• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Javaman said:
I'm running on a gig along with a Radeon X200 and was having a bunch of crash issues a couple weeks ago. Apparently the game keeps resetting my advanced video settings to a much higher recommended set then what my computer can handle. Have you checked the video settings before loading a map? They may be changing.
Do you have a -dxlevel set in your launch options? I believe leaving it in there will reset your settings every time. You run the game with it once and it will continue to run at that dxlevel even after you remove it. After you remove it, it should start remembering your settings.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Icy said:
thats why right there. Get another GB of ram and you will be fine. Its a scalable game yes, but still has some decent memory requirements.
I got a warning a while ago and the actual messages described a situation where it was running out of room in the space it had allocated for itself, not total memory.

firex

I run tf2 on super low settings with 1gb ram and a 6600gt 256mb version and it's fine (I consider 20-30 fps fine). but I don't know what kind of specs maus's video card has.

maus

reinstalling... shit better work. i don't look forward to using system restore just to try and make this game work like it used to.

firex: x700 256mb. practically the same thing. i was running it on high just without hdr and i'd get those same frames.

Hitokage said:
I got a warning a while ago and the actual messages described a situation where it was running out of room in the space it had allocated for itself, not total memory.
Maybe the setting, mem_max_heapsize "space_in_mb", would help?

By the way, the -heapsize command line option doesn't do anything in the newer source engine games such as TF2. There is now a console command called "mem_max_heapsize" where you specify the max heapsize in megabytes. You can try adding this to your autocfg. The default value is 256MB I believe but most people recommend you set it to half of your system memory.

Several GAF members were involved in our first tournament where we won our first match 4-0!

Me, Cheeto(WhatRuOn), Zanboo, and Quellex. Other members were Omega and DeathToll_David, but I don't believe they're GAFfers.

\m/

Congrats to all of you. I would have joined you guys but I can only play every other Sunday at most. omega is in fact a member of GAF or at least reads it.

maus

CrookedRain said:
By the way, the -heapsize command line option doesn't do anything in the newer source engine games such as TF2. There is now a console command called "mem_max_heapsize" where you specify the max heapsize in megabytes. You can try adding this to your autocfg. The default value is 256MB I believe but most people recommend you set it to half of your system memory.
Thanks for this post.

Reinstalling didn't do shit but i hunted down a custom cfg file with a 512 heapsize and replaced my old one. Not sure if that's what did it but i'm back up and running! 30 minutes of playtime on hydro with no memory errors, i think it's back to normal. Now back to the fight.

Jacobi

Banned
Doytch said:
I just can't get the hang of demo. I feel so damn crippled when I'm one on one with someone, and I'd probably have to change my play style to make it work.
in many situations the demo is crippled, try not to get into one of these

Doytch

Jacobi said:
in many situations the demo is crippled, try not to get into one of these

See that's the problem, I really like to get in the action. That's why my most played classes are Soldier(by far), Scout and Pyro.

Okay so 2Fort. I hate the map, but I hate it even more because it always fraks up for me. At random moments the screen goes grey or fuzzy. I can still hear all the sound effects, and I can still move, I just have no idea where I'm going. So, any expanations for why this keeps on happening to me? Its only ever on 2fort, ive never had this problem from hours of playing other maps. Just 2Fort.

Teknopathetic said:
Several GAF members were involved in our first tournament where we won our first match 4-0!

Me, Cheeto(WhatRuOn), Zanboo, and Quellex. Other members were Omega and DeathToll_David, but I don't believe they're GAFfers.

\m/
Congrats, I really wish these things were frapped, I want to see that match.

"Congrats, I really wish these things were frapped, I want to see that match."

Tournament requires us to all record demos, so I can send you mine if you want.

Javaman

CrookedRain said:
Do you have a -dxlevel set in your launch options? I believe leaving it in there will reset your settings every time. You run the game with it once and it will continue to run at that dxlevel even after you remove it. After you remove it, it should start remembering your settings.

Awesome, I'll give that a shot. I've had the -dxlevel set to 8 for a couple weeks.

Here's a spy in the tunnels of dustbowl who is taking an unusually comfortable "dirt nap".

firex

all right, pyro needs some buffs of some sort.

everybody else does as good or better short range damage and their shotgun is useless because it's only really effective at flamethrower range, so it's just a super shitty chasedown gun. as it stands no class with any kind of range should be afraid of a pyro unless they actually manage to get the drop on them, but that's about impossible to do on most maps anymore because all the ambush lanes are way too easy to camp, or the ambush lanes require taking a way roundabout path to access so you would have to backtrack forever just to open them up.

I really think if you're under the flamethrower for 3-5 seconds you should flat out be dead even if you're a heavy being healed by a medic. the burn damage needs to either be way buffed so it does like 5 damage/second, or they need to remove health powerups killing flames. as it stands I can only really go toe to toe with classes who completely suck at close range like demos and snipers, spies (only because they have low health and I burn away their disguise/cloaking) and retarded scouts. anyone else is smart enough to back up from the flamethrower range and shoot away.

I mean either valve essentially ruins the purpose of the class by giving them a secondary gun that lets them handle ranged guys, or they make their flamethrower as strong as a heavy's minigun, or they make flames last until you die and get rid of health powerups killing flames. one or two of those should happen instead of valve giving the pyro any kind of medium/long range secondary gun. valve hypes them up as the short range ambush class but the truth is you could do better ambushing someone playing a scout and using the bat, or a heavy with the minigun, or the classic spy + disguise + backstab. the pyro is still kind of fun to play simply because it's awesome to set people on fire and it's one class where you really get in the thick of things and can succeed, but the ambush opportunities are small.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
firex said:

everybody else does as good or better short range damage and their shotgun is useless because it's only really effective at flamethrower range, so it's just a super shitty chasedown gun. as it stands no class with any kind of range should be afraid of a pyro unless they actually manage to get the drop on them, but that's about impossible to do on most maps anymore because all the ambush lanes are way too easy to camp, or the ambush lanes require taking a way roundabout path to access so you would have to backtrack forever just to open them up.

I really think if you're under the flamethrower for 3-5 seconds you should flat out be dead even if you're a heavy being healed by a medic. the burn damage needs to either be way buffed so it does like 5 damage/second, or they need to remove health powerups killing flames. as it stands I can only really go toe to toe with classes who completely suck at close range like demos and snipers, spies (only because they have low health and I burn away their disguise/cloaking) and retarded scouts. anyone else is smart enough to back up from the flamethrower range and shoot away.

I mean either valve essentially ruins the purpose of the class by giving them a secondary gun that lets them handle ranged guys, or they make their flamethrower as strong as a heavy's minigun, or they make flames last until you die and get rid of health powerups killing flames. one or two of those should happen instead of valve giving the pyro any kind of medium/long range secondary gun. valve hypes them up as the short range ambush class but the truth is you could do better ambushing someone playing a scout and using the bat, or a heavy with the minigun, or the classic spy + disguise + backstab. the pyro is still kind of fun to play simply because it's awesome to set people on fire and it's one class where you really get in the thick of things and can succeed, but the ambush opportunities are small.

989idz.gif

PYROS UNITE!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I turn a corner and a pyro is in my face, i am dead within 1 second. NERF!

Tek: What is that small square that sometimes appears durring gameplay in those demo's ?.
And thanks for uploading them, pretty cool. Would be nice if my pc actually ran them better than 5 fps, but i got the idea :lol

"Tek: What is that small square that sometimes appears durring gameplay in those demo's ?.
And thanks for uploading them, pretty cool. Would be nice if my pc actually ran them better than 5 fps, but i got the idea"

Dunno! happened to all of us while playing. I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Davidion

firex said:

I'll admit that i think Pyros can use a *little* extra speed or have its flame effects be a little more distracting. But honestly, it feels like that the class is very much designed to be a class that you would run away from. It really shouldn't be a long-range fighter by any stretch of the imagination.

While I'm somewhat in agreement with you about wanting to see the class buffed a bit, in the end that extra level of difficulty forces you to use your character a little more strategically, and that's been a recurring theme in the implementation of TF2 over TFC; you've really had to learn to deal with the innate shortcomings of a class with EVERY class. In the case of the pyro, I think the class is still balanced enough for it to not be so utterly useless like its previous incarnations yet still requires you to think before you jump in.

Personally, my record with the pyro fluctuates. However, I absolutely disagree that other classes do as good of a job ambushing someone. That fire does its share of creating chaos for the enemy, and that's important. To go back to what i was saying in the beginning, I think a little extra speed boost and/or more distracting flame effects would do the class a world of good and brings its effects to full bear while letting it not become overpowered.

edit: now that I think about it, it's actually the class with which I've done the most damage

The Pyro is supposed to be the second fastest class in the game, but it's tied in speed with like 4/9 classes and the speed difference between the rest, besides heavy is pretty miniscule. Soldiers are also a significantly better close-range class than Pyros. Face full of rocket > flames.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Teknopathetic said:
The Pyro is supposed to be the second fastest class in the game, but it's tied in speed with like 4/9 classes and the speed difference between the rest, besides heavy is pretty miniscule. Soldiers are also a significantly better close-range class than Pyros. Face full of rocket > flames.
True, I notice Demomen, Spies, and Engineers keeping up with me all the time when I run. It's only Heavies, Soldiers, and Medics that I've ever been able to actually outpace.

And the rocket thing is right as well. It bugs me to no end whenever I ambush a Soldier, take down his health by half or more, and they hit me with a rocket and instantly kill me. Usually they kill themselves too, but only because they were already hurt from my burning them.

And they get a reduced suicide penalty because they also got a kill in the process, but I just get killed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Teknopathetic said:

That's probably true. But everytime a pyro is chasing me (soldier) i can never shoot the bastard with my rocket and i end up dying. Keeps moving side to side to dodge my rockets, pisses me off. So it usually ends with me shooting the ground killing him and killing myself in the process. I just suck at close range.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
evlcookie said:
That's probably true. But everytime a pyro is chasing me (soldier) i can never shoot the bastard with my rocket and i end up dying. Keeps moving side to side to dodge my rockets, pisses me off. So it usually ends with me shooting the ground killing him and killing myself in the process. I just suck at close range.
evlcookie said:
Keeps moving side to side to dodge my rockets, pisses me off. So it usually ends with me shooting the ground killing him and killing myself in the process. I just suck at close range.
evlcookie said:
So it usually ends with me shooting the ground killing him and killing myself in the process. I just suck at close range.
evlcookie said:
So it usually ends with me shooting the ground killing him and killing myself in the process.
evlcookie said:
So it usually ends with me shooting the ground killing him and killing myself in the process.

YOU SON OF A BITCH

Crushed

Fry Daddy
evlcookie said:
Hey now, most of the time it isn't on purpose :lol . And i'm pretty sure it happened a few times against you tonight as well.
BURN

BURN BURN BURN

I DESPISE YOU AND YOUR ANACHRONISTICALLY-DRESSED HELMED BRETHREN

firex

yeah, it's mostly either the slow speed or low health that bothers me about pyro. a damage buff to the flamethrower would make a little more sense, just so they could play to the focus of the class. I'm not saying it should be as fast as a scout, but they should be able to run circles around nearly everyone else. I only mention the shotgun as a crappy secondary gun because it really is mostly useless for the pyro. it's a great gun for every other class that has one (which is like 3 others) but pyro would be better off with the scout's pistol or something. It's just too easy in my experience for most classes to outrange the pyro.

the other thing that sucks with a pyro is flamethrower crits. they don't really do much damage unless you get someone right at the barrel of the flamethrower, but that's like an instakill anyway (and only happens if you really get the drop on someone). I kind of feel like explosives are OP with a crit (though grenades are easy enough to dodge in my experience) and the flamethrower is crappy with a crit. maybe they could just make it so the flamethrower damage isn't so weak at the edge of the flame, and normalize it a bit. I kind of wish they'd do the same with rockets - make their point blank damage weaker but their long range damage stronger, and make them a little faster, and nerf their critical damage (since it literally instagibs anyone but a heavy if it's a direct/close hit).

I'd probably be way deadlier with a less than shitty system too, so I could get maxed fps and take advantage of my insanely good and cheap internet. but I think if that happened I'd just be playing scout or sniper... and I obviously wouldn't be bitching if I hadn't just gotten off a horrible server with lots of scout whoring on granary and a god-awful team vs. a stacked team that I still nearly took on 3vs1 and won several times.

A long range damage increase for rockets would suck for snipers and they already die from any crit rocket that lands anywhere near them.

"A long range damage increase for rockets would suck for snipers and they already die from any crit rocket that lands anywhere near them."

The slow travel speed on rockets means you'd have to be really unlucky or fucking blind to get hit with one.

Teknopathetic said:
"A long range damage increase for rockets would suck for snipers and they already die from any crit rocket that lands anywhere near them."

The slow travel speed on rockets means you'd have to be really unlucky or fucking blind to get hit with one.
Well, I get pretty unlucky with crit rockets just coming around a corner or something. :lol
I guess it just depends on how much of a damage increase it gets. Really though, pyros should just be buffed without changing/nerfing another class.

firex

I only even brought up rockets because I swear those are the #1 thing that kills me and it feels like soldier is now the ultimate noob class. I see a lot of rocket spamming and it kinda works, especially when a crit lands.

but yeah, I just think pyro needs a buff to their short range damage so they aren't more or less suicide guys who can torch a few people and then get killed in the ensuing panic. their shotgun is useless for attacking (except vs other pyros) but if they made the flamethrower a truly fearsome weapon, the shotgun would be more useful as a chasedown gun.

edit: I don't mind the weaknesses pyro has either. it's fine being eaten alive by level 2+ sentries or someone I can't get the drop on, but it's not fine ambushing people and dying because even though I stacked the flamethrower on them for awhile, they got some tiny health powerup and negated the majority of my damage, and backed up a little bit and made me useless because I can't close in on them.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
firex said:
I only even brought up rockets because I swear those are the #1 thing that kills me and it feels like soldier is now the ultimate noob class. I see a lot of rocket spamming and it kinda works, especially when a crit lands.

That's sort of what you have to do as a soldier. It's not really all that possible to put someone in your cross hair and shoot a rocket knowing its going to hit. Because it doesnt. So you need to shoot at them then sorta predict where they are going to go to dodge it and shoot again. And splash damage helps which is another reason to spam if they are behind a window / opening with walls next to them. Of course if they are in your face & crosshair then a rocket will work, but it may also take you out at the same time. Always fun.

yeb

Argh, I hate computers. I launched TF2 about an hour ago, and as the resolution switched down to 800x600, my monitor started flickering. Even when it's not connected to the computer, the little message about it receiving no signal flickers. The flickering has happened before, but this time it's not going away. This is the second monitor that's broken on me in the past year and a half, and they never last more than about 2 years for me. At least it should be under warranty.

I'm now using a really crappy 15" LCD :(

Crushed

Fry Daddy
firex said:
Agree with most of that stuff. The secondary weapon needs to be something like the pistol (maybe a special shotgun with less spread for a bit more long range accuracy, without being a real long range weapon?).

And this isn't huge, but it would help if they could slightly increase the length of the flame by a by a tad bit, like a half-foot or two. There's been a few times where, for some reason or other, an opponent is JUST out of reach (like they're on a catwalk or balcony or something), and even jumping up at them, the opponent is just barely too far away. Since Pyros ARE an "ambush class," and since catwalks and balconies are points where crowds, engineers, snipers, campers, etc., can tend to gather, it would be great if you could at least ignite a few of them from below to disorganize them.

maus

They should make the flame slowly build up to a much wider area well as have it linger a while longer. Also have the disorientation when within the flames be much greater so that, if you somehow get caught in them, it'll harder to pinpoint the pyro right away. Leave the damage alone and i think it would make the pyro much more effective and enjoyable class, with it being more strategic and "flame" oriented, rather than the current tactic of just getting as close as possible for maximum damage.

Saterium

Yeah, I've been trying to get better with Pyro over the last week but I normally just end up getting frustrated since it takes so damn long to burn someone down. By the time the person I was going after is dead, someone is generally right behind me shooting me in the ass, and the shotgun won't do much good at range.

Perhaps adding a slightly more accurate range weapon would be a good solution. Buffing the flame thrower is something you have to be fairly careful about because it was way too strong during the beta IMO.

maus

Man that's a pretty solid idea i posted i think. Perhaps I should send it to them. Especially the disorientation when within flames because after playing for a while I don't really find myself panicking when lit up. Myabe they could add the potential to torch a teammate when bumping into them as well, making me have to be much more cautious while engulfed.

I've only logged like 20 minutes with the pyro cause it's really just kind of frustrating at the moment. If they maybe cut down their max health and added all these buffs, they would be an awesome class.

Saterium

CrookedRain said:
What? It was way too weak during beta so they buffed it.

Whatever, it was too strong at some point and was toned down.
Or I might be wrong all together, thanks for shattering my self confidence.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I kind of wish they'd do the same with rockets - make their point blank damage weaker but their long range damage stronger, and make them a little faster, and nerf their critical damage (since it literally instagibs anyone but a heavy if it's a direct/close hit).
Splash damage from a rocket is not an instant kill for some. I haven't actually tested which ones exactly, but I've been flung across the map as a soldier from crit rockets and have still been able to return fire. Increasing long-range damage is a terrible idea unless you love rocket spam.

At any rate, soldiers are weak close range unless they're suicidal, have good twitch reflexes, or their target is in a confined window. A pyro who's obviously trying to close distance to you qualifies as the latter. It's so predictable it might as well be in a tight corridor. The slow rate of fire that becomes even slower after only four shots leaves a huge window for other people to damage the soldier, and I've truly been caught off guard at times by a pyro and gotten severely damaged if not killed while waiting for my next shot to be ready from an empty clip. Even worse is when I attempt to strafe away and the pyro strafes with me while I keep missing the target.

I only even brought up rockets because I swear those are the #1 thing that kills me and it feels like soldier is now the ultimate noob class.
Like I said, a pyro attempting a frontal assault is one of the EASIEST targets a soldier could have.

Saterium said:
Whatever, it was too strong at some point and was toned down.
Or I might be wrong all together, thanks for shattering my self confidence.
I filed a bug on the Pyro's flamethrower being less effective than the axe. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom