• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TalkTalk is awful...

I called them up about terminating my contract with their 'Fast Broadband' package, because I only get 1 MBPS, so I cannot watch any HD streams. I cannot get fibre in my area, as I live in a flat. 👎

But after I talked to somebody from the loyalty department, they said to call back in a month as it will be cheaper to cancel then. 🤳

They wanted to know if I was moving house. I said yes, I will be someday. I didn't say when, because the council has to me house me elsewhere first. So I think they're investigating this for some reason.

I can get unlimited data with my mobile provider. It's a little bit slow indoors, but the speed is great outdoors, and even indoors it's usually better than theirs is. And yet I pay much less.

This guy doesn't like TalkTalk either. They're fucking shite. 🥰

I'm with TalkTalk and have had no problems with their fibre optic 150mb package. For around £30 a month you get blistering speeds, though phone services aren't included to my knowledge. They do annoyingly have cancellation fees if you want to downgrade your current package or want to change provider, that's something I didn't see coming when I wanted a cheaper one.

Try doing some diagnostics and test on your end using free online tools, aside from that there's not much you can do. Sucks fibre isn't an option, but if you're living in council housing then hot water might not be an option either. Beggers can't be choosers OP.

I cannot get fibre in my accommodation, as I live on the second floor. What's funny though is that when the tech guy showed up in March last year to install the router, he said he had to run a cable outside all the way up to my door.

Well, I had my TV on a trolley in my narrow hallway, as I wanted to plug in an ethernet cable to see if the speed would improve that way. My phone socket is in the hallway near my bedroom door, so the cable being only a few meters in length, would not reach my living room. But I didn't see different results.

I was with Giffgaff. They have an 'always on' data pack for £35, but it's not unlimited. After 80 GB is used, they reduce your speed from 8 in the morning until midnight, which is when you're being "throttled" for using up the monthly allowance. You'll also find that because it's a shared network, the cronies on Wikipedia may have already blocked the IP address assigned to you for anonymous editing. Sometimes it's not the case for creating or editing with accounts. But that's because the IP address with a mobile network is shared. There's hardly any proxies that work. So that's one con to using mobile data.

I just noticed that mobile data doesn't always work well indoors, because of the signal being from towers rather than a cable. Outside though, it's fine. I don't really download much. Although 'downloading' is just an umbrella term for all data usage, I suppose.

Amory

Talk Talk internet is so bad OP can't even stream these Talk Talk music videos.

And that's a shame. Because Talk Talk is really good (Talk Talk the band, not Talk Talk the internet provider).

Talk Talk.

I tried moving to them years ago and could never even get an internet connection. They blamed my MacBook and said they didn't do internet for Macs :messenger_tears_of_joy: Fucking idiots.

I'm with Virgin Media. If you want fast internet and I mean anything beyond 70Mb/s then VM is the only choice. At least where I am. BT/Sky/TalkTalk can only offer up to 70Mb/s. What that means is VM can basically charge any price they want because it's not like I can go anywhere else and get 250-300Mb/s. The cunts are wanting £64/month for 200Mb/s. Not phone line or TV....just broadband. I'm going to need to phone them up and talk some sense into them.

Also, VM seems to be going down a lot these days. So it's not like they are offering good service. I wish I could just use the internet on my phone.... because I can get Unlimited 5G (400-500Mb/s) for £35/month. I had to rely on it when VM went down and it got me by but it was so unstable and it is a pain in the ass having to connect all my devices to my phone and constantly leave my phone plugged in or charge it up all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

INC

I use to be a sub contractor engineer for them, and they're horrific

I'd never go with talktalk, just having to deal with their call centres is enough to never use them

Last edited:

Drew1440

Papa Elon will save you with Starlink
Also how far are you from the exchange? Open reach should at least have some form of VDSL Fibre for your area, might be worth checking with BT.

Papa Elon will save you with Starlink
Also how far are you from the exchange? Open reach should at least have some form of VDSL Fibre for your area, might be worth checking with BT.
Starlink is fucking expensive.

it's like £95/month if you wanna rent the hardware. if not it's £460 ( i see they are doing a £300 offer) to buy the hardware and pay £80/month. and you gotta be in a place with no obstructions. the fov of the dish needs to be clear. even trees can cause drops in speed or connection.

it's amazing for people out in the middle of nowhere and maybe even some suburban houses. i think i could get it set up on my roof without any obstructions but that price is insane. i'd probably cough up the £460 but fuck paying £80/month. if they can bring it down to £40-50 then i'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom