• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Ryne

Yup, the PC patch has removed the ability to play the JP opening.

A bit disappointing, but I had my feelings that they would do this.

Shepard

I wasnt impressed with the earlier screenshots of the game, but damn it looks downright gorgeous in some areas. I'm in
Lastonbell
right now and some parts just look like a real anime, specially with the pristine IQ at higher resolutions. Color me impressed.

R0ckman

Haha I LOVE ToD2j. One of my favorites next to TotA. Such a brutal system that really made you work for those victories and grade. All hail Tatsuro Udo. I should prefer this over Vesperia if anything, even if its lacking compared to Graces.

Yuck, forgot about the grade system. The grade system was harsh in that game too. I think the ToDr was the best battle system really. ToD2 was such an awful game all around to me, very fanfictiony writing and felt like a cash in on ToD's success. It doesn't appear much in references outside of Judas cameos
and typically they chose to use Leon over him anyway since the retcon of ToDr Leon basically made Judas irrelevant.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I read that the surround problem of no voices isn't fixed yet. Hoping it's not far off, but good to know they're working on these issues.

the patch kills the JP opening :(
Nooooo.

Hope someone comes up with a quick workaround.

edit: looks like this might work, but I can't test it until later.

edit 2: whoa, the thread was deleted. They're serious about this. I'm still going to try what was posted there later, but I'm not sure if we should talk about it openly in here anymore.

Played for around 8 hours and got to that area across the broken bridge. It's okay so far. The game looks pretty nice and I'm liking the story/characters. The game feels a bit too easy on Hard even though I've only fought the enemies along the way and occasionally skipped a few here and there. Maybe it's my equipment/skills? I'm not sure. I haven't unlocked the higher difficulties so I can't really increase it unfortunately. I'm sort of enjoying the battle system but the regular enemies die really fast, so I don't get a lot of time in battle besides boss fights.

I think I might be at the same place you are (I just beat
Ouroboros
at Griflet Bridge) and my impressions of the battle system are more or less the same as yours. I remember it being this way in Xillia and Graces F, too: in theory, the random battles aren't challenging in and of themselves, the challenge comes from having to conserve enough resources so you can beat the boss at the end. In practice, ehh, not so much, especially with the snack-making and the HP-maintaining abilities. Hopefully that'll change later.

I read that the surround problem of no voices isn't fixed yet. Hoping it's not far off, but good to know they're working on these issues.

Nooooo.

edit 2: whoa, the thread was deleted. They're serious about this. I'm still going to try what was posted there later, but I'm not sure if we should talk about it openly in here anymore.
Them being weird about doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it, imo.

LegatoB

Nooooo.

I don't see any reason why we need to respect what Bamco chooses to delete on the Steam forums.

LegatoB

Bamco, it's cool if you gotta remove the file after accidentally including it, that could get you guys in Contract Trouble, I understand. Patching in a hash check that affects only a handful of hardcore fans? Don't you have more important things to do?

Fuu

This was the workaround that was posted in that deleted Steam thread, I haven't tested it yet:

Seems they just disabled that specific file from playing. If you have the Japanese opening, just download RAD video tools, select the English OP, then "Mix in sound", then select Japanese opening as sound file, click on "Mix", and use the file it outputs as the opening. You'll get a file with the English video and Japanese audio and it works ingame. (Thanks to Fruity for this fix)

If a mod thinks we shouldn't be talking about this here for any reason, please delete this post. Don't kill me!

LegatoB

This was the workaround that was posted in that deleted Steam thread, I haven't tested it yet:

If a mod thinks we shouldn't be talking about this here for any reason, please delete this post. Don't kill me!
Hahaha, this totally works! And here I thought they'd whitelist the "correct" video -- looks like they just blacklisted the "wrong" one. Smart!

Hikami

Here's another fix that I saw on Gamefaqs, pretty easy and quick to do. Just tried it and yep, JP opening plays.

I figured a very simple method to get the JPN OP back. Insert 4 bytes at the end of the file with a hex editor and it will work again. I simply pasted the same 4 bytes at the end "FFFFFF01". I watched the full OP and it's 100% clean, no glitch, nothing.

Stuart444

Probably an order from Bamco Japan. I imagine the US/EU offices would know that this is bound to happen while Japan are like "Wait, what are people doing? We could get into trouble. SHUT IT DOWN" or something.

Skulldead

The cowboy hat thing start to get me crazy, i did everything the guide said to me. I talk Rose after i give the
Pipe
and it's still no give me the Hat. Do i have to wait much later in the game to get it? i'm after the
Thank you scene

Fuu

The cowboy hat thing start to get me crazy, i did everything the guide said to me. I talk Rose after i give the
Pipe
and it's still no give me the Hat. Do i have to wait much later in the game to get it?
It's after the deal with the
Shepherd ceremony
and before you go to the
aqueduct dungeon
. She and her guild friend will be at the market square and the hat will be in a box close to them.

Skulldead

It's after the deal with the
Shepherd ceremony
and before you go to the
aqueduct dungeon
. She and her guild friend will be at the market square and the hat will be in a box close to them.

The box, i should i've know, he said it...Thank you very much !!!

Arkeus

I can see why the system can be interesting, but this is my impression of why it's probably the main thing about the game players have been reacting negatively towards. People seem to prefer when the main character progression system in a Tales game has more permanence and can be "automated" to some degree. You can't really let the equipment system run on cruise control and expect a bunch of new, good stuff to just pop up on its own (and stay there once you've gotten it) like you could with the progression systems in almost all of the previous games.

You can though. I mean, you can't do it on Chaos, but playing on hard is perfectly fine just fusing Haphazardly until postgame, and on a NG+ you'll quickly be able to have much more effective fusions.

Which is... the same as for Graces: you also DO need to fuck around with fusions rather heavily if you want to play on Chaos on your first playthrough.

I guess there is a big difference, and that's Graces' system was made so that going up a difficulty both increased your level and gear, which made each higher difficulty much less of an impact once oyu got used to it than in Zestiria, but that's more "Graces was a really easy game" than anything.

jrcbandit

I'm confused about this whole thing. Why does anyone care if the JP opening is there or not? Do you watch the opening every time you play or something?

I watched the Vesparia opening quite a bit... Not every time I played the game, but if it is cool animation + a nice song, then I will watch it a number of times.

I feel like I'm playing this wrong- I'm just spamming the normal martial attacks.

I'm currently still in early game at
the point after rebuilding the bridge foundation and I've just cheesed the hell out of the assassin boss.

Is there any tips and tricks I should be utilizing? Like maybe using more Armatization? And how does the combo between martial and hidden artes work? Does it stop after you use a hidden art?

Crevox

At the start (where you are) you are allowed a combo of 4 artes.

So that could be any combination of Martial, Hidden, and Seraphic. For example:

Martial -> Martial -> Hidden -> Martial
Hidden -> Hidden -> Martial -> Martial

...etc. Doing more of one arte boosts the other. For example, if you do 3 martials than 1 hidden, that hidden will be boosted (more dmg/stagger), and vica versa.

You can increase your combo limit higher by using skills like Chain Blast (it's a battle action) or getting equipment skills like Ekseed.

Kyougar

also posting here:

I'm stuck at Landon. The display says I should hold Down r and leftclick after a combo for a mystic Arte. Ill do that (after 3 or 4 hits but either nothing happens or i do the selfheal)

At the start (where you are) you are allowed a combo of 4 artes.

So that could be any combination of Martial, Hidden, and Seraphic. For example:

Martial -> Martial -> Hidden -> Martial
Hidden -> Hidden -> Martial -> Martial

...etc. Doing more of one arte boosts the other. For example, if you do 3 martials than 1 hidden, that hidden will be boosted (more dmg/stagger), and vica versa.

You can increase your combo limit higher by using skills like Chain Blast (it's a battle action) or getting equipment skills like Ekseed.

Does the dodge/sidesteps count as one of the 4 combo? ie.

Dodge -> Martial -> Dodge -> Hidden?

Should I also be using Armatization more? They say it takes up 1 BG but I didn't notice it.

Top Bottom