• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Icy said:
I've done and several people have had the end of my teleporting extravaganza. Ask Hito and Java man about being above the map. :D

Well helllllloooooooo down there.

28vgmrp.jpg

mrpeabody

PillowKnight said:
Granary map changes

* Cover changes to the first capture points of both teams. Reduces some of the sight lines for defenders, and should make the area easier to capture

* Teams that are holding more points will receive a greater spawn time bonus (spawn timer reduced for the winning team). This should help attacking teams build momentum
* Added windows overlooking the final cap from the capture point 2 building (via new room next to conveyor route)
* Moved the middle spawn points farther forward (saves 6-7 seconds off a Heavy's run from this spawn to enemy capture point 2)
They made the last point of Granary EASIER to capture? Jesus, it was already impossible to defend.

mrpeabody said:
They made the last point of Granary EASIER to capture? Jesus, it was already impossible to defend.
Well there is now more cover (which is better for the defense id say) , but the new room they added is an excellent snipe spot and sets another entry way into the last battleground.

mrpeabody said:

If you listen to the commentary, they want a definite winner. But I'm not saying that I agree with such a change. I'll have to test out the massive update.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Did the splash back from a rocket at someone's feet get buffed? It's starting to piss me off, always throwing people half way across the map. I shoot at their feet then they are gone from my sight and i end up dying. fuck i hate the rocket now!

I don't know about soldiers, but I know demos know how to disrupt an uber at the start of a match (especially Dustbowl). I guess they load a bunch of sticky bombs under me because as I launch into the air the chain between the uber is broken :( very frustrating grrr. you people are getting too good

1-D_FTW

omgimaninja said:
I don't know about soldiers, but I know demos know how to disrupt an uber at the start of a match (especially Dustbowl). I guess they load a bunch of sticky bombs under me because as I launch into the air the chain between the uber is broken :( very frustrating grrr. you people are getting too good

That happened a long time ago to me on I one of the custom maps (The original Well?). We got penned in with a sentry on our own roof and the majority of their team always outside our gate. So we ubered up, took two steps out, and I got launched like a missle by the stickies.

Cool thing was, I flew past all their defenses and was then able to get into their intel room. Wasn't able to return it all the way, but even getting the intel forced their team to retreat after me and allowed our team to break-out.

Dustbowl could really suck, though. No forward flying with those pitches. More people are gonna have to adapt my heavily guarded CP strategy. Walk right into stickies, force the the demoman to blow you to smithereens, and hope your teammates take advantage of the cleared ground and rush out. Although Dustbowl starts are such a demo cluster****, even that's easier said than done.

Firestorm

Coming out of Dustbowl, I once got blowed over to the other side of the ridge along with the soldier I was healing. Was pretty funny.

Icy

Banned
Server is gonna shutdown in December.

3 people made donations via amazon and now almost a month later, reversed charges. So a good 61 bucks has been removed from my bank account. Thanks whoever you are!

Cheeto

Icy said:

3 people made donations via amazon and now almost a month later, reversed charges. So a good 61 bucks has been removed from my bank account. Thanks whoever you are!
Thats fucked up...I didn't even know that was possible on amazon. Sucks though, sorry.

JoeFu

Banned
Icy said:

NOOOO

COME ON GUYS! DONATE SOME MORE!

I'm going to donate some right now.

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight: I've noticed you playing on the Weapons of Mass Destruction server a couple of times. Do you have smooth gameplay on that? My ping is a not horrible 50-something, but both times I've joined that server it's been horribly laggy. I think I've had smoother 300 ping games on dial-up modems. Is it just me?

1-D_FTW said:
PillowKnight: I've noticed you playing on the Weapons of Mass Destruction server a couple of times. Do you have smooth gameplay on that? My ping is a not horrible 50-something, but both times I've joined that server it's been horribly laggy. I think I've had smoother 300 ping games on dial-up modems. Is it just me?
It's not just you the jitteryness is server side. I really don't like that server only reason i join there is because people on my friends list frequent it.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

its jitters from a oversold server. CPU is overloaded.

1-D_FTW

Not to be an ungrateful smartass (because I've definitely appreciated everything you've done), but if this server was to be fully donation funded, why didn't you say it from the beginning and set up some sort of info page. This is how much GAF has donated, this is how much needs to be donated to keep going. I know there were posting early on asking for this kind of information. And it's why I didn't donate early on, cause we were completely blind about what was going on.

And why in the world were there 3 gaf servers? Realistically gaf never needed more than one. The only thing worse than wondering why there were three servers, was the period where the east and central were locked until west filled up. I truly thought you must have been rich to be paying for three servers (that were mostly populated by pubbers.)

It's seems to be a moot point since gaf seems to have moved on, anyways. I've found a game with a bunch of gaffers once in the last week. It makes me sad that gaf has moved on because I certainly haven't found anything that replaces it.

Again, despite the above criticism, I've appreciated everything you've done, Icy. You've rocked. I just think the whole situation could have been handled better.

P.S. If anyone knows of a good TF2 community with a healthy amount of players, please post it. Us PC gaffers are such a small community, we can't withstand the exodus that seems to have occurred.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
1-D_FTW said:
Us PC gaffers are such a small community, we can't withstand the exodus that seems to have occurred.
Probably busy with other games. CoD4, Crysis, and UT3 is coming up. Interests will jump back up when they introduce the new maps and voice stuff.

And I agree about the donation issue. I donated a bit but Icy, you really need to be a bit transparent as to how much funds are how much server costs are. Otherwise it just seems like tossing money into the void.

Cheeto

fallengorn said:
Probably busy with other games. CoD4, Crysis, and UT3 is coming up. Interests will jump back up when they introduce the new maps and voice stuff.

And I agree about the donation issue. I donated a bit but Icy, you really need to be a bit transparent as to how much funds are how much server costs are. Otherwise it just seems like tossing money into the void.
Gameservers.com offers a clan pay option. Which allows you to donate through them, via paypal or whatever, but you don't donate directly to a person. You donate to the server's account. It'll show you a meter corresponding to the total monthly bill of the server.

Tokubetsu

I finally seriously sat down and played TF2 for a couple hours last night. So much fun. I'm a member of the gaf steam group, Id is "Tokubetsu"

Icy

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Gameservers.com offers a clan pay option. Which allows you to donate through them, via paypal or whatever, but you don't donate directly to a person. You donate to the server's account. It'll show you a meter corresponding to the total monthly bill of the server.

and same problem. You cannot stop someone from going back and reversing the charges. I've heard horror stories of some people reversing their donations and then clanpay/gameservers.com take it from your account and if you're in the negative servers are shutdown without question or notification.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Not to be an ungrateful smartass (because I've definitely appreciated everything you've done), but if this server was to be fully donation funded, why didn't you say it from the beginning and set up some sort of info page. This is how much GAF has donated, this is how much needs to be donated to keep going. I know there were posting early on asking for this kind of information. And it's why I didn't donate early on, cause we were completely blind about what was going on.

And why in the world were there 3 gaf servers? Realistically gaf never needed more than one. The only thing worse than wondering why there were three servers, was the period where the east and central were locked until west filled up. I truly thought you must have been rich to be paying for three servers (that were mostly populated by pubbers.)

It's seems to be a moot point since gaf seems to have moved on, anyways. I've found a game with a bunch of gaffers once in the last week. It makes me sad that gaf has moved on because I certainly haven't found anything that replaces it.

Again, despite the above criticism, I've appreciated everything you've done, Icy. You've rocked. I just think the whole situation could have been handled better.

P.S. If anyone knows of a good TF2 community with a healthy amount of players, please post it. Us PC gaffers are such a small community, we can't withstand the exodus that seems to have occurred.

All of the initial investment came out of my pocket. If you goto the Amazon donation page, it shows the amount of payments and how much $ has been donated.

Firestorm

1-D_FTW said:

When I don't see GAFfers on or my friends playing anywhere, I usually go to the [-Q-] Teamwork Movement servers:
http://www.thetwm.com/endorsed/

Icy

Banned
Firestorm said:
When I don't see GAFfers on or my friends playing anywhere, I usually go to the [-Q-] Teamwork Movement servers:
http://www.thetwm.com/endorsed/

for the past week its been difficult to get a full neogaf tf2 game going like before.

With all the recent PC releases, Crysis, CoD4 and other console titles like Mario Galaxy, people are having fun trying other stuff and coming to TF2 for a break from it all.

Icy

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Didn't there used to be? I thought it was just that the server disabled it or something.

Timers are not server controlled. Map/Game Type controlled. There is no round timer for a CTF style map yet.

Hmm. I don't know if I should add a timer to the new version of my map or just leave it, then.

Maybe I'm imagining things but I could've sworn 2fort used to have a timer. Unless it was during the beta and they removed it?

JoeFu

Banned
Icy said:
for the past week its been difficult to get a full neogaf tf2 game going like before.

With all the recent PC releases, Crysis, CoD4 and other console titles like Mario Galaxy, people are having fun trying other stuff and coming to TF2 for a break from it all.

Yup, and finals are around the corner. I've had 4 major assignments due these past 2 weeks.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I hate to sound like an ass, but this sort of situation is exactly why going whole hog with multiple servers instead of setting some aside to make the server financially resilient was a bad idea.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
I hate to sound like an ass, but this sort of situation is exactly why going whole hog with multiple servers instead of setting some aside to make the server financially resilient was a bad idea.

alll donated funds kept the East server up.

other 2 were out of my pocket. and never touched donated funds.

Icy

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
Why not just shut down 2/3 of the servers, and everyone donates and we'll keep 1 exclusive neogaf server?

We only have 1 server ongoing. We had funds to keep going until 3 people decided to get their credit cards reversed and thus -60 some dollars. Only 1 donation has been made to help out and has brought it to -52

firex

I just donated $10... I know that's not going to single handedly keep the thing afloat but it's still worth it for the time I've put in on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom