• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Datschge

Looks like it was done by Keywords International. Which might be the same company that did Symphonia and Vesperia as well, since they list them on their site.
Which is odd since Vesperia's credits lists 8-4, but not Keywords. 8-4 also has it on its site, but that's missing Xillia 2 even though they are included in the credits there. Keywords doing Zestiria may be due to 8-4 doing Hearts R around the same time? *shrugs*

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The Team Destiny like games always seem to have poor strategy options while the Team Symphonia like games have really extensive ones. It's weird.

It's not even that. The strategy setting is pretty shitty in general. They gutted it super hardcore.

Crevox

It's not even that. The strategy setting is pretty shitty in general. They gutted it super hardcore.

You have the right stick in addition to the strategy menu. In my opinion, it's adequate.

Either way, no matter what you do with either one, it doesn't resolve how dumb the AI is. You can orient them to do certain things, but that doesn't mean they will do it well (won't block, etc).

The only thing I would say is missing is the auto-item use, but if you want grade, you should never turn that on to begin with.

Bladenic

Man I finally got that sweet spot in Tales games where the game is just mega fun to play. The forest area after you get Rose and Dezel had really easy and fun enemies, and the fire armatus spell Crown Fire is OP especially against fire weak enemies. Rose and Dezel are also fun to play as. Love it.

I need to adjust the sound options though, can barely hear the mystic arte shouts.

As for fusions, I'm currently obsessed with fire due to Crown Fire being amazing. Water is still great due to range and combo potential. Earth is good though it has some range issues. Wind is really cool due to the animations but it has both weird range issues and long cool downs. My least favorite in terms of usefulness at the moment.

Crevox

165 grade on the 1 on 1 battle. Anyone got something similar?

I'm not sure what 1 on 1 battle you're referencing, but on chaos difficulty you can get really high grade from boss fights if you play it right. I think my highest is like 760.

EDIT: Oh, you probably mean
Sergei
?

Crevox

Sorey against
Sergei.

Ah, yeah. The conditions for good grade on a boss are pretty much just:

-Don't die
-Don't use item
-Kill with a Mystic Arte (double grade)

The rest of things are bonus (example high hit count, win within x seconds). I think you should've gotten a bit more than that if you met those 3 conditions, but it varies a lot depending on what happened in the fight and difficulty setting.

Bladenic

Ah, yeah. The conditions for good grade are pretty much just:

-Don't die
-Don't use item
-Kill with a Mystic Arte (double grade)

The rest of things are bonus (example high hit count, win within x seconds).

Yep pretty much all of it came from the mystic arte kill and not using an item.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's cool how after Lastonbell you can
find Heldalf just chilling in Biroclef Ridge, try to fight him with no seraphim and get rekt.

R0ckman

It's cool how after Lastonbell you can
find Heldalf just chilling in Biroclef Ridge, try to fight him with no seraphim and get rekt.

If you fight him in the hunting grounds before triggering the next story part after getting all the trail powers and beat him you get a sloppily put together alternate ending that makes little to no sense.

I'm starting to think that a lot of things changed while this game was in development.

It feels like Alisha wasn't suppose to really leave the party, and really after hearing that she wants to end the war and all that, she would have been better suited to travel with Sorey undercover after being banished to the town with the sickness. Her deciding to go back and meddle in the politics was odd. I can almost imagine the discussions at Namdai like - "Well Alisha was not suppose to see these guys, so she couldn't fuse with them, so it won't work very well, how about we make it so that things just don't work out having her in the party?"

I wonder if Rose, and Zaveid always existed? Maybe Sergei was originally suppose to join the party too? For a party of eight? Maybe that fusion system was a late addition and screwed everything up so they had to make a quick modification to the story.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is it normal for it to take 10+ hours for the infamous
Alisha leaves the party forever
point? Because I kept hearing that happened
towards the beginning of the game, but it felt like a solid length of time to me

Side note: Love the elemental theme the Seraphim have going for them, it's very Golden Sun esque and each party member is fun to use in battle. Have yet to encounter a
wind
Seraphim, but the rest are all a blast to play, especially Lailah and her weird paper weapons. Her low defense/up close play style is kind of like a berserker mage.

Bladenic

Is it normal for it to take 10+ hours for the infamous
Alisha leaves the party forever
point? Because I kept hearing that happened
towards the beginning of the game, but it felt like a solid length of time to me

Side note: Love the elemental theme the Seraphim have going for them, it's very Golden Sun esque and each party member is fun to use in battle. Have yet to encounter a
wind
Seraphim, but the rest are all a blast to play, especially Lailah and her weird paper weapons. Her low defense/up close play style is kind of like a berserker mage.

Her spells are very Pascal-esque, though Pascal was more fun to melee with.

Arkeus

I'm starting to think that a lot of things changed while this game was in development.

It feels like Alisha wasn't suppose to really leave the party, and really after hearing that she wants to end the war and all that, she would have been better suited to travel with Sorey undercover after being banished to the town with the sickness. Her deciding to go back and meddle in the politics was odd. I can almost imagine the discussions at Namdai like - "Well Alisha was not suppose to see these guys, so she couldn't fuse with them, so it won't work very well, how about we make it so that things just don't work out having her in the party?"

I wonder if Rose, and Zaveid always existed? Maybe Sergei was originally suppose to join the party too? For a party of eight? Maybe that fusion system was a late addition and screwed everything up so they had to make a quick modification to the story.
I don't know, the more I play and the more it feels like
They wanted to make Rose a 'surprise party member' and just messed up the marketism

Alisha staying would make no sense given the actual focus of the game, and what happens to her fits incredibly well with the themes of the game.

Fuu

Anyone know where the heck the patinary forest is?
Malory, the Patinal Forest is to the north of Meadow of Triumph, the big field after you exit Lastonbell through the west gate.

If you fight him in the hunting grounds before triggering the next story part after getting all the trail powers and beat him you get a sloppily put together alternate ending that makes little to no sense.
Interesting, I'll try that in the future.

Bowlie

Banned
As for fusions, I'm currently obsessed with fire due to Crown Fire being amazing. Water is still great due to range and combo potential. Earth is good though it has some range issues. Wind is really cool due to the animations but it has both weird range issues and long cool downs. My least favorite in terms of usefulness at the moment.

There's one arte from Earth kamui, I think it's called Crystal Tower, that raises three pillars from the ground wherever there are enemies, with unlimited range, and doing splash damage. Soo good, especially when they're all together in one spot.

Anony

started the game on ps3, thought i could take the downgraded graphics, but the textures are ass
if my memory isnt playing tricks on me, xilia looks much better than this

thinking of playing it on ps4 now, is the save file transferable? otherwise, i'll probably just play it on pc down the line

Bladenic

There's one arte from Earth kamui, I think it's called Crystal Tower, that raises three pillars from the ground wherever there are enemies, with unlimited range, and doing splash damage. Soo good, especially when they're all together in one spot.

Yeah I have it and it is indeed good, but Crown Fire seems even better right now.

R0ckman

Does anyone know the battle music when you fight against
Maltran
?

(Late game boss big spoiler)

Did you have a strat for her besides, using things she wasn't resistant to? I fought her on hard and while I was fine, she kept killing Alisha and basically ruined my grade, there was nothing I could really do though. Alisha did tare her up when she was alive but unless I could get some good combos going she would just either immediately start attack and frames and combo me or she would spam her mystic arte on Alisha.

Fuu

Sorey looks surprisingly good with horns and sideburns.

069EA94F19C84A74385E13B2DD90DD2B59D4FD8D

Bonus:

Gotta love attachment editing lol (sideburns + sunglasses + "hanging hair" bangs).

adz2ka

Near end game battle spoilers

Currently in the fight against Maltran. Alisha can't armatise making her possibly the WORST Tales character ever. I hope she dies.

Any tips for this? Playing on hard and struggling to find a weak spot to either stun or power hit her

malfcn

The audio off in this game? Wife is playing and the mixing sounds all wrong. Background is louder than dialogue sometimes.

Stuart444

Lastonbell sidequest spoiler:

Was too late to save the girl ;_;. Probably by a few seconds or so.

Also that boss was fucking tough for me. Had to turn the difficulty down. Also bosses get nasty when they are near death. Second battle now where I've had one or two dead near the end because suddenly Boss unleashes more powerful attacks at the very end ;_;.

I know I need to get better, but I'm really not enjoying boss fights on this game anymore. Might just bow back down to normal or easier. Most of the time I can do trash fights on hard but bosses have no chance anymore. I've spent some time on equipment fusion and most of the party has a few decent skills, but it doesn't feel like it matters overall. Even lowering to moderate, seems like every boss fight is solo with Rose popping in for a couple seconds in between deaths. Can usually get about a 75 hit combo in at the beginning but then I drop the stagger and all the Seraphim get destroyed. Guess it's time to watch some videos but I'm remembering really enjoying the Xillia games combat in comparison and starting to get bummed out.

MechaX

Go Shiina just made something as mundane as following a dog into the most epic, badass thing ever.

You know, if Go Shiina took over entirely for Sakuraba, I would not miss him.

But the Vesperia opening is so good.

That implies you don't like Vesperia's theme. Which also implies you don't like Bonnie Pink. Which almost borders on blasphemy. :p

Seriously though, Ring a Bell and Karma were way good IMO. That instrumental BS we got for US Abyss made me sad.

Vesperia's theme did get stuck in my head, but... no, I just didn't like it. I guess the way my post was written was bad, but I meant to say that Karma is probably still my favorite Tales opening, lyrics or no. But Zestiria's is definitely a close second.

mechax has pretty poor taste in everything

Oh get out of here, I don't need to take this from you of all people!

Go back to raiding in a dead MMO!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The audio off in this game? Wife is playing and the mixing sounds all wrong. Background is louder than dialogue sometimes.

Having headphones on when I'm walking through a city is pretty damn loud, can barely make out audio over the chattering background noise.

squall23

I have to say I'm really underwhelmed by them, too. Short, anticlimactic, and can't even be trusted to finish off a regular enemy unless it's near death.

Xillia's weren't the best, but they at least felt appropriately epic.
Xillia 1 and 2 are an exception. They're 2 of the few games where they were cool AND damaging. Destiny R, Destiny 2, and Graces are the other games.

Phillia's Rebirth Crusader still the GOAT.

TheFatMan

I find some of the difficulty spikes during combat in this game to be slightly annoying.

Granted, I am by no means a master at Tales of combat. But I have never had this problem before.

Definitely one of my least favorite combat systems, but I'm enjoying the characters and story greatly. Just left
Pendrago for the first time to go find the Pope

Peff

It's less difficulty spikes and more areas with enemies that can cast magic. They went a little too far in gimping the AI's dodging capabilities.

Zafir

The annoying thing I've found is the difficulty isn't really that consistent. You'll have a few tough bosses, and then suddenly it shoves a really easy main story one at you, and you're like "That's it?".

Stuart444

I just had issues with non-magical trolls (in the cliffs area). And since I can't seem to use right stick commands in MP mode, it's hard to get our Fire Seraph (weakness to the trolls) to attack the same enemies/move back when needed.

:/

Enjoying the game a lot though besides some of these battle issues. I also like the ability to use a lower hidden arte into a higher hidden arte (just sucks that my X button is so weak now, it doesn't always register. Should have a new controller sometime this week though)

kiryogi

Banned
Lastonbell sidequest spoiler:

Was too late to save the girl ;_;. Probably by a few seconds or so.

Also that boss was fucking tough for me. Had to turn the difficulty down. Also bosses get nasty when they are near death. Second battle now where I've had one or two dead near the end because suddenly Boss unleashes more powerful attacks at the very end ;_;.

Whaat it's timed as well?!
Goddamit D: D: D: Poor girl.

Top Bottom