• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

I was getting lots of weird lag spikes when I played a few hours ago (just quit like an hour ago too). Not consistent stuff, but some tiny rollbacks/lag at random points on the server. I don't know which one it was... I guess central? I only saw one server up in my favorites and I logged on at like 11pm EST.

edit: whichever one it was, I've never had lag spikes like that before, so either I need to reset my modem, or my tf2 is messed up with all the recent patches, or the server might have been bugging out. and that new SD is kinda crap because it "forces" everyone to be soldier, but then you can just switch in the respawn room like any other SD... if you want to get rid of the boring stalemate crap just shorten the duration of SD (it can't be hard, I've played on a lot of pub servers where SD is only 90 seconds long) and/or turn it into a melee-only instagib round or something. Not sure if that'd work just for SD, though.

Sorry about earlier guys, I had some weird error message pop up during the match on Dustbowl and my game crashed. Couldn't get it to work after that :/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, I just had the greatest idea if we absolutely must mod Sudden Death:

Every 10 seconds without a kill after the initial 30, somebody is randomly selected to die from each team. When one team decides they aren't going to camp, the server spares them and they keep the man advantage. The team that doesn't have man advantage has a huge incentive to get it back before they lose just from the clock. Even if both teams never leave spawn on a full server, it won't last any longer than two and a half minutes. Putting the fear of god in players is so much more effective than having everyone be melee where you can STILL hide and prolong the round, to say nothing of crude hacks just to make it somewhat balanced.

BTW, you're right about stats being messed up. Nothing in the past several days has been recorded for me. :(

Jacobi

Banned
Weird bug I experienced yesterday. I always had the "medi ray", (i was playing as an engineer and demo). Disappeared when I used medic :lol
4b504a3663c3d155c5c3a9510.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jacobi said:
Weird bug I experienced yesterday. I always had the "medi ray", (i was playing as an engineer and demo). Disappeared when I used medic :lol
[IMG/]http://image-upload.biz/files/4b504a3663c3d155c5c3a9510.jpg[/IMG]

Oh snap look who is killing tek :lol .

I had a similar bug as well with the medic, my beam was just reaching insane lengths even though it wasnt actually doing anything. Had to just press my mouse button once and it went away.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Firestorm said:
Is there a way to make the game save as jpgs instead of these 2 MB tgas?
Go into the console, type "bind F5 jpeg." Make sure to also set "jpeg_quality" to 100.

Unfortunately, the game won't recognize it as a proper screenshot, meaning that kill-cam shots won't have the modified reduced HUD (with the name moved to the corner), and they won't be saved as "(so-and-so) is looking good!"

On a similar note:

cp_dustbowl0013.jpg

:mad:

1-D_FTW

Isn't the password: neogaf2k7? Cause it's not working for me.

EDIT: I see Icy is on the central server, but the password isn't working for us.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Icy said:
Sudden Death is fixed now. and Yes everyone is soldier.
Boo, I hate that. Switched to Sudden Death when it was 2-0, we ended up losing because their team used Soldiers more (which is why we were beating them in the first place, they weren't balanced enough!). Essentially punishes teams whose members don't focus on one class, and rewards the ones that do.

Oh, and yeah, Central is fux0red for me too. Passwords won't work.

1-D_FTW

Boo, I hate that. Switched to Sudden Death when it was 2-0, we ended up losing because their team used Soldiers more (which is why we were beating them in the first place, they weren't balanced enough!).

Oh, and yeah, Central is fux0red for me too. Passwords won't work.

I think it should be scouts. Soldiers just mass at the choke points and it becomes really random about who gets popped when they expose themselves and who is the victor. It seems a lot more random than skill based.

1-D_FTW

Jacobi said:

I sat there for 5 minutes and nobody joined.

Played a little on East, but my team flat out sucked. Final life I played, I flanked behind and killed two medics and a heavy. And I was rewarded by seeing five guys sitting on the capture point. One of those occasionally inept teams it's not even worth trying on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
JoeFu and I totally punked a pair of demomen behind the rock near the final cap in Dustbowl area 2. Both fist kills. :lol

It's a shame stats are broken. I got a LOT of bone saw and fist kills tonight. :lol

Davidion

Good games tonight...though I was apparently everyone's favorite domination target.

Joefu seems to be particularly adept at using me for target practice, apparently...

JoeFu

Banned
Hitokage said:
JoeFu and I totally punked a pair of demomen behind the rock near the final cap in Dustbowl area 2. Both fist kills. :lol

It's a shame stats are broken, I got a LOT of bone saw and fist kills tonight. :lol

That was epic.

Davidion said:
Joefu seems to be particularly adept at using me for target practice, apparently...

You kept uncloaking right in front of me. :lol

Davidion

JoeFu said:
You kept uncloaking right in front of me. :lol

I'm really not a good spy. :lol Or rather, i just haven't gotten the hang of it in TF2 yet. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the mouse interface of the classes with secondary multiple functions (ie. engies and spies).

The Storyteller said:
Yes. I witnessed this. At 2 frames per second.

Yeah I had a moment of severe lag or two which is really rare with this server. Usually everything is smooth like water.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's better to just use your keyboard. I have a hard time remembering which way on the mouse wheel I need to go in a split-second. So I frequently set up what two items I switch between and use 'q', but some classes like the heavy have equally good options so I wasn't using 'q'.

EDIT: Nice! I was just thinking how I stayed up until 4am playing TF2, but it's only 3am. Thank you, DST changeover!

Davidion

Hitokage said:
It's better to just use your keyboard. I have a hard time remembering which way on the mouse wheel I need to go in a split-second. So I frequently set up what two items I switch between and use 'q', but some classes like the heavy have equally good options so I wasn't using 'q'.

EDIT: Nice! I was just thinking how I stayed up until 4am playing TF2, but it's only 3am. Thank you, DST changeover!

Oh right, it's only 2!

*runs back to the servers*

Rlan

On some servers I sometimes have these problems with players when they die:

well1.jpg

well2.jpg

Any idea why that happens?

Also, would anyone be able to show me how to do a long binding command, which would Remove the HUD entirely, including my own player model and all the text, and another which returns all of it?

firex

ctf_2fort0000.jpg
I'm a demo in this screenshot, but I spent most of the map playing pyro. I also spent a little while playing medic and engineer, but there was nobody good on offense for medic so I kept switching off between demo and pyro. My team lost (because the engineers were retarded and wouldn't build sentries in the intel room) but it was still loads of fun.

Icy

Banned
Rlan said:
On some servers I sometimes have these problems with players when they die:

Any idea why that happens?

Also, would anyone be able to show me how to do a long binding command, which would Remove the HUD entirely, including my own player model and all the text, and another which returns all of it?

random map bugs. Happens to eveyrone now and then.

Icy

Banned
as much as I'd like to try hitokage's suggesiton, gonna take some time to code.

So the class restriction is off in sudden death. But there's no building of anything by an engineer :D

Kweh

Loving the Demoman currently, gave it a try a while back and just couldn't get the hang of it, but determined to this time around and I'm learning, and its ever so satisfying luring the enemy to your sticky bombs.

Quick question : How would I bind a key to say "Thank You" through the voice menu ?

Jacobi

Banned
Got the same feelings kweh, I finally get the feeling of the demo, which was mostly the least played class for me.

Had some problems with map rotation&voting on east.

Doytch

Kweh said:
Loving the Demoman currently, gave it a try a while back and just couldn't get the hang of it, but determined to this time around and I'm learning, and its ever so satisfying luring the enemy to your sticky bombs.

Quick question : How would I bind a key to say "Thank You" through the voice menu ?

I just can't get the hang of demo. I feel so damn crippled when I'm one on one with someone, and I'd probably have to change my play style to make it work.

And as for your question, I dunno, I always just slam "z" and "2".

maus

Well i can't play tf2 anymore cause of this stupid fucking "OS paged pool" memory error. Apparently AVG, Kaspersky, and Nod32 can cause this issue. Worked fine for a month; i'm not uninstalling my Kaspersky in order to fix this.. pretty pissed at this. Source games have been extremely problematic for me, yet they've always worked fine at one point.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
maus said:
Well i can't play tf2 anymore cause of this stupid fucking "OS paged pool" memory error. Apparently AVG, Kaspersky, and Nod32 can cause this issue. Worked fine for a month; i'm not uninstalling my Kaspersky in order to fix this.. pretty pissed at this. Source games have been extremely problematic for me, yet they've always worked fine at one point.

When was the last time you got a virus? 5 years ago? Just disable it when you are going to play TF2. If that doesn't work then hrmm.

maus

Tried disabling it, same deal. Threads on the error are saying to uninstall whichever anti-virus i'm using. Fuck that! I've got a gig of ram and only run crucial processes, drives are constantly defragged, it's a tight ship. No reason hl2.exe should be sucking up all my memory.

Icy

Banned
maus said:
Tried disabling it, same deal. Threads on the error are saying to uninstall whichever anti-virus i'm using. Fuck that! I've got a gig of ram and only run crucial processes, drives are constantly defragged, it's a tight ship. No reason hl2.exe should be sucking up all my memory.

thats why right there. Get another GB of ram and you will be fine. Its a scalable game yes, but still has some decent memory requirements.

1-D_FTW

evlcookie said:
When was the last time you got a virus? 5 years ago? Just disable it when you are going to play TF2. If that doesn't work then hrmm.

Firefox, no filesharing, and e-mail filtering make me bomb proof too. Anti-virus programs suck ass and I'm bullet-proof without any. You hear me virus Gods? I'm laughing at you. I'm bullet proof.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Firefox, no filesharing, and e-mail filtering make me bomb proof too. Anti-virus programs suck ass and I'm bullet-proof without any. You hear me virus Gods? I'm laughing at you. I'm bullet proof.

same here. the only time I got something was when I ran a file I didn't know where it originated. Quick run of SpyBOT S&D took care of it.

maus

I uninstally kaspersky cause i really wanted to fucking play tonight and it's still happening. Adding ram is not something i'm going to do, only have 4 slots, each with a 256 stick in it. And that's besides the point, when the game used to run, it ran without a hitch, max settings. I've tried lowering textures with no result, the game's borked for me. Just another source game that decided to completely fuck itself up.

edit: if i uninstall tf2 are all my stats/map downloads gonna be wiped?

Kweh said:

bind "key_you_want_here" "voicemenu 0 1"

For future reference, the first number is the menu #.
0 = z
1 = x
2 = c

The second number is the actual voice command from that menu. Just remember that it will always be one less than what is displayed in-game though because it actually starts at 0 when using this command.

firex

maus said:
For whatever reason I don't have this problem anymore, and I use AVG. I had it come up once with Episode 2, and then I rebooted since my computer had been on for like a month straight and it never came up again.

Javaman

maus said:
I uninstally kaspersky cause i really wanted to fucking play tonight and it's still happening. Adding ram is not something i'm going to do, only have 4 slots, each with a 512 stick in it. And that's besides the point, when the game used to run, it ran without a hitch, max settings. I've tried lowering textures with no result, the game's borked for me. Just another source game that decided to completely fuck itself up.

I'm running on a gig along with a Radeon X200 and was having a bunch of crash issues a couple weeks ago. Apparently the game keeps resetting my advanced video settings to a much higher recommended set then what my computer can handle. Have you checked the video settings before loading a map? They may be changing.

maus

I turned everything down. It used to get into the game and give me a Low Pooled Memory Error at the top right after a while until it finally crashed. Now it doesn't even load up. I'm convinced Source is just a shitty engine that somehow crosses its own wires after a while and makes things stop working; i had similar symptoms with cs:source a while back. I used to run cs:s on 512 ram; tf2 should not be a problem on a gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom