• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Bladenic

Why do the Hi-Ougis in this game suck so much? They're weak AND they look dumb.

Are you referring to the first level ones? Cuz they're quick like Team Destiny Tales games were, but I agree in that some of the first level ones are meh or even look awkward. The second level ones and the fusion ones are much better. As a whole though, yeah this is on the weak side for mystic artes.

Tales of Rebirth, Vesperia PS3, Xillia 2, Graces, and Destiny R are the best ones.

Does the equipment proficiency increase at the same rate every single fight or are there hidden numbers at work? Like do weaker pieces gain more proficiency in the same fight as lesser ones? Will ones bought 1 minute into the game increase at the same rate as ones at the end? I've had no issues just equipping random stuff, fusing when I feel like it, and so forth. But I'm not sure how it works and if I felt like it, wondered how I'd best quicken the pace of proficiency gains.

That being said, it is really fucking annoying to have something gain every battle and go back and see what it was and check if it's maxed to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Does the equipment proficiency increase at the same rate every single fight or are there hidden numbers at work? Like do weaker pieces gain more proficiency in the same fight as lesser ones? Will ones bought 1 minute into the game increase at the same rate as ones at the end? I've had no issues just equipping random stuff, fusing when I feel like it, and so forth. But I'm not sure how it works and if I felt like it, wondered how I'd best quicken the pace of proficiency gains.

That being said, it is really fucking annoying to have something gain every battle and go back and see what it was and check if it's maxed to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Equipment proficiency is so unimportant that you really don't have to worry about changing your gear to avoid wasting XP.

Bowlie

Banned
Well shit.

Also, this game has sidequests?!

Yup! The NPCs with purple stars on their heads (represented on the map as blue dots) are related to Iris Gems sidequests.
There are NPCs represented as balloons with exclamation points; those are normal sidequests.

In both cases, once you talk to them you can then talk to your Squire to learn what you need to do to complete said quests.

I love doing the sidequests. They're not your usual fetch quests, but they do have meaningful effects for the world instead. My only problem with the sidequests is, they barely give you any information about what/where you should do/go next, especially if you missed what the quest giver said on the initial conversation. I had to google several times to finish some of them. But so far the sidequests are pretty decent.

PKrockin

Well shit.

Also, this game has sidequests?!
lol. It takes a while, but all of a sudden when I talked to Rose I had like 10 sidequest leads.

As far as mystic artes the first set you get seems on par with Graces's level 1 MAs in terms of visual impressiveness. It seems appropriate that they're short and not as powerful given how spammable you can make them. The most important thing to me is that they don't waste time and they have extremely fast transitions into and out of them. The longer they get, the more time they spend just talking or charging up, and the more time it takes to transition in or out of the MA, the more it feels like just a cutscene and not an attack I did. The best is when enemies can die in the asskicking dimension and the screen transitions directly into the results screen if it was the last enemy, rather than awkwardly fading back to the normal battle view first just so the enemy can go urrrgh and fall over/disappear.

I just left Lastonbell. Did I miss any sidequests? That kinda annoys me.

You didn't miss anything, you're just at the part of the game when sidequests become a thing. Lastonbell and Pendrago should have some sidequests soon, check the map in those towns for any blue or purple icons. And talk to Rose to keep track of them.

zakujanai

I just had issues with non-magical trolls (in the cliffs area). And since I can't seem to use right stick commands in MP mode, it's hard to get our Fire Seraph (weakness to the trolls) to attack the same enemies/move back when needed.

:/

Enjoying the game a lot though besides some of these battle issues. I also like the ability to use a lower hidden arte into a higher hidden arte (just sucks that my X button is so weak now, it doesn't always register. Should have a new controller sometime this week though)

In multiplayer I found player 2 is in charge of the commands and player 1 can control the awful camera when it gets stuck.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't understand why they didn't just make the game with 7 Ednas.

You play as Edna, early on
you meet Edna, but she leaves and is replaced by Edna, because this new Edna can see the other 5 Ednas but the previous one can't.

edit: fine, spoiler tagged.

tauke

I don't understand why they didn't just make the game with 7 Ednas.

You play as Edna, early on
you meet Edna, but she leaves and is replaced by Edna, because this new Edna can see the other 5 Ednas but the previous one can't.

edit: fine, spoiler tagged.

Everthing is
Edna.

R0ckman

Agh its driving me crazy that I have no sympathy for the big bad, at all. I usually have partial understanding for villains in Tales games, but I absolutely do not in this one.

The only other one who I felt just needed to die was the Tales of Destiny baddie. Now that I think about it, I guess it didn't work well in Graces either because they forced the sympathy on you too much.
On top of that it was the overly done "demon is possessing the king" story, only the twist was to feel sorry for the demon.

Anyone know the name of the song that plays at the end that has english lyrics when you are
fighting the dragon in the warzone
?

Bladenic

lol. It takes a while, but all of a sudden when I talked to Rose I had like 10 sidequest leads.

As far as mystic artes the first set you get seems on par with Graces's level 1 MAs in terms of visual impressiveness. It seems appropriate that they're short and not as powerful given how spammable you can make them. The most important thing to me is that they don't waste time and they have extremely fast transitions into and out of them. The longer they get, the more time they spend just talking or charging up, and the more time it takes to transition in or out of the MA, the more it feels like just a cutscene and not an attack I did. The best is when enemies can die in the asskicking dimension and the screen transitions directly into the results screen if it was the last enemy, rather than awkwardly fading back to the normal battle view first just so the enemy can go urrrgh and fall over/disappear.

Your post and part about dimension made me realize all Tales characters have the amazing power of inter-dimensional travel since they can all transport enemies to a different dimension to deliver their mystic artes.

Cornbread78

Figured it out, nvrmd, bakka, bakka, bakka.

Wait, I go to attack a normal monster on the way to first temple and I get 1-hit killed? What's up with that?

So

Kicked
Alisha
to the curb, picked up
Rose and Dezel
, and now this game is infinitely better. I hope that it turns out that
Alisha was killed and her dumb stupid dumb corpse is rotting in a cell or something and then everyone laughs and comments about how Rose isn't wearing some ridiculous outfit like stupid Alisha and how the only reason Rose has her outfit is because she stole it off her corpse purely to show how ridiculous and dumb and stupid it is and then lion man LORD OF CALAMITY is all "wow I was only pissed because Alisha is stupid let's be friends" end of game everyone is happy and Sorey learns that killing is actually ok but only when it's Alisha.

I don't like Alisha.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So

Kicked
Alisha
to the curb, picked up
Rose and Dezel
Alisha was killed and her dumb stupid dumb corpse is rotting in a cell or something and then everyone laughs and comments about how Rose isn't wearing some ridiculous outfit like stupid Alisha and how the only reason Rose has her outfit is because she stole it off her corpse purely to show how ridiculous and dumb and stupid it is and then lion man LORD OF CALAMITY is all "wow I was only pissed because Alisha is stupid let's be friends" end of game everyone is happy and Sorey learns that killing is actually ok but only when it's Alisha.

I don't like Alisha.

Alisha is fineeee. And I just now realised she's a carbon copy of Ashe from FFXII, down to her outfit, essentially.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I find Alisha quite endearing. If I were to compare her to anyone it would be Estelle from Vesperia, only with a lot more worldly experience, less naivety and a worse life.

R0ckman

I find Alisha quite endearing. If I were to compare her to anyone it would be Estelle from Vesperia, only with a lot more worldly experience, less naivety and a worse life.

Yeah after going through most of the story I feel kind of horrible for her and I understand why fans would rage. Her situation is really damn sad honestly, I'm now understanding...

Yeah, I saw someone else mention on FB,
that they didn't know the girl could die. After someone else mentioned that the girl died in their game. So yeah :( timed I guess.

WTF

How do you know that it's timed? There isn't one. I think we're talking about something different here because there's no timer or indication of a timer for the Syndra sidequest (which is where the little girl dies).

Stuart444

WTF

How do you know that it's timed? There isn't one. I think we're talking about something different here because there's no timer or indication of a timer for the Syndra sidequest (which is where the little girl dies).

Once you activate the part of the quest where you sleep at the inn and fight the small enemy. It runs off and you're told to 'hurry' after it which I assume is an indication that it is timed. Once you get out of the city, you have to basically dive straight at the big wolf since one character mentions "it's eating it's own kind" which I think implied that you need to get there and stop it very quickly. Of course I could be wrong but that's what I think is implied. Maybe someone else can confirm?

But someone I know said that the little girl lived for them in the Sindra sidequest so /shrug

Once you activate the part of the quest where you sleep at the inn and fight the small enemy. It runs off and you're told to 'hurry' after it which I assume is an indication that it is timed. Once you get out of the city, you have to basically dive straight at the big wolf since one character mentions "it's eating it's own kind" which I think implied that you need to get there and stop it very quickly. Of course I could be wrong but that's what I think is implied. Maybe someone else can confirm?

But someone I know said that the little girl lived for them in the Sindra sidequest so /shrug

I'll look into it after I've completed the game.

Just hit a part that got me in the feels tonight.

Damnit!

Stuart444

I'll look into it after I've completed the game.

Just hit a part that got me in the feels tonight.

Damnit!

It will be interesting to see what side quests can be different or not. I didn't know til today that some can finish differently depending on if you're quick or not.

Btw question for any who has finished the game. I'm just about to enter
Gododdin or whatever it's called after the cliffs?
How far through the story am I? Just curious so I can estimate how long I have til I complete it.

Bladenic

I went exploring the cave south of the forest and through mega Crown Fire spamming I beat the bat enemy... on Normal. I ALMOST had it on both Hard and Moderate. Kinda mad at myself but I'm not mad at more HP. On the other hand it died RIGHT before Mikleo was about to revive so now he's behind everyone about a level. Damn it.

Game is so fun though. Love Tales at these points where the battle system shines.

R0ckman

Does anyone know who drops Extrinsic Swords? I know a shop can have them but they can drop too. Unfortunately the only guide that tells you, the writer decided to moronically not specify the monster by its exact name and instead said dropped by "berg folk"? How the hell would this help anyone?

In the Japanese version I really loved one scene before the final act of the story because of the way the voice actor for Edna gave her the right intonation.
And because I've reached that point now again on PC, I thought it would be a good idea to see how it was handled in the English version. I was scared because the subtitle was not what I would've imagined, and I was right :( The English voices ruin that particular scene I so love in Japanese :/
The tone for the delivery is not the same at all...

Which is a real shame because my initial thoughts on the voices based on the introduction alone was kind of good actually...but I don't like Edna's english voice :/

holy shit, the one fight in
pendrago where you get the seraphim blessing
. Made me hate the battle system there. Small battle arena, 3 hit kills from the enemy, terrible AI, and prioritizing defense not doing anything other than ppl running away. My god that fight sucked

I don't mind a little spoiler tagging or PM but if I'm about to
go to war
when should someone like
Rose
join my party? I feel like it's early/mid game spoilers.

holy shit, the one fight in
pendrago where you get the seraphim blessing
. Made me hate the battle system there. Small battle arena, 3 hit kills from the enemy, terrible AI, and prioritizing defense not doing anything other than ppl running away. My god that fight sucked

the
Beast Tamer
?
i just cheesed it with the Armatus and the OP healing skills they provide

Arkeus

Does anyone know who drops Extrinsic Swords? I know a shop can have them but they can drop too. Unfortunately the only guide that tells you, the writer decided to moronically not specify the monster by its exact name and instead said dropped by "berg folk"? How the hell would this help anyone?

As far as I know it's based on enemy levels- I got one drop from a Lizard in the ShrineChurch when having a +4 level Normin in Intense.

So

Kicked
Alisha
to the curb, picked up
Rose and Dezel

I don't like Alisha.

Alisha is just doing her best but it's not enough for you or the kingdom of Hyland. You should be ashamed. She wants what's best for everyone. ;_;

I love Alisha.

Where's this Lhitwerg Barewoods?
Is there a world map or locations guide for Zestiria out there? I've been struggling with finding certain undiscovered locations for quests most of the time.

Nvm, found it. I had to dig through that gamefaqs page which is a ps3 japanese version with different zone names.

PKrockin

wtf, it's snowing and all I can think of is IT SNOWED LAST NIGHT, IT SNOWED LAST NIGHT, MILLA AND THE FOUR HAD A PILLOW FIGHT...

Somebody help me

Top Bottom