• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Ascenion

Do you guys think this is a better Tales game than Xillia?
Hmm, I really have to think about that. Story wise I feel more invested than Xillia and I think the cast is stronger probably the strongest since Vesperia imo. Gameplay wise 100% it's up there with Graces f for me so I guess overall I'd have to say yes.

Regardless of her exact age I love how Edna fits the "1000 year old demon loli" meme while still managing to be a great character. The wonders of self-awareness. The scene where she tries to
"charm" Pawan at the Earth Shrine
is hilarious.

What's so great about her character? She is annoying as fuck.

I can understand some Japanese and wow the translations with the jokes and other dialogue are way off or westernised I guess. These are the points where the jokes feel really corny or forced imo. Probably explains why I thought Graces f's story was so childish. Hopefully BN continue this trend of including both voiceovers, hearts vita only had Japanese voiceovers as well.

I think it is, ToX felt pretty gloomy. I've found ToZ to have the best JRPGey story so far(I've played all since graces f,so no vesperia) and the battle system changed quite a bit as well.
I'm only like 20 hours in though.

Edit- Also I'm broke af in this game due to fusing, first time this has happened in a tales game...Does this get better or should I go grind? I'm playing on Hard.

Shouta

Xillia is better by a lot. The story is way better in execution and content. The characters are also properly utilized & fit well within the plot. The combat system is more polished and just way more fun overall. It certainly has downsides like asset reuse and boring dungeons but the full package is better overall.

They should return to Vesperia's way of handling combo breakers for the next game.

The enemy will attempt to break out of your combo a few times but a well timed multi hit arte will keep them from escaping and they stop making attempts after a few tries.

yami4ct

Story wise, I like Xillia more. Characters are about equal for me (Though I like Mila way more than any character in Zestiria, but that's because she's awesome). I liked Xillia's combat more, but I like Zestriia's encounters better so Zestiria gets an edge on that. Zestiria has way better dungeon design.

Overall, I think I like Xillia a bit more, but I dig both quite a bit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Mikleo's alternate colors look great. Winter ice vibes is right.

I wonder if other continents in the Zestiria world would have the archetypical second set of Tales elements for their Seraphim - Ice, Lightning, Light and Dark.
There is a dark Seraphim that we know of, so...

I wonder if other continents in the Zestiria world would have the archetypical second set of Tales elements for their Seraphim - Ice, Lightning, Light and Dark.

how do you actually get the alt colors, I only got Edna's so far. Is it story related or did I randomly do something to correctly unlock it?

yami4ct

There are other continents? I'm not done with the game yet (on the Iris Gem hunt now), but I haven't seen it mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me, but the game has always references the land mass as 'the' continent, so I kind of assumed there might be a Pangea thing going on.

R0ckman

Sorey is just hibernating (for centuries) though.

Game doesn't really do a good job of driving that point home though, they kind of just make it seem like the characters are all on the same wave length and just know and accept that that's what needs to be done. Also hidden behind skits which are now more difficult to track. It did just feel really bad and could have been much better.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
how do you actually get the alt colors, I only got Edna's so far. Is it story related or did I randomly do something to correctly unlock it?
They seem to be from random story events. I just got Mikleo's by beating the elephant hellion for the Iris Gem quest, which had nothing to do with Mikleo at all.

There are other continents? I'm not done with the game yet (on the Iris Gem hunt now), but I haven't seen it mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me, but the game has always references the land mass as 'the' continent, so I kind of assumed there might be a Pangea thing going on.
I just assumed there would be others. Maybe Glenwood is the only continent. Although, the map showing the elemental shrines makes it seem like part of a bigger world.

Dugna

so I bought the Bathing Suit, School Suit, and Idolmaster set. Yet when I go into game after booting it up several times it doesn't register at all, I've even looked in the DLC sub tab in items and see nothing. Does the game need another update for these outfits to register?

bobohoro

I guess I'm heading to the final dungeon/boss/part of the game. Spoilers for Lohgrin:

And again, the story fails to deliver its core plot points by presenting a rather poor flashback, another boring boss fight against a human opponent and a totally convulted idea to attain the party's final goals. I don't know, the whole thing feels like it's missing so many story beats that would actually flesh out the skeleton that is there. Like it is, everything gets explained away by fate, destiny, oath and an increase of nakama power. Maybe I'm just beyond caring by this point, I guess, which is a shame, because the characters remain genuinly likeable, but they just go through a muddled journy and suffer stunted development as a result.

yami4ct

Think I just found this game's Victor.

The
Mayvin
fight is utter bullshit. He can stun you whenever you want, the fight comes out of nowhere, it makes zero use of the mechanics you've learned so far. He's just a giant HP stick that can wipe your party with one mystic arte or do a giant AOE that knocks everyone out of their animation. I've really liked the encounter design so far. I'm gutted they stooped to this.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
After finishing the
Earth Shrine
I spent a while juggling equipment between characters and trying new fusions, simultaneously keeping my old skill combinations and coming up with new ones. Both old and new equipment in my stash proved to be useful.

I also decided to fast travel to 3 different shops to get more equipment to boost my currently equipped ones and to purchase stuff I had ordered through Rose, keeping the skills I wanted by manipulating locked skills and empty slots. Even found a new Normin I had missed while I was at it and changed the one I had selected at Pendrago. At the end I managed to achieve the bonuses I wanted and came up with some combinations I hadn't thought of before. And I had a blast doing it.

Then I started making my way to the
Wind Shrine
and battling enemies in clusters, getting a good amount of grade and proficiency to unlock the new skills I acquired by fusing. Between chaining different Artes, Blasts, Armatizing, Mystic Artes, dodging, switching seraphs, etc, always something different to do during fights.

I had to stop playing while I was still exploring the gorge. Didn't even advance the plot, but doing the above while listening to a podcast was very relaxing (love the soundtrack, but I was stuck listening to the same two tracks for a while lol). I'm glad to be in the minority that enjoys fiddling with the systems in ToZ, both in and out of battles. The whole thing just clicked for me.

Bladenic

Think I just found this game's Victor.

The
Mayvin
fight is utter bullshit. He can stun you whenever you want, the fight comes out of nowhere, it makes zero use of the mechanics you've learned so far. He's just a giant HP stick that can wipe your party with one mystic arte or do a giant AOE that knocks everyone out of their animation. I've really liked the encounter design so far. I'm gutted they stooped to this.

It's always funny how Tales games or even most JRPGs have human bosses that are harder than giant monsters.

Edit: weird random fact. The ToZ perfect guide apparently gives the total damage % for each attack and mystic arte. Well Alisha's second mystic arte and Dezel's MA are 1000% lower than everyone else's corresponding MA. The Fire and Earth armatus strongest spells are also far stronger than the Water and Wind (which is funny since the fire and earth armatus are generally far more useful).

SolVanderlyn

Ok, so
Zaveid
has grown on me.
He's a lot like Zelos, except without the underlying emotional baggage - unlike Zelos he's not compensating for anything. He's just naturally a playful, womanizing jerk.

I do miss Dezel, though. Does the story ever explain who his mentor was, the one who was wearing his hat in the flashback?

yami4ct

Finally beat that asshole. Even after redoing all my equipment and getting a few levels, he was still awful. God dang. Easily the worst fight in the game so far. No question. What a bummer.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's always funny how Tales games or even most JRPGs have human bosses that are harder than giant monsters.

image.php

There's an extra scene back in Elysia near the end of the game where Sorey says something about wanting to see the land with volcanoes and a snowy region up north, so there's definitely more to the world than shown in the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I stopped doing the DLC coz for some reason, it's just hard and frustrating. Anyone wanna give me a summary? I'm at the Elise Ruins.

It depends. Some people prefer Xillia over Zestiria, some people prefer Zestiria over Xillia. I prefer this game over Xillia because:

- The game seems consistent in terms of themes
- The characters here are more entertaining (not to mention best girl Edna)
- More exploration than Xillia
- The soundtrack owns

The stories of both games can be a hit/miss for some, both stories feel rushed and incomplete towards the end.

I think Xillia is still better than Zestiria in overall, but Zestiria has pretty much entered my top 5 Tales of games on my list.

I stopped doing the DLC coz for some reason, it's just hard and frustrating. Anyone wanna give me a summary? I'm at the Elise Ruins.

I almost dropped it as well. I had to google several times to finally find the way to exit that damned 5-7 floors of the dungeon. It's just the worst.

I'd say, just drop it, the ending is not that satisfying anyway. My favorite parts of that DLC are only on the first hour.

Bowlie

Banned
I'm always intimidated by Hard mode in games, thinking I'll just get punched over and over (never managed Proud on KH games, for instance).

But after familiarizing myself with the skill system, learning to do quick evades, dodges to shorten cast, cancel/link my artes and interrupt the enemies' ones, exploit weakness and everything else, I cannot go back from Chaos.
It's just so fun when the whole thing *clicks*, like Fuu said above. Even if it takes longer, I leave a battle with the feeling that I did good.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm really hoping that they re-release some of the older games on PC.

ToX and ToV especially.

I never was able to get into this series before and it finally clicked with this one.

Also, I am using the dumbest ReShade/MasterEffect profile ever and I think it makes the game look great in motion. Replace the ReShade.fx file with this: http://pastebin.com/LQmErUyb

JJ Abrams lens flares everywhere

Stuart444

I'm really hoping that they re-release some of the older games on PC.

ToX and ToV especially.

I never was able to get into this series before and it finally clicked with this one.

Also, I am using the dumbest ReShade/MasterEffect profile ever and I think it makes the game look great in motion. Replace the ReShade.fx file with this: http://pastebin.com/LQmErUyb

JJ Abrams lens flares everywhere

ToX is a possibility. ToV, I hope doesn't happen unless it gets a PS4+ port localized. Mainly because otherwise, it will be ToV 360 version (aka the version the west got since it would be cheaper to port that than localize + port the PS3 version to PC) on the PC and will start up all the ToV PS3 shit again again. (not that it ever went away but the whole release would be talking about that...)

ToX is a possibility. ToV, I hope doesn't happen unless it gets a PS4+ port localized. Mainly because otherwise, it will be ToV 360 version (aka the version the west got since it would be cheaper to port that than localize + port the PS3 version to PC) on the PC and will start up all the ToV PS3 shit again again. (not that it ever went away but the whole release would be talking about that...)

I'll take a port of the 360 version of Vesperia over any other Tales game, especially given that we're not getting the PS3 version anyway. Who cares whether some people on the internet would complain about it, I'd like to play the game on a PC.

jrcbandit

Whomever thought the water temple was a good design choice needs to be fired from Bandai-Namco Studios.... I was having fun with the game until now. Might have to use a trainer to get unlimited bubble use or something, lol.

Too bad the Evangelion content didn't come out this week. I'll be done with the game in time for Fallout 4 and doubt I'll replay it anytime in the forseeable future.

Story wise, I like Xillia more. Characters are about equal for me (Though I like Mila way more than any character in Zestiria, but that's because she's awesome). I liked Xillia's combat more, but I like Zestriia's encounters better so Zestiria gets an edge on that. Zestiria has way better dungeon design.

Overall, I think I like Xillia a bit more, but I dig both quite a bit.

I feel like next time I have some free time to play a Tales game, it would be better off for me to replay Xillia (like all Tales games I have forgotten so much of the story) and then revisit Xillia 2 which I didn't get very far in rather than buying this one for 60 bucks at the moment.

Stuart444

I'll take a port of the 360 version of Vesperia over any other Tales game, especially given that we're not getting the PS3 version anyway. Who cares whether some people on the internet would complain about it, I'd like to play the game on a PC.

'Some people'

Pretty much most ToV posts on GAF, twitter, facebook, their blog, other forums, etc would be whining over it if a 360 -> PC port got announced.

(I'd buy it and love it mind but I know 'actual' discussion of the port would be drowned out by discussion on the port not being the PS3 version)

Alucrid

Banned
'Some people'

Pretty much most ToV posts on GAF, twitter, facebook, their blog, other forums, etc would be whining over it if a 360 -> PC port got announced.

(I'd buy it and love it mind but I know 'actual' discussion of the port would be drowned out by discussion on the port not being the PS3 version)

what we would be missing, patty and flynn? eh, i'd take 360 port over nothing.

'Some people'

I'd enjoy the game a lot more than that noise would bother me.

Gattsu25

Banned

I had to google this:
A port of the game for the PlayStation 3 was announced in April 2009. The port features full voice acting, containing nearly twice as much voice work as the original voice script, which covers previously unvoiced cutscenes in the 360 version. The game also features various new characters, has Flynn as a permanent playable character, and adds a new playable character in the form of Patty Fleur.[31] Speaking on why the port was being developed, a developer who worked on Vampire Rain, said that companies like Namco Bandai first developed for the Xbox 360 due to superior funding and development support when compared to Sony, then porting to PS3 with minimal effort so they could recoup development costs and add features that needed to be cut from the original game.[32]

The port was released on September 17, 2009.[33] It was later re-released as part of Sony's budget series release on August 2, 2012.[34] Speaking in January 2010, Namco Bandai announced that they had no plans to release the port overseas.[35] Later that year, Yuri's Englsih voice actor Troy Baker said that he had been recording new English dialogue for the PS3 port.[36] A report from a Namco Bandai employee sparked speculation that the reason behind the lack of a localization was due to a deal with Microsoft to keep the game as an Xbox 360 exclusive in western territories. Later, she retracted this statement, apologizing for creating false impressions.[37] Series producer Hideo Baba later said that the main factor in this decision was the strain put on the team with the simultaneous release of the original, meaning a Japan-exclusive release was chosen to lessen the burden. This also coincided with poor timing marketing feedback for the series in western territories.[29]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Vesperia#PlayStation_3_port

Edit: Changed to the original source.

'Some people'

Hey, I can't play Vesperia at all because I don't have a 360. I will gladly take a PC port of the 'inferior' version over nothing. (I'm aware the PS3 port has an english patch but mine can't use CFW, and to be honest using a translation guide while playing, combined with having to import the game sounds...ugh.)

Stuart444

Patty, Flynn, some more artes (Rita having Indignation being a big one).

And yes the first two alone is why so many people seem to be screaming for it. Even after being told it isn't going to happen.

It's a lot better nowadays but it was pretty bad before, the amount of noise people were making over it.

SolVanderlyn

Namco Bandai first developed for the Xbox 360 due to superior funding and development support when compared to Sony
That might explain why it's the only truly good looking Tales game.

Knurek

Tales of Destiny Remake port before Vesperia, make it happen.

Best of Tales collection:

Tales of the Abyss with fully voiced skits
Tales of Rebirth and Destiny R + Destiny II translated
Tales of Vesperia with PS3 adds

preorder to get Tales of Innocence and Tales of Hearts ports for free.

SolVanderlyn

Best of Tales collection:

Tales of the Abyss with fully voiced skits
Tales of Rebirth and Destiny R + Destiny II translated
Tales of Vesperia with PS3 adds

preorder to get Tales of Innocence and Tales of Hearts ports for free.
I, too, desire world peace and an end to world hunger

yami4ct

I'd take almost any Tales game over a port of Vesperia at this point. I like the game's story, but the battle system bored the shit out of me coming from the modern games. The massive boring world map that gave me tons of extra travel time didn't help either.

With Destiny, it'd give me an excuse to finally play that game. I'd also take Xillia so it can have a stable framerate during larger artes casts. Graces getting a port would give me an excuse to go back and finally really learn the combat.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Or better yet: Tales of Destiny Chronicles (which includes Tales of Destiny R + Tales of Destiny 2) for PS4/PC.

Dugna

So fighting
Maltran
and my party members KEEEP FREAKING DYING IN 2-3 HITS I seriously want to whoever programs the AI in Tales games to spend some time actually thinking about what they're doing, because losing a game not because of your skill but the AIs is really irritating.

SolVanderlyn

kjdlfkj3wrj32ur-02rpojefjodhngfsdhgo

I just lost about 4 hours because I died to a stupid $@)$($ "dangerous encounter"

Always save, folks

Now I have to fight Tiamat again, FFFFFF

Top Bottom