• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Yup. Seems like most bosses just take turns hitting each seraphim a couple times in rotation.

I'm getting the impression that Bosses attack a Seraphim in priority when the Boss resist that Seraphim's element, as it seems to mostly happens to those particular fights.

I knew it. I fought the plant boss four times and noticed in three out of four attempts that he'd basically run through my seraphims like he had an ordered list of asses to beat while I was trying to wail on him. Haven't noticed if element resistance plays into it, but I'll keep an eye out.

R0ckman

I do seem to be targeted less than my other party members, though that might just be confirmation bias. Maybe it was a mistake to turn on the guard appeal battle action in conjunction with the Focus on Counterattacks and Watch Health strategies.

No, this is frequently happening to me, at least when I use Sorey and I have no gaurd battle actions on. When I'm fighting bosses it is glaringly obvious, they let me beat them and combo them to hell but refuse to target me, only going for Rose or others.

I feel like when I tweak with the commands the computer is actually really good in harder modes, I've gotten through bosses with me and my seraph dead for maybe 30-60 seconds and by the time I revive the computers have already taken 50%-75% of its remaining health away.

Stuart444

Ok, just want to double check.

To learn artes, I must use a title that isn't MAX proficiency right? As in, I should change the title right away if I want to learn the next Arte it says I can learn?

Just checking.

Rising_Hei

That's why I'm asking, because if it isn't better than Symphonia (by todays standards) it's not worth playing :p

It is a much better game, the cast is more enjoyable (i hated most of the cast of Symphonia) and dungeons & battle are fun this time around, also there isn't a character that keeps getting kidnapped the whole time.

I know symphonia is so beloved, but i liked Abyss way more... Luke was annoying but that had a purpose. Zestiria's plot is simple but you can feel that it was made with love, it talks about very positive things without feeling dumb, i can see how this game could help some people beat depression and such :>

Played 25 hours or so, and for me, right now... for those Tales of i played a lot since the GC-PS2 era...

Abyss >>>>>>>>> Vesperia >>> Zestiria>>>> Symphonia>> Xillia >>> Xillia 2 >>>> Legendia >> Graces F

So the best one since Vesperia, an step if the right direction, everything new they attempt is refreshing, the overworld, dungeon design, how quests and the content is managed... the only bad thing about this game's gameplay is the fusion system imo :> if Berseria has Zestiria as its base and improves further we'll get a pretty good game and could be awesome if they manage to pull another Abyss-like plot. Oh, and we also got an awesome OST after ages

Dude Guy

Is it just me or do bosses mercilessly attack seraphim? I'm not having much trouble defeating them or moderate, but I always end up with a few seraphim K.O.s (and a hefty grade penalty) since the bosses don't even seem interested in going after me. It's also annoying since it takes just a few hits from a boss to knock out someone.

Isn't there a battle action that will force enemies to attack you if you guard? You could try equipping that

My only gripe about the Skill system is that you can only fuse items with the same name.

Or does that go away at some point?
It stays like this the whole time... almost.
There are a few pieces of equipment only that are able to get differently named ones to fuse with.
They are unique and found in the end game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It is a much better game, the cast is more enjoyable (i hated most of the cast of Symphonia) and dungeons & battle are fun this time around, also there isn't a character that keeps getting kidnapped the whole time.

I know symphonia is so beloved, but i liked Abyss way more... Luke was annoying but that had a purpose. Zestiria's plot is simple but you can feel that it was made with love, it talks about very positive things without feeling dumb, i can see how this game could help some people beat depression and such :>

Played 25 hours or so, and for me, right now... for those Tales of i played a lot since the GC-PS2 era...

Abyss >>>>>>>>> Vesperia >>> Zestiria>>>> Symphonia>> Xillia >>> Xillia 2 >>>> Legendia >> Graces F

So the best one since Vesperia, an step if the right direction, everything new they attempt is refreshing, the overworld, dungeon design, how quests and the content is managed... the only bad thing about this game's gameplay is the fusion system imo :> if Berseria has Zestiria as its base and improves further we'll get a pretty good game and could be awesome if they manage to pull another Abyss-like plot. Oh, and we also got an awesome OST after ages

Okay, one final question. Are there any ice-sliding puzzles? Probably gonna snag this one off of GMG, 22% coupons are nice.

TheFatMan

I really feel like the equipment system in Zestiria is by far the most interesting out of any Tales game I've played.

It's not really that complicated, but sufficiently so that equipment selection and management comes down to more than just "hey I'm in a new town, let's buy incremental upgrades for everything!".

This is how I feel about it. I hear a lot of people complaining about it. But honestly for the first time in awhile I actually have to think about my equipment choices in a Tales game.

The taunt block thing just makes enemies that are already attacking you attack more frequently so you can get more quick dodges in.

Ok, just want to double check.

To learn artes, I must use a title that isn't MAX proficiency right? As in, I should change the title right away if I want to learn the next Arte it says I can learn?

Just checking.

I think whatever title you select, you will learn the arte next that is listed. If you have MAXed out a title, I think you should change to another one so that can get proficiency levels for it.

But more importantly, where does it rank when Eternia is added? Also just two hours in and it is not better than Graces F.

I felt the combat was the only redeeming quality about the game

the combat in graces is amazing. can't take any opinion that says graces had bad combat seriously.

As for zesty... i'm not really feeling it so far. In xillia i took a liking to jude rather quickly but sorey and his DREAMS are not clicking. Still super early so idk

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The problem with Zesty's plot is that none of the things that you actually do or accomplish feel like have tangible effects on the world or to the game's narrative as a whole. For example, in Graces, when Emeraude betrays you, there is a drastic result. When you leave Lhant there's a result. Even in Xillia 1 and 2 that exists as well. In Zestiria there is a clear objective in mind but none of what you do really contribute or work towards that. Well... at least for the first 3/4s of the game lol .

Arkeus

The problem with Zesty's plot is that none of the things that you actually do or accomplish feel like have tangible effects on the world or to the game's narrative as a whole. For example, in Graces, when Emeraude betrays you, there is a drastic result. When you leave Lhant there's a result. Even in Xillia 1 and 2 that exists as well. In Zestiria there is a clear objective in mind but none of what you do really contribute or work towards that. Well... at least for the first 3/4s of the game lol .

Pretty much everything you do has a drastic result both on the world, the character and the thematic.

Are you somehow missing the thematics of the game or something?

I am also a bit confused by what drastic result there is from Emerauld betraying you (it literally does nothing) or leaving Lhant....

Stuart444

Just defeated
the female assassin
. I forgot how tough that fight was but Edna fusion too powerful <3.

Also about 10 minutes away from where I got to in the Japanese version so almost into new territory now :D

Kasumin

This is how I feel about it. I hear a lot of people complaining about it. But honestly for the first time in awhile I actually have to think about my equipment choices in a Tales game.

I don't really see the benefit of that to the player, though. Since the beginning Tales games have been action RPGs that focused on combat. And from maybe Eternia onward, battles gave the player options for getting combos off on enemies/bosses.

All Zestiria's system is require the player to spend more time in the menu. Whereas, as other sin this thread have mentioned, past games had systems that progressed naturally as the game went on and didn't require too much time from the player if the player just wanted to use the basics of the system.

All Zestiria does is make you spend more time in the menu scratching your head over Skills. In a series that's supposed to be about action-filled battles, I don't really see that as an improvement. Heck, Zestiria even keeps track of your in-menu time so you can check just how much game time you've spent in the menu.

I was about to mention how much I love that the dungeons in Zestiria aren't too long and boring, but then I stumbled upon the curch dungeon in Pendragon. Lots of deadends and backtrackings.

Rising_Hei

Okay, one final question. Are there any ice-sliding puzzles? Probably gonna snag this one off of GMG, 22% coupons are nice.

Haven't found one yet and i don't think there are any, puzzles are pretty straightforward, for some you gotta pay some attention but that is

But more importantly, where does it rank when Eternia is added? Also just two hours in and it is not better than Graces F.

I don't drag Eternia into the equation because i couldn't finish it :eek:. For some people Zestiria's skill system is a powerful downside but i never paid much attention to it anyways, it's a drag yes, but the other aspects of the game are really positive after many Tales of being labeled as lazy (the game gets better after you go on, imo)

kayos90

Pretty much everything you do has a drastic result both on the world, the character and the thematic.

Are you somehow missing the thematics of the game or something?

I am also a bit confused by what drastic result there is from Emerauld betraying you (it literally does nothing) or leaving Lhant....

The theme of the game is overcoming the world's malevolence and defeating the Lord of Calamity. What does you going to war do? Absolutely nothing. Sorey's involvement really changed nothing and the game doesn't even take the time to let you feel its impact. Same can be said for Sorey letting new party members enter the team, or the scorn of the people. None of the things that happen contribute to the game's central story and theme. It's just a bunch of random people doing things "just cuz" for literally 3/4 of the game without seeing the fruits of your labor. You're picking fruit off the wrong tree.

I just started this game and got up to the point where you can Armatize with Mikleo and I'm enjoying it so far. Right now I'm just grinding, though I'm not sure that I'm doing the equipment fuse thing correctly. I will run to the back of the ruins from Ladylake fighting every monster, run back to Ladylake, buy/fuse everything I can without much thought put into it, and rinse/repeat. I've also gotten a couple things blessed by that lord of the land whats-his-face, which I'm also not sure I should do immediately after getting a +10 item. Is there something with fusing that I should pay more attention to? Or is what I'm doing good enough? Also right now I have it on the moderate difficulty and I've for the most part breezed through what little I've done and I've thought about shoving it up to hard.

R0ckman

The theme of the game is overcoming the world's malevolence and defeating the Lord of Calamity. What does you going to war do? Absolutely nothing. Sorey's involvement really changed nothing and the game doesn't even take the time to let you feel its impact. Same can be said for Sorey letting new party members enter the team, or the scorn of the people. None of the things that happen contribute to the game's central story and theme. It's just a bunch of random people doing things "just cuz" for literally 3/4 of the game without seeing the fruits of your labor. You're picking fruit off the wrong tree.

They let you know that from the very beggining when he becomes the shepard, they even tell you why. He CAN'T do things to such an extent that cause major changes to mankinds routine. He basically has to work as the world's spiritual janitor as he travels the world and does what he wants.

kayos90

They let you know that from the very beggining when he becomes the shepard, they even tell you why. He CAN'T do things to such an extent that cause major changes to mankinds routine. He basically has to work as the world's spiritual janitor as he travels the world and does what he wants.

I understand that. Having said that, it still doesn't excuse the feeling you get in the game.

I think my favourite comedy moment so far is when
Lailah makes a pun in the Pendrago church and Dezel starts cracking up behind the group followed by the others noticing while Sorey was talking to someone (can't remember who).

It wasn't really the pun on its own but more the fact that Dezel found it funny despite his fierce demeanour. I really liked that

Arkeus

Going to war is a huge plot point for Sorrey: It's about him learning why he cannot influence the world that way, and it's about continuing his journey into understanding what's a shepherd.

The themes of the story are about a°) Personal conviction, b°) Personcal convictions being a lesser part of harmony with other people/the world.

This is why Sorrey constantly is hammered with "you can't do it alone", and he musn't ever choose to think that HE can change the world by himself. The whole story is about learning what makes one gain Malovences, and Sorrey making sure he is ready to fight against it.

So, yes, him going to war was a HUGE deal. Likewise, Alisha leaving was a splendid arc.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I think my favourite comedy moment so far is when
Lailah makes a pun in the Pendrago church and Dezel starts cracking up behind the group followed by the others noticing while Sorey was talking to someone (can't remember who).

It wasn't really the pun on its own but more the fact that Dezel found it funny despite his fierce demeanour. I really liked that

Meow

Dynasty8

So what's the overall GAF verdict with no spoilers...?

On a scale of 1-10 for gameplay, story, characters, music, and overall?

kiryogi

Banned
Going to war is a huge plot point for Sorrey: It's about him learning why he cannot influence the world that way, and it's about continuing his journey into understanding what's a shepherd.

The themes of the story are about a°) Personal conviction, b°) Personcal convictions being a lesser part of harmony with other people/the world.

This is why Sorrey constantly is hammered with "you can't do it alone", and he musn't ever choose to think that HE can change the world by himself. The whole story is about learning what makes one gain Malovences, and Sorrey making sure he is ready to fight against it.

So, yes, him going to war was a HUGE deal. Likewise, Alisha leaving was a splendid arc.

The theme of the story is malevolence and malevolence and more malevolence. Clearly our key word for this title.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So what's the overall GAF verdict with no spoilers...?

On a scale of 1-10 for gameplay, story, characters, music, and overall?

I'd give it a solid 8/10 so far in. I think the general consensus would vary from 6.5-8.5/10. It's a solid JRPG, not the best Tales of Game, not the worst, and has some elements that stand-out and help differentiate it from other entries (while not the best or worst, it's not a complete average Tales of either, it definitely has differences to other entries in the series). Story is average, characters are good, music is great, combat is fun, equip/skill selection is a mixed bag,

Oh my god this water temple what the fuck.

I mean, I get it, they want me to use the dumbest fucking seraph map ability in the game over and over, but it's so slow, and just...ugh.

Falk

that puzzling face
I want to say I enjoyed the music a lot more than the past few Tales entries, but I'm afraid dramatis might show up and say my posts reek. :(

Gameplay is OK, but I really miss the fluidity of 60fps Tales. Didn't have a problem with the skill system. Story and characters are pretty standard fare. I think I agree with dramatis a little in that there's a little less 'direct influence' (for lack of a better way to describe it) that Sorey has on the world, but that's okay by me.

I enjoyed the music a lot more than the past few Tales entries, and not just with Shiina's involvement

8/10 here too.

edit: Just for context, there's not a single Tales game I've played that I'd say was outright bad. Not Xillia 2, not Legendia. Not Hearts (R or otherwise). So maybe my tolerance level is a little higher than average, too.

On PC: Haven't played for a few days and noticed that the new patch isn't playing the Japanese intro anymore just seems to pause and skip over it. Did they kill it? :(

The Shiba Inu Tail item description lmao

Managed to get 2 G-Unions on Sorey, +20 stats and +20%HP. I like this system a lot. I'm collecting all the equipment I find, buy all the shop stock and pick then the skills I need for the situation.

12 hours in. So far this game has been a solid 8.5/10 for me. I'm enjoying this a lot more than I did the Xilias. Like I mentioned before the English script and VAs are great too. They all fit the characters, listening to the original JP voices sounds "wrong" in my head. You know they did a job well when this happens lol.

Top Bottom