• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Teknopathetic said:
The Pyro is supposed to be the second fastest class in the game, but it's tied in speed with like 4/9 classes and the speed difference between the rest, besides heavy is pretty miniscule. Soldiers are also a significantly better close-range class than Pyros. Face full of rocket > flames.

Hitokage said:
Like I said, a pyro attempting a frontal assault is one of the EASIEST targets a soldier could have. Besides, most soldiers suck and only know how to spam. ;)

Yep. I played Pyro early on. But I've switched to soldier as my main class quite a while ago. Pyro is a gimped class. No long range weapon and his short range weapon sucks against soldiers.

As a soldier, I love when Pyros charge me. There's no an easier kill in the entire game (except maybe incompetent spies... and then it's only a tie.) The only way to effectively play a Pryo is to flank/drop right on top of somebody and flame them from behind at point blank range. And if you're skilled enough to do that, you'd probably be even more valuable as another class.

On the RARE occasion I'm killed by a Pryo, I nod in admiration for somebody who can play the class and fry me without giving their position away. But that's garbage. To have to be 6 inches from a guy to kill them quickly is wrong. It takes all fun out of the class.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The way I see it is that the flamethrower is the ultimate melee weapon, and all situations where you'd go and not go melee apply to the pyro(as per design). Again, soldiers definitely have the edge when they are running backwards with a pyro in vain persuit. Otherwise, you'll go down fast if you aren't good.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
The way I see it is that the flamethrower is the ultimate melee weapon, and all situations where you'd go and not go melee apply to the pyro(as per design). Again, soldiers definitely have the edge when they are running backwards with a pyro in vain persuit. Otherwise, you'll go down fast if you aren't good.

I agree it should be the ultimate melee weapon. I just don't think it's buffed enough to justify having no medium/long range arsenal (And I'm not talking about the classic soldier backpedaling against a rushing pyro. Those people suck as pyros. If you're not smart enough to switch to shotgun in those situations, you don't have the chops to play pyro and need a new class pronto. And 99/100 times they don't.) I'm talking about having no arsenal for when the map doesn't allow for flank/drop approaches.

A Pyro should be buffed enough that if a soldier or heavy has piss poor awareness and lets a Pryo get the drop on him, he should go down almost instantly.

Run right in front of a heavy, turret, sniper? You're going down quickly. A pyro takes too long. He should be the ultimate melee class. If he sneaks behind a heavy and flames him at point blank range, the heavy shouldn't have enough time to turn around and get some shots off. He should be dead.

I would even vote for cutting the range of the flames in half, but doubling the damage. You should be punished severely for letting a pyro get close to you. IMO the rewards of playing the pryo efficiently don't justify all the sacrifices.

bard

A week or two ago I started playing the pyro class much more often, which I thought was odd because I usually go for support roles (esp. medic). The thing is, pyros really are support roles. They can't hold their own in a firefight, that's for damn sure, but they're tops at lighting up spies and helping defent areas. The best thing about being a pyro is that when someone's on fire, they run. And if you see a pyro you usually try and keep your distance. It's a good stall tactic to buy some time for an engineer to build a sentry or regain CP control.

That being said, I do think they need some tweaking. I shouldn't have to chase down a scout and use three quarters of my ammo to kill him. More often than not, the scout bats me to death in one-on-one, which just isn't right. Health packs shouldn't extinguish fire. Only water, medics and dispensers should. And the fewer max HP a class has, the MORE damage he should take from fire. A scout/spy shouldn't see a pyro and not be afraid to charge. But if a pyro sees a heavy/soldier, he shouldn't be able to charge them and win outright.

1-D_FTW said:
You should be punished severely for letting a pyro get close to you.

Exactly! They're the only class you should run from. A pyro's long range gun is shite, and that's the way it should be. You see a pyro, you run.

Twig

Banned
Man I was playing on Central or East (I forget) last night, doing really awesome as demoman. Those pointless quake sounds that I'm too lazy to turn off kept telling me I was dominating, that was kind of cool.

Then all of a sudden I couldn't do anything. Ugh. What a way to kill my high you bastards.
A scout/spy shouldn't see a pyro and not be afraid to charge.
I'm not sure if you're implying that this ISN'T the case or just saying it should stay like this, but... when I play scout, I always run from pyros. Hell I run as any class. Except pyro, but I hate pyro so I never play as pyro.

And I have never been able to bat a pyro to death. Maybe I suck? Or maybe you suck. d: Seriously, though, I die within two seconds if I stay close to a pyro. O:

Crushed

Fry Daddy
TheOneGuy said:
I'm not sure if you're implying that this ISN'T the case or just saying it should stay like this, but... when I play scout, I always run from pyros. Hell I run as any class. Except pyro, but I hate pyro so I never play as pyro.

And I have never been able to bat a pyro to death. Maybe I suck? Or maybe you suck. d: Seriously, though, I die within two seconds if I stay close to a pyro. O:
You SHOULD run.

Really, the only classes that DON'T run from Pyro, in my experience, are Pyro and Heavy. Everyone else starts running backwards like hell.

explodet

I'm having a ton of fun as a Demoman.

My favorite kill would have to be the time two scouts decided to just sit there trying to capture a point. I put down three stickybombs and gibbed them both.

I'm not so great with the grenade, though. It's hard for me to aim and I'm constantly reloading. One time I just got frustrated and just beaned a soldier with the whiskey bottle.

Icy

Banned
From looking at the logs from the current page and previous, dmg/range was not modified at all on the Pyro. Just people's imaginations going wild.

1-D_FTW

bard said:
Exactly! They're the only class you should run from. A pyro's long range gun is shite, and that's the way it should be. You see a pyro, you run.

The thing that turned me off was this: If you don't see a Pyro, it should be guaranteed death. Which in it's weak form right now, it isn't.

Pyro is a a support class, true. But it's also the melee class. So if a Spy can insta-back stab somebody by getting behind the enemy, (using cloak, no less) so should a pyro. If Pyro gets behind somebody without the benefit of cloaking, and pyro being the melee class, it should equal instant death.

Twig

Banned
Crushed said:
You SHOULD run.
Oh, I agree! The idea that a scout wouldn't run just baffles me. It's crazy!
explodet said:
I'm not so great with the grenade, though. It's hard for me to aim and I'm constantly reloading.
There's nothing better than leading a shot into a scout that's attacking you and watching all the little bits fly in all directions.

Booooom!

Crushed

Fry Daddy
TheOneGuy said:
There's nothing better than leading a shot into a scout that's attacking you and watching all the little bits fly in all directions.

Booooom!
No, the only thing better is seeing a bunch of careless demomen and soldiers coming, then sneaking around from behind, and lighting them all up and watching their organized attack go down in flames. :D

...Which is why I would like it if those surprise point-blank napalm-powered rear attacks actually killed people (without getting me gibbed) more than 1/3 of the time. :/

I had a real nice run last night, 27 kills in one go without dying as a Heavy. I used to have my stats to tell me I got 35kills with one sentry once as an engineer, but thanks to that elusive, unexplained bug in Steam, my stats are still AWOL.

I saw a post on the previous page here about a tournament. Do you guys play these often, and if so, can any decent player who frequents the NeoGAF server join in on the mayhem?

Twig

Banned
No, the only thing better is seeing a bunch of careless demomen and soldiers coming, then sneaking around from behind, and lighting them all up and watching their organized attack go down in flames. :D

...Which is why I would like it if those surprise point-blank napalm-powered rear attacks actually killed people (without getting me gibbed) more than 1/3 of the time. :/
Yeah but I hate playing as a pyro!

So demoman > pyro!

Oh ho ho ho. Oh ho!

I also finally got my sentry gun achievement last night. 21 kills total in one go, 11 kills on one sentry. That was pretty awesome. EDIT: Fuck you and your 35 kills.

Speaking of engineers, I'm sick of them building the sentry in the wrong place on Dustbowl. You know the first point blue has to capture in the first Dustbowl area? Engies like to build it up on those stairs? Most people build it too far back so it's still possible for someone to hide in the back corner of the CP and take the point. \:

Build it a little further down the stairs and all problems are solved!

And I was playing with some stupid pyro (not on a GAF server) who wouldn't let me build my sentry in time for the match to start. He just stood there. I asked him to move. He finally said "if you hit it with your wrench it'll build faster" then the match started and he FINALLY moved and my sentry was only just done building before the freaking HEAVY got there.

Oops venting at stupid people.

Icy

Banned
Richardfun said:
I had a real nice run last night, 27 kills in one go without dying as a Heavy. I used to have my stats to tell me I got 35kills with one sentry once as an engineer, but thanks to that elusive, unexplained bug in Steam, my stats are still AWOL.

I saw a post on the previous page here about a tournament. Do you guys play these often, and if so, can any decent player who frequents the NeoGAF server join in on the mayhem?

The deadline for joining has past.

Icy

Banned
Richardfun said:
For the next tournament, or forever and ever?

for the season. 6 man teams. Zanboo posted several pages back asking for people adn those that responded got in.

Ah ok, too bad. Forgot to check this topic for a few days. Ah well, I'll just kick your ass up and down your own server during regular games then :D

firex

Hitokage said:
firex: One more thing...

Don't ever be medic again. :p
I got screwed when we were playing on well last night. some sniper no-scoped me with a lucky crit and it was a one shot kill. wasn't even a headshot. no time to uber or anything. normally I'm a lot better with medic but I think last night was just frustrating all around.

and I know you have to lead your target with rockets, but like when it was soldier-only SD on the GAF servers, it pretty much became rocket spam in the choke points. I can get blindsided by rockets, so I'm not just talking about taking one head on. but there are plenty of times I've set a soldier on fire enough that he should burn to death and they just turn around, spam rockets and they get a suicide and I get a death, or they get a crit (and I think crits in general are bullshit, but especially with rockets and grenades) and I die and they go pick up a weaksauce health powerup and completely negate any chance I had of killing them off. pyro is my most played class by far, then after that it's engineer, and demo/medic in a dead heat for 3rd, and the irony is I've had the most points in a life as sniper/medic/engineer but my biggest scores come from playing pyro.

I guess part of it is also that pyro just isn't good on some maps. Like it's fun to play pyro on granary to break up the scout rush early on, but otherwise the map has too many health powerups. and in well's case it's too big and the underwater sneaking lanes aren't good enough. also, for some reason on a server I played, the opposing team could use our sewer entrance inside the base but I've never been able to use theirs.

and basically like people are saying, I think pyro should be a godlike killing machine if they get into melee range and get the drop on people, but usually they can't finish off that team. I probably just need more coordination/teamwork because on some servers I can get the drop and kill 5 people, and on others I can get the drop and the medics just lol and heal back all the damage I did. I only mention their secondary gun because the shotgun stinks for them and I would trade it for a crappy pistol or a syringe gun that does half damage in a heartbeat, but then that defeats the purpose of the class so it'd be dumb. also, just a general tf2 control thing, I wish it was easier to know what you can use to sneak/walk instead of running. It's kind of pointless to do that most of the time, except that if I knew how to move quietly in the game I'd actually be a lot better at getting the drop on people.

the thing with soldier is there are tons of people who play with skill, but just as many who noob it up and succeed because they can spam rockets and if they're lucky they get crits which demolish nearly anyone if it's a direct hit, and even some (the 125 and under health classes) with the splash. I guess it just feels annoying to me because I hate crits (aside from headshots), because they don't really balance the game any, but if they took away crits then soldiers would be mediocre at best. so that's why I feel like they could make rockets more useful aside from crits/spray and pray firing, and less useful point blank. Plus it feels weird that a grenade travels faster than a rocket... I know tf2 doesn't go for realism, but it's one of those things that feels weird to me.

Richardfun said:

Yeah that was a fun round. Didn't know you posted here Richard. I need to add you as a friend on steam (my nick is puyo btw)

firex said:
and basically like people are saying, I think pyro should be a godlike killing machine if they get into melee range and get the drop on people, but usually they can't finish off that team. I probably just need more coordination/teamwork because on some servers I can get the drop and kill 5 people, and on others I can get the drop and the medics just lol and heal back all the damage I did. I only mention their secondary gun because the shotgun stinks for them and I would trade it for a crappy pistol or a syringe gun that does half damage in a heartbeat, but then that defeats the purpose of the class
I actually think the shotgun is a pretty good secondary gun, I use it more after I've lit someone up and they've taken the liberty to run away, I sometimes manage to kill them with a couple of shots after the initial scuffle. They are also proficient against other Pyros (ask Crushed) ;)
However, the class does deserve a little tweaking. I always manage to come up behind a group, shock them, fire them all up but kill none of them. Which isn't right. I mean there are plenty of times when I do manage to go on a spree, but they just feel too few and and far between. So I fully support some minor tweaking of this otherwise awesome class.

firex

I mainly use the shotgun against other pyros if I have the chance, or use the shotgun to kill someone running away, but on its own it really does stink. it's an ok chasedown gun but for real offense the flamethrower is way better (as it should be). but it's not really the shotgun that's a problem for me anyway. It's the whole "drop down and ambush someone and they kill you anyway and go pick up a health pack and you accomplished nothing" aspect of it.

Icy

Banned
Central Server will be shutdown at the end of the term this month.
I'll be adding a reserved slot system with a website to add yourself to it.

I'll be adding a Call of Duty 4 server and either a UT3/Crysis server by end of the month.

Cheeto

Icy said:
Central Server will be shutdown at the end of the term this month.
I'll be adding a reserved slot system with a website to add yourself to it.

I'll be adding a Call of Duty 4 server and either a UT3/Crysis server by end of the month.
I'll pick up that slack Icy...I've got a 24 man server I can make available to GAF.

COD4 though?

Icy

Banned
CoD4 will be online tommorrow afternoon.

Also I was given a 50 slot Ventrilo for free :D

There's no problem with me having 2 servers but there's never a server with more than 50% of NeoGAFers. All public people. So with the reserved slots Ill be able to prioritize who gets on.

Icy

Banned
I took off all sudden death restrictions.

And once the reserved slots are in place, I'll up some of the class limits since it won't be fucktards playing anymore.

And I'll remove the customs from the rotation, but they will be votable.

Icy

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Damn, I was hoping the central server would be the one that was kept since it would be more fair for both west and east coast GAFers.

East got 45% more play than Central. Which is why I shutting it down at the end of the term during this month.

Also have to take into consideration the overseas GAffers get better pings on East than central.

Cheeto

TF2 Server - Chicago - Public - Might lock down for scrimmages though.

Ventrilo Server - titanium.typefrag.com:27702 - Password: orange

Jacobi

Banned
Icy said:
East got 45% more play than Central. Which is why I shutting it down at the end of the term during this month.

Also have to take into consideration the overseas GAffers get better pings on East than central.
Yeah and the time zone is much better for us Yropes

Ah, I didn't realize that Euro GAFers got better ping to the east servers. I just remembered a lot of them pinged well to the west servers.

Icy said:
I took off all sudden death restrictions.

And once the reserved slots are in place, I'll up some of the class limits since it won't be fucktards playing anymore.

And I'll remove the customs from the rotation, but they will be votable.
Great. Great. Great.

This will solve my only *minor* complaints :) Can't wait for reserve system. One server should be enough for most GAFers and with slots reserved it should be 24 GAFers on at a time.

ice cream

Banned
ANyone know when they're gonna turn off Critical hits? It's the most unbalancing piece of shit I've ever seen. Seriously who the fuck does this shit when trying to make a balanced game?

Icy

Banned
ice cream said:
ANyone know when they're gonna turn off Critical hits? It's the most unbalancing piece of shit I've ever seen. Seriously who the fuck does this shit when trying to make a balanced game?

Its not happening. And its pretty fairly done well. So its not an issue.

Jacobi

Banned
ice cream said:
Crit rockets suck :(

Aegus

So I had my first proper 32 man Dustbowl today on a 24/7 server. In about 20 games or so I never once got to see the 3rd Stage and just now I left a game where we couldn't actually get out the spawn point of stage 2 due to 6 demomen spamming grenades in there.

Valve's decision to officially limit the servers to 24? Fully justified.

1-D_FTW

Richardfun said:

omgimaninja said:
Yeah that was a fun round. Didn't know you posted here Richard. I need to add you as a friend on steam (my nick is puyo btw)

I came in third behind you two (StalkerU). And once Richard cooled down a little, I started pulling the score a little closer. I think I only finished like 10 points behind Richard. Which was cool, since Puyo was only healing me when I really needed the health and then going back to Richard full-time.

No resentment, though. You guys both were using mics and that's the way to play. I need to come up with a mic solution that doesn't involve me having to ditch my nice headphones.

EDIT: For the haters of Crit rockets... suck it. The only way Valve should remove Crit rockets is if they double the damage of the standard rocket. Rockets are slow moving and not that powerful. Avoid them. A good soldier leads his targets. Have battlefield awareness and move a little out of the way:) And if you see a glowing rocket, really make sure you avoid it.

SECOND EDIT: Or if you really suck at avoiding rockets, choose the heavy. He can take a crit rocket and still keep rolling.

If you want a nice headset, get the Logitech USB 250. I got it, only costs about $30 I think, and it's great. I've played for hours on end without any noticable discomfort on my head or ears :D

Richardfun said:
If you want a nice headset, get the Logitech USB 250. I got it, only costs about $30 I think, and it's great. I've played for hours on end without any noticable discomfort on my head or ears :D
Word. I bought the same headset 2 years ago for Skype and it works perfectly for TF2 :)

calder

I'm going to have to get another headset, which sucks. I didn't notice the mic on my fairly nice USB set was broken until trying to get it going for TF2, after I quit WoW in March I hadn't used it for anything. What's annoying is that only the mic is busted, so it's tough to just pitch it when the headphones are still quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom