• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Did anyone in Zestiria have their ages specified? I guess Mikleo and Sorey considering the flashback they show, but that's about it. This chart with everyone's ages in the series just kind of has the ToZ cast floating off to the side lol.

I Wanna look up what that Japanese character on those sections mean, but my gut is telling me it means "Hell if we know" lol

I mean most of the Seraphim sans Mikelo being some vague age makes sense, but not for any of the humans

Datschge

Is the soundtrack missing some tracks?
Pretty sure that there's also a slightly different version of Rising Up that plays there after a certain point that isn't on the OST either.
Sakuraba's work appears complete. Shiina's part is produced-for-CD as he usually likes to do, which means it's a selection of tracks, some combined, some extended and expanded and some shortened. In the game there are a lot of slight variations that aren't on the OST.

I am watching a Let's Play series of Zestiria, and watching the Symphonia OVA series.

Is it something to worry about when Symphonia as an abridged series works a lot better than Zestiria? The plot is way better executed, the characters are fairly fleshed out and well defined
(I mean, I felt a lot more for Corrine than Dezel)
and the amount of FEELZ moments are way more frequent as well.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Did anyone in Zestiria have their ages specified? I guess Mikleo and Sorey considering the flashback they show, but that's about it. This chart with everyone's ages in the series just kind of has the ToZ cast floating off to the side lol.
Wow, Jude is only 15? He acts older than just about every protagonist older than him, haha

Mendrox

I am watching a Let's Play series of Zestiria, and watching the Symphonia OVA series.

Is it something to worry about when Symphonia as an abridged series works a lot better than Zestiria? The plot is way better executed, the characters are fairly fleshed out and well defined (I mean, I felt a lot more for Corrine than Dezel) and the amount of FEELZ moments are way more frequent as well.

Sorry but the Symphonia OVA series are pure shit. I didn't enjoy them at all.

Symphonia still has the better story and the characters change a bit more throughout the story. Symphonia is also a lot longer than Zestiria and way bigger.

PKrockin

Wow, Jude is only 15? He acts older than just about every protagonist older than him, haha
Yeah, and he was about to graduate medical school. Kinda shocked me when everyone busted out the "he's only 15" explanation for that scene. I had forgotten all about his age and assumed he was an adult.

Fisico

Is it something to worry about when Symphonia as an abridged series works a lot better than Zestiria? The plot is way better executed, the characters are fairly fleshed out and well defined
(I mean, I felt a lot more for Corrine than Dezel
) and the amount of FEELZ moments are way more frequent as well.

It'd be better if you spoiler tag this please.

Also the OVA aren't really an abridged series, they are 10 OVA long, around ~400mn and while the overall plot is still the same they changed a lot of things and important details regarding the original game.

It's not surprising if there is more plot in proportion in an ANIME than in a GAME also, because you know gameplay & stuff.

The last two, United World, were pretty meh too

Knurek

I've created a small game-specific plugin for GeDoSaTo to increase the character shadow resolution to be on par with the environment shadow detail.

modn6k1j.jpg

What's the performance cost?

It'd be better if you spoiler tag this please.

Also the OVA aren't really an abridged series, they are 10 OVA long, around ~400mn and while the overall plot is still the same they changed a lot of things and important details regarding the original game.

It's not surprising if there is more plot in proportion in an ANIME than in a GAME also, because you know gameplay & stuff.

The last two, United World, were pretty meh too

Sorry about that. I edited the post with Spoiler tags.

The OVAs follow somewhat the canonical story, right? In the game you can make some choices that will alter the destiny of some characters and relationships between them, though.

i am not even complaining about pacing, for example. It is not fair comparing this between a game and an anime. But taking character relationship / development / overall plot, Zestiria is worrisomely (is that even a word? LOL) lacking.

Sorry about that. I edited the post with Spoiler tags.

The OVAs follow somewhat the canonical story, right? In the game you can make some choices that will alter the destiny of some characters and relationships between them, though.

i am not even complaining about pacing, for example. It is not fair comparing this between a game and an anime. But taking character relationship / development / overall plot, Zestiria is worrisomely (is that even a word? LOL) lacking.

I can kind of agree with that even as someone who pretty much enjoyed all Tales games stories and characters Zestiria was the first time I've found those aspects very underwhelming. Maybe I'll do a more thorough write up of my full thoughts later but I can definitely say it's a pretty bizarre feeling for me to find it this underwhelming.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ha, yeah. I didn't expect him to be quite that difficult.

Yeah, the boss just doesn't seem to take enough damage. I took on the fight earlier than I should have I suppose, took over 40 minutes to beat, extreme amounts of cheesing and exhausting all my healing items.

Later fights, even for the Hexen isle dungeon, were harder for sure, but quicker. I guess I was leveled up sufficiently (maybe even over leveled) by then.

So questions about the solo character battle things:

1. Does lowering the difficulty impact anything? Do you get something worse for beating them on lower difficulties?

2. Are they meant to be completed as soon as you find them? Or are you supposed to wait until the characters are stronger and come back

3. What do you get for doing them? All I got for soreys was a pretty good earring

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

1. Does lowering the difficulty impact anything? Do you get something worse for beating them on lower difficulties?

2. Are they meant to be completed as soon as you find them? Or are you supposed to wait until the characters are stronger and come back

3. What do you get for doing them? All I got for soreys was a pretty good earring
The only difference in changing the difficulty is the quality of the drops you can get in that session.

You can do them whenever, but it's doable to do them when you find them. So far I finished the Sorey, Lailah, Mikleo and Rose Crucibles on moderate as soon as I found them and I only lowered the difficulty for Lailah's.

The Crucibles are useful for equipment drops. There's also an achievement/trophy if you do all of them. You get a skit after you finish each of them, but I'm not sure if you get anything else aside from the achievement after you beat all of them.

Stuart444

1. It's no different than fighting normal enemies. You get better quality items/more gald on higher difficulties. Just like normal enemies. (aka what it says when you hover over the difficulties in the options menu)

2. Complete them whenever you want, available right up until the end of the game as a side quest.

3. They can be repeated as much as you want for gald/items/xp as far as I'm aware. From what I have seen, you can get items each time, sometimes more, sometimes less (just like fighting normal enemies really).

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to start this tonight. Anything to look out for in the beginning? How's this game with missable stuff?
You'll miss plenty of chests that can't be opened until you get the appropriate keys but most every place can be returned to and side quests are linked in the side quest log (aka your human partner)

So there isn't really much to miss. You can even use the support skills Sorey/Mikleo/Edna have that tells you if you're near a Normin/Chest/Herb/Point of Interest.

If you want to do side quests asap, just talk to your human partner after every story event to see if there is new stuff. It has icons for side quests (sub episodes), iris gems (not really side quests, they need to be completed eventually, it's just up to you if you do it sooner or later) and main story (a golden star).

Cool, sounds uncomplicated enough. Thanks!

Stuart444

I'm about to start this tonight. Anything to look out for in the beginning? How's this game with missable stuff?

You'll miss plenty of chests that can't be opened until you get the appropriate keys but most every place can be returned to and side quests are linked in the side quest log (aka your human partner)

So there isn't really much to miss. You can even use the support skills Sorey/Mikleo/Edna have that tells you if you're near a Normin/Chest/Herb/Point of Interest.

If you want to do side quests asap, just talk to your human partner after every story event to see if there is new stuff. It has icons for side quests (sub episodes), iris gems (not really side quests, they need to be completed eventually, it's just up to you if you do it sooner or later) and main story (a golden star).

Fuu

Btw you get 0 xp in Crucibles, so repeating them is really only for equipment drops. At least on moderate it's like that.

Stuart444

Btw you get 0 xp in Crucibles, so repeating them is really only for equipment drops. At least on moderate it's like that.

I forgot if we got XP or not, I just remember getting gald when I tried the one in the DLC the other day XD.

But equipment drops are pretty much the main reason to redo them yeah.

Fuu

I forgot if we got XP or not, I just remember getting gald when I tried the one in the DLC the other day XD.

But equipment drops are pretty much the main reason to redo them yeah.
Haha yeah, I actually only noticed that by the third time I did one.

Rpgmonkey

The humans (and Mikleo I guess) should be somewhere between 17-19. Lilah's over 1000 if a short blurb they put on a poster is considered canon information lol, the rest I don't think ever had any real hints at their age.

Heyt

Banned
Edna, Lailah, Simmone and Zaveid are very, very very old. Zenrus is unmeasurably old and so is
Maotelus and the other current 5 lords
. Mikleo is almost considered a newborn by Seraph standards and Dezel is also considered "young" (by Simmone, at least). That's what I got from the game, but maybe I'm wrong.

Fuu

Regardless of her exact age I love how Edna fits the "1000 year old demon loli" meme while still managing to be a great character. The wonders of self-awareness. The scene where she tries to
"charm" Pawan at the Earth Shrine
is hilarious.

Alucrid

Banned
Regardless of her exact age I love how Edna fits the "1000 year old demon loli" meme while still managing to be a great character. The wonders of self-awareness. The scene where she tries to
"charm" Pawan at the Earth Shrine
is hilarious.
She's actually a 1000 year old potential dragon

Go Shiina's involvement here was a breath of fresh air.

Does anyone know if he's involved with Berseria? I find that since they keep Sakuraba on a short leash in terms of what he can make that his work tends to sound too samey in recent Tales of games.

Go Shiina is just what the series needs to give it a fresh injection in terms of music (I know he did Legendia's OST).

Bladenic

The humans (and Mikleo I guess) should be somewhere between 17-19. Lilah's over 1000 if a short blurb they put on a poster is considered canon information lol, the rest I don't think ever had any real hints at their age.

Yeah I feel like I recall a skit having Dezel calling Rose an adolescent. Which makes sense, I guess.

Knurek

Anyone knows what the new patch on Steam does?

More checks for disabling Japanese OP?

I was about to ask the same thing. 12.7 MB patch, no notes yet.

I was thinking that some dev read about your shadow plugin and implemented a proper ingame fix, but no, blobs without GeDoSaTo running.

Durante

I was thinking that some dev read about your shadow plugin and implemented a proper ingame fix, but no, blobs without GeDoSaTo running.
Give them some credit, they aren't S-E :p

Maybe they fixed the audio startup issue (which was really the most pressing thing)? I can't test that, it didn't affect me.

Fisico

Edna, Lailah, Simmone and Zaveid are very, very very old. Zenrus is unmeasurably old and so is
Maotelus and the other current 5 lords
. Mikleo is almost considered a newborn by Seraph standards and Dezel is also considered "young" (by Simmone, at least). That's what I got from the game, but maybe I'm wrong.

From what I remember you're right, somehow I thought I read/heard that Edna was maybe a bit younger (like a hundred years on a thousand years scale lol) I wouldn't be able to pinpoint at which point in the game it's said though.
I don't think Simmone was the only one mentionning that Dezel was young too.

Do you guys think this is a better Tales game than Xillia?

I don't think there is a clear answer to that question, reading the thread it feels like a 50/50 and it mostly depends on your expectations regarding games and Tales in particular.

Well, I don't know if it's true, just that someone posted it on the Steam forums. Do let us know if it checks out.

It's true, I just checked with ToZFix set to 8 Channel audio (Which previously would crash unless set to 6 Channel)

But, we have a new problem! Thankfully it doesn't snore or have lethal breath, but it makes audio crackle!

Damn, and I was really beginning to like the music.

Maybe it's time I do something about it...

So I'm still fairly early on, just got Rose & Dezel and currently we're exploring some ruins. I've finally come to understand the skill/equipment/fusion system and I'm really enjoying the game now because of that. The
Rose 'Replacement'
Skit was funny, if a little on the nose.

Story is sorta ehhh so far, but I expected that. I'm liking this cast of characters overall a lot more than I thought I would. Just looking at them before playing the game, they seemed lame but I really like the seraphs. Had to take the Shepherd cloak off Sorey though, as I like him with a basic shirt more.

When do the pre-order outfits from past Tales games unlock? I've been looking for them in the fashion tab to no avail.

Fuu

So I'm still fairly early on, just got Rose & Dezel and currently we're exploring some ruins. I've finally come to understand the skill/equipment/fusion system and I'm really enjoying the game now because of that. The
Rose 'Replacement'
Skit was funny, if a little on the nose.

Story is sorta ehhh so far, but I expected that. I'm liking this cast of characters overall a lot more than I thought I would. Just looking at them before playing the game, they seemed lame but I really like the seraphs. Had to take the Shepherd cloak off Sorey though, as I like him with a basic shirt more.

When do the pre-order outfits from past Tales games unlock? I've been looking for them in the fashion tab to no avail.
You have to activate them through the submenu that's at the rightmost section in the Items menu, the one with a wireless symbol. They'll appear in the Fashion menu after that.

Fuu

Patch notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/351970/discussions/0/496880203082456464/

Tales of Zestiria v1.3 patch notes (November 3, 2015)
Thank you for supporting Tales of Zestiria on PC. Here are the fixes implemented in the latest patch:

o Fixed stability issues with 5.1 and 7.1 audio configurations
o Fixed missing voiceover with 5.1 and 7.1 audio configurations
o Fixed issue to display correct key icons and Xbox button icons after rebind
o Fixed issue to close Discovery point windows with LMB
o Removed option to rebind pad axis

Thank you!

WOOOOT!! just got my Collector's Edition today!!!

funny enough my CE was expected to arrive at gamestop between Oct.28-Nov.4 turned out it arrived at gamestop on Oct.22 and they never called me to say it arrived. I checked my secondary email last night and found out it had already been shipped and delivered! thank goodness they didn't sell it

Top Bottom