• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
WhatRuOn said:
lol

Where are you finding this stuff, Crushed? Are their instructions anywhere?
Garry said:
Sep 2001
5771 Smartness

REQUIRES HL2:EP2 & GMOD10

How To Install The Beta

1. Download this file.

www.garrysmod.com/gmbeta/gmbeta2007.zip

2. Extract it to your SourceMods folder..

i.e. C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\

It should make the folder

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\gmbeta2007

The folder will be empty(ish)

3. Download and install Tortoise SVN

http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

4. Right click on the gmbeta2007 folder, and go to "SVN Update"

It should then update. It should just download gameinfo.txt and a load of spawnicons.

When you want to check for updates again, do the same thing again.

PLEASE NOTE!!!!! It isn't released yet. This is just to get people sorted with the setup of SVN and updating.

By the way, has anyone seen the Party Mode servers popping up thanks to the SDK update? Everyone wears party hats, balloons pop out when people are hit, and the gibs are wrapped presents. :lol

1-D_FTW

6tzvl9y.jpg

Who wants to uber him?

Exit sign should have been moved just a little.

By the way, has anyone seen the Party Mode servers popping up thanks to the SDK update? Everyone wears party hats, balloons pop out when people are hit, and the gibs are wrapped presents. :lol
That was around before the SDK update. There's a server command called tf_birthday that does it.

Wes

venison crêpe
Haha this game is so much fun! I started as a Soldier and I'm in love with it so much I don't want to change!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PillowKnight said:
This becomes painfully obvious around the 10th or so hour while playing as engineer. It's almost no use playing the class on a shitty team, which is why ive mostly quit playing as them.
The team I first joined last night was making itself sparse on the front line, and at one point in dustbowl area 3 near the first cap myself and another engineer were pretty much the only people there and as much as we tried we couldn't avoid getting rolled when they brought in everyone... and some asshole was like OMG WE HAVE THREE ENGINEERS WHERE ARE THE SENTRIES after they capped it seconds later.

That's when I changed teams.

1-D_FTW said:
That was my pet peave about engineer, too. Nothing worse than having to defend the last CP and having spies constantly sapping your equipment. Sap, wrench, sap, wrench.
I'm pretty decent at defending against that so it's not a huge issue.

firex said:
when I get on a shitty team I just play demoman for awhile. no one class is going to change the tide of things, but at least demo/soldier can nade/rocket spam and take out some people.
I've made some game changing performances as soldier when my team has a half-decent medic. Otherwise there's only so many I can kill on my own. :(

1-D_FTW

Some good games. I should have medic'ed you after the match you medic'ed me Ricard, but I'm a pretty lousy medic. As long as we kept winning, I figured I'd stay with the class that helps the team the most. I like to stick with soldier unless we're getting beaten and we really need a different class.

Firestorm

Kicked: Reason kicked by console

But I have a reserved slot? Did you randomly kick me Icy or is the reserved slot system buggy?

Icy

Banned
vultureparade said:
Hey Icy, would it be possible to change to the Speex codec so mac users can use the server too? For chatting and such in osx.

hmm didn't know that was an issue for mac users.

Speex is enabled!

Hmm, I'm still getting this message when I join -- "This version of the Mac client requires that the server be configured for the Speex codec, but the server you just connected to uses the GSM 6.10 codec. Inbound and Outbound voice comm will not function."

Oh Mac ventrilo

Jacobi

Banned
Something weird happened last night:

I sapped a sentry (sorry guys, I also mostly play engineer and hate spies), but the dispenser next to it "healed" it and my sapper disappeared... Didn't know that works...

vultureparade said:
Hmm, I'm still getting this message when I join -- "This version of the Mac client requires that the server be configured for the Speex codec, but the server you just connected to uses the GSM 6.10 codec. Inbound and Outbound voice comm will not function."

Oh Mac ventrilo
What computer are you running vulture? I'm running boot camp on my iMac. Why wouldn't the PC version of Vent work?

What computer are you running vulture? I'm running boot camp on my iMac. Why wouldn't the PC version of Vent work?

I'm running a macbook pro. I also have boot camp running, and the vent works great in windows. I was just hoping to use it for some chatting while I'm in osx "working" :lol

McBradders said:
Hay guyz, I finally jumped in and purchased... downloading now.

What have I let myself in for? D:
You'll be on the gaf server right? I'd like to apologize in advance.

Edit; What class are you thinking of playing? I could share a few tips on the common newbie mistakes.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
PillowKnight said:
You'll be on the gaf server right? I'd like to apologize in advance.

Edit; What class are you thinking of playing? I could share a few tips on the common newbie mistakes.

I didn't know there was a GAF server, and I would like to play a Medic. My twitchy shooting sucks so I guess if nothing else I can contribute positively elsewhere XD

I woulda got the Xbobx 360 version, but the lag issues would really put me off.

I would start out as a soldier when you begin playing. It's probably the easiest to play off the bat.

Medic is fun, but if you've never played before people might be yelling at your if you're not doing a good enough job of healing/ubercharging.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
omgimaninja said:
I would start out as a soldier when you begin playing. It's probably the easiest to play off the bat.

Medic is fun, but if you've never played before people might be yelling at your if you're not doing a good enough job of healing/ubercharging.
I concur. Unless there's already a medic on the team. At least then you can get a feel for the game without the pressure of a half dozen people yelling medic.

Once you get a feel for the maps, don't be afraid of dabbling in the other classes too. Even if your shooting isn't spectacular.

McBradders said:
I didn't know there was a GAF server, and I would like to play a Medic. My twitchy shooting sucks so I guess if nothing else I can contribute positively elsewhere XD

I woulda got the Xbobx 360 version, but the lag issues would really put me off.
Aside from what everyone else said, if you want to learn to play medic catch a game with puyo and watch what he does. Generally though, heal everyone, as a medic its not a good idea to stick to one target, a lot of newbie medics pick a heavy and just latch onto him ignoring all other players, this is really the worst thing you could do as a medic. So long as you heal everyone who needs healing, you should do fine. Oh and always avoid the line of fire, avoid running into actual battles until you know you can trust your rocket dodging skills.

That reminds me, take these anti spy tips to heart, as medic the bolded is the most important.

Spies will become extremely annoying otherwise :

1) Learn the location of different classes, ie, is there a engineer in a location where engineers don't often go? Shoot the hell out of them. This is also true for offensive classes walking backwards, offensive classes never go backwards, unless of course they're about to die.
2) Shoot at them, if they make any attempt to dodge your shots, its a spy. This is specially true with soldiers, your teamates will never attempt to dodge your rockets.
3) If you see yourself colliding with an ally, that's a spy. There's very little hit detection between you and your teamates to the point where you can basically walk right through them, this isnt true for spies. Also, if you see someone walking suspisiouly towards your back, that's a very good way to identify a spy who's trying to back stab. It's hard to explain it but there's something about the way they walk in a sort of circle towards your back.
4) Look to people who arent shooting, if one of your ally seems to be running around doing alot of nothing, that's a telltale sign of a spy, this last one's harder to notice unless you're really observant.
5) Whenever possible have your back against a wall.
6) Finally, when you're by yourself, be a bit paranoid, and flip to your back every once in a while, you might get lucky and find a spy uncloaking.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
PillowKnight said:
Aside from what everyone else said, if you want to learn to play medic catch a game with puyo and watch what he does. Generally though, heal everyone, as a medic its not a good idea to stick to one target, a lot of newbie medics pick a heavy and just latch onto him ignoring all other players, this is really the worst thing you could do as a medic. So long as you heal everyone who needs healing, you should do fine. Oh and always avoid the line of fire, avoid running into actual battles until you know you can trust your rocket dodging skills.

That reminds me, take these anti spy tips to heart, as medic the bolded is the most important.

Spies will become extremely annoying otherwise :

1) Learn the location of different classes, ie, is there a engineer in a location where engineers don't often go? Shoot the hell out of them. This is also true for offensive classes walking backwards, offensive classes never go backwards, unless of course they're about to die.
2) Shoot at them, if they make any attempt to dodge your shots, its a spy. This is specially true with soldiers, your teamates will never attempt to dodge your rockets.
3) If you see yourself colliding with an ally, that's a spy. There's very little hit detection between you and your teamates to the point where you can basically walk right through them, this isnt true for spies. Also, if you see someone walking suspisiouly towards your back, that's a very good way to identify a spy who's trying to back stab. It's hard to explain it but there's something about the way they walk in a sort of circle towards your back.
4) Look to people who arent shooting, if one of your ally seems to be running around doing alot of nothing, that's a telltale sign of a spy, this last one's harder to notice unless you're really observant.
5) Whenever possible have your back against a wall.
6) Finally, when you're by yourself, be a bit paranoid, and flip to your back every once in a while, you might get lucky and find a spy uncloaking.

Good advice I will no doubt forget within 30 seconds of booting and become really frustrated :lol

PillowKnight said:
I got it, bug Icy to put it on the server tonight.

Edit : I just looked through the screen shots and that outside environment looks like sniper hell, my snipers are scum alarm is really going off.

You can go base to base in the trenches and tunnels if you want to avoid snipers. There are three ways in.

1-D_FTW

That was a wicked crash. Usually when the server goes down, the IP address is still showing. It's completely gone from the favorite menu.

So I presume theres no way to restore your stats after that damn bug? :(

Didn't realise that the steamid one got wiped as well just thought it was the ingame one. Lovely.

Uncle AJ

Someone bring me up to speed: what's this "ReservedSlot" nonsense, and why I haven't I been able to join the GAF server all week?

Icy

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Hey Icy are you just making a certain amount of slots reserved or how are you working that out of curiosity?

its been explained multiple posts earlier. read the thread pls.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Storyteller said:
Annnd I just broke my long standing record for most points as a medic. Yay me.
*looks it up*

Haha, that's pretty good. Certainly more than a medic could get with me when I'm not restrained from charging into enemy front lines. I really should be more mindful of that. :(

EDIT: Just looked at puyo's stat page. Holy shit.

The Storyteller said:
Annnd I just broke my long standing record for most points as a medic. Yay me.
Wow that's higher than my most points with any class (Spy-34) , I wonder who has the highest most points...after 30 or so I find it extremely hard to get points. Not only do you have to stay alive that long, but you also have to get the map to last long enough.

Edit : Saw puyo's 51 holy shit.

PillowKnight said:
Edit : Saw puyo's 51 holy shit.

Hitokage said:
EDIT: Just looked at puyo's stat page. Holy shit.

Puyo's 51 is my goal to be beat. I did notice I have a highr healing than he does.
All in good time.

Hitokage said:
*looks it up*

Haha, that's pretty good. Certainly more than a medic could get with me when I'm not restrained from charging into enemy front lines. I really should be more mindful of that. :(

You are actually one of my favourite medic buddies. I'm sure i wouldn't of gotten my previous record without your help.

I must admit that from watching Puyo, I've adopted his uber and retreat method. I used to follow my uber buddy right into the thick of it, now I just run away once the uber runs out, so i can save my own ass, then they usually die but somehow I'm fine with that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I dunno, maybe it's just the time I spent playing today where I kept jumping into situations that were over my head(more than usual anyway) and I'm unsure if I handled them as well as I could have even after the initial lapse in judgement... as well as other spots in the past several days where I've had to work with non-career medics or medics of lesser ability and few of them could claim to live very long.

Ah well, I'm sure I'll have a match that'll make me feel better about it soon enough. Live and learn, I suppose.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I can't even reset the damn stats. Is this a bug or any one know another way to reset them ? I dont believe it has been updating my class stats at all, especially the solder. I am damn sure i have gotten more than 21 in a round.

And puyo is an insane healer, easily one of the best if not the best i have seen in TF2.

Also anyone want to let me kill them 10 times with a sentry gun? :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
All those stat records are per life, not per round.

...and get icy to load well classic or avantiville. It's easy to get the sentry gunner achievement in those maps. ;)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
oh per life. Hrm well that doesn't help me get a high school since i always charge in. :lol

And i got 9 fucking sentry kills at dustbowl today, so pumped and then a bloody demoman came along and ruined it all. After that my engineer life was all downhill.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
My first truly high record was set while defending dustbowl area 3(the time I dominated 8 different people on the other team), then I think I broke it twice defending point B in gravelpit slaughtering people as they came out of the tunnels.

Oh, and while I have a damage record of 6,518 (as Soldier), Ferrio has 7,550 (as Heavy). I don't think I'll break that anytime soon on the GAF server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom