That was a lazy ass game
I meant to mention Legendia and forgot. But Tempest is worse by a long shot. And Graces is still way more dumb as far as narrative.

MSMrRound

Eh, reactions from the Japanese crowd was a bit overblown if you ask me. The game's pretty enjoyable thus far (party member spoiler!)
even if I like Alisha's design and wished she could be a perm member,,,

Listen to eternal sonata's soundtrack. I believe it's his best work.

tauke

Oh dear that battle with Zaveid (sp?) is crazy hard on hard difficulty.

Forced myself to knock down to Moderate difficulty for that battle after getting owned for nearly 30 mins.

So far I'm enjoying the game a lot and a word of advice for those planning to use 8x SGSSAA, it can be pretty demanding in some scenes hovering 90-100% of GPU usage on my GTX 780

Have to knock down to 4x SGSSAA to lower down the GPU usage to around 50-60% on peak load as I hate hearing the GPU fan revving up like a vacuum cleaner.

So I was thinking of getting this or disgaea on ps4. Just beat DQHs. I like both type of games. Thoughts on which one I should get? Just looking for something until Fallout 4.

Vex_

Banned

All I needed was for the protag to not be annoying, and not have annoying friends. They succeeded. The character interactions look... weird tho. Like uncanny weird. I think it is the mocap. The animations look too real for anime characters lol. Not a bad thing, just weird.

No crashes yet, but that one guy in this thread was saying he was getting some in towns? I got none yet.

i54690

I do get a weird graphical glitch when pausing the game (not menu with Y button, but pause). It looks like the world behind the pause menu is warping and it is kinda scary :/

Oh dear that battle with Zaveid (sp?) is crazy hard on hard difficulty.

Forced myself to knock down to Moderate difficulty for that battle after getting owned for nearly 30 mins.

Did you have to fight him all the way down to 0? When I fought him at the Spiritcrest, I only fought him for about 5 mins until the battle ended in a cutscene. Or do you have to fight him again later?

I wanted to play this hearing that it doesn't have a garbage cast like Graces, but I just can't get past that Graces-style battle system. I hated Graces combat so much that I know spending money on this one would ultimately be a regret because it's basically the same framework. And Berseria's MC looks like an edgelord with a stupidly skimpy costume. I miss playing Tales so much though. :(

Been playing this on PC. Never been a Tales fan but I seem to get a lot of them just because I often lower my standards for JRPGs. It's decent enough--I think Vesperia is a lot better so far. What's most surprising is that it doesn't look as good as that game, despite being a lot newer. The character models look nice but the environments are very barren and sometimes look like they're out of a PS2-era game. Graphics are serviceable, though, so it's not a big deal--just surprising. The super saiyan transformations are really neat though, and I imagine we can all agree that the wind one looks the best.

There are some technical issues. I have to set my audio output to stereo (like my drivers, not in-game) or the game crashes. Some weird graphical glitches at times, where random geometry gets plastered all over the screen. Aspect ratios other than 16:9 get stretched or squashed so I just play with black bars instead.

Top Bottom