• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Teknopathetic said:
Gotta keep those win buttons, eh?

Directed at me or the people complaining about crit rockets needing to go?

I know I throw some goofy ideas around in here, but my assement of the soldier not being overpowered isn't one of them.

The two classes I've played the most (soldier and pyro) are the two classes I most enjoy dueling with (aside from lousy spies.) I definitely win the vast majority of those battles cause I know their strengths and weaknesses. Pyros and soldiers strike no fear into my heart. Although I'm especially careful to avoid this pyro named Teknopathic.

There are some other classes, however, that consistently get me. If I weren't so lazy, I'd learn to play them for that very reason. So I could know their game plan and properly defend against it.

It was mostly said to draw Hito out. The problem with Crit rockets (and Scattergun crits)is that they're so god damned plentiful. Especially compared to HWG or Pyro crits and pyro crits aren't even that threatening.

saelz8

Steam Update News said:
We knew that Team Fortress 2 characters would be a popular choice at the Valve Halloween party (if we had remembered to schedule one, that is). We hadn't imagined that our friends, fans, and industry colleagues would have the same idea in mind. We're flattered and humbled at the intricate detail in every costume we've seen--kudos!

Volition
264kfvs.jpg

Nihilistic
n39ovq.jpg

NCSoft
hwbf4k.jpg

EA LA
1zq329s.jpg

Blizzard
2uz6kbr.jpg

Bioware
a0ea36.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rant: It feels impossible to kill people on the gaf servers. It's like they can see and shoot me without any issues, as if lag doesn't exist. But its so hard to kill people with the lag, put a few rocket's at their feet and it misses, nothing happends. FUCK i hate lag! It's evil.

I think i need a break from the game. :lol

lexi

Banned
evlcookie said:
Rant: It feels impossible to kill people on the gaf servers. It's like they can see and shoot me without any issues, as if lag doesn't exist. But its so hard to kill people with the lag, put a few rocket's at their feet and it misses, nothing happends. FUCK i hate lag! It's evil.

I think i need a break from the game. :lol

Bite the bullet and play on Australian servers. There's no way you will kill people at a 300ms disadvantage.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
lockii said:
Bite the bullet and play on Australian servers. There's no way you will kill people at a 300ms disadvantage.

yea i do. And i am half decent (unless its 2fort, i fail at that map). But it is fun to play with other gaf members. It's usually gaf in the morning, AU server's at night.

firex

so I need spy tips. I'm trying to learn to play it since it's my least played class and I think it could break stuff up nicely, but I tend to suck at it. in general when I play I try to take a sneaking lane with my disguise and then appear behind the other team so it looks like I just came in from respawn. then I go run around sapping stuff and if I can, backstab a medic/heavy/engineer after their stuff is sapped. but I still stink at it... so what are good tips?

I do know not to disguise as a scout or a medic since those are dead giveaways.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I need to get better at sentry placement. I already have a good idea what the conditions should be, but I haven't really gone through the maps to think of them.

It's great when you outlast somebody's übercharge and slaughter them when it runs out. :D

Hitokage said:
It's great when you outlast somebody's übercharge and slaughter them when it runs out. :D
This is my favourite thing to do as a pyro. I usually wait behind them until the uber is done ubering, then light 'em up.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
I need to get better at sentry placement. I already have a good idea what the conditions should be, but I haven't really gone through the maps to think of them.

That explains it. I was wondering about one of your placements in the basement of 2fort. You had it behind the desk. And I was wondering if I was looking at genius in motion. It was protected from fire from the one doorway, but also couldn't shoot at the doorway. I thought maybe it was an exploit and the turret could shoot through the desk and still hit that doorway. Guessing now that it couldn't.

firex

the best sentry spots in my experience on 2fort are any of the corners in the intel room (especially next to the desk on the outside, so not truly in the corner) and anywhere on the platform that leads to the back way/main gate out of the spawn, but especially a corner there near the back door to the intel room. that back corner is tough to stop unless someone rocket jumps across to the battlements. anyone else will more than likely die if they try to get up there so it's actually really good at defending the intel since it's in range of the entire room. if you want to put it on offense, just put it in the middle of the enemy's sewers. yes, the middle... well, the middle of the raised area with the health and ammo. the reason for that is so it has a bigger attack range and a demo can't put a ton of stickies on it.

otherwise with sentries I think you're just best off putting them in good ambush spots or around a corner and make sure they're at least level 2. honestly the only reason to go level 3 is for the massive health boost, because it's the chainguns on the level 2/3 sentry that do most of the damage.

on well, a good spot is the catwalk around the second to last CP. it can maybe nail someone running in to it, and if not it bottles them up so that your teammates can close in and surround whoever's on the CP.

for granary the best spot in my experience is the catwalk on the second to last CP, just like well. it's easier to destroy there but will stop anyone who isn't a soldier/demo/heavy+medic if they try sneaking in through the upstairs or just take a frontal assault. a good spot for the middle is on top of the boxcars, preferably close to the other side's catwalk so it will nail anyone trying to get up there and snipe or whatever. that room is also great because you can jump down and get the ammo to give you 200 metal and get back up and upgrade it right away.

I think everyone knows about the dustbowl spot for CP1 of stage 1, where you want to put it on the stairs inside so it's able to cover pretty much the whole room. for hydro, if you're defending the last map as red I really recommend putting it in the center behind one of the computer/monitor stacks so it'll waste anyone who gets close unless they're ubered. That's where I got my sentry gunner achievement and dominated like 4 opponents at once with engineer...

a sentry is a lot like a pyro in that it's not so valuable if left in the open, and can be a total killer in a good ambush spot.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D_FTW said:
That explains it. I was wondering about one of your placements in the basement of 2fort. You had it behind the desk. And I was wondering if I was looking at genius in motion. It was protected from fire from the one doorway, but also couldn't shoot at the doorway. I thought maybe it was an exploit and the turret could shoot through the desk and still hit that doorway. Guessing now that it couldn't.
I had a dispenser behind the desk, and a sentry on top of it.

firex said:
so I need spy tips. I'm trying to learn to play it since it's my least played class and I think it could break stuff up nicely, but I tend to suck at it. in general when I play I try to take a sneaking lane with my disguise and then appear behind the other team so it looks like I just came in from respawn. then I go run around sapping stuff and if I can, backstab a medic/heavy/engineer after their stuff is sapped. but I still stink at it... so what are good tips?

I do know not to disguise as a scout or a medic since those are dead giveaways.

The best spy tip anyone can give you is to be unseen, always. Learn to play the class so that no one sees you, even while disguised. Its also extremely useful if you learn how to quickly switch from zapper to knife, once you do, you'll be able to take out lone engineer/sentry by zapping then quickly backstabbing him.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
firex said:
anywhere on the platform that leads to the back way/main gate out of the spawn, but especially a corner there near the back door to the intel room. that back corner is tough to stop unless someone rocket jumps across to the battlements. anyone else will more than likely die if they try to get up there so it's actually really good at defending the intel since it's in range of the entire room
The ramp room? It's extremely hard to defend solo as there AREN'T any safe spots, even on the upper platform(especially if the gun barrels stick over the ledge). It works great if people are around on defense, especially in countering spies.

BTW, a soldier could also just rocket up up to the rafters just past the entrance.
if you want to put it on offense, just put it in the middle of the enemy's sewers. yes, the middle... well, the middle of the raised area with the health and ammo. the reason for that is so it has a bigger attack range and a demo can't put a ton of stickies on it.
Vulnerable to long range bombardment. Doable if you're squatting though.
otherwise with sentries I think you're just best off putting them in good ambush spots or around a corner and make sure they're at least level 2. honestly the only reason to go level 3 is for the massive health boost, because it's the chainguns on the level 2/3 sentry that do most of the damage.
You can't use a level 2 sentry as a blast shield. :p
on well, a good spot is the catwalk around the second to last CP. it can maybe nail someone running in to it, and if not it bottles them up so that your teammates can close in and surround whoever's on the CP.
That's a decent spot. It's also through a highly limited line of sight so you can squat the sentry and just use the wall as your shield.
for granary the best spot in my experience is the catwalk on the second to last CP, just like well. it's easier to destroy there but will stop anyone who isn't a soldier/demo/heavy+medic if they try sneaking in through the upstairs or just take a frontal assault.
Eh, it's workable but not ideal. It's extremely vulnerable to flanking from the side.
a good spot for the middle is on top of the boxcars, preferably close to the other side's catwalk so it will nail anyone trying to get up there and snipe or whatever. that room is also great because you can jump down and get the ammo to give you 200 metal and get back up and upgrade it right away.
That area is tricky because the sentry's range doesn't cover its width. It's pretty nice until they catch on though.
I think everyone knows about the dustbowl spot for CP1 of stage 1, where you want to put it on the stairs inside so it's able to cover pretty much the whole room.
...which doesn't work because they charge in with an uber, and even if you put it in the train tracks you can get flanked easily.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
I had a dispenser behind the desk, and a sentry on top of it.

Must have been someone else. He definitely had it on the floor. And he may have quickly destroyed it. I just remember running through on a quick sweep and being, WTF.

Hey Icy, two questions. Can I reserve one, and secondly, if I can, how does it work, for what time is a slot reserved then?

Regardless of whether or not I can reserve one, I PM'd you my SteamID. Hope I can get a spot.

Cheers.

firex

dude, anyone charging in with an uber kills a sentry. there's no way to make a sentry immune to an uber, it's the counter for it. But the stairs on CP1 of dustbowl will pretty much stop anyone else until they get that uber going. you just have to accept that there's no way to make a sentry impervious unless the entire enemy team is scout/pyro. and what I meant about the sewers for 2fort is that you put it in the back corner, actually. that way a demo/soldier can't get line of sight without the sentry being able to fire on them too. it's not flawless, but it's only going to get taken out if they get some quick shots and a few of them are criticals.

there is no real sentry spot that makes it impossible to take out, unless someone changes the gravity, and even in that case there's probably sniper/rocket access to take out a sentry. Just put it in good spots where they have to change the way they move/attack on the map and then the other team is funneled into another route until they get an uber or a sniper in place to take it out.

the main thing with setting up sentries is you want them in a spot where they're only accessible close range, and it's really tough to do that on every map and still have one put in a good place to get kills.

Although, this does remind me... the final stage of dustbowl and its last CP. down on the side of the tunnel entrance, there's that little nook. building a sentry there is good. If you place it just far enough back anyone who comes out of the tunnel will die, so it'll cut off that sneaking lane usually taken by pyros/other adventurous people so, once again, they'll have to go get an uber built up.

Just don't expect a sentry to survive an uber, because even constantly healing it while ducking behind it won't outlast the typical ubered heavy/soldier/pyro. The worst though is when the enemy team coordinates and has a spy rush in and sap everything, then an offense guy rushes in and unloads on your stuff while you're trying to knock off the sapper and you more than likely die unless they're really bad.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No single person outside of a demoman with stickies or maybe a heavy one foot away(knockback is key) can damage a level 3 sentry faster than it can be repaired. A well squatted sentry WILL outlast any uber under these conditions unless somebody else gets involved like an additional soldier or a spy at the right time. I've witnessed this as a soldier and reproduced it as an engineer multiple times. This is why upgrading to level 3 is paramount, as otherwise it can't be done at all. Fortunately for many, not everyone knows how to do it, but at the same time, not everyone knows how to counter it.

Pyros aren't even a consideration because they need to get in close and knockback from a level 3 doesn't allow them unless the sentry is distracted.

It's not about being impossible to take out though, just demanding a high level of coordination on the other team, which usually doesn't happen. :D

Cheeto

Hitokage said:
No single person outside of a demoman with stickies or maybe a heavy one foot away(knockback is key) can damage a level 3 sentry faster than it can be repaired. A well squatted sentry WILL outlast any uber under these conditions unless somebody else gets involved like an additional soldier or a spy at the right time. I've witnessed this as a soldier and reproduced it as an engineer multiple times. This is why upgrading to level 3 is paramount, as otherwise it can't be done at all. Fortunately for many, not everyone knows how to do it, but at the same time, not everyone knows how to counter it.

It's not about being impossible to take out though, just demanding a high level of coordination on the other team, which usually doesn't happen. :D
Two soldiers firing a full payload of rockets usually out damage a squatter. At least from what I've seen.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yup, and I've also been beaten by an ubered heavy and a soldier. One sentry can't do it all no matter how well placed, and I do know of some near-perfect spots, but a single ubercharged heavy or soldier of average ability can be reliably defeated by a good squatter. Multiple squatters complicate matters. ;)

The onus is on teammates to take care of the non-ubered as well as demomen that may be lurking nearby.

firex

damn. I've tried the duck down stuff behind a level 3 sentry and it still gets blown up. but again, I think I have the worst luck with teamwork on the games I play.

yeb

Crits from any class will basically tilt their damage past your ability to repair. Also, it's possible for the uber medic to run in before their partner, so they don't have to deal with knockback from the sentry.

The main reason soldier's overtaken engineer for my 2nd most played class though, is because I realized there aren't really any perfect spots for a sentry. They're always going to be vulnerable to a smart individual, whether it's a soldier rocket jumping to easily flank you, or the rare demoman shooting over a building. Ubers are never really necessary unless your team is stopping them from shooting at your sentry at all.

Icy

Banned
This is a message I got..

Hi, could you please reserve a slot for my dear friend <Censored>? He's been on the servers all the time, tried to register on the forums here which didn't work for him (he's wating to be confirmed since two weeks). That'd be really cool:
STEAM_0:0:XXXXXXXX

thanks...

Basically not a confirmed / auth'd NeoGAFfer. No reserve slot.

How disappointing. I was going to make a similar request for my buddy M.J. Doja who I play with all the time. I'd feel like an ass making him try and get into a server with a reserve slot because I myself gave up last night after trying when I didn't have a slot. It's too bad there's no way to implement a reserve slot without breaking the auto-join functionality.

I've been playing PC games with him since elementary school, so we're always following each other to servers when we play TF2 which of course happens to be the NeoGAF server most of the time.

So far as i've tested, there's only one perfect sentry location in the game. It's in one of the variations of hydro when the satellite connects to the dam.

1-D_FTW

How many slots are reserved for GAF? And how does it work? Can non-gaffers fill those reserved slots (So we have full games), and they only get kicked when authorized gaffers join?

When 23 slots are filled, anyone who tries to join without having a reserve slot gets kicked immediately. I tried to join for a couple of minutes last night and just ended up giving up since you cannot use the auto-join function.

Icy

Banned
the whole server is NeoGAF priority.

basically 23/24 slots will get used. It keeps 1 slot open until all slots are filled with people on the reserved list.

Lets says there's 23 public ppl playing.
and Crooked Rain joins, that'll make 24.

It'll kick the first public person with the shortest connection time off and make it 23/24 again.

And will continue to do so until all slots are filled with reserved people.

1-D_FTW

That sounds great. It sucks for the guy with the friend who usually plays, but I love the idea of not having to wait for auto-join.

Yeah, it's great for people who have a reserve slot but really bad for people who don't. Imagine spending 5-10 minutes trying to manually join(auto-join doesn't work) only to get kicked within seconds or minutes because someone with a reserve slot joins.

Nice, that sounds excellent. Are the slots handed out on a first come, first serve basis, or are there other criteria besides being registered on NeoGAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom