• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

i have a spare dlc code for the ps3 ce weapon skins and costumes. I wont play the console version of this ever and since i dont know if this code has an expiration date i will give it away now for free before it might be lost.

quote to see and give a short notice if you used it please

Taruranto

Reached the final boss save point.

Dunno if I'll do the side-quests. They are not bad per se, but I'm tired of wandering the same environments and ruins over and over. And the awful itemization makes quest rewards just lame.

SaintZ

Ugh, that (late game sidequest?)
Rose & Zaveid fight is the pits. They won't let me do anything and drain my HP in 5 seconds :mad:
I think I'll skip it.

Renmyra

Final boss spoilers

Is this for real? He just oneshots the AI and the only way I can do damage to him is via Armatize: Water. Eventually he just kills me with his megalaser.
Am I missing something? The characters keep talking about the Siegfried but there's no mention how to use it.

HiroTSK5

Final boss spoilers

Is this for real? He just oneshots the AI and the only way I can do damage to him is via Armatize: Water. Eventually he just kills me with his megalaser.
Am I missing something? The characters keep talking about the Siegfried but there's no mention how to use it.

Switch to Rose,
spam Dream Slasher

It's how I ended up fighting him.

Renmyra

Switch to Rose,
spam Dream Slasher

It's how I ended up fighting him.

God, what a horrible fight.
I guess I figured out you have to deal a certain amount of damage to him while he casts it. Too bad I can't do that with the shitty wind armatization.

Edit:
And it's not even consistent...

Cornbread78

kjdlfkj3wrj32ur-02rpojefjodhngfsdhgo

I just lost about 4 hours because I died to a stupid $@)$($ "dangerous encounter"
Always save, folks

This happened to me last night and I was pretty pissed since I only play a few hours a week, so essential it wasted 1/2 my time playing last night... uuggh..

Stuart444

With the final boss:

Use the weakest armatizations first. Make sure you tell the AI to focus on the arms (which you should have switched to during the charging/talking section). Don't neglect your divine blasts, they do a LOT of dmg I found, without the Earth divine blast, I would not have got him when it was down to me (armatized) and Rose.

Not sure if you can order the AI to armatize since I was playing it in MP but if you can, do so, two armatizations help a lot but if you can't, utilize the strongest combo you can with divine blasts.

Worst comes to worst, put down the difficulty.

Delio

This water dungeon is just wow. Just when i think i judge the distance to a safe spot well enough the eye just barely catches me and warps me on back. Boy sure is fun.

Reveirg

kjdlfkj3wrj32ur-02rpojefjodhngfsdhgo

I just lost about 4 hours because I died to a stupid $@)$($ "dangerous encounter"

Always save, folks

It completely baffles me that Tales games don't have some kind of retry (with or w/o penalty) for normal encounters. I always get caught at least once each game. It's 2015, there's no valid reason not to have it in this kind of game. Dragon Quest got it right in 1986!

Renmyra

With the final boss:

Use the weakest armatizations first. Make sure you tell the AI to focus on the arms (which you should have switched to during the charging/talking section). Don't neglect your divine blasts, they do a LOT of dmg I found, without the Earth divine blast, I would not have got him when it was down to me (armatized) and Rose.

Not sure if you can order the AI to armatize since I was playing it in MP but if you can, do so, two armatizations help a lot but if you can't, utilize the strongest combo you can with divine blasts.

I beat him, but it might as well have been pure luck. I will never know.
I went Water > Earth > Fire > Wind. I think you get a damage boost on the last one because it went down fast as fuck. Basically just spammed attacks in a safe spot and ressed Rose when he did his laser thing. Great fight... not. Glad I decided not to switch to Chaos when I unlocked it just before the Dinosaur.

Bladenic

This water dungeon is just wow. Just when i think i judge the distance to a safe spot well enough the eye just barely catches me and warps me on back. Boy sure is fun.

There's no judgment involved. The water veil lasts two eye views. So two squares. All the floor have squares, so it's not hard to judge. You just have to be careful about making sure to know where every eye is. And quick save.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there a point where the sidequests I have go away? I finished the four elemental trials and am unsure if I should move on or try to focus on them.

I think going forward they really need to look at how the party is handled in combat.

It's always been in the series in varying amounts but the level of babysitting necessary to keep your party alive can be quite annoying. It's really highlighted in Zestiria when I can quick dodge an enemies attack but if they so much as breathe in the general direction of my allies they just keel over instantly.

The AI just refuses to use defensive options consistently and more often than not does absolutely nothing to avoid damage from enemy attacks.

I'd like for them to change allied AI in future games to be more intelligent similar to God Eater: Burst for example.

The illusion of fighting with comrades that a party is supposed to produce kind of dissipates when they can't even dodge or defend on a consistent basis, requiring me to either leave them dead till the end of the fight or waste life bottles only for them to instantly die again in most cases which leads to just not reviving them and fighting solo.

Alucrid

Banned
With the final boss:

there's a battle skill that lets you push L1 and L2 to armatize the other npc

Ray Down

Banned
I got a question.

I just finished the second Zaveid fight, I know he replaces Dezel later on but when does that happen?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I got a question.

I just finished the second Zaveid fight, I know he replaces Dezel later on but when does that happen?
After the wind temple and your "return" to the battlefield, when you return to Pendrago.

Is it just me, or is there a difficulty spike at the end of the game?
Everything post Tiamat seems way harder than everything else so far. Eizen was ridiculous. We never got to see his seraphim form either :(

Ray Down

Banned
After the wind temple and your "return" to the battlefield, when you return to Pendrago.

Everything post Tiamat seems way harder than everything else so far. Eizen was ridiculous. We never get to see his seraphim form either :(

Thanks,
I just bested the wind trail.

TraBuch

Banned
So what's the consensus on this game? Loved Vesperia, liked Xillia, Abyss and Symphonia, didn't like Graces (Mainly because I despised Asbel). Is this for me?

Avalt

Not sure what's wrong. Here's what mine looks like on 10240. Do you have multiple controller drivers installed? Happen to reinstall the adaptor drivers?

http://puu.sh/l9xjC/9f245b841c.png
http://puu.sh/l9xkR/68afe8c1b2.png

Xbox Elite Controller works fine for me with the wireless adapter.

I got latest version of Windows 10 (retail).
The adapter driver version is 20.24.34.491, which installed automatically for me. Everything worked out of the box for me, didn't have to download any drivers or stuff for either the adapter or controller.

Stuart444

So what's the consensus on this game? Loved Vesperia, liked Xillia, Abyss and Symphonia, didn't like Graces (Mainly because I despised Asbel). Is this for me?

I'd say if you liked them, you'll probably like this. If you didn't like the battle system of Graces, you probably won't like the combat but you may like the rest of the game.

R0ckman

Everything post Tiamat seems way harder than everything else so far. Eizen was ridiculous. We never got to see his seraphim form either :(

It's so obviously rushed when you see the end of that side quest. Why couldn't they have just perfected this game?

TheFatMan

I am completely baffled by all the people complaining about the Water Temple. After seeing all the posts, I went into it figuring it was going to be "the" annoying dungeon in Zesteria.

Seriously....it was so simple, I honestly don't know how anyone gets frustrated with it. The first entire part of the dungeon literally LAYS OUT where not to step. And the last part, where you have to pay attention for yourself, is literally like one room.

Come on, if this is the hardest puzzle dungeon in the game then this is the easiest Tales of dungeon set we have had yet.

That said, I really enjoyed all the dungeons. Wind was probably the most boring of the bunch. The OST for these Temples are amazing. Some of the best music in the series to date!

bobohoro

So, uh, those villains in this game, man that's some deep characterization going on there. Close-to-end spoilers:

Maltran was well fleshed out. The only two things I remember about her are that she was Alisha's teacher and that she put a long stick in Asura's Sword to make it look kinda dumb. That whole heel turn of hers, the sword that cleaves worlds amounting to nothing more than ending up as a elonged toothpick and the throwaway character development of Alisha in the process are really...well, whatever.
Same thing with the furball in Rose's guild.
Or the dark seraphim loli.
Heck, even the Lord Of Calamity has a paper-thin backstory, told through some retro filtered standstills and his actions and presence never make much sense.
Best villain is still the fake shepard. Whatever happened to that dude after his antihero-fuckery with the pope?

Zestiria easily ranks among the bottom of the pile of the Tales games in terms of story. And that's saying something.

Bladenic

Wind was actually my favorite dungeon, go figure. Loved the look and the top of the tower. And yeah, the musical tracks were amazing. No wonder, since the legendia elemental dungeons had amazing music.

Also fun fact: the fusion Mystic Artes take their titles from the mystic artes of Reala from Tales of Destiny 2. Well, the JP titles anyway.

yami4ct

Wind was actually my favorite dungeon, go figure. Loved the look and the top of the tower. And yeah, the musical tracks were amazing. No wonder, since the legendia elemental dungeons had amazing music.

The top of the wind tower might be the prettiest the game has looked. That skybox was amazing. Getting down was actually way harder than getting up for me. In that case, there was a lot of going back up a floor to readjust doors and going back down. It definitely got slightly annoying, but not terrible.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So, uh, those villains in this game, man that's some deep characterization going on there. Close-to-end spoilers:

Maltran was well fleshed out. The only two things I remember about her are that she was Alisha's teacher and that she put a long stick in Asura's Sword to make it look kinda dumb. That whole heel turn of hers, the sword that cleaves worlds amounting to nothing more than ending up as a elonged toothpick and the throwaway character development of Alisha in the process are really...well, whatever.
Same thing with the furball in Rose's guild.
Or the dark seraphim loli.
Heck, even the Lord Of Calamity has a paper-thin backstory, told through some retro filtered standstills and his actions and presence never make much sense.
Best villain is still the fake shepard. Whatever happened to that dude after his antihero-fuckery with the pope?

Zestiria easily ranks among the bottom of the pile of the Tales games in terms of story. And that's saying something.
Each third of the game seems like it's trying to do something totally different. I know Tales games frequently have "arcs" where there's two or three parts to the story, but they all feel so thinly connected in Zestiria.

Story spoilers below:

Part 1: Sorey becomes the Shepard. Alisha is squire. You start sheparding and there's some background story about Hyland and its internal corruption. Standard story fare, nothing off about this part except maybe Lunarre and his people eating being dropped entirely and not picked up on again until way later. Same with Edna and Eizen. And Zaveid's intro, now that you mention Eizen... none of these plot threads are even hinted at until almost the very end of the game.

Part 2: Alisha leaves, Rose suddenly becomes a different character entirely and takes her place. Dezel comes with her for ominous reasons. You can tell the story's structure is waning when the game throws about seven sidequests at you at once, all of which tread a thin line between unrelated story vignette and integral to the main plot of the story, the iris gem quests being a good example. Or finding a new hideout for the Scattered Bones - lol woops, nevermind, the hideout is no good and they're going to go, um... back to where they were, I guess? None of the sidequests feel fleshed out enough. There's a lot of lead-ins to things, with the constant hints to Dezel's past and the young Emperor of Rolance, and the pacing of the game changes. The lead-ins are fine here, but fall apart in the last third, so the game is setting you up for disappointment in this regard. The main story is still good here, though. The elemental trials are really nice and the character interaction reaches its height here.

Part 3: Here's where everything falls apart, starting with Dezel's death and flashback scene. This is the game's finale, where we expect to see the resolution to the plot threads hinted at earlier, but they are all - and I mean literally all of them - rushed to the point where they feel inconsequential. Dezel's flashback doesn't really make any sense, who is that other guy, how does he know Zavied, how does Zaveid know Eizen, who even is Zaveid and how did he get that gun and if it's so special why did he waste it fighting Sorey for NO REASON, why is Zaveid wearing Dezel's hat ("let me fill the Dezel shaped hole in your party" - LOL), why is Eizen a random sidequest you get from sleeping at an inn and how come we don't see his seraphim form, who is loli girl and why is she the only dark seraphim, what exactly did Heldalf and her do in between being cursed and becoming an evil lion man, the list goes on. Then there's every villain that didn't get their chance to shine getting thrown at you in a gauntlet of "villains we forgot about" boss fights with very little exposition or resolution. Oh and by the way, did you know Mikleo was a human baby and his uncle was the previous shepard? Because the game does a terrible job of telling you that.

The world, characters and plot are all actually very good in this game, but the story's execution becomes progressively worse until the end of the game.

jrcbandit

Each third of the game seems like it's trying to do something totally different. I know Tales games frequently have "arcs" where there's two or three parts to the story, but they all feel so thinly connected in Zestiria.

snip

The world, characters and plot are all actually very good in this game, but the story's execution becomes progressively worse until the end of the game.

I agree, I haven't finished the game yet but I am enjoying the game as a I play, the characters, etc but the story is getting progressively worse with little to no real answers. I'm especially confused about Dezel's back story.

So once the Windrunners started working for the prince, did Dezel enable the prince to become a hellion accidentally because Dezel wanted the troop to keep wandering the world instead of staying in one spot? And then he blocked it out of his mind that he was the one who caused the prince to become a hellion instead of loli chick? They also didn't explain anything about his friend and why they were following the troop in the first place other than they just liked hanging around for whatever reason. Also, Rose looked far too old in the flashback, I expected her to be a kid from what the story sounded like (and her surrogate dad looked about the same age as her lol). You'd think they would have shown the troop leader being friends with the Seraphim or something, otherwise it is just two Seraphim creeping on some humans who can't even see them.

Well, I'm bowing out of hard for boss fights. Probably won't even bother with moderate. Normal encounters are not a problem but the bosses are literally sucking all of my enjoyment from the game. Forever a noob with these games, I guess.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
QP63TQt.jpg

NayzmJH.png

First boss I manage to beat without a single KO on moderate on my first try.
Dullahan, Wind Shrine boss.

The top of the wind tower might be the prettiest the game has looked. That skybox was amazing. Getting down was actually way harder than getting up for me. In that case, there was a lot of going back up a floor to readjust doors and going back down. It definitely got slightly annoying, but not terrible.
Any reason you didn't just fast travel to the bottom? That's what I did after I was done with it since I had gotten all the chests on my way up.

PKrockin

Playing on hard here, I haven't had to babysit my allies that much. Definitely not as much as most previous Tales games. They're mostly just getting boned when I fuck off somewhere while multiple enemies target one ally.

I got Rose the BG column bonus skill that gives 1 BG when the gauge reaches 0 though. I think that's really helping her keep up the Elixir Vitaes, armatizes for revives and such.

lol Edna.

Fuu

Btw it was pretty funny for a second seeing this "4100 grade" after a trash fight, it was the first time I got a 100 after the dot.

UAhpFGm.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Damn you PC players and your screenshots. How many times have I instinctively pressed share only to be given the finger by Bamco's weird decision to wall off screenshots/videos on PS4?

Fuu

The thread is indeed severely lacking in screenshot fun due to that limitation on the PS4 version. Here are a few non-spoiler random funny ones I took.

Sounds legit:

F63552C200B0C6125B1A0AC2D085A0E60BABBC10

Mikleo and Sorey being obvious:

80FBA830BF3CF6BA9C3E062E3DB68B1E30B5840E

71C76AEDCBF52B4741388D41F638B93C0EB1E41C

Edna goodness:

B16459D42775B5EC513A942C52039A776CEAAAEE

994D42D8B7DBC0D75EF834D94FC50E03F0E83738

Lol:

5AE80959D6C38295750FBDFD99BCC7DC614D20A5

Bladenic

Wait can the AI use the healing spells while armatized? They never do for me.

Also this could be a controller issue but sometimes I have to press L1 multiple times before I armatize, it's weird.

Top Bottom