• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xizk

I'm from europe and I play on the neogaf server quite often. My ping is around 135 on the east server and it doesn't lag much.

1-D_FTW

Eh. I popped it for two seconds and didn't really recognize many players. And I just really hate 2fort. Don't feel like playing that forever how long to get to a map that doesn't suck.

Davidion

Firestorm said:
get online shtoopids, it's GAF TF2 night

Don't have my new 8800gt yet. :(

Hey Icy, I know you don't like to broadcast the server financials but can you show us a gauge of how much more funding you'll need to keep this thing afloat? A few of us have donated but I'm sure we can rally up some dough to keep this thing alive.

I buy a video card and now I feel generous all of a sudden. The fuck...

YakiSOBA

I'm not too familiar with valve games, never really played any until TF2 -- but quick question:

Is TF2 more or less going to stay the way it is (balance issue wise) for the rest of its life? Or will they potentially be changing the way some classes work, etc?

What's in store for future updates other than maps?

Icy

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
I'm not too familiar with valve games, never really played any until TF2 -- but quick question:

Is TF2 more or less going to stay the way it is (balance issue wise) for the rest of its life? Or will they potentially be changing the way some classes work, etc?

What's in store for future updates other than maps?

Balance will probalby be tweaked slightly. But nothing major.

Yes more maps are on the way. something called cp_bridge and cp_badlands (remake)

They also have a Hunted game version coming out (3 teams, 1 player is vip, rest are either assassin or bodyguards)

and there might be a 4 team mod coming out.

Icy

Banned
running new server update:

- Changed some networking code to help alleviate the lagouts some
clients are experiencing
- Added sv_pure to the server, currently defaults to off. Type "sv_pure"
in the console to get the full description
- Added DoAskConnect command to serverplugin sample
- Added server log entries for: Round_Start, Round_Setup_Begin,
Round_Setup_End, Round_Overtime, Round_SuddenDeath, Round_Stalemate,
Round_Win, Round_Length, Mini_Round_Selected, Mini_Round_Start,
Mini_Round_Win, and Mini_Round_Length
- Server log entries for Round_Win and level changes will now detail the
team scores and player counts
- Updated server log entries for flag captures to detail the number of
captures and the tf_flag_caps_per_round value
- Removed some legacy math convars for turning off SSE/MMX
- Fixed terrain collision bug that allowed players to get under the
terrain in some maps

- Fixed jump/taunt exploit
- Fixed Windows dedicated server running in -console mode moves its
window to the front instead of the back upon startup
- Fixed Windows dedicated server bug (in -console mode) where typing
anything in the console window was slow and tedious
- Fixed an error when updating name of 32nd player on server
- Fixed extra ascii 0x01 character at the beginning of "<username>
connected" console spew
- Fixed a bug that could cause a slight delay on engine startup

firex

nice to hear that people are modding in modes like protect the VIP. I never played it much on TFC but it was still a cool game to play every now and then.

Davidion

Confidence Man said:
They're making Badlands a cp map? :/ Why do they hate ctf?

I think it's because ctf is much harder in TF2, particularly with a big map like badlands.

I do love that map though, many memories of good times.

Icy

Banned
firex said:
nice to hear that people are modding in modes like protect the VIP. I never played it much on TFC but it was still a cool game to play every now and then.

not modding. THis is official support won't be ready until the turn of the year.

1-D_FTW

I'll probably give it another shot tomorrow night.

Love the fact the update lets Gravel Pit get back into play.

Also love the info Icy provided about the new map and play modes. Glad the two new maps are both CP. CTF just isn't fun in TF2.

JoeFu

Banned
Icy said:
Turkey Day is TF2 Night! @ 8 pm EST!

I will be playing tomorrow night. I finally have time. Going to play as much as I can for most the games other than TF2, then when 7 pm cst rolls around I'll be on TF2.

Icy

Banned
Another TF2 Patch!

- Took a more aggressive approach to solving the exploit that would
allow players to get underneath terrain in Team Fortress 2

- Fixed building bone merge cache from dormant entities. Fixes weapons
in SourceTV attached to wrong bones
- Pass over spectator UI and scoreboard in SourceTV mode,
disabled/changed some VGUI elements
- ALT will switch to Auto-Director mode in SourceTV

Icy

Banned
warpath final is now on the server. Everything is fixed including the timer, and fps issues. Fucking smoooth as silk now. Rock2 next.

1-D_FTW

If you know anybody who wants Orange Box, it's live on Bestbuy.com for 24.99 and free shipping. Finally picked up Bioshock (also 24.99.)

1-D_FTW

True. But it could be 4.99 and I wouldn't step foot into that place tomorrow. I think I went at 11:30 a.m. last year and the lines were still from the checkout to the back of the store. Sure the line outside was no longer there, but even aisles were packed liked sardines. Free shipping beats that non-sense:)

New version of crossunder is up here. Moved the bases closer, made the little building in the middle larger for more cover, added a round timer, another spawn, and some other stuff.

firex

oh man, I just realized I have 2 weeks of class left and then finals. and my finals are easy so this is like a 3 week break to play WoW and TF2.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Warpath was better in beta, or at least tolerable. The newer version is incredibly ammo-starved, and the lack of delayed respawn makes it worse.

I spent half an hour as engineer being fairly pissed off until finally switching to soldier.

JoeFu

Banned
Hitokage said:
Warpath was better in beta, or at least tolerable. The newer version is incredibly ammo-starved, and the lack of delayed respawn makes it worse.

I spent half an hour as engineer being fairly pissed off until finally switching to soldier.

Other than Warpath, tonight was really fun. I got to heal Hito when he punched 3 people with the heavy.

Hitokage said:
Warpath was better in beta. The newer version is incredibly ammo-starved.
I did not notice. But I was medic the entire time. I like the map, its just that something needs to be done about the respawn times. The games drag on for far to long.
Oh and sorry Joefu, I swear everytime I pressed uber you blew up a second before. I kept on trying to time the uber at the most advantageous times, but it kept on working against me.

That was an awesome come back at the end though.

JoeFu

Banned
The Storyteller said:
I did not notice. But I was medic the entire time. I like the map, its just that something needs to be done about the respawn times. The games drag on for far to long.
Oh and sorry Joefu, I swear everytime I pressed uber you blew up a second before. I kept on trying to time the uber at the most advantageous times, but it kept on working against me.

That was an awesome come back at the end though.

Yeah... I was wondering why you weren't ubering me when I was getting shot at.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It really sucks when you only have a newly-built dispenser and maybe one ammo drop to build a sentry to level 3, and your team can't keep the other at bay. When we started getting beat badly in the middle cap point is when I entered a world of frustration, and no, I didn't have time to worry about teleporters like I did before. :p

EDIT: The downside to having fun punching people in the face is that I keep trying to do so in situtions that don't call for it. :lol

The Storyteller said:
PillowKnight: is there a class you aren't completely awesome at?
haha, thanks. I'm terrible at sniper and so so at pyro.

You guys missed it, just as you left this clan came in with what seemed like a bunch of their friends and proceeded to destroy my team round after round, after round. Could've really used some back up there :(.

I just picked Orange Box up from BB and I've got to say so far I'm not really feeling TF2. Game seems to move a lot faster which apparently exposes me for the piss poor soldier I am.

Icy

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
I just picked Orange Box up from BB and I've got to say so far I'm not really feeling TF2. Game seems to move a lot faster which apparently exposes me for the piss poor soldier I am.

Try out the other classes, once you've adjusted to the gameplay and speed the game is crazy fun. The game is too fast paced on PC for most console players.

1-D_FTW

Just played for a little over an hour. Was depressing how a ton of people left after Castle and we were never able to get them back (Didn't help that we were destroying the other team.)

I think we were playing on Hydro with 5 guys on our team and we had two snipers. It was me and Zero, and 3 guys with no points. Even the last capture point that's almost impossible to hold, only one of the snipers changed classes (to medic.) Not sure what the other dude was thinking he could snipe in that.

EDIT: And it was only 5 cause auto-balance kicked in and gave us another player. There was a little period of 4 guys on our team and two were snipers.

1-D_FTW said:
Just played for a little over an hour. Was depressing how a ton of people left after Castle and we were never able to get them back (Didn't help that we were destroying the other team.)

I think we were playing on Hydro with 5 guys on our team and we had two snipers. It was me and Zero, and 3 guys with no points. Even the last capture point that's almost impossible to hold, only one of the snipers changed classes (to medic.) Not sure what the other dude was thinking he could snipe in that.

EDIT: And it was only 5 cause auto-balance kicked in and gave us another player. There was a little period of 4 guys on our team and two were snipers.
Yeah the reason people left was because we kept stacking the teams :(. At least on hydro.

Son of Godzilla said:
you know I thought the same thing yesterday. I've played : Heavy, Pyro, Scout, Demo, Solider, Engineer thus far. I'm staying away from medic because that is something I don't really want to understand. Everything else is really frantic though which is kinda fun because the fire fights are INTENSE!

I love how it zooms back on who killed you and the rivalries are frickin' awesome.

Borys

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
you know I thought the same thing yesterday. I've played : Heavy, Pyro, Scout, Demo, Solider, Engineer thus far. I'm staying away from medic because that is something I don't really want to understand. Everything else is really frantic though which is kinda fun because the fire fights are INTENSE!

I love how it zooms back on who killed you and the rivalries are frickin' awesome.

That... avatar... where... is... it... from... ?

Jacobi

Banned
Damn I gotta play this again after I finished my endless After Effects-Rendering.

I'm sorry Icy, I wanted to donate some but I don't have a credit card yet...

Are there any news about the new offical maps?

Icy

Banned
Jacobi said:
Damn I gotta play this again after I finished my endless After Effects-Rendering.

I'm sorry Icy, I wanted to donate some but I don't have a credit card yet...

Are there any news about the new offical maps?

None yet. If anyone wants to donate with other methods, snail mail,etc. Just send me a PM. I'll work something out. I just can't do PayPal.

Firestorm

Medic is the class I feel is really easy to start out as. Just hope there's another medic so you don't have to accept too much responsibility right away. No aim required, just heal heal heal and follow people around to learn the map better.

1-D_FTW

I think if I were just starting to play now, I might pick medic to begin with too. Look at the top of the scoreboard for decent players and follow them. Just remember to use your uber when it's full (and appropriate.) Medics who run around with 100 percent uber until they die are not cool.

But once you have some comfort, just experiment till you find the class you like. I know my initial impression of the soldier wasn't very good. Everything I aimed at I missed cause the rockets were so slow. But once the game slowed down for me, I was able to pop into the chaos and lead targets like a pro. It's a ballet of chaos now.

I think you're gonna find all the classes are difficult in the beginning, however, cause you're playing against people who've gotten their learning curves out of the way.

In the early days, I could play engineer and place a turret in a really stupid position and still get some good kills out of it. Today, those things will be destroyed almost immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom