• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

teraMEL0S

You know, I'm not sure if the buttons are mockups just thrown into the trailer, but if you download the L.A. Noire trailer on your Xbox 360 console, it displays all of the Xbox buttons as if the trailer had footage taken from that version of the game. If that is the case, it is completely identical (but of course on 3 discs!).

And nice OT! 360 preordered!!!

Montresor

lucius said:
I preordered the PS3 version, I think the 2 version will be hard to tell the difference, but I am running out of space on 360 and I don't want one game taking up like 25 gigs.

I love my 250gig slim. Ever since I got it I've been installing games left and right. I think I have 12+ games installed right now and I have 20+ gigs of Rock Band DLC and I still have 85 gigabytes of free space. I'm gonna very comfortably install LA Noire. <3

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I can't wait for this game. After reading the preview for this by Alex Navarro at GiantBomb, I've been hyped. Day 1.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Nice OT. Love the eight pictures of Coles face, it really shows how well. the motionscan system works. Did you make that passport thing? Its a great OT though you can tell you got lazy towards the end those headings are too close together.

PS3 version for me. Dont really care about superior version graphically with this game because its not really a hugely graphically intensive game anyway.

Only one week now!

I will now be bobbing my head side to side with a big smile on my face, while singing "Watchin' faces, solvin' cases" as I play this game.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Are you serious? There are (gorgeous and amazing) posters all over New York City, a pretty prominent metropolitan area. (That one with the steering wheel? Looks like a Sean Phillips Criminal cover? AMAZING marketing.)
Yea there's ads all over nyc, just about every train station I go into had an ad at the top of the entrance. Not to mention there's probably a few huge ads on the side of buildings that rockstar always seem bonuses for their games.

I don't know about you guys but I really hope action/killing is kept a minimum in this game.

For me, RDR was somewhat ruined by the fact you killed 1000s of guys by the end of the game. It was so immersive that it just felt wrong. I would've much preferred if missions had you have one enemy to face, rather than waves of them.

I feel the same about this game - I want a lot of down time, just investigating, looking for clues, going about your business as a cop. Chase down criminals? Sure. The odd car chase? That's fine. However, if by the end of the game I've shot my way through half of the city, I will feel slightly disappointed, to be honest. Everything else about this game looks like it has captured police work pretty damn well, I don't want to have ultimately killed more people than the criminals I'm after.

The reality of making a video game for a mass audience means this will probably be the case, but eh, I hope it's not too bad. Certain quotes have certainly implied you will be doing more mundane things, which is good. I'm just curious to see how dedicated they'll be to that and what direction they'll take.

Been looking forward to this game since the initial trailer. For a brief while I thought it was vaporware but then snapped out of it and just believed it was just too awesome to show too early.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't know about you guys but I really hope action/killing is kept a minimum in this game.

For me, RDR was somewhat ruined by the fact you killed 1000s of guys by the end of the game. It was so immersive that it just felt wrong. I would've much preferred if missions had you have one enemy to face, rather than waves of them.
This is almost exactly my only major quibble with the original Condemned.

lucius

Montresor said:
I love my 250gig slim. Ever since I got it I've been installing games left and right. I think I have 12+ games installed right now and I have 20+ gigs of Rock Band DLC and I still have 85 gigabytes of free space. I'm gonna very comfortably install LA Noire. <3

I got like 40 gigs left on my 250HD, I deleted most stuff I don't need but I like having even games I beat installed since most are pretty good to great games and worth playing more than once. I like having all my games ready to pop in and play off the HD, I never play games anymore straight from the disc too much risk imo in putting strain on the system.

dwebo

Nice OT!

Yeah, that launch trailer was a bit action-heavy, but I guess the more this looks like GTA/RDR in 40s LA, the better for Rockstar's bottom line.

JBuccCP

Foliorum Viridum said:

I feel the same about this game - I want a lot of down time, just investigating, looking for clues, going about your business as a cop. Chase down criminals? Sure. The odd car chase? That's fine. However, if by the end of the game I've shot my way through half of the city, I will feel slightly disappointed, to be honest. Everything else about this game looks like it has captured police work pretty damn well, I don't want to have ultimately killed more people than the criminals I'm after.

The reality of making a video game for a mass audience means this will probably be the case, but eh, I hope it's not too bad. Certain quotes have certainly implied you will be doing more mundane things, which is good. I'm just curious to see how dedicated they'll be to that and what direction they'll take.
I would love it if it were something like the SWAT games even, and there was the possibility of criminals surrendering so you could arrest them. But I'm expecting all the bad guys to have odd death wishes and think getting into shootouts with the cops will somehow end well for them.

Riposte

I don't think this game will be as good as I want it to be, but I am still happy it exists on aesthetics alone. The shooting part will probably be uninteresting, but I really want to see if they can pull off the adventure-like aspects and the RPG storyline.

bud

does anyone know anything about the soundtrack? can you listen to the radio while driving around?

i'm super excited for this.

JBuccCP said:
I would love it if it were something like the SWAT games even, and there was the possibility of criminals surrendering so you could arrest them. But I'm expecting all the bad guys to have odd death wishes and think getting into shootouts with the cops will somehow end well for them.
Being able to arrest a good majority of criminals is exactly the type of thing I want. Your gun should be left as a last resort in a really fucked up situation.

It'd be cool that even if you lost a suspect it wasn't mission failed, retry, etc etc. But I don't know if that would be the case.

Rockstar( and team bondi) really need to get back on the PC wagon. This is just depressing. Will probably pick up on PS3 after i play the Witcher 2.

To all scandinavians: GAME is running an insane deal on the game in Norway/Sweden/Denmark.

If you have a membership there you can buy it for 449NOK (and the equivalent for Denmark/Sweden) and get the entire amount back if you trade it in withing two weeks of release.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Atomski said:
Are you saying bum fights are uncommon?
I thought that game could have been an all-timer if they made the confrontations rarer and more challenging. It really had the shell of a great creepy investigative game. Of course then they turned around and went completely in the other direction for the monstertastic sequel.

Oni Jazar said:
Wish there was a technical comparison between the two versions.

yeah, for some reason it concerns me more than most games. I have the 360 version ordered but this game seems like one where watching and listening to conversations is the meat. I'm hoping that by putting it on three DVDs, they can have better quality audio and all that. Then again, wasn't there a stink with FF13? I don't even know if they have shown the 360 version because all the video is from the PS3 one.

It's weird because they have barely shown off any action. I can't tell if that's just because the main game has little action or something else. I'm hoping there are foot chases like in that old original trailer.

AstroLad said:
I thought that game could have been an all-timer if they made the confrontations rarer and more challenging. It really had the shell of a great creepy investigative game. Of course then they turned around and went completely in the other direction for the monstertastic sequel.
In general, I think a lot of games need to rely less on combat and enemies.

It suits some games, but a lot of others would benefit from having a combat situation be so unique that it's really intense and challenging. It would be interesting to play and benefit the narratives.

Big-ass Ramp

Foliorum Viridum said:
Being able to arrest a good majority of criminals is exactly the type of thing I want. Your gun should be left as a last resort in a really fucked up situation.

It'd be cool that even if you lost a suspect it wasn't mission failed, retry, etc etc. But I don't know if that would be the case.

I really hope this is what it's like. I'm kind of sick of R* games that has you play an everyman...who just happens to kill 1000s of people.

Anyone know what the level of customization is? Can you just switch full suits? Can I take off the hat if I want? Can I unbutton the jacket or change the colour of the tie?

Big Ass Ramp said:
I really hope this is what it's like. I'm kind of sick of R* games that has you play an everyman...who just happens to kill 1000s of people.
I love that I'm having a conversation about less killing in games with a man who (I hope) took his username from 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand!

:p

Big-ass Ramp

Foliorum Viridum said:
I love that I'm having a conversation about less killing in games with a man who (I hope) took his username from 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand!

:p

Hahaha. Yeah, you're right about the origin of my name.

50 Cent is not an everyman, I fully expect him to kill hordes of people.

dwebo

I don't think they've confirmed Euphoria, but all R* games use it as physics middleware, right?

Then again, maybe it's too taxing to implement.

StuBurns

Banned
dwebo said:
I don't think they've confirmed Euphoria, but all R* games use it as physics middleware, right?

Then again, maybe it's too taxing to implement.
Well Rockstar's games are on RAGE and that has Euphoria implemented so it makes sense to use it with RAGE games, but this isn't a RAGE title.

MollyMillions said:
I anticipate being annoyed when PSN isn't up for me to download the DLC case on Tuesday.

Fixed.

Changed 'if' to 'when' for you.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Anyone know what the level of customization is? Can you just switch full suits? Can I take off the hat if I want? Can I unbutton the jacket or change the colour of the tie?

I'm guessing it will be like RDR. So just switch between preset costumes. No micromanagement of ties, shoes, etc.

stupei

So the Gamestop preorder DLC for this: on your pre-order receipt or on one of those cards on release day? Anyone know? Don't think my receipt had one but it's been a really long time since they had the cards so I wasn't sure if I should go back to the store and have them print out a new one before they run out.

AEREC

Has there been any word of technical differences between the consoles yet?

Ive got the PS3 version on preorder and will keep it that way unless there are some huge differences.

AEREC said:
Has there been any word of technical differences between the consoles yet?

Ive got the PS3 version on preorder and will keep it that way unless there are some huge differences.

if its anything like GT4 we did not know anything about the differences until the game was released.. correct?

AEREC

StuBurns said:
Well Rockstar's games are on RAGE and that has Euphoria implemented so it makes sense to use it with RAGE games, but this isn't a RAGE title.

Is this 100% confirmed somewhere? I keep hearing it but Ive never seen any proof and the game looks like it's using RAGE (aside from the faces).

PooBone

This game looks awesome, but I am cautiously waiting for reviews. I've not enjoyed a Rockstar game since Vice City, including GTA4 and RDR. This game actually reminds me more of Heavy Rain than either of those titles though.

Top Bottom