• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
How many are on the reserved list? If there's a lot of space I think we should make exceptions for those who have been on the server regularly. (I've seen MJ Doja on there so much, I though he was a gaffer.)

As long as it doesn't get out of hand where people are trying invite friends of friends on the list, it should be fine, right?

Icy

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Yeah, it's great for people who have a reserve slot but really bad for people who don't. Imagine spending 5-10 minutes trying to manually join(auto-join doesn't work) only to get kicked within seconds or minutes because someone with a reserve slot joins.

Not my problem or concern.

fallengorn said:
How many are on the reserved list? If there's a lot of space I think we should make exceptions for those who have been on the server regularly. (I've seen MJ Doja on there so much, I though he was a gaffer.)

As long as it doesn't get out of hand where people are trying invite friends of friends on the list, it should be fine, right?

Sitting at 26 people. and I got 4 more to add tonight.

Icy

Banned
PM of the year..

Hey Icy,

My Steam ID is...

0:0:XXXXXXXXX

I can't wait to play on the GAF servers, thanks so much for hosting them. I've played a couple games here and there but most of the time I can't even get in so I don't bother haha.

Thanks!

-XXXXX

P.S What are you wearing?

Icy said:
PM of the year..

Hey Icy,

My Steam ID is...

I can't wait to play on the GAF servers, thanks so much for hosting them. I've played a couple games here and there but most of the time I can't even get in so I don't bother haha.

Thanks!

-XXXXX

:lol

Icy said:
PM of the year..

Hey Icy,

My Steam ID is...

Thanks!

-XXXXX

:lol what

fallout

CrookedRain said:
Yeah, it's great for people who have a reserve slot but really bad for people who don't. Imagine spending 5-10 minutes trying to manually join(auto-join doesn't work) only to get kicked within seconds or minutes because someone with a reserve slot joins.
I hate to sound dick-ish, but there are plenty of other servers out there. I mean, sure, your buddy plays on there all the time, but I've probably spent more time in this thread, or sitting around on one of the empty servers waiting for people than actually playing on the NeoGAF server.

Any idea how long it takes for new members to get approved?
It varies. A lot.

Icy

Banned
Someone is remaking 2 Fort...

guessmeqq8.jpg

firex

well, like fallout says, that's why I'm not going to apply for a reserved slot. I like the GAF servers, but I play on so many others that I would rather the reserved slots go to people who play on Icy's servers primarily.

Icy

Banned
evlcookie said:
Nice someone is remaking 2fort? Let's hope it isn't as shit as the original.

original as in TF2 original? or TFC original? They are remaking it to be like the TFC

1-D_FTW

Went to go play right now, and it's back in the line:) When is it gonna be up permanently, Icy? 24 Players in the game, so it's not like I'm just not registered properly. Server is full.

firex said:
well, like fallout says, that's why I'm not going to apply for a reserved slot. I like the GAF servers, but I play on so many others that I would rather the reserved slots go to people who play on Icy's servers primarily.

A lot of those guys playing are randoms, though. The odds of there being 24 gaffers at any one time seem pretty slim. So I doubt you'll ever be denying a regular a slot. Give Icy the info.

1-D_FTW said:
Went to go play right now, and it's back in the line:) When is it gonna be up permanently, Icy? 24 Players in the game, so it's not like I'm just not registered properly. Server is full.

A lot of those guys playing are randoms, though. The odds of there being 24 gaffers at any one time seem pretty slim. So I doubt you'll ever be denying a regular a slot. Give Icy the info.
It was probably 24 players temporarily while someone was trying to join and then they got kicked.

Icy said:
the whole server is NeoGAF priority.

basically 23/24 slots will get used. It keeps 1 slot open until all slots are filled with people on the reserved list.

Lets says there's 23 public ppl playing.
and Crooked Rain joins, that'll make 24.

It'll kick the first public person with the shortest connection time off and make it 23/24 again.

And will continue to do so until all slots are filled with reserved people.

How does one get on this posh 'reserved list'?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
yeb said:
Crits from any class will basically tilt their damage past your ability to repair.
You're probably right, but I'm pretty sure I've landed crits on sentries and it didn't destroy them... and the engie can usually repair it before the next rocket.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hitokage said:
You're probably right, but I'm pretty sure I've landed crits on sentries and it didn't destroy them... and the engie can usually repair it before the next rocket.

Yea this is true. I can sit there shooting off rocket's all day and chances are the sentry wont drop. The only thing you can do is hope the engineer steps out to the side, shows a bit of skin. Try and hit that with a few rockets, pray one crits.

1-D_FTW

It's been a while since I've played engineer, but doesn't he take splash damage when he's crouched behind the sentry? So if you take out the dispenser first, then start working the engi & sentry, won't you get even the worst position? (Assuming there's only the engineer to worry about.)

evlcookie said:
Yea this is true. I can sit there shooting off rocket's all day and chances are the sentry wont drop. The only thing you can do is hope the engineer steps out to the side, shows a bit of skin. Try and hit that with a few rockets, pray one crits.

Eventually the sentry will go down. Assuming you have enough ammo and there's no one else around, once the engy's dispenser is depleted he has to wait for it to recharge so his ability to maintain the sg won't be able to keep up with the damage you do. It takes a while though. You're always better off trying to take out the dispenser first, in any case.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D: If a rocket impacts a sentry, then an engineer standing in a position opposite the impact will receive zero damage. Squatting takes advantage of this and both engineer and dispenser are protected by the sentry itself, although the engie himself has to man his station properly to make it work.

Confidence: A full dispenser and an engie with 200 metal takes a considerable amount of time to burn out. The key problem for a soldier is that every four shots he has to stop to reload, giving the dispenser time to transfer metal to the engie as well as recharge itself.

LiveWire

Scored my first capture for Team BLU as a Scout to bring the match on 2Fort to 2-1 in RED's favor, then the game auto-balance boots me and reassigns me to Team RED, and right as I'm about to get into BLU's HQ I get booted again and reassigned back to BLU. WTF?

firex

all right, I sent my steamid in. and I'm pretty sure the microphone with my headset works since it passed the TF2 ingame mic test, but what I have is kind of weird. the mic is a clipon separate from the headphones, so it feels like more of a hassle putting it on. but then again it's also not intrusive, and it picks up sound nicely. I'll give voice chat a shot sometime on the GAF server or the vent server maybe, that should help with coordination.

1-D_FTW

The Storyteller: I've had you as a medic quite a bit the last couple days (StalkerU). So if you've noticed any weird habits I have that make medicing hard, let me know and I'll start trying to correct it.

SDK update will be out sometime this morning!

Hi All-

I wanted to let you all know that I have finished testing the SDK update and it will go live tomorrow morning. Thanks very much for your patience while I spent extra time testing it out.

The main purpose of this release is to get the updated content creation tools in the hands of the community. The next major release will include the client and server DLL code for Episode 2 although there may be a couple of minor releases before that to address any problems.

Here are the interesting things to know about the release:

The new SDK contains tools for creating content compatible with both the Ep1 and Orange Box versions of the Source Engine.
By default the SDK launcher will launch the Orange Box versions of Hammer, Face Poser, and Model Viewer.
Adding ‘-engine ep1’ to the launch options for the Source SDK tool will set the launcher to run the Ep1 versions of Hammer Face Poser, and Model Viewer
There is a .vmf file for one of the shipping Portal maps in the 'sourcesdk_content' directory - testchmb_a_05.vmf. I will add an example map for Team Fortress 2 in a subsequent release.
When running the Orange Box versions of the 'studiomdl' and 'vtex' you should include '-nop4' on the command line to bypass our Perforce integration with these tools. I will eliminate this need in a subsequent release.

We're launching the new SDK on the morning of 11/07 so that I can be available to make fixes as soon as you get your hands on the SDK. Once it goes live please post to this thread if you see problems. We aren't able to release this version of the SDK as a beta so I will try to act as quickly as possible to fix problems and put out an update.

Icy

Banned
Confidence Man said:
SDK update will be out sometime this morning!

multiplied by X Valve Minutes brought to the nth power of Valve Days and depending on the alignment of the planets with the sun and the way gabe wipes his ass = 1 week.

I had a weird round with tons of lag on Gravelpit last night. It made my head hurt :(

Question: Who always votes for 2fort through rock the vote? I think the map with the most votes should win, even though if it's not the minimum of 8.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
omgimaninja said:
I had a weird round with tons of lag on Gravelpit last night. It made my head hurt :(

Question: Who always votes for 2fort through rock the vote? I think the map with the most votes should win, even though if it's not the minimum of 8.
Yeah what was up with the lag yesterday? Was really terrible.

I go by the nick Cell - And not TheCell like I saw someone using, is that anyone here btw? - usually with a ping of about 140 since I'm in Europe. Using the Portal logo as my avatar for lack of something better.

Poking around other forums it seems the sdk update is causing a lot of problems. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because it's functional at least, though some of the new features like lighting preview don't work and even the standard 3D shaded view is messed up. They still didn't fix whatever problem prevented cubemaps from being built in TF2, and since I've had no luck getting my map to run in another game to build them, I'm just going to release a beta without them. I'm compiling right now and unless I find something major it should be good to go shortly.

1-D_FTW

I felt I was being affected by lag yesterday, too. 2Fort was an orgy of sentries in the stairs, so I figured I'd play as Scout the whole match. Was able to capture and return the intel in the beginning, but then I went on a nasty streak where I just could not nail the double jump to get into the enemy base. It was a subtle lag that was just completely screwing with me. I was like a lab rab missing the jump, running back, missing the jump, running back, missing the jump. And as I ran up the stairs in our base, the engineers kept panicking and shooting at me in case I was a spy.

Maybe the tubes were just clogged yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom