• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleazyC

I just started playing Medic recently and try to keep up with everyone but I really have fun healing you Hitokage. Even though you do run off and I have to break away to keep from dying. Of course the funny thing is is that I run away and end up dying and you run into a group of enemies and end up living :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I really need to try and hang back a bit, get some healing + health packs. Maybe then i can finally get some decent stats. My aiming is also terrible, which isn't a good thing as a soldier :lol . I think i need to become crazy twitchy, but my old pc doesn't really allow me too. Ah i will find a balance one of these days.

Kweh

Almost got this Head of the Class achievement, i'm at 8/9 but can't remember now which class it is I have left - there any way to find out?

ice cream

Banned
Icy said:
Yeah gg Valve. New Patch really pist some people off.

Valve has tons of cvars for the server that were locked off unable to change/edit without a plugin to open them up. Such as no crits / crit dmg / etc.

New patch removed the cvars entirely So the only way to get no crit/ crit dmg changes / or anything else removed. Is to modify a server file via a hexedit or other method. Which in turn would de list your server. yay Valve.
WTF man, why are they doing this? I doubt TF2 will ever get competitive servers now..

firex

I think my most points per life are 30 with both medic and sniper, and then 29 with engineer, and 28 with demo... and I have one near or in the 20s with pyro.

Hitokage said:
My first truly high record was set while defending dustbowl area 3(the time I dominated 8 different people on the other team), then I think I broke it twice defending point B in gravelpit slaughtering people as they came out of the tunnels..

Is area 3 the one with the narrow streets? Cos that is my favourite map in the entire game. I played heavy on it a couple of days ago and completely dominated....until PillowKnight started striking back.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
*looks it up*

Haha, that's pretty good. Certainly more than a medic could get with me when I'm not restrained from charging into enemy front lines. I really should be more mindful of that. :(

EDIT: Just looked at puyo's stat page. Holy shit.

I tend to do that, too. Either I'm gonna clean house or die trying. I'm sure my soldier records would be a lot better if I had some self-preservation when Uber's were enabled, too (Or self-preservation when I didn't have ubers. Luckily I've started to play a lot more cautiously during sudden deaths.)

The otherside of that is the medic who peels out of an uber after 2 seconds and retreats to safety leaving you to quickly die. I had a couple of those recently. You rush in to try and get a heavily defended CP, and after 5 steps, your uber is gone and your dead. Which is too bad, cause there's only one way to win: Either do a Rambo and capture the CP or soften it significantly so the rest of the team can capture it. Sometimes that results in a terrible sequence, but somebody's gotta do it.

1-D_FTW said:
The otherside of that is the medic who peels out of an uber after 2 seconds and retreats to safety leaving you to quickly die. I had a couple of those recently. You rush in to try and get a heavily defended CP, and after 5 steps, your uber is gone and your dead.
Well, its better one of you dies, then the both of you...

1-D_FTW

I'm not sure what part I edited after you replied.

I just like to win. I think my winning percentage is over 80 percent (the one stat I do care about, not tracked.)

And I'm talking about a final CP where it doesn't take much time to capture. Or a sentry that's completely stopped all progress. These things need to have a capture/destroy or die mentality. To take two steps into that, be dead, and see your medic just standing back is frustrating. If he didn't wanna rush, don't uber. Pick somebody else. I'm taking that as a sign to break the stalemate.

I think you're a great medic, btw. Maybe you hate my soldiering style (not saying you do), but it's pretty darn effective when it comes to affecting the team's W-L record.

1-D_FTW said:
And I'm talking about a final CP where it doesn't take much time to capture. Or a sentry that's completely stopped all progress. These things need to have a capture/destroy or die mentality. To take two steps into that, be dead, and see your medic just standing back is frustrating. If he didn't wanna rush, don't uber. Pick somebody else. I'm taking that as a sign to break the stalemate.

Ok, sorry I missed that part. I definitely agree with you.

1-D_FTW said:
I think you're a great medic, btw. Maybe you hate my soldiering style (not saying you do), but it's pretty darn effective when it comes to affecting the team's W-L record.

Hell no. Your StalkerU right? Your my favourite soldier.

Kweh

I can't rocket jump...at least not as high as I've seen other soldiers go

Should I be firing the rocket at the peak of my jump?

firex

When I play medic I tend to be take uber to be the charge to go kill everything possible. For that reason I may have a fully charged uber for awhile, and save it until I find someone on offense who's aggressive. sounds like StalkerU and i should pair up on the GAF servers, heh.

Aegus

Have they changed the demoman or something recently? I can't seem to detonate sticky grenades the moment they leave my launcher now and have to wait the agonising 3 seconds it feels it takes to detonate them.

edit: Oh it seems near instant-exploding grenades are a server side option.

Doytch

Hitokage said:
I dunno, maybe it's just the time I spent playing today where I kept jumping into situations that were over my head(more than usual anyway) and I'm unsure if I handled them as well as I could have even after the initial lapse in judgement... as well as other spots in the past several days where I've had to work with non-career medics or medics of lesser ability and few of them could claim to live very long.

Ah well, I'm sure I'll have a match that'll make me feel better about it soon enough. Live and learn, I suppose.

That's me! :lol

I've been playing some different classes lately, trying to get a feel for Demo and Medic. Demo feels like a nice class to play when I just want to chill out and not go suicidal like I always do with any offensive class.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You'd fall into the non-career medic category, as with anyone else who doesn't usually play that class. ;)

1-D_FTW: Haha, indeed. I think despite the advent of the respawn timer, and despite all my years playing counterstrike, my most natural and effective playstyle hails back to the aggressive quake 1 days. Though even if I content myself with bringing down as many with me as possible, I still have to live with a rocket launcher clip. I'm fairly certain I'd be far more dangerous if I had a 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th rocket ready to go after the 4th while I'm surrounded by others. On the other hand, with the new medic I usually don't have to worry about not-dying, which is something I'm not terribly good at, and focus on killing others, which I usually am good at.

... of course, that's also part of the issue. I must admit that at certain times when I'm attacking with medic support I'll completely forget about the medic and even my own health while all of my attention gets absorbed in the act of aiming, firing, and maneuvering for my own ends.

Icy

Banned
Aegus said:
Have they changed the demoman or something recently? I can't seem to detonate sticky grenades the moment they leave my launcher now and have to wait the agonising 3 seconds it feels it takes to detonate them.

edit: Oh it seems near instant-exploding grenades are a server side option.

its not controlled server side without the use of a plugin.

Firestorm

Hitokage said:
You'd fall into the non-career medic category, as with anyone else who doesn't usually play that class. ;)

1-D_FTW: Haha, indeed. I think despite the advent of the respawn timer, and despite all my years playing counterstrike, my most natural and effective playstyle hails back to the aggressive quake 1 days. Though even if I content myself with bringing down as many with me as possible, I still have to live with a rocket launcher clip. I'm fairly certain I'd be far more dangerous if I had a 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th rocket ready to go after the 4th while I'm surrounded by others. On the other hand, with the new medic I usually don't have to worry about not-dying, which is something I'm not terribly good at, and focus on killing others, which I usually am good at.

... of course, that's also part of the issue. I must admit that at certain times when I'm attacking with medic support I'll completely forget about the medic and even my own health while all of my attention gets absorbed in the act of aiming, firing, and maneuvering for my own ends.

Yeah, it's fun to heal you just to watch you jump around like a rabbit :lol You are pretty damn good at avoiding those rockets. I need a mic so I can tell you when I'm low on health though. Yesterday I was healing with me at like 13 hp and was scared to death I was going to die.

My style of play is basically kamikaze with almost every class I play. Take down as many as I can before I die so I can soften it up for reinforcements. One of my favourite plays is when I ubered my Pyro friend on the second CP at the second part of Dustbowl. We went in, destroyed three sentries, and both died. Someone took that time to capture before I even respawned =)

Rlan

Question: How are the fan videos like the Pyro one and the pure pwnage ones made? Do they use Garry's Mod or some other program?

I have GM 2007 but you can't seem to make yourself turn into a TF2 character for movement. Speaking of TF2, is it possible to create a ragdoll character, and then make it go into a looping animation from the games?

Firestorm

It can't be Garry's Mod because it just started working with TF2 and the Pure Pwnage episode was ready and screened across Canada on November 3rd.

Firestorm said:
I need a mic so I can tell you when I'm low on health though. Yesterday I was healing with me at like 13 hp and was scared to death I was going to die.

When I'm low on health and my partner doesn't know I usually just call for a medic myself. That at least makes them aware your in trouble.

But I think I need a mic as well.

rakka

can't remember the last time i bought a game

don't want to get the whole orange box, only tf2.

is the $30 (steam) for just this game worth it?

Firestorm

rakka said:

Do you have the rest of the games or something? $20 more for Portal, and the Half-Life 2 series is more than enough. Or hell, even just Portal!

But yes, it's worth $30. I've spent over 20 hours on it already and I hardly ever play PC games.

rakka said:

Buy the orange box, if you don't enjoy portal, id gladly take a month ban as compensation.

Storyteller : I remember that match very well, we'd go in uber, push each other back non stop. Best time i've ever had with a heavy.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That was a nice match in warpath. I wasn't even sure it would end for a while.

rakka said:
Buy TF2 10 times to be absolved. :p

The Storyteller said:
When I'm low on health and my partner doesn't know I usually just call for a medic myself. That at least makes them aware your in trouble.
Eh... I can see myself not noticing that it's YOU calling for the medic and not some other guy.

"can't remember the last time i bought a game

is the $30 (steam) for just this game worth it?"

If your willing to try your luck, best buy and circuitcity both have orange box on sale on black friday...

rakka

too late :p

7yho6pt.png

as for portal, i'll definitely get it standalone in the near future

Twig

Banned
rakka said:
as for portal, i'll definitely get it standalone in the near future
What.

So you'll pay another $20 for Portal after paying $30 for TF2, but you wouldn't pay $50 for TOB which comes with both plus more.

Something's not right here.

rakka

TheOneGuy said:
What.

So you'll pay another $20 for Portal after paying $30 for TF2, but you wouldn't pay $50 for TOB which comes with both plus more.

Something's not right here.
isp monthly bandwidth limit; internet sucks here

rakka

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"isp monthly bandwidth limit; internet sucks here"

Well, you wouldn't have to download them all at once so you still could have gotten orange box...
true true. but lets just say i also don't have enough for OB atm.

"true true. but lets just say i also don't have enough for OB atm."

ah, makes sense then, I just thought you didn't do it just because of your bandwidth limit thing.

The GAF team in the TGL tournament, unfortunately, suffered horrible defeat today, knocking us out of the tournament.

We made second round, though! Good games all the unkind folks.

Doytch

Teknopathetic said:
The GAF team in the TGL tournament, unfortunately, suffered horrible defeat today, knocking us out of the tournament.

We made second round, though! Good games all the unkind folks.

Teknopathetic
But there's no sense crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying till you run out of cake!
(Today, 03:15 AM)
Reply | Quote

You guys entered in any more tournies?

"You guys entered in any more tournies?"

Not at the moment, and I'm not sure if our current lineup will continue on doing it. Personally, I'm unsure myself if I'd want to play TF2 more "competitively."

UT3 \m/

Icy

Banned
rakka said:
unmetered servers

wouldn't buy it without doing a bit of research first

still makes no sense.. you sad your isp has a bandwidth limit. This game would affect that. What does unmetered servers to do with anything? I mean I'm not arguing with you. But everything you have posted has contradicted itself.

Doytch

Teknopathetic said:

Not at the moment, and I'm not sure if our current lineup will continue on doing it. Personally, I'm unsure myself if I'd want to play TF2 more "competitively."

UT3 \m/

I'm gonna be pissed as hell if I cave in and buy UT3. I've already got Mass Effect to go through, before my finals start. I'm actually kind of glad they're not releasing the Linux installer right away, might give me time to finish my finals(and get the rest of my student loans). :D

PillowKnight said:
Storyteller : I remember that match very well, we'd go in uber, push each other back non stop. Best time i've ever had with a heavy.
Me too.

Hitokage said:
Eh... I can see myself not noticing that it's YOU calling for the medic and not some other guy.
True. That's why you should notice harder. :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Icy said:
still makes no sense.. you sad your isp has a bandwidth limit. This game would affect that. What does unmetered servers to do with anything? I mean I'm not arguing with you. But everything you have posted has contradicted itself.

I am guessing rakka is from AUS and is on the ISP Internode, i hope i am right. Since you also know i am from AUS i do have a bandwidth limit, this is just a download quota limit per month. I get 45gb of downloads every month, uploads are not counted toward the 45gb quota (Not all ISP's give you free upload). Playing on an unmetered server means whatever i transfer in downloads while playing on it does not go towards the quota. Hope that makes sense :lol .

TF2 doesn't seem to download much anyway, 30mb for about 90mins worth of play. That's going by what i have noticed, i have never bothered to really time and check.

rakka

Icy said:
it has? evlcookie above got it right, except for me it's with bigpond, not internode. bandwidth limit = download/upload quota, and playing on unmetered servers (i.e http://www.gamearena.com.au/pc/games/title/team-fortress-2/servers.php) doesn't count towards that monthly limit. in the end however online fps doesn't really use all that much from what i;ve played, so i won't restrict myself to these few unmetered servers all the time.
also, bigpond/gamearena hosts steam content too (not all of it, just some). so i was able to buy then download the ~2.8gb of tf2 without it counting towards the monthly quota.

does that make sense?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It was either internode or bigpond, 50/50 chance. Sorta wish i wasn't on iinet, lazy bastard's dont really have any TF2 servers. Internode and bigpond just put them to shame.

poovine

Anyone catch last nights Family Guy with Lois shooting the chaingun at a running Stewie. It was just like the TF2 trailer with the Heavy shooting at the scout.

Icy

Banned
poovine said:
Anyone catch last nights Family Guy with Lois shooting the chaingun at a running Stewie. It was just like the TF2 trailer with the Heavy shooting at the scout.

yeah it was a spoof.

Jenga

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

UT3 \m/
We're entering competitive stuff? If you guys have any slots open in your lineups, sign me right up.

Icy

Banned
Jenga said:
We're entering competitive stuff? If you guys have any slots open in your lineups, sign me right up.

You're a month late. And they were knocked out of the tournament.

Tre sabotaged the team i hear.. over cries of UT3 in the coming days.. he felt it was neccessary to trip up the team to get them out of competition so he can devote his entire life to UT3.. err I mean UT2k4 Version 2.x Extreme Graphics that suck that comes in a box with a sealed box of shit edition. It can all be found in Zanboo's upcoming book entitled. "Life and times of a competitive FPS team, where Tre deceived us." Will be on sale @ Amazon.com for the low low price of 199.95 per 10 page copy. No color pictures. Pure greatness. Its a tear jerker. :D

poovine

Icy said:
yeah it was a spoof.

I didn't think it was a reference at first since it takes so long to animate the shows, given the game just came out, but I guess the trailers been out for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom