• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

What's with the GAF server? Was gonna go on and play and not only is it empty, but it's titled Ironfist.net server? What have I missed?

EDIT: And I just typed in the address thinking it might be Icy's stat page, but it's some ghetto video game news site.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
1-D_FTW said:
I felt I was being affected by lag yesterday, too. 2Fort was an orgy of sentries in the stairs, so I figured I'd play as Scout the whole match. Was able to capture and return the intel in the beginning, but then I went on a nasty streak where I just could not nail the double jump to get into the enemy base. It was a subtle lag that was just completely screwing with me. I was like a lab rab missing the jump, running back, missing the jump, running back, missing the jump. And as I ran up the stairs in our base, the engineers kept panicking and shooting at me in case I was a spy.

Maybe the tubes were just clogged yesterday.
The lag yesterday that I (we) mentioned was like bullet time - as someone said on the server- the game froze for a couple of seconds every other second and it was jerking around and everything.

And wtf Ironfist? I'm getting that too.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
logo.jpg

Entertinment.

trh said:
The lag yesterday that I (we) mentioned was like bullet time - as someone said on the server- the game froze for a couple of seconds every other second and it was jerking around and everything.

And wtf Ironfist? I'm getting that too.
First thing that came to mind was, "Someone must be angry at the new reserved system".

I'd also like to blame the lag for my terrible run as soldier on 2fort last night, really doubt it though.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
What's with the GAF server? Was gonna go on and play and not only is it empty, but it's titled Ironfist.net server? What have I missed?

EDIT: And I just typed in the address thinking it might be Icy's stat page, but it's some ghetto video game news site.

Old site I ran during the old IGN.com Affiliate Network days. Logo is pretty old and was thrown up for a splash.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I don't load past that image. So could you explain what "gaming entertainment media" is? It's like they strung together the most buzzwords they could so google would be able to find it easily in searches.

Google doesn't recognize words in an IMAGE for searches :p

Everything I did with Official neoGAF server wise,etc is being frowned on. So Its being changed over.

Icy said:

Everything I did with Official neoGAF server wise,etc is being frowned on. So Its being changed over.
I'm confused. You handed over the GAF TF2 server to a gaming website?

trh

Icy said:

what? nooo

elaborate? :|

Icy

Banned
My use of the neogaf name is not sitting well with some people. So to avoid any problem, switching it over to my site's name. I don't undertstand what the problem is or why some of you are having kittens over it. Its just a name change for crying out loud.

Icy said:
My use of the neogaf name is not sitting well with some people. So to avoid any problem, switching it over to my site's name. I don't undertstand what the problem is or why some of you are having kittens over it. Its just a name change for crying out loud.
I think most people just misunderstood what was going on.

trh

Icy said:
I thought you handed over the server entirely to someone else and was going to stop with it all together.

Icy

Banned
NEOGAF Server #
That sucks about the server, especially with all the hard you put into it and the image hosting thing. Are you planning on renaming it? "Other" age. LOL

Anyways, thanks for all the work you did on it. It was fun while it lasted.[/quote[

wtf? I"M STILL RUNNING THEM AND OWNING THEM.

I was confused. Glad you didn't get rid of the server :)

BTW Icy, I think there is a new server update. I can't connect "server is running older version"

yeb

Tonight's update:
Improved paged pool memory tracking

Fixed crash on importing spray logo that claimed to be a valid jpeg file, but wasn't

Fixed Medic's uber-charge stats tracking

Fixed a bug in scoring Engineer building destruction

Engineers no longer earn points for using their own teleporters

Freezepanel hud improvements now trigger on usage of the "jpeg" command

Fixed Spies exploit enabling them to attack while disguising, without losing disguise

Fixed Spies being able to attach sappers through thin walls

Fixed several melee weapon switching exploits

Fixed exploit that allowed players to teleport with the intelligence

Fixed a client crash related to MP3 playing

Improved client handling of stats when a connection couldn't be made to the stat servers. Fixes several cases of stat loss
Yay, I was already sick of that. Also, from a match earlier today...
532791destruction.png

My K : D ratio isn't crazy or anything, but the DESTRUCTION :lol :lol :lol. I've been practicing to destroy sentries in common spots by shooting over buildings. My team had 3 sentries set up near the 2nd CP on stage 2, I was seriously tempted to switch just to see if I could destroy them all in one easy detonation.

Anyway, Icy, could you call it the UNofficial NeoGAF server? I can't believe so many people are confused still :lol.

Edited for link change.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hmm... noticing a couple more things as far as the limitations of sentries and squatting goes, and confirmed something in area 3 of dustbowl tonight while on offense.

Bottom line: sentries cannot do everything. They work best complimenting an actual team defense, not replacing one. Also, hope you don't have somebody skilled in anti-engie operations like me on the other team. :D

maus

Hey Icy wanna put me on the reserved list. I get 5 ping on the server so it'll be my main for sure.

oh, steamid: exmodel

Firestorm

maus said:
Hey Icy wanna put me on the reserved list. I get 5 ping on the server so it'll be my main for sure.

oh, steamid: exmodel

Lucky guy. I wish there was an active GAF server in Vancouver or at least Seattle =(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Icy: It's fine to use "NeoGAF" in the server listing on Steam as long as you aren't condoning racism and such. Other stuff you had going kinda gets into trademark territory.

Aegus

I feel like I'm the only who knows how to play demoman and pyro at times on the servers I visit. Something seriously wrong when 1 lone pyro (me) basically manage to force the entire 16 man blue team off the last point of lazytown and all the way back to their base where we eventually win.

Pyros are excellent at strafing SGs to destroy them and the Engi behind them. Priority list for Pyro = buildings and anyone who happens to be near them.

Talamius

Pyros also work as a very good support class to engys by keeping spies away. A spy can disguise but him being on fire is a dead giveaway.

1-D_FTW

Interesting thing about that Spy exploit fix. I didn't realize it existed.

There was one dude who was going on some real rampages against our team. Getting 3-4 kills against us in 2 seconds. After a couple times, some people were accusing him of cheating. I just assumed he was really good, now I'm inclined to believe he was cheating.

Aegus

Talamius said:
Pyros also work as a very good support class to engys by keeping spies away. A spy can disguise but him being on fire is a dead giveaway.

I prefer my suicide run approach. More more fun in the short and long term. Although suicide really isn't an apt term for me when I get a k:d ratio of 3:1 by running/sneaking into the enemy ranks. :lol

1-D_FTW

Aegus said:
I prefer my suicide run approach. More more fun in the short and long term. Although suicide really isn't an apt term for me when I get a k:d ratio of 3:1 by running/sneaking into the enemy ranks. :lol

You're either an amazing pryo or play against some really horrible players. I think I'm carrying at least a 10:1 k/d ratio against pyros.

Hitokage said:
Hmm... noticing a couple more things as far as the limitations of sentries and squatting goes, and confirmed something in area 3 of dustbowl tonight while on offense.

Bottom line: sentries cannot do everything. They work best complimenting an actual team defense, not replacing one. Also, hope you don't have somebody skilled in anti-engie operations like me on the other team. :D
This becomes painfully obvious around the 10th or so hour while playing as engineer. It's almost no use playing the class on a shitty team, which is why ive mostly quit playing as them.

1-D_FTW

That was my pet peave about engineer, too. Nothing worse than having to defend the last CP and having spies constantly sapping your equipment. Sap, wrench, sap, wrench.

Meanwhile, you've got a couple pyro teammates running 100 yards away completely ignoring what's happening.

EDIT: That's actually why I started playing pyro. I started as engineer and switched to pyro cause I was sick of turrets being destroyed as I watched a pyro crouch in a corner waiting for an ambush kill.

Wes

venison crêpe
Got the internet sorted in my flat at uni now and after seeing how crazy the reception has been for the Orange Box and especially for TF2 I've just dropped £30 on it. Very much looking forward to trying it out, shame the installation is taking a good 30 minutes!

Icy

Banned
Yeah gg Valve. New Patch really pist some people off.

Valve has tons of cvars for the server that were locked off unable to change/edit without a plugin to open them up. Such as no crits / crit dmg / etc.

New patch removed the cvars entirely So the only way to get no crit/ crit dmg changes / or anything else removed. Is to modify a server file via a hexedit or other method. Which in turn would de list your server. yay Valve.

Aegus

1-D_FTW said:
You're either an amazing pryo or play against some really horrible players. I think I'm carrying at least a 10:1 k/d ratio against pyros.

Probably the horrible players reason. It's kinda funny though since the majority of my team see how well I play on Pyro and we end up with 4 to 5 pyros running around. :lol

I love pyro, I can totally own with it. It just takes a while to get used to how to play. For example. Granary... have A and push for B? don't go directly to be, go via C up behind B. Lotsa kills in that.

Oh and if u get lucky a pyro can go one on one with the lowest level sentry and win. It's very close though.

firex

when I get on a shitty team I just play demoman for awhile. no one class is going to change the tide of things, but at least demo/soldier can nade/rocket spam and take out some people.

firex said:
when I get on a shitty team I just play demoman for awhile. no one class is going to change the tide of things, but at least demo/soldier can nade/rocket spam and take out some people.
I dunno, I think a good medic or spy will help a poor team at least regain some balance. A good spy will be able cause chaos on the other team or take out key sentries, and a medic will be able to keep most of the attackers alive. If the offensive classes suck, well then the team will suck :lol

sharkie

Added some gaf regulars to my friends list so if you see a request from TruLoki thats me and don't worry I don't bite, well not anymore.

firex

well, I do try playing medic, unless the offense is atrocious. and usually if the team I'm on is bad then the offense is atrocious, so I just go for something that at least has the opportunity to cause some havoc.

of course I still suck as a spy or else I would play that instead of demo when my team sucks. I haven't even played in a couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom