• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Mendrox

You know what else the game doesn't explain properly?
How Rose can use the armatus. The best they could come up with is having the affinity for it, when it was established as something only the Shepherd could do (I think). A mess.

That is never stated so... everything is okay. Also they had to do something like that and the reason that she can do it because
Dezel possesed her for many years
is a good one imo.

The water trial has to be one of the worst Tales dungeons ever.

Hah I think that's next for me, did one trail already, and thensome stuff in between.

I honestly hate about everything about this game except maybe some of the music. Even the battle system doesn't click with me and that is normally the highlight of the Tales titles (together with the art, which is very bland in this game).

Still I will try to finish it, there's just so few JRPG around...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, that fire trial song. Something about this all just clicked with me, I have a way better understanding of the skills/combat in general.

Atleast I thought so until I got to that boss.
Salamander guy that pretty much sliced the AI down in 2-3 hits and shrugged off hits without giving a damn. Once I cleared the enemies that spawned with him and hit I point where I was able to actually stagger him it got alright as his attacks were very easy to dodge and I was able to do a lot with a constant armatization with mikleo, but he was out for blood whenever another party member came in, lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Woo, the Hexen Isle dungeon is great, having some really good fights here, decent experience too.

Can't wait for the cameo battles. Currently quick saved just before
the pink pigtails girl from Graces F, forgot her name
, will start when I get home from work.

The water trial has to be one of the worst Tales dungeons ever.

I would like to second this, it's very much bullshit.

Mendrox

Damn, that fire trial song. Something about this all just clicked with me, I have a way better understanding of the skills/combat in general.

Salamander guy that pretty much sliced the AI down in 2-3 hits and shrugged off hits without giving a damn. Once I cleared the enemies that spawned with him and hit I point where I was able to actually stagger him it got alright as his attacks were very easy to dodge and I was able to do a lot with a constant armatization with mikleo, but he was out for blood whenever another party member came in, lol.

The elemental dungeon bosses (and many others) always go for their elemental enemy first (in this case it would be Lailah) after that they have a certain order in which they attack the other Tenzoku/Seraphs. So it is not really a surprise that the AI gets wrecked so often and easily, because nobody plays with them. Edna and Lailah are OP for the random battles and gigantos - Rose can kill everything solo with her Heavens knife(?)(that art where she throwes daggers in the air) which outdoes fusion dmg easily.

heringer

Guys, it's been a few years since I last played a JRPG. I think the last one was Xenoblade (which is one of my favorite RPG's ever).

I have a PC, Wii and a PS3 and I'm looking into getting a new JRPG to play. Of the Thales series, I've only played Symphonia and Symphonia 2.

Should I get Graces f, Xillia, Zestiria or is there a better option on the mentioned platforms? I gotta say that from watching videos, Xillia looks the most enjoyable of the bunch. Funny how it is prettier than Zestiria (judging from videos anyway).

I should say that I enjoyed Symphonia 2 more than the original (I'm weird I know) for a few reasons: more straightforward story (though Symphonia's characters were better), voiced skits, much much better combat and shorter campaign (20-30 hours is the perfect sweet spot for me).

Story is important in a JRPG to me, but since it's been so long since I've played anything anime related, I think I might ended enjoying even a cookie cutter plot as long as it's not terrible.

Also, are Graces and Xillia 60 fps?

Thanks!

Bowlie

Banned
Just in case someone did not notice: if you keep fighting enemies without resting at an inn or eating snacks, your initial SC, the SC you have at the start of a battle, drops to zero, making you waste a few seconds every battle to recharge your SC.

I discovered this when, suddenly, I couldn't hit any monster. So I ate lots of Donuts and now it's all fine.

The best thing? By doing so, Mikleo gained this title:
p0z4fcl.jpg

UCBooties

I've just started and reached Ladylake.

Since humans can't see Seraphs and Sorey keeps complaining about how hungry he is, I really want a cutscene where he passes out and Mikleo and Lailah have to walk him around town like it's Weekend at Bernie's.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Since humans can't see Seraphs and Sorey keeps complaining about how hungry he is, I really want a cutscene where he passes out and Mikleo and Lailah have to walk him around town like it's Weekend at Bernie's.

^ It's not shown visually but that *does* happen at a point in the story.

Cornbread78

That would be hilarious...

UCBooties

chandoog said:
^ It's not shown visually but that *does* happen at a point in the story.

Fantastic.

So where can I find information about talents? I've seen a couple of help hints mention them but I don't know if I'm supposed to set them or if they are automatic.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

7L6PjVZ.jpg

Ascenion

Wanted to bring this up. I got here at level 23, and he bodied me so hard he was level 38 and his boys were level 31 so I had a what the hell moment. Have I done something wrong? I didn't really notice side quests so I'm just curious

Crevox

Wanted to bring this up. I got here at level 23, and he bodied me so hard he was level 38 and his boys were level 31 so I had a what the hell moment. Have I done something wrong? I didn't really notice side quests so I'm just curious

You seem a little low level even if it was on hard/intense mode (which gives less exp). There are sidequests marked by purple stars/light blue circles on the map, and optional explorable areas all over by this point.

Just remember that level means very little, it's all in your equipment and skills. Fighting things higher level than you is not a bad thing, and if you are playing on hard or higher, it would be the usual. But, if you're having trouble, it just means you need to work on your equipment.

Guys, it's been a few years since I last played a JRPG. I think the last one was Xenoblade (which is one of my favorite RPG's ever).

I have a PC, Wii and a PS3 and I'm looking into getting a new JRPG to play. Of the Thales series, I've only played Symphonia and Symphonia 2.

Should I get Graces f, Xillia, Zestiria or is there a better option on the mentioned platforms? I gotta say that from watching videos, Xillia looks the most enjoyable of the bunch. Funny how it is prettier than Zestiria (judging from videos anyway).

I should say that I enjoyed Symphonia 2 more than the original (I'm weird I know) for a few reasons: more straightforward story (though Symphonia's characters were better), voiced skits, much much better combat and shorter campaign (20-30 hours is the perfect sweet spot for me).

Story is important in a JRPG to me, but since it's been so long since I've played anything anime related, I think I might ended enjoying even a cookie cutter plot as long as it's not terrible.

Thanks!

Graces and Xillia are 60 FPS in battles, 30 outside.

Which one to go for really depends on what you're looking for. Graces has a really polarising animu plot and cast, which I personally didn't mind. Fantastic battle system, too. Takes a while to get going. Is pretty long.

Xillia 1 has fun combat and an okay plot, but field traversal is a total pain. I'd say it's a lot more accessible than Graces, with much simpler systems and faster pacing. There's not much to do outside of the main story and varyingly exciting sidequests, but the sequel adds a lot of extra crap to do. Xillia 2 is also one of the most depressing games I've ever played, so you could look forward to that. The cast is pretty great, they're kinda new spins on common archetypes in the series. They're both around 30 hours long.

Zestiria has a lot in common with both Graces and Xillia, but it adds a lot of its own weirdness to the mix. It's a pretty deeply flawed game, but its strengths are strong enough for me to overlook a lot of stuff, and it's definitely very enjoyable. It's apparently around 40-50 hours, but I haven't finished it yet.

I'd say maybe start with Xillia 1, since it's the smallest and simplest of the bunch. I love all of these games, though, so imo you can't go wrong with any of them.

Edit: You could also jump through some hoops and CFW your PS3 to get English-patched Vesperia, or just play the vanilla JP import with a translation guide.

Huge difficulty spike in
Pendrago shrinechurch
or what should I be doing? Tons of enemies, corridors, seems like a bunch of casters, and they hit like trucks.

Quick question : I am just at
Pendrago
, and in the previous city, I have a purple star quest , namely find
a seraphin in an underwater cave

Can I do it now ? Is it optionnal or for later ? Found no
cave entrance in Glorious fields

Kazer

Pendrago

I'm at this point as well. The entrance to the cave is on the south west side of the map being blocked off by guards. Rose says you'll have to come back later. Worth noting I haven't actually entered
Pendrago
yet so I'm not sure if that would be enough to trigger the guards to move.

Ascenion

You seem a little low level even if it was on hard/intense mode (which gives less exp). There are sidequests marked by purple stars/light blue circles on the map, and optional explorable areas all over by this point.

Just remember that level means very little, it's all in your equipment and skills. Fighting things higher level than you is not a bad thing, and if you are playing on hard or higher, it would be the usual. But, if you're having trouble, it just means you need to work on your equipment.

Appreciate the advice. I'll admit I don't really understand the gear and stuff at all even with the tutorials. I'll warp out and get my party together.

Pendrago

You have to go to
Pendrago
first. Once there, some events will open up the path to
Cambria Caverns
and the plot will direct you there anyways.

Crevox

Huge difficulty spike in
Pendrago shrinechurch
or what should I be doing? Tons of enemies, corridors, seems like a bunch of casters, and they hit like trucks.

If you're having trouble, work on keeping the casters locked down; don't let them cast. Either counter with spells of your own, command the AI to "spread out" via the right stick so they all target different enemies, or just dash around. :p

Depending on the quantity of spell casters and the difficulty setting, most of the time spells are quite easy to quick evade, so I would work on practicing that. Not only does it make you only take 1 damage, but it gives a huge chunk of SC and BG for doing so. The AI often won't do this, but if they're taking damage often (can't keep enemies locked down), know that A-DEF makes a huge difference. Put on some A-DEF rings/armor, possibly consider using Mikleo for his A-DEF buff, etc. It will help.

StereoVsn

Thanks!

I doubt Xillia is 60 fps but I could be wrong I guess. I have to say Zestiria so far has been the most entertaining. Graces has the better combat, and Xillia had strong start, but Zestiria so far is pretty good and overall better then the others. Xillia can be had cheap as hell though and it's not a bad game per say.

Crevox

I remember Xillia crawling during the
Chimeriad
fights atleast in the coliseum and such.

Xillia and Xillia 2 would crawl from just about anything. Playing a spellcaster in that game made battles take so much longer because the game would drop so low in FPS.

FSLink

Banned
I don't think kayos was referring to 60fps as "stable 60fps", because even older games like Abyss and Symphonia GC have frame drops.

Symphonia PS3 is the only one that's not 60FPS besides Zestiria, yes.

Crevox

I don't think kayos was referring to 60fps as "stable 60fps", because even older games like Abyss and Symphonia GC have frame drops.

Frame drops yes, but there are also some that are just notably worse than others. I always remembered Symphonia doing a very good job at maintaining its frame rate, Abyss too, but Xillia is awful at it.

I understand, though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If you tweak some settings in the Nvidia Inspector you can add SGSSAA/MSAA + DSR. They have a guide for it on steam.
Plus, I've been using SweetFX bring out the faded colors a bit.

I'm running on an AMD GPU, already have VSR on, which is how I downsample from 1440p to 1080p, the others I'm not so sure I can get in there ;P. Don't really notice any jaggies as it is right now, so extra AA isn't needed

Let's hope japanese devs learn how to code their shit so they can just flip the "any framerate goes" switch on platforms where performance isn't an issue. Then again, even From did, and they've never been seen as standouts in the technological department.

Stuart444

Are the AI commands (Right stick) disabled in Multiplayer? Only 2 of us so I thought they would work for the other 2 AI people but right stick does nothing but move the camera?

Crevox

Then again, even From did, and they've never been seen as standouts in the technological department.

From increased the FPS to 60. The cap is still 60, and still can't go higher.

Not only that, but it caused bugs, so the logic was still tied to the frame rate. Some enemies were harder than normal when playing at 60 FPS, and your weapon durability got destroyed.

MSMrRound

Was the localization done by 8-4 as well? Or another company?

Xillia 2 had a pretty solid script and though I appreciate being able to spot the references at times, the amount of "meme" dialogue tends to be a bit too much for my liking..

zakujanai

sooo where do you find the peacock feathers? I tried looking at every end of the maps I have and couldn't find it.

It tells you where to find the peacock feathers, in the forest north of the meadow. I forgot the name but it's where you have the little scene with the Sparrowfeathers looking for a base.

Was the localization done by 8-4 as well? Or another company?

Xillia 2 had a pretty solid script and though I appreciate being able to spot the references at times, the amount of "meme" dialogue tends to be a bit too much for my liking..
Looks like it was done by Keywords International. Which might be the same company that did Symphonia and Vesperia as well, since they list them on their site.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Edna is one of the best Tales characters. On par with Pascal.

Bowlie

Banned
sooo where do you find the peacock feathers? I tried looking at every end of the maps I have and couldn't find it.

I found it in (hiding for those who don't want the answer)
Malory, the Patinal Forest
, but I don't even know what to do with it; I guess I picked it up before the quest even began. You have to use Giant's Strength to unlock the rest of the area there.

Top Bottom